Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Arcsquad12 posted:

When did The Lost World film come out? That one had a Brontosaurus running loose in London. It had to have been the 20s.

That was 1925, as the precursor to King Kong 1933

And it itself was preceded by Ghosts of Slumber Mountain, the most homoerotic film of the 1910s, made in 1918

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'm going to disappoint a few of you by pointing out that the figures near Rodan most likely are not direct references to Gigan. They're obviously human -- they've got human torsos and legs -- and that they've got beasty parts is very in line with meso-American artwork.

https://i.imgur.com/71CeegI.png

The figures flanking Rodan are probably wearing headdresses and other clothing to give themselves the appearance of Rodan, the way the Aztecs and Mayans would wear animal headdresses.

That said it still loving looks like a tiny Gigan and I hope there's Gigan at some point in this film series.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Double post

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

my cat is norris posted:

I'm going to disappoint a few of you by pointing out that the figures near Rodan most likely are not direct references to Gigan. They're obviously human -- they've got human torsos and legs -- and that they've got beasty parts is very in line with meso-American artwork.

The figures flanking Rodan are probably wearing headdresses and other clothing to give themselves the appearance of Rodan, the way the Aztecs and Mayans would wear animal headdresses.

That said it still loving looks like a tiny Gigan and I hope there's Gigan at some point in this film series.

so its frankenstein's monster then

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
This is probably a good a place as any to ask this. When I was a kid, (in the UK) they showed an all night Kaiju marathon that was presented as a sports event, with one on one matchups, commentators calling the fights and presenters in the studio analysing the action. It ended with Godzilla fighting Kong in the main event. The fight ended in the water, and Kong won (Which was loving bullshit by the way, he was fighting Godzilla in the WATER!). Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? I'd love to watch it again.

Sinistral
Jan 2, 2013

CityMidnightJunky posted:

This is probably a good a place as any to ask this. When I was a kid, (in the UK) they showed an all night Kaiju marathon that was presented as a sports event, with one on one matchups, commentators calling the fights and presenters in the studio analysing the action. It ended with Godzilla fighting Kong in the main event. The fight ended in the water, and Kong won (Which was loving bullshit by the way, he was fighting Godzilla in the WATER!). Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? I'd love to watch it again.

Sounds like King Kong vs Godzilla:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Kong_vs._Godzilla

And yes, Kong winning is utter bullshit.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

my cat is norris posted:

Quetzalcoatl gets all the attention.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Toho Kong has lightning powers so it's an even match.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Toho Kong has lightning powers so it's an even match.

IIRC, the Japanese version of GvK had Godzilla win, and the American version had Kong win.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

No that's just an urban legend

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

All that changed was the roar over the end title.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Are you asking about the movie or the TV event itself

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Burkion posted:

Are you asking about the movie or the TV event itself

The TV event itself, ideally.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Sinistral posted:

And yes, Kong winning is utter bullshit.

Fighting is all fixed; Godzilla clearly took a dive because Kong was the bigger box office draw at the time. Sorry to shatter the illusion for ya kiddo, but it's all fake. If it's any consolation, Kong was dead from alcoholism within ten years.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

my cat is norris posted:

I feel like you could spin Gigan and MechaGodzilla into the same movie because of their alien origins. Just take Godzilla vs. Gigan's story in very broad strokes (aliens bring monsters to take over earth, ends with Godzilla and Anguirus vs. Gigan and Ghidorah) and replace Ghidorah with MechaGodzilla and you've got a third movie.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

HannibalBarca posted:

Fighting is all fixed; Godzilla clearly took a dive because Kong was the bigger box office draw at the time. Sorry to shatter the illusion for ya kiddo, but it's all fake. If it's any consolation, Kong was dead from alcoholism within ten years.

Kong comes back and everyone thinks he's also a good guy but then drops a table over Godzilla and reveals his NWO shirt.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Burkion posted:

Conquest of the Pole 1912 is the first giant monster movie.

It features an Ice Giant that comes in and begins to attack our main cast, fending off artillery strikes and the like all the while. Even done with a giant life sized super puppet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOGuRCwVCD0

fact of the day for ya

This is pretty cool.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Stairmaster posted:

No that's just an urban legend

IIRC it was the Crestwood House book that started the rumor, and Trivial Pursuit ran with it on a card, so it became publicly accepted knowledge.

Also Re: Gigan, yeah, that looks like Meso-American art for sure, but these guys who are making this movie know drat well who Gigan is. The resemblance can't be coincidental. It could just be an easter egg by the artist, but that seems a stretch.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

If you weren't hyped enough, apparently Bear McCreary's going to incorporate the Godzilla theme into his score

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Choco1980 posted:

It could just be an easter egg by the artist, but that seems a stretch.

Well, a lot of kaiju are riffs on pretty common mythological monsters, and Legendary's take is that most of those real-world myths were inspired by kaiju so it's kind of academic. The website explicitly cites Ghidorah as the source of myths about the hydra, for example. This hyper-luminescent Mothra wouldn't be hard to confuse with legends about angels and gods of light. Godzilla at the end of the day is a fairly standard sea monster until you start getting into his atomic stuff.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Hee hee

https://twitter.com/Mike_Dougherty/status/1021573547284553728

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I am so glad I saw this thread today. I watched the anime Godzilla two nights ago, the 2014 US Godzilla last night (got bored right at the climax and stopped watching), and tonight I watched this one and its loving incredible. I love the original Godzilla for all the obvious reasons vis-a-vis its writing, sophistication, thoughtful metaphors about science and unstoppable natural forces, and cinematography, and this one is the only Godzilla movie I've seen that felt like an actual sequel/spiritual successor to the original.

Thanks thread

ed: also the jazz sountrack and the Ianucci type quick cuts or whatever for the PM and his cabinet were just awesome

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 24, 2018

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

:drat:

That's loving incredible. They even put in the twins !

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1021547199942090763

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I just got to watch Shin Godzilla the same day the new Legendary trailer dropped. I'm excited for the Legendary film, but way more hyped for what comes next out of Toho after watching that. I even watched it again the next day and that's something I almost never do with any movie. Shin Godzilla really set the bar high for me, the cultural critique on nuclear weapons/disasters is something I think the American films leave behind or would have a very hard time adapting to the audience. That Evangelion music call back was unexpected but fitting given how much Anno applied the cinematography and special effects style from Eva on to the movie.

Is there a next step from Toho? I can't imagine they would hit it out of the park and rest on it while Legendary makes a modern expanded universe. Thinking about it, was Godzilla one of the first cinematic expanded universes? I think from the '84 on they were linked or sequential right? I remember the older ones also having all the monsters moved to that island to contain them together too.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

BBC2 Monster Night. Had a documentary about Godzilla, interludes with Bill Bailey and Phil Jupitus with those bets, concluded with a midnight airing of Godzilla vs King Ghidorah '91. I recorded most of it on VHS but that's gone now. Someone preserved the documentary and I have a digital copy of that, but look around Youtube, maybe archive.org, or other places.

They had a similar night for Doctor Who which I had also recorded and lost.

edit: let's be specific
https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/92b0364341c847ffaab395dc9973443f
edit2: This guy has 4 intervals and the whole documentary in 4 parts: youtube.com/user/zillastyledotcom

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 24, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Someone was saying eco terrorist character has a device that lets her communicate or somehow understand the kaiju? If that's true and the device isn't literally the twins in that box why even film the movie?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Because the twins can only control Mothra, duh

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Honestly if this movie doesn’t end with Godzilla blowing up the planet and ending in Hell what’s the point of anything?

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 24, 2018

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Honestly if this movie doesn’t end with Godzilla blowing up the planet and ending in Hell what’s the point of anything?

I'd settle for

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I'd settle for

The crossover isn't until Godzilla vs. Kong.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

LesterGroans posted:

The crossover isn't until Godzilla vs. Kong.

That's obviously a layup.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I'd settle for

Seriously, where is Charles Barkley rumored for Godzilla va Kong?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Choco1980 posted:

Zone Fighter slowly walks away as the sad Hulk music plays

Redman jumps out of nowhere and stabs the poo poo out of Ghidora

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Amechwarrior posted:

Thinking about it, was Godzilla one of the first cinematic expanded universes? I think from the '84 on they were linked or sequential right? I remember the older ones also having all the monsters moved to that island to contain them together too.

The first cinematic universe was the Universal Monsters series from the 1930s to the 1940s, with the first big crossover being Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman, serving as a sequel to both Ghost of Frankenstein and The Wolfman

Godzilla had the most ambitious one though, with Godzilla VS King Kong 1962, Godzilla VS Mothra 1964, and Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster 1964 all bringing in characters from otherwise solo movies that built into a greater unified universe.

Destroy All Monsters is probably still the biggest crossover movie in all of cinema.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Destroy All Monsters made me a life long G-fan. My parents taped it on a VHS and I watched it religiously.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Vintersorg posted:

Destroy All Monsters made me a life long G-fan. My parents taped it on a VHS and I watched it religiously.

same, but it was a VHS copy of Megalon with them fighting on top of the World Trade Center

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gatts posted:

Seriously, where is Charles Barkley rumored for Godzilla va Kong?

First they need to do the Space Jam sequel with the Chaos Dunk.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Szmitten posted:

BBC2 Monster Night. Had a documentary about Godzilla, interludes with Bill Bailey and Phil Jupitus with those bets, concluded with a midnight airing of Godzilla vs King Ghidorah '91. I recorded most of it on VHS but that's gone now. Someone preserved the documentary and I have a digital copy of that, but look around Youtube, maybe archive.org, or other places.

They had a similar night for Doctor Who which I had also recorded and lost.

edit: let's be specific
https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/92b0364341c847ffaab395dc9973443f
edit2: This guy has 4 intervals and the whole documentary in 4 parts: youtube.com/user/zillastyledotcom

That's it! Thanks so much for this. This was probably the first real exposure to Godzilla movies for me, and it blew my 12 year old mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

That's it! Thanks so much for this. This was probably the first real exposure to Godzilla movies for me, and it blew my 12 year old mind.

It's a shame this stuff doesn't get preserved often, and how easy it is to lose the tapes. Glad there's some preservation though, it's a great pre-Millenium documentary.

Edit: In fact, that may well have been the western premiere of vs King Ghidorah since the broadcast was 11th July 98 and the VHS wasn't until later that week, and there wasn't a theatrical release. That's pretty fascinating, what a neat marathon that was.

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 24, 2018