Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
lol chris pratt said a variation of that joke on conan in german a while back. good joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

infernal machines posted:

the AI ev thread is full of people going "yeah, so? this is perfectly normal and my company does it all the time"

let me guess: they all work for near-failing startups

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Endless Mike posted:

let me guess: they all work for near-failing startups

this is actually super common in automotive but tesla continues to innovate cause they're doing it in the dumbest manner possible

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Tesla is asking their suppliers to take a retroactive haircut on parts they've already shipped:

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/07/tesla-to-suppliers-take-a-hit-to-make-us-great/

we assumed you were going to do it for the exposure
yospos now quoting conservative blogs i see

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

the AI ev thread is full of people going "yeah, so? this is perfectly normal and my company does it all the time"

i mean, my last job would withhold and delay payment all the time, and would try to lie and browbeat vendors in order to get out of contractual agreements

but my last job is owned by lying scumbags

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Tesla is asking their suppliers to take a retroactive haircut on parts they've already shipped:

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/07/tesla-to-suppliers-take-a-hit-to-make-us-great/

we assumed you were going to do it for the exposure

https://electrek.co/2018/07/23/tesla-suppliers-reduce-cost-become-profitable/amp/

quote:

Electrek’s Take
There’s nothing uncommon about a company trying to get suppliers to reduce their prices, but it certainly strange that they would ask to be reimbursed for previous payments on part programs that started years ago.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i mean, my last job would withhold and delay payment all the time, and would try to lie and browbeat vendors in order to get out of contractual agreements

but my last job is owned by lying scumbags

haha holy fuk

i had a job that held off payment for all our vendors for a month and a half so our cash on hand would look better at the end of the year

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i used to work for a private art gallery that pulled that poo poo all the time, mostly because the owner was terrible with money and just played fast and loose with everything

in practice it meant we went through contractors like toilet paper and he wasted tons of money on having the staff deal with suppliers he couldn't just shuck and jive

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

by electrek standards that's the equivalent of them making GBS threads on a tesla flag, setting it on fire, pissing on the ashes, and then making GBS threads on it again

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

obstipator posted:

lol chris pratt said a variation of that joke on conan in german a while back. good joke

the "you gently caress one <farm animal>..." joke is super old, usually it's a scotsman loving just one sh

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/QTRResearch/status/1021481848403382272

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Why the gently caress are twitter threads not in chronological order? Useless

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Warning! Warning! This is NOT a joke. :siren: some random person deleted their twitter :siren:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
is nobody safe? who's next, The Rational Pedophile?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Cocoa Crispies posted:

is nobody safe? who's next, The Rational Pedophile?

help, timmy fell down a well actually

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
who spends enough time reading twitter to understand all these dang storylines

that's what i like about musk so much, he fits all the impotent rage into 255 characters

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Blue Train posted:

one state wanted to use fentanyl to kill a guy and some anti death penalty group said it's never been used before and they shouldn't experiment on the guy. p sure fentanyl has a good history of killing people

people kill themselves with fen everyday. i’m pretty sure i just took a dose of fen in this other fake rear end drug. dealers always say it has no fen but i’m like please please please just let it kill me.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

powerful people slash companies do this all the time. see jamiebuilds vs. microsoft

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

elon musk sucks and tesla is poo poo, tesla stans however are the fuckin worst

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/model-3-rear-door-exit

quote:

Just back from New York's Tesla showroom where they have an actual Model 3 to sit in and experience. I reserved one on day one, and am waiting for my email.
Took my wife who liked the car very much except, we were greatly disappointed after finding out that a rear door exit is only possible as long as there is power. It is hard to believe that Tesla would skimp on something as vital as a way to escape after an accident. Imagine sitting in the back next to your baby in their car seat and it happens, you must quickly exit, do you do as they suggest climb out through the trunk after finding the release, break the side glass with the tire iron you always have with you, then, what about your baby, even worse what if you were hit in the back blocking any possible exit that way?.
If they can charge thousands for options, even for the color of the paint. It seems unbelievable they cannot afford to include a mechanical door release into their back doors.

quote:

We don't really know how the car will react to an accident, maybe it's worth waiting for official collision testing to see how the rear doors will react.

quote:

Don't use the back seat then.

quote:

Front passengers can exit using the emergency releases, then they open the rear doors from outside.

quote:

Wow. Every two door car with more than two seats is more dangerous for the back seat passengers based on your ignorant post. Please cancel your order and get you fully refundable deposit back. If you are just here to stir up trouble change your forum name and come back in one week and post the same thing.

quote:

Model_D hits it on the nose.

Every two-door coupe, and vehicle with third-row seats, is apparently a deathtrap.

Sheesh, get a life people.

quote:

that's an interesting concept. You're essentially buying a sedan that, potentially, can have its exiting accommodations be reduced to that of a coupe in the case of an accident.

If a coupe can be sold as a safe vehicle, I don't see how any safety regulation entity would take issue with a sedan with at least the safe exit accommodations of a coupe.

Whether or not this is ideal, though, is certainly in the eyes of the reservation holder. No one's making you choose this car as your next vehicle.

I think what you mean to say, then, is that you WISH the car had the same exiting accommodations as most sedans do these days. However, we already know the Model 3 isn't trying to be your typical sedan, and just as many who have wished the Model 3 had a binnacle (since it's a recurring public opinion that it's "dangerous" to be glancing at the far right of the center screen while driving) will continue to be told, maybe the Model 3 just isn't the right car for you.

quote:

I'm with Frank and Model_D. Typically children would be in the back seat with child safety locks engaged, so the Model 3 situation is no different than that.

quote:

It would be a true edge-instance for a rear passenger to end up trapped back there. Lots of things would have to go wrong at the same time.

Could happen, but not particularly likely - I'd go so far as to say "decidedly unlikely"

quote:

Hold on people, there isn't enough information, this is a lot of speculation. Somebody with a M# run into a pole at 50 Mph and see if the rear door opens

quote:

Don't worry the fire department has tools to get the doors open even if there is no power or severe body damage prevents the door from moving.

quote:

I'm less worried about this to be honest. I expect it will be a safer car overall for all passengers in any situation. A perceived flaw like this doesn't overcome performance in crash testing, rollover, etc. You could die in any car any time, children included. Random unpreventable stuff happens. By that logic, it is safest not to drive at all. While that is extreme, I think the safety pros here will outweigh the cons, and I think the model X and S have proven that to be true so far.

quote:

Once again, this is NOT a problem at all. Already covered in multiple other threads. At the ridk of seeming mean or dismissive, please do not fault an electric car company for having faith in electricity for just about every function of the cars they build.

quote:

Ah, ha! In the document @Carl Thompson posted, a few pages after the note that doors can't be opened without 12 volt are the instructions for connecting an external 12 volt source. While it's *possible* these could also be damaged, it does give an additional option for powering enough to open the rear doors if needed.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

that sure is some text i read

tesla bad

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/Paul_M_Huettner/status/1021763708547203073?s=19

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

elon kill the osha inspector

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

that sure is some text i read

tesla bad

Here's a summary: if you're worried about your kids burning to death in the backseat of your family sedan because the doors won't open in an accident just don't use the backseat or buy a different car you big oil shill

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

do Tesla’s even have the folding front seats like coupes? and if so does it only work with power because if not I’m gonna have to give the safety nod to coupes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what is a "tesla stan"

i mean i know it's a fanboy but what does the term mean

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sagebrush posted:

what is a "tesla stan"

i mean i know it's a fanboy but what does the term mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSLZFdqwh7E

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lol that's better than i was expecting

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Blue Train posted:

Here's a summary: if you're worried about your kids burning to death in the backseat of your family sedan because the doors won't open in an accident just don't use the backseat or buy a different car you big oil shill

nice

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Baxate posted:

do Tesla’s even have the folding front seats like coupes? and if so does it only work with power because if not I’m gonna have to give the safety nod to coupes

Doesn't look like it, back seats fold down to let you into the trunk which is the tasks-ordained method of allowing your frightened children to escape the thousand degree lithium fire

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Blue Train posted:

Doesn't look like it, back seats fold down to let you into the trunk which is the tasks-ordained method of allowing your frightened children to escape the thousand degree lithium fire

isn't the trunk release button on the ipad

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
presumably, in yet another concession to tyrannical government overreach, there's a manual release cord in the trunk

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

presumably, in yet another concession to tyrannical government overreach, there's a miniature tablet in the trunk that can release the trunk after it finishes booting and installs updates

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ah, https://relayto.com/tesla/tesla-model-3-owner-s-guide-qyx4ldbb/pdf, page 12. there's a mechanical button

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

presumably, in yet another concession to tyrannical government overreach, there's a manual release cord in the trunk

aka the kidnap victim escape mechanism

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

this descriptor is forbidden here, thank you

please refer to them as bazingas in the future

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Cat Face Joe posted:

please refer to them as bazingas in the future

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Baxate posted:

yeah, as far as i can tell, none of them have ever actually been in a four seat coupe or van/truck with a third row (except a model s which the rear seats are a deathtrap)

yeah, this is required in all cars with a trunk. whoever it is that drives an elise can confirm its trunk has one despite the fact that you can't fit a human larger than a baby in there.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
get in here kwinkles

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

quote:

Imagine sitting in the back next to your baby in their car seat and it happens, you must quickly exit, do you do as they suggest climb out through the trunk after finding the release, break the side glass with the tire iron you always have with you, then, what about your baby, even worse what if you were hit in the back blocking any possible exit that way?.

quote:

Don't use the back seat then.

child safety, how does it work? :psyduck:

i mean saying its the law probably won't work with this person because ~innovation~ requires breaking your foolish illiberal "safety laws"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
hey you know what they say; to make an omelet you gotta burn a few infants to death

or something