Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea I don't see why anyone would care that she asked about that. feel bad for that girl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Maybe I haven't read enough manga my life, but that question seems pretty harmless. Why are people using words like "audacity"? Why did they block it entirely?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Shipping can be a very divisive topic depending upon the fandom.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Shipping can be a very divisive topic depending upon the fandom.

Unlike harassment and dogpiling, apparently

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I can understand the people running the panel not wanting to talk about that stuff to avoid people being lovely, but people sure did it anyway and that's not the girl who asked the question's fault

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I don't think it's the worst question you could possibly ask a creator or anything, but I do think it's a strange one. For one, even if they can communicate the question, "which characters do you see as romantically involved?" or something, are there writers out there who "ship" their own characters? Or would he just answer with the basically canon pairs? Or, more likely, he probably wouldn't answer at all since he understands how these things work and wouldn't want to risk canonizing a pairing and alienating part of the fan base. It's a silly thing to take that seriously, but probably one authors with popular series' are conscious of.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
"which of your characters do you think would be cute together?" isn't that weird of a question

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's a harmless question that isn't great because it's tough for someone working on a thing to make a comment on that kinda stuff since they're privy to information that the consumers aren't at that point. Plus people take things seriously and if it's said by the author there goes anyone's freedom to draw things that don't happen in the manga because people are weird about fiction.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

That's the kind of fan art I can see getting people uncomfortable with this arc, though it isn't the manga's fault at all. It basically ignores all of Endeavor's characterization into making some cute/meme-y "good boy" nonesense. The one further back where the situation is reversed and Hawks is the one with a child Endeavor on his lap actually gets the dynamic right, since it was Hawks who was guiding and supporting Endeavor during this arc.

I agree, fanart should stay as canon as possible and venturing away from that is degeneracy.

Stairmaster posted:

Dekus dad is saitama

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

All I see is Kira cosplaying as All Might cosplaying as Superman.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
Pictured: me and all this Miruko art

Glad we get a chapter this week while One Piece is on break. Curious to see where things go.

bacon flaps fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 24, 2018

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Charlie Bobson posted:

"which of your characters do you think would be cute together?" isn't that weird of a question

'Ship' and 'canon' are also not really terms as used by Japanese creators. Ippei is an artist who works on the FE series and he does some personal art on twitter and was... very confused when the word 'Headcanon' was used.

And it is a weird question for the creator because if he thinks characters would be cute together, he'd just write them together. Because he's the creator and they aren't real with wills of their own.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

Did language evolve when i wasnt looking and we now refer to official couples as ships too

I've recently had at least two people refer to my relationship as their "favorite ship" or "actual OTP." Its like thanks I guess but we are real people and not TV show characters. Shippers have abandoned God

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Skypie posted:

Shippers have abandoned God

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

There's a livestream going on right now where the cast are talking about the movie, and I'm :allears:-ing at Deku's VA rocking Deku's big red shoes with that suit.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

RareAcumen posted:

I agree, fanart should stay as canon as possible and venturing away from that is degeneracy.

Disagreeing with one kind of representation is not the same as disagreeing with all kinds of representation. So maybe next time try not to turn my statement into a straw man?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I think there's plenty of western artists who would gladly answer the shipping question, because they pretty much came up out of fandom, but I also think it's pretty clear that Horikoshi isn't one of those people.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Charlie Bobson posted:

"What characters do you ship?" Is a bit more loaded of a question than that, I understand why they didn't let the question through.

amigolupus posted:

There's a livestream going on right now where the cast are talking about the movie, and I'm :allears:-ing at Deku's VA rocking Deku's big red shoes with that suit.

This is amazing.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.
What if her name is Milk

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
If you asked any author "Which of your characters do you ship?" their response would nearly always be "Keep reading to find out!" with a big wink. Then everybody would chuckle and move on.

Alternately he could say "I always thought Ochako and Mineta would make a cute couple" and watch the world burn.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Uraraka is clearly his favorite and he considers Mineta somewhat as a personal standin so that checks out. Ship approved.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

amigolupus posted:

The VAs for the core cast are actually weirdly way into the series as a whole. Iirc Deku and I think Iida's voice actors are practically fanboys.

LiSA who sang the second ED is a fan too, and uh kind of a fujo.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Mirage posted:

If you asked any author "Which of your characters do you ship?" their response would nearly always be "Keep reading to find out!" with a big wink. Then everybody would chuckle and move on.

Alternately he could say "I always thought Ochako and Mineta would make a cute couple" and watch the world burn.

its america so someone would immediately shoot him if he said that

En Family Mook
Apr 29, 2017

From what I've picked up, the big reason "The Fandom" was so against shipping being brought up is because the whole scene around it can get is pretty toxic and any answer he gives would probably result in tons of negativity dominating the discourse on tumblr, twitter and wherever else people get weird about shipping. Obliviously this is all the politics from a subset of a subset of fans but I think after the death threats and what not, people were afraid the negativity would get loud enough to reach him and sour his experience in America.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

JK Rowling regretted shipping Ron and Hermione

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Terper posted:

JK Rowling regretted shipping Ron and Hermione

I’m guessing a bunch of that came from the movies where Ron and Hermione had 0 chemistry.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

JK Rowling should regret a lot of things

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

JK Rowling should regret a lot of things

Want to expand a bit on this incendiary take?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

OTP: This cosplay x my monitor

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

TheKingofSprings posted:

She has some real weird and bad political stances and also has had multiple instances of looking transphobic/terfy tweets. Been slowly digging a whole for a whole tbh

Also the hp series had a sloppy conclusion

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Rhonne posted:

I hope we get Miruko's actual color scheme soon. I remember being really thrown off when I found out Bubble Girl actually had blue skin.

Wait.

Bubble Girl has what?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Supremezero posted:

Wait.

Bubble Girl has what?

https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/884703467348021248

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Gravy Boat 2k

TheKingofSprings posted:

Follow the money

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Follow the money

Okay, I'm at the banana stand. Now what?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

im gonna take a bold stance: i dont dislike bubble girl

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Underboob and unbuttoned short shorts is too horny for a wholesome show

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

JK Rowlings a bigot and a class traitor

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Eej posted:

Underboob and unbuttoned short shorts is too horny for a wholesome show

It's unbuttoned shorts over yoga pants, though. There have been Pokémon girls with worse.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Good lord, blue skin and yellow eyes is an unsettling combination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

RareAcumen posted:

Good lord, blue skin and yellow eyes is an unsettling combination.

Mystique, Beast, and Nightcrawler wholeheartedly agree