Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Bum the Sad posted:

Please sir, give me tuna tips.

Also that recipe looks good but gently caress deep frying shallots with a pint of oil and blotting them with eight layers of paper towels.

Double edit: apparently its a thai thing, and you can find fried shallots in jars/bags, I'll check an asian store.

Yeah the pre-fried shallots are fine to use, but just FYI making your own fried shallots is a one way ticket to flavor town and makes a huge difference.

It's actually not that messy, nor does it require a ton of paper towels, but the technique itself is kind of difficult in my experience. The shallots themselves go from perfect to burnt in about two seconds, so you have to be right on top of it. Up to you whether that's worth it or not.

In terms of selecting tuna you have a few variables. '

Taima's Quick Guide to buying good Tuna at Costco:

1) tuna quality runs from best to worst, from the top of the steak to the bottom.

Good sushi places often won't use the worst 2 cuts in anything but something like spicy tuna rolls... which is another topic entirely but basically spicy tuna rolls contain chopped up tuna, usually in a spicy mayo type sauce, so the lower quality parts of the steak are always used.

2) Do not be seduced by the "packed on" date!

Don't get me wrong, freshly packed tuna is always preferable, but be aware that the pack date has no bearing on the age of the tuna, only when it hit the shelf. Sometimes a steak that has been packed for a day or 2, but is super awesome quality, is going to beat out another steak that was packed that morning.

3) Less white connective tissue is always better

The steak that I broke down in step one has a decent amount of connective tissues, which is normal and fine but sometimes you can find steaks like below where the connective tissues are almost invisible.

These steaks result in more usable fish, and an increase in quality for the lesser sections of the tuna. It's a big win. Sometimes almost an entire tuna steak can be Sushi/poke/sashimi grade (but pretty rare).

3) Check for parasites and more importantly, abscesses

Costco is extremely careful of parasites and you won't realistically have any problems, but give the steak a quick once over and make sure there's no funny business.

The thing you need to care about more is abscesses, which are basically like pockets of fish that have become soft and gross. A good way to check for tuna quality is to kind of push on a few parts of the steak (don't be a dick, be careful with it) and see if the flesh bounces back and seems healthy. Do an outer inspection and make sure the outer walls of the steak are in good health.

Steaks also accumulate a kind of viscous liquid on them as they age, so getting a steak, if you can, that doesn't have this liquid is a good idea. However you can wash the liquid off when you get home, and it's not that important, just a nice-to-have.

4) The COLOR doesn't matter!

Everyone in the world wants to believe that ruby red, vibrant tuna is the best tuna. After all of these years I have yet to see that in practice. It's nice to have for presentation reasons, but meat quality is basically the same (as long as it's the color isn't TOO off, which if you see a sickly looking color or whatever, of course you would avoid that).

This is getting long as hell so I'm just gonna stop, let me know if you have any specific questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
gently caress yeah Costco cake. Gonna hit up that joint this week for a giant pallet of seltzer at COMPETITIVE PRICES

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Headed to church tonight. Fingers crossed they have the hamburger.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Flaggy posted:

Headed to church tonight. Fingers crossed they have the hamburger.

The burger is cool and good. Still would rather get the pizza myself though, but it definitely worth having at least once.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Ultimate Mango posted:

For the longest time I thought they were just stored under the tables of the bakery for the people in the back who make the custom cakes.

Now I realize those tubs are for sale and consumption, aren’t they?

Edit: :randstare:

They're just there for storage. Some managers may sell them but they're not out there for sale.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Hed posted:

Please elaborate on what these are and where I can find them.

They're not Kirkland brand but they're called "Pappalo's Combination Pizza Snack". You can find them in the freezer parts where they keep the patties, tacos and such. Pop them in the oven for 12 minutes and they are surprisingly good.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Bought some Nongshim UDON noodle bowls this weekend and just had one for lunch. They are pretty good.

I also bought the frozen vegetable ramen and that were good too. Though I think next time I have that one I will be adding in some protein of some sort. Maybe some pork or tuna.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I like the udon but I was disappointed in the Pho, I guess if I bought my own toppings and added it it would be ok.
It's basically just rice noodles.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Coredump posted:

They're not Kirkland brand but they're called "Pappalo's Combination Pizza Snack". You can find them in the freezer parts where they keep the patties, tacos and such. Pop them in the oven for 12 minutes and they are surprisingly good.

Thanks! As a toddler-have this sounds like a good thing to add to the toolkit.

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Laslow posted:

Going to costco high? Good idea or worst idea ever?
e: weed

Went shopping in Walmart after drinking all afternoon while on vacation. Most obnoxious yet super-fun 90 minutes as an adult since Motörhead/Cro-Mags.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
This weekend I bought some Costco pre-marinated bugolgi and a bag of frozen normandy veggies.

Today I stir fried the two together.

PBUC

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Back from church. No burger yet, did partake in communion though. PBUC

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

arisu posted:

Costco pre-marinated bugolgi

wait what

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah. It's one of those things in some areas but not everywhere. Super good and you usually find it in the cold take n go area by the chickens.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Yeah, we have that, but not the wings. Feels bad.

tacosupreme
Jun 24, 2006
ask me about men.

Laslow posted:

Going to costco high? Good idea or worst idea ever?
e: weed

I went kinda buzzed on the fourth of July. Rather than get a cart I grabbed a cardboard box used in stocking and started putting stuff in it. Got pretty heavy when I went back for the second bag of trident fishsticks which are great. I like the side note on the bag which specifies what the ratio of fish to bread is (65/35 Alaskan pollock). Ultimately a rewarding experience - people kept helping me with the cardboard box of increasing weight.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah. It's one of those things in some areas but not everywhere. Super good and you usually find it in the cold take n go area by the chickens.

I wish they sold this in like 1/4 or 1/2 size portions. I want to try it but my family probably won't eat it and it would be too much just for me. I guess i could freeze it but it still is costly for such a big container.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Trastion posted:

I wish they sold this in like 1/4 or 1/2 size portions. I want to try it but my family probably won't eat it and it would be too much just for me. I guess i could freeze it but it still is costly for such a big container.

This is what I do. Cut it up as soon as I get it home, and then put each portion into a gallon freezer bag.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Trastion posted:

Yea that's what I did too. Just portion it out and freeze them in smaller bags. I only used 1/3 of it last night when I cooked, and that's still enough for 2 meals.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I guess I will have to buy it next time I am in the store.

You said "cut it up" is it a single large piece of beef in there? or is it just big chunks? I thought from what I saw that it was cut up already along with the onions.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

It's basically thinly sliced beef bunched together, you don't really need to cut it up. It peels apart, though cold it has a tendency to stick together.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I feel like the slices are too big to comfortably cook and eat, so I chop it smaller pre-freezing. Mostly personal preference I guess. Do let it come to room temp before cooking though!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

Went shopping in Walmart after drinking all afternoon while on vacation. Most obnoxious yet super-fun 90 minutes as an adult since Motörhead/Cro-Mags.

:frogout:

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Sam Walton has infiltrated us

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Taima posted:

Yeah the pre-fried shallots are fine to use, but just FYI making your own fried shallots is a one way ticket to flavor town and makes a huge difference.

It's actually not that messy, nor does it require a ton of paper towels, but the technique itself is kind of difficult in my experience. The shallots themselves go from perfect to burnt in about two seconds, so you have to be right on top of it. Up to you whether that's worth it or not.

In terms of selecting tuna you have a few variables. '

Taima's Quick Guide to buying good Tuna at Costco:

1) tuna quality runs from best to worst, from the top of the steak to the bottom.

Good sushi places often won't use the worst 2 cuts in anything but something like spicy tuna rolls... which is another topic entirely but basically spicy tuna rolls contain chopped up tuna, usually in a spicy mayo type sauce, so the lower quality parts of the steak are always used.

2) Do not be seduced by the "packed on" date!

Don't get me wrong, freshly packed tuna is always preferable, but be aware that the pack date has no bearing on the age of the tuna, only when it hit the shelf. Sometimes a steak that has been packed for a day or 2, but is super awesome quality, is going to beat out another steak that was packed that morning.

3) Less white connective tissue is always better

The steak that I broke down in step one has a decent amount of connective tissues, which is normal and fine but sometimes you can find steaks like below where the connective tissues are almost invisible.

These steaks result in more usable fish, and an increase in quality for the lesser sections of the tuna. It's a big win. Sometimes almost an entire tuna steak can be Sushi/poke/sashimi grade (but pretty rare).

3) Check for parasites and more importantly, abscesses

Costco is extremely careful of parasites and you won't realistically have any problems, but give the steak a quick once over and make sure there's no funny business.

The thing you need to care about more is abscesses, which are basically like pockets of fish that have become soft and gross. A good way to check for tuna quality is to kind of push on a few parts of the steak (don't be a dick, be careful with it) and see if the flesh bounces back and seems healthy. Do an outer inspection and make sure the outer walls of the steak are in good health.

Steaks also accumulate a kind of viscous liquid on them as they age, so getting a steak, if you can, that doesn't have this liquid is a good idea. However you can wash the liquid off when you get home, and it's not that important, just a nice-to-have.

4) The COLOR doesn't matter!

Everyone in the world wants to believe that ruby red, vibrant tuna is the best tuna. After all of these years I have yet to see that in practice. It's nice to have for presentation reasons, but meat quality is basically the same (as long as it's the color isn't TOO off, which if you see a sickly looking color or whatever, of course you would avoid that).

This is getting long as hell so I'm just gonna stop, let me know if you have any specific questions.

So really, just go for the piece that appears to have the least amount of connective tissue and don't stress about the color too much?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Had a slice of pepperoni pizza w/ onions on , probably my favorite thing from the food court

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

The bulgogi is awesome.
Probably didn't spell it right.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
"Active Incident" at my Costco. Armed suicidal guy. SWAT team is there.

https://kstp.com/news/burnsville-police-respond-to-active-incident-near-costco-/5004161/?cat=1
https://twitter.com/BurnsvillePD?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

It sounds like they're about to get the employees out.

update: Suspect is in his car, so that's good.

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 26, 2018

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
"Put down the hot dog and step away from the onion dispenser"

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
I've been down to the Burnsville one a few times! The food court needs more space away from the cashiers, but I always get a good parking spot there.
Poor guy :(

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Went to the original PRICE CLUB (before Costco), also the birthplace of the $1.50 dog. In San Diego off Morena Blvd. Literally an old airplane hangar/factory. It was packed today. Hot as poo poo but well worth it.

Got a Caesar salad because workday lunch. Its really a great salad.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Sounds like he was getting packed up (wallet, turned the car off and pocketed the keys, etc) and ready to surrender an hour ago, but he just keeps making phone calls.

Fakeedit: motherfucker finally hung up while I was typing this reply, pocketed it, then got right back on. Oh, and it sounds like there are still employees inside.

AWarmBody posted:

I've been down to the Burnsville one a few times! The food court needs more space away from the cashiers, but I always get a good parking spot there.
Poor guy :(

Yeah, the food court is a bit of a cart nightmare. We can usually find a nice spot to park near a cart corral because people are too lazy to walk and will just grab something close.

11'ish: last folks are out of the Costco. Suspect keeps trying to take a nap so they're blasting him with sirens.
3'ish: phone is running out of batteries, cops are nervous as he digs around for his charger
4: Costco employees are showing up for work. Driver is looking around nervous. Drone back in the air.

4:30, still active. He's hyperventilating and panicking now with the gun to his chest. Says he's trying to let go of the gun but his body is locked up. Cops have their gas masks on.

Just before 5:

They hit him with a few volleys of teargas, he got out of the vehicle with the gun in his hand and...

Next message was that he is in custody and the medics were clear to go pick him up. No word on his condition but he said he wanted to "suicide by cop" earlier. He's on his way to a Level 1 trauma center.

BVPD twitter says it was resolved peacefully. https://twitter.com/BurnsvillePD/status/1022423318098575361

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jul 26, 2018

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My onion dispenser is gone...switched to plastic cups. This is environmentally unfriendly!!!!!!!!!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
onion dispenser is gone at my 'co

I feel like I've lost a dear friend.

It was always empty though so it's like not much has changed.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Korea will not be pleased

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Korea will not be pleased

Reposting for anyone who might not understand the reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1cqDQSOrZM

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
They know that is a thing in Korea and have said they are ok with it so I doubt they would mess with the onions there. It might cause quite the uproar and they wouldn't want that. Onions are cheap, millions of 'outraged' Koreans are not.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Also, onions rule and are good for health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Accretionist posted:

Also, onions rule and are good for health.

This but garlic :yum: