Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I shave my head and a pivoting blade is essential for that. The open back cartridges that Gillette makes are great for rinsing out the insane amount of hair and dead skin that clogs up every other razor I've tried. It's 100% worth the money for that purpose. It's complete overkill for my face, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I bought two packages of feather razors for my boyfriend, they cost less than $15 CAD, and I think he might be on his first package still, 2.5 years later.

They demand a blood sacrifice now and again, they are made by a surgical scapel company.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

silence_kit posted:

Modern safety razors are relatively expensive (still they aren't a huge expense if you re-use the cartridges many times), but they are much better than the old fashioned safety razors. The newer safety razor products are much easier and faster to use, and give a closer shave with less irritation.

There is a reason why the old-fashioned safety razor communities on the internet have a tonne of how-to's and introductory videos and guides--you have to do all of these things and buy all of these accessories to get around the shortcomings of the old fashioned razor. The old fashioned safety razor people on the internet kind of remind me of Linux users in many ways.

The subset of linux users that have strong opinions about systemd

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I only ever see men defending old school razors. Do any women use them? As cenotaph pointed out, that pivoting head makes a world of difference when you're half asleep in the shower at 3:45 a.m. standing like a flamingo in a slippery tub, trying to work around your knees and ankle bones.

gently caress if I'm spending more for some product because it's pink and marketed to women, though. I just use whatever my man buys. I'm a fan of the Mach 3 and its knockoffs, myself.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

JacquelineDempsey posted:

In a similar vein, my favorite panhandler when I lived in NYC would say "hey, you wanna hear some jokes?" and follow you for a couple blocks, telling jokes the whole way, for some spare change and/or a cigarette. He didn't hassle you for it, seemed genuinely destitute (not like the trustafarians/crust punks that dominated the LES), and made me laugh on the way to my soul-crushing job, so he was kinda providing an essential service to my mental health. :unsmith:

My friends ran into a similar homeless person while in NYC. He told them a joke about the Holocaust.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

I only ever see men defending old school razors. Do any women use them? As cenotaph pointed out, that pivoting head makes a world of difference when you're half asleep in the shower at 3:45 a.m. standing like a flamingo in a slippery tub, trying to work around your knees and ankle bones.

gently caress if I'm spending more for some product because it's pink and marketed to women, though. I just use whatever my man buys. I'm a fan of the Mach 3 and its knockoffs, myself.

Despite the pooh poohing about the marketing that surrounds it the Mach 3 is in fact a drat fine razor.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Despite the pooh poohing about the marketing that surrounds it the Mach 3 is in fact a drat fine razor.

Yeah, I tried the electric razor thing for years, went back to the Mach 3 and have no real complaints. Anything beyond that seems a bit excessive.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, I tried the electric razor thing for years, went back to the Mach 3 and have no real complaints. Anything beyond that seems a bit excessive.

Yeah, I tried the whole safety razor thing: started with an Edwin Jagger and ended up with a Seki Feather razor using Feather blades. I think the whole thing is really nothing more than the ritual of going through all the fiddly bits. The Feather razor did a fantastic job on my neck and a better than OK job on my head, but god drat did it take forever.

Now, I just use a Braun series 9 wet/dry shaver. I use a Mach 3 as a kind of reset if I get lazy and let my whiskers and hair go for a few days.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Let's talk about razors for a second

The biggest bullshit with all the different razors is that I'm never 100% sure which blades I need to get to fit my razor so maybe 2 or 3 times out of 10 I wind up buying the Atra III Trac Super Turbo Deluxe instead of the the Atra II Normal Slow Regular and when they don't fit I forget to return the fuckers. Why can't every Atra cartridge fit every razor?

I'm sure this is not intentional in any way nor a scam designed to sell more stupid razor blades.

Those fuckers sent me a Mach 3 on my 18th birthday (thanks Selective Service) and completely locked down my brand loyalty for like 5 years.

E: I have a beard now.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 16, 2018

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ya'll are whining about old fashioned safety razors, like they're somehow complicated and hard to use.

I used one for years with cheap-rear end canned shaving foam, it was easy as hell, as long as you don't try to force it. If you're used to a cartridge razor where you can just mash it, I guess you'll hurt yourself, but that's absolutely not the fault of the razor.

Shaved my head with it as well, no issues. Only ever cut myself on one particular annoying mole that my Mach 3 also used to mutilate.

Sure, I'd break out the brush and old-fashioned soap once in a while, but it absolutely isn't mandatory.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I buy the Sobey's brand Mach 3 blades for ~$1.50 (on sale, which is semi often) to $2.00 a blade and keep a few old Fusion blades around because the single blade is much better for getting under my nose and lip

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I keep getting missed calls from a number I don't recognise, but the phone never actually rings. Had a look online and apparently it's a pay number, so if I call back it charges me. Super low effort scam, but surely there aren't a lot of people who would call back and even make them .5 dollars/euro/pounds for staying on for even 30 seconds?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

KozmoNaut posted:

Sure, I'd break out the brush and old-fashioned soap once in a while, but it absolutely isn't mandatory.

Soap is the more important factor, though.

Cartridge + water + soap > safety razor + canned foam

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Razors like the Mach 3 etc are mainly just easier to use. The flexible blades and pivoting head for the most part mean you can just do it fast and sloppy with no real problems. Safety razors take a bit more time and can be harder to work around tricky areas but I've always found them to be more comfortable to shave with and produce a better shave with less irritation. Dragging 4 blades across your skin is a dumb idea that only works because the blades all suck to begin with and you need 4 of them to get anywhere.

I have a safety razor I use in the shower for my legs and it's generally fine. Same issues apply...harder to do a quick job with one, you have to kind of know how to use them (don't apply pressure while trying to shave along your shin bone!), but they do a nice shave and are ultimately much cheaper. That said, I shave my legs for dumb reasons and don't have to do it every single morning with the expectation that women have put upon them that my legs must be silky smooth at every possible second. My wife has tried using it as well and mainly has the problem that she has a lifetime of experience shaving a certain way with the regular cartridge razors so changing to something that works a bit differently has led to some cuts.

Like many things, if shaving becomes your hobby then you're going to end up spending stupid money on it. If you just need it to do a job, a basic razor, brush, some soap and a pack of razors will last you a long long time and you don't have to dive down the rabbit hole of buying all the fiddly poo poo and watching youtube videos of guys with shaving systems designed to maximize the shaving experience by dividing your face into quadrants and working through it in a specific fashion

silence_kit posted:

Modern safety razors are relatively expensive (still they aren't a huge expense if you re-use the cartridges many times), but they are much better than the old fashioned safety razors. The newer safety razor products are much easier and faster to use, and give a closer shave with less irritation.

There is a reason why the old-fashioned safety razor communities on the internet have a tonne of how-to's and introductory videos and guides--you have to do all of these things and buy all of these accessories to get around the shortcomings of the old fashioned razor. The old fashioned safety razor people on the internet kind of remind me of Linux users in many ways.

In my experience they absolutely do not give a closer shave with less irritation but that's just anecdotal.

There are no accessories to get around the shortcomings of a DE safety razor. Brushes and soap are just replacements for shaving foam/gel/etc that people use. Modern foams and gels have stuff in them to try to get the hairs to stand up so the razors can more easily cut them. Before that, the brush did part of that job (along with providing something to lather up the soap and apply it). You don't have to use a brush and soap, you can use foam or gel just fine with a safety razor and it'll work as well as it does with a Mach 3.

The old fashioned safety razor people on the internet are insane because it's become a hobby to them and people with hobbies do insane poo poo with their hobbies.

Levitate fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 16, 2018

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I use a shavette (a straight razor except it uses razor blades, eliminating the stropping and sharpening) and a decent shaving foam. Shaving takes no more time than with a cartridge razor and is is still nicer than any cartridge razor ever could.

It's basically straight razor shaving without all the hipster bullshit.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Well....OK...thanks for all the feedback.

Confirmed then. Commercial razors are a scam.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

BiggerBoat posted:

Well....OK...thanks for all the feedback.

Confirmed then. Commercial razors are a scam.

razors are a scam buy a buck knife and use that to shave with every day

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
flense the flesh from your bones and live your life as a skellington. never shave again!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Both good suggestions.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Levitate posted:

razors are a scam buy a buck knife and use that to shave with every day

Be a man and shave with an ax.

No, not one of those sissy axes you buy at the hardware store a real loving battle ax. :black101:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Wow, I guess the White House really is boring:

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Levitate posted:

Razors like the Mach 3 etc are mainly just easier to use. The flexible blades and pivoting head for the most part mean you can just do it fast and sloppy with no real problems. Safety razors take a bit more time and can be harder to work around tricky areas but I've always found them to be more comfortable to shave with and produce a better shave with less irritation. Dragging 4 blades across your skin is a dumb idea that only works because the blades all suck to begin with and you need 4 of them to get anywhere.

I have a safety razor I use in the shower for my legs and it's generally fine. Same issues apply...harder to do a quick job with one, you have to kind of know how to use them (don't apply pressure while trying to shave along your shin bone!), but they do a nice shave and are ultimately much cheaper. That said, I shave my legs for dumb reasons and don't have to do it every single morning with the expectation that women have put upon them that my legs must be silky smooth at every possible second. My wife has tried using it as well and mainly has the problem that she has a lifetime of experience shaving a certain way with the regular cartridge razors so changing to something that works a bit differently has led to some cuts.

Like many things, if shaving becomes your hobby then you're going to end up spending stupid money on it. If you just need it to do a job, a basic razor, brush, some soap and a pack of razors will last you a long long time and you don't have to dive down the rabbit hole of buying all the fiddly poo poo and watching youtube videos of guys with shaving systems designed to maximize the shaving experience by dividing your face into quadrants and working through it in a specific fashion

In my experience they absolutely do not give a closer shave with less irritation but that's just anecdotal.

There are no accessories to get around the shortcomings of a DE safety razor. Brushes and soap are just replacements for shaving foam/gel/etc that people use. Modern foams and gels have stuff in them to try to get the hairs to stand up so the razors can more easily cut them. Before that, the brush did part of that job (along with providing something to lather up the soap and apply it). You don't have to use a brush and soap, you can use foam or gel just fine with a safety razor and it'll work as well as it does with a Mach 3.

The old fashioned safety razor people on the internet are insane because it's become a hobby to them and people with hobbies do insane poo poo with their hobbies.

Been shaving for 40+ years. Tried everything. Double-edge safety razor with brush and soap; 2 blades, 3 blades, 4 blades, foam, gel, and an electric razor.

The best by far has been this razor, with foam from a can, after a hot shower.

A pack of 10 is cheaper lasts longer than the locked-down super-expensive cartridges, and it's a much quicker and better shave than the safety razor.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

MightyJoe36 posted:

Been shaving for 40+ years. Tried everything. Double-edge safety razor with brush and soap; 2 blades, 3 blades, 4 blades, foam, gel, and an electric razor.

The best by far has been this razor, with foam from a can, after a hot shower.

A pack of 10 is cheaper lasts longer than the locked-down super-expensive cartridges, and it's a much quicker and better shave than the safety razor.

Agree. I get a lot of mileage out of the disposables. They're pretty cheap to begin with and they go on sale a lot. Good shave, too.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Some disposables better than others, but most of them last a decent length of time and do a decent enough job.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

every disposable I've tried sucks rear end

dunno, different poo poo works for different people I guess

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Wow, I guess the White House really is boring:

This is so well done it's art

Remain Blessed,
Yours Faithfully

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Levitate posted:

every disposable I've tried sucks rear end

dunno, different poo poo works for different people I guess

Yeah just thinking about disposables brings back bad memories of red skin. I’m sure there’s better ones than I had available to me mind.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Those disposable razors are garbage. I shave my head a few times a week, less if I'm feeling lazy, more of I want to look nicer. I've been using the same mach5 knockoff from CVS for 2 years. On goon advice, I switched over to mug soap for shaving, and never went back. No matter the brand, gels, creams, and foam all did nothing to help prevent shaving issues. I was using just soap, which was working fine, then I tried the mug soap and never went back.
The other thing that helped for shaving was another goon advice piece- 'strop' your razor. Just run it reverse down your arm a few times, and that fucker will last forever.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Run it down your arm the sharp way and it’ll last the rest of your life!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Friend of mine just got a text msg saying his Amazon is sending out a package, and he hasn't ordered anything in months. The phone number they list is only 6 digits. What up with this?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

text back to confirm your phone number is valid and robodialable

text back to go down a rabbit hole of increasinly ID theftable questions

Unrelated but the fake warrant/IRS/scary government THING scammers are starting to really do their homework regarding agency names, personnel, ranks, and relationship to target.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Friend of mine just got a text msg saying his Amazon is sending out a package, and he hasn't ordered anything in months. The phone number they list is only 6 digits. What up with this?

I have no idea how they work but you can get short, quick codes like that for only text messaging. It's either that it spoofed as that.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

text back to confirm your phone number is valid and robodialable

text back to go down a rabbit hole of increasinly ID theftable questions

Unrelated but the fake warrant/IRS/scary government THING scammers are starting to really do their homework regarding agency names, personnel, ranks, and relationship to target.

They still give it away as soon as they ask for iTunes gift cards. They can threaten as well as they want, but their payment demands are never what the US federal government would require.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Midjack posted:

They still give it away as soon as they ask for iTunes gift cards. They can threaten as well as they want, but their payment demands are never what the US federal government would require.

i imagine the smartest ones know this and play off it with the corrupt bureaucrat angle - here's a terrifying email, you let them call the number and play it up, make them squirm for a bit and then say "you're a nice guy, i'll do you a favor - you owe X but i can make it disappear for Y". then there's no payment method too shady - if anything that enhances the realism.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Could be a scam from the person texting, could be a scam from an Amazon reseller (this podcast describes how some Amazon resellers are astroturfing reviews by sending stuff to actual Amazon customers).

Either way, your friend should change his Amazon account password asap.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011
I got a voicemail from a man with an American accent who didn't identify himself. He stated the call went straight to voicemail (it did!) and that he was going to send out two letters to the house. There would be reference numbers in the upper-left corner ending in "your last name". He then followed up saying "I want to send this via FedEx or UPS but that will obviously cost $15. I'll give you my direct number, I plan on being in the office all day, so please call me back."

Googling the number he gives reveals that everyone receives this exact script. What's the angle? Call back and they find out your number is real? Or they try and mine you for identity info?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
He gets 15 dollars and he doesn't send anything? That seems like the obvious answer to me.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Does Apple not care that their giftcards are such a common medium for scams?

Is being the most legit non buttcoin laundry moneyz part of their stock valuation?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

What does your heart tell you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The supermarkets here have a sign next to the iTunes cards warning people that they are being scammed.