Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I'm basically just checking in here until he gets a gig on fox news, I'm pretty sure that will be the end of his massive shithead trajectory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

I dropped listening to him in January of... 2009? In the middle of a rant about how torture is good and effective. I just now checked in on this thread to see if I missed anything over the last 9 years and... yikes.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Paladin posted:

I dropped listening to him in January of... 2009? In the middle of a rant about how torture is good and effective. I just now checked in on this thread to see if I missed anything over the last 9 years and... yikes.

I swear to loving god there was a loveline ep where adam was super proud about how the united states didn't torture people in WWII, but i only heard it once and it was so long ago that i don't know the context nearly enough to find it again. I think it was in response to guantanamo bay because I can't see him getting that up in arms about WWII outside of women who shockingly couldn't shout out spitfire or corsair when prompted to name WWII planes

WEH fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 25, 2018

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

WEH posted:

I swear to loving god there was a loveline ep where adam was super proud about how the united states didn't torture people in WWII, but i only heard it once and it was so long ago that i don't know the context nearly enough to find it again. I think it was in response to guantanamo bay because I can't see him getting that up in arms about WWII outside of women who shockingly couldn't shout out spitfire or corsair when prompted to name WWII planes

That was Kelly Osbourne who claim she knew "everything about WWII" from watching the History Channel with Dad. Adam asked her what countries were the Axis powers. She did not know any.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

mrlego posted:

That was Kelly Osbourne who claim she knew "everything about WWII" from watching the History Channel with Dad. Adam asked her what countries were the Axis powers. She did not know any.

It didn't have the torture bit but it's actually worse than you remember: she thought germany and england were on the same side. In any case, I appreciated the chance to listen to an ep hadn't heard but uh a lot of the program is kinda :whitewater: 16 years on

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
There are a lot of things that are dicey looking back. Drew was shilling drugs, Adam was always super misogynistic, and both of them kinda hate trans people. Maybe they were never good people we were all just too young to notice.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

hiddenmovement posted:

There are a lot of things that are dicey looking back. Drew was shilling drugs, Adam was always super misogynistic, and both of them kinda hate trans people. Maybe they were never good people we were all just too young to notice.

I think thats what it was for me. Listened to one on youtube and mid 30s Adam perving on 14 year olds was weirder than I remember.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Remember when the refugee migration situation in Europe was really bad a couple years ago and that oval office in Hungary tripped a father and his fleeing child? Yeah guess who was pretty much the only loving person ever to basically defend the lady.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

hiddenmovement posted:

That’s basically me, I started listening when he was on the radio and he was part of my commute (at like 19). Then I was introduced to podcasts through his switch to the medium. Then I went to one of his live shows and it was all a bunch of older white people and there was a lot of cheering when he was ranting about immigrants... I felt dumb and realized I just didn’t want to believe he meant what he was saying, I’ve had to learn that lesson a lot in life.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
So Adam fired Ray last year and he started his own podcast with his pals. It's called Do Tell Ray and it's actually pretty good. He recently had Bill Pullman on which is a bigger get than Adam has had in the last few years. For fans of Ray I highly suggest it.

Edit: I guess the website would be helpful. Drrr. http://dotellray.com/

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Any masochists still listen to Ace? I'm tempted to listen to a few episodes just to hear his take on Trump but nahhhh

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Looking through the episodes it seems like Dennis Miller is a weekly guest :lol:

If there's any good episodes I'll try it out but it looks pretty boring in a world where tons of great podcasts exist.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Moniker posted:

So Adam fired Ray last year

What the gently caress

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Red posted:

What the gently caress

It turns out that Adam is a toxic weirdo. The number of people he's hosed over and alienated is staggering.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I hope Alison is doin all right. I kinda fell off podcasts the last few years but she always struck me as a genuinely sweet person with an excellent sense of humor and timing, which is nearly impossible to find in radio women.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I only listened to her show a couple times, but whenever she guests on something in my rotation, she usually does great and I'm always happy to hear her. Just a really pleasant, funny person.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Yeah I quit listening to Adam the day he fired her and listened to her show for a bit. When she told her side of the story I just got disgusted with him.

Her show isn't really my thing but you're right, she's a super positive and genuine person, glad she got away from him.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I listen to him on Reasonable Doubt because I like Marc’s take on things. When he doesn’t get to talk, I get mad.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

tbf i've been expecting adam to have a spectacular flameout since like..........2012. the man's a cockroach

bartok
May 10, 2006

WEH posted:

tbf i've been expecting adam to have a spectacular flameout since like..........2012. the man's a cockroach

I thought so too but apparently he just made a hard right and has been aligning himself with guys like Dennis Prager and Dennis Miller. I don't know if he has aligned himself with anymore of those types of assholes because I quit listening right before he fired Alison. Though I did get a good laugh when his stupid crowdfunded movie "No Safe Spaces" popped up on Your Kickstarter Sucks.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

UltraRed posted:

I listen to him on Reasonable Doubt because I like Marc’s take on things. When he doesn’t get to talk, I get mad.

I did the same thing then I discovered Opening Arguments and realized Reasonable Doubt is actually terrible.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Dennis Prager, who rapes his wife.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
i love listening to adam caroola and buying mangria, the only wine that doesn't turn you gay, because it's got the word "man" in the name

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I do think I'd listen to the show a bit if I liked the co-hosts. While Bryan seems like a really nice guy, I just can't stand him on the show. And Gina Grad is the most generic "newsgirl" from the 90's you could ever come across.

I know Adam has become insufferable but I still enjoy the times where he appears on another podcast and is just shooting the poo poo with other funny people. In the right setting, he's still a brilliant comedian.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Don't forget the shitlord Drew.

Adam talking about 'the schwartzes' stops being tongue-in-cheek after the third time. And Drew talking about the infallible free market how it's model can be extrapolated to any political or larger social situation is just … it gets weary and no longer made me rich or happy.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
Adam is only truly great when he's punching up.

Even twenty years ago when he was yelling at dumb teenagers there was at least a tenderness when poo poo was truly awful.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

JGdmn posted:

Adam is only truly great when he's punching up.

Even twenty years ago when he was yelling at dumb teenagers there was at least a tenderness when poo poo was truly awful.

Yelling at teens is fine when they're doing something dumb and they need someone to be firm but ultimately supportive, which is what you were gettin' at.

What Adam is doing now is desperately clinging on to keep up his lifestyle. Really, Carolla? Dennis fuckin' Prager? At least Miller used to be reasonably popular and well-liked, Prager's always been a niche thing at best.

I think what bugs me is Prager is exactly the type of right wing jackoff Adam used to mock.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 25, 2018

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Anyone ever get on the air? Maybe 7 years ago they put out a call for hobo power stories and I called twice, didn’t get through, tried one more time and got through to Donny. I handed the phone to a friend who had worked at a sewage plant and had a disgusting story about clearing a blockage and got to tell it on air to Adam.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Some of Adam's old rants were great. The right turn on red is spot-on. Also the traffic and weather stuff on the radio.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Niwrad posted:

Some of Adam's old rants were great. The right turn on red is spot-on. Also the traffic and weather stuff on the radio.

I loved the Loveline lightning round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40FG2YWw1ow

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I don't like the lightning round either but we've got to do some good radio every once in awhile. always cracked me up

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Niwrad posted:

I know Adam has become insufferable but I still enjoy the times where he appears on another podcast and is just shooting the poo poo with other funny people. In the right setting, he's still a brilliant comedian.

Adam is legitimately quick on his feet, more so than a lot of comedians in my opinion. It's just when he relies on his old saws that he gets tedious, and we've already belabored his political and social stuff. Hell, I think in his peak, Dennis Miller was a top 5 standup. In an alternate timeline where 9/11 never happened, Miller, Carolla, and Phil Hendrie would still probably be as funny as ever. Plus a bunch of other stuff, but that's not what we're discussing here.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I think this is a reasonable-people-can-disagree thing, but Adam's politics seem borderline inevitable to me. Guy grows up neglected in a family in an era with some of the sillier liberal politics in 1970s LA, his friends call him grampa or whatever which is a temperament marker, is uneducated, has a lot of loser friends and exposed to a lot of lost souls making bad choices on loveline, makes it "on his own", gets rich in a high-tax location. Maybe toss in dealing with the city gov't as a builder. Being longtime friends with Dr. Drew probably didn't help.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Oh, sure. Even with all of that there are people with similar circumstances and dispositions that are downright poisonous. Adam's just kind of a bummer. I prefer to chalk it up to the "older comedian CTE" Kyle Kinane was talking about. I don't begrudge him his success or anything.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Him embracing gently caress you got mine would’ve been mildly amusing if he hadn’t also embraced being a neglectful parent and abusive spouse

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

WEH posted:

Him embracing gently caress you got mine would’ve been mildly amusing if he hadn’t also embraced being a neglectful parent and abusive spouse

loving this.

Also, the builder poo poo is bunk. Adam knows quite a bit about building, if you stopped learning in 1992. He quit being up with the times, and blames everyone else. You shouldn't attempt to be a GC in your spare time and complain about how difficult it is. Dude was still quizzing people on nailing schedules in the 2010s without knowing he was hilariously out of date (and also wrong, because the specs change engineer to engineer and he doesn't really build anything of consequence).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Phil Hendrie swerving right though was a definite surprise and probably 9-11. He always was a little Dadish (oh poo poo, awkward memory, I called the show once a few months after graduating high school when he was doing open lines and he told me to get out of the house and get a job which actually was probably good advice, I have no idea how he pegged that on me) but other than that pretty darn liberal and half his schtick was making conservative radio listeners flip out.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Rick posted:

Phil Hendrie swerving right though was a definite surprise and probably 9-11. He always was a little Dadish (oh poo poo, awkward memory, I called the show once a few months after graduating high school when he was doing open lines and he told me to get out of the house and get a job which actually was probably good advice, I have no idea how he pegged that on me) but other than that pretty darn liberal and half his schtick was making conservative radio listeners flip out.

I feel like there's a good book in Phil's life & career, but since about 8 people would read it I know I'm not gonna bother writing it. He's a fascinating guy, and I wish the Phil Hendrie thread didn't die after about 4 days.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

DangerDummy! posted:

I feel like there's a good book in Phil's life & career, but since about 8 people would read it I know I'm not gonna bother writing it. He's a fascinating guy, and I wish the Phil Hendrie thread didn't die after about 4 days.

You guys talking about principal Vagina?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

JB50 posted:

You guys talking about principal Vagina?

One in the same. He's a great VO actor, but his range isn't what it used to be between the chain smoking and getting old.