Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
fun fact: it's impossible to open the rear doors ~at all~ without power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

infernal machines posted:

fun fact: it's impossible to open the rear doors ~at all~ without power

Their suggestion is to carry a separate external 12v power pack to open the back doors in case of accident lol, and dude posted it as a gotcha to the guy saying they won't open without power

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Blue Train posted:

Their suggestion is to carry a separate external 12v power pack to open the back doors in case of accident lol, and dude posted it as a gotcha to the guy saying they won't open without power

if i'm ever in an accident, i want my escape from the burning wreckage to be as much of an indiana jones race against time as possible

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Blue Train posted:

don't you have faith in electricity?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
real question cuz i've never thought of it before, if you child-lock the backseat in normal sedan can that be overridden somehow?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
they have to invent some term analogous for irony poisoning where you're so deep in tech that you treat physical engineering and safety issues the same way you would treat system availability

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
elong must is just trying to save lives with his computer cars. he needs to save 60¢ per car to achieve this, so who cares if he singes a few babies that should be have carried spare 12V batteries?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lancemantis posted:

they have to invent some term analogous for irony poisoning where you're so deep in tech that you treat physical engineering and safety issues the same way you would treat system availability

sociopathic hubris

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

wyoak posted:

real question cuz i've never thought of it before, if you child-lock the backseat in normal sedan can that be overridden somehow?

yes, for example, the exterior door handles

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

wyoak posted:

i'm not sure if its required by law, but on most cars when the airbags fire all the doors are unlocked

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

DaTroof posted:

if i'm ever in an accident, i want my escape from the burning wreckage to be as much of an indiana jones race against time as possible

your car is smouldering and licks of flame are beginning to shoot out from the undercarriage, your children are in the back seat. quickly take your 12v battery pack, remove the cover from the bumper, connect the battery to the auxiliary power terminal, and hope that enough of the car comes online to allow you to use the rear door handles.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

your car is smouldering and licks of flame are beginning to shoot out from the undercarriage, your children are in the back seat. quickly take your 12v battery pack, remove the cover from the bumper, connect the battery to the auxiliary power terminal, and hope that enough of the car comes online to allow you to use the rear door handles.

this is what we get for letting white people develop "escape rooms" as fun weekend activities.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yeah but if you fail to solve the puzzles in an escape room they still let you leave, so it's somewhat deceptive advertising

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Stymie posted:

yeah but if you fail to solve the puzzles in an escape room they still let you leave, so it's somewhat deceptive advertising

tesla: the most dangerous game

at any moment your car may attempt to kill you in dozens of ways! do you have the wit to survive?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

New tesla comercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfzRP1tCmsk

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
elon musk calls your boss and threatens to sue

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
elonio muskaderas

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

https://seekingalpha.com/instablog/37229846-montana-skeptic/5190656-farewell-now

Does elon musk do anything at all during the day besides post and get mad

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

the only thing more explosive than his rockets is his rage

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

my bitter bi rival posted:

https://seekingalpha.com/instablog/37229846-montana-skeptic/5190656-farewell-now

Does elon musk do anything at all during the day besides post and get mad

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

my question is about the budget, sir

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
wait, if there's no handle, how do the rear doors open from the inside to begin with? is there some bullshit button you push?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

wait, if there's no handle, how do the rear doors open from the inside to begin with? is there some bullshit button you push?

use your phone

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/IllyBocean/status/1021751655300120578

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

there's a "handle" it's just a stupid electronic piece of poo poo that has to be powered to pop out and be accessible, otherwise it's completely flush with the body. also it's not a mechanical handle so even if it were out it wouldn't do anything without power

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

a stupid electronic piece of poo poo

don't sign

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

don’t forget that you’ll need to remove the car seat to fold down the rear seats

carrying one of those auto glass hammers/strap cutters is probably a better option

unless Elon didn’t like the aesthetics of safety glass lol

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
my nissan leaf was totaled by a drunk driver last week while it was parked. the accessories lost all power and i was still able to get my grocery store loyalty card out the next morning. thank you for making a car instead of an electric death cage, nissan

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

creationist believer posted:

electric death cage

good band IMO

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

creationist believer posted:

my nissan leaf was totaled by a drunk driver last week while it was parked. the accessories lost all power and i was still able to get my grocery store loyalty card out the next morning. thank you for making a car instead of an electric death cage, nissan

I'm pissed they made the new one look like a real car and not a weird giant insect

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Stereotype posted:

I'm pissed they made the new one look like a real car and not a weird giant insect

but it has CarPlay and radar cruise control and i’m a consumer piece of poo poo

but i’m probably gonna get another 2015 weird giant insect for dirt cheap

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i just saw one of those bmw i3s IRL. goddamn they're goofy looking.

also i think i may be living in a bourgie hood. there's a tesla model s, a volt, and that i3 all on my block

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
what the gently caress is carplay anyways

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ios integration with your in dash nav/entertainment system

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
so its like bluetooth or what

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

no, it uses the lightning plug

then you get a springboard lookin' app menu on your console and you can launch carplay enabled apps on it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
god

lmao

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jonny 290 posted:

so its like bluetooth or what

i think some phone apps show up on the car’s touch screen?? idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

i just saw one of those bmw i3s IRL. goddamn they're goofy looking.

also i think i may be living in a bourgie hood. there's a tesla model s, a volt, and that i3 all on my block

i work next to a company that manufactures electric car chargers, and they have “free samples” in their parking lot. so it’s convenient for commuting in an electric car and loling about electric car design

i see an i3 with the license plate “KIC GAS” every day and it just makes my morning