Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The rocks in the Nightmare look like old lava flows.

And the sky looks like clouds after an eruption

Just as Pthumeru was covered up by Yarnham, the Nightmare shows Yarnham sinking beneath the earth. The Hunters lost, the Dream never ended. It's over.

All that remains is an eternity of fighting beasts with no victory ever possible. A nightmare for any hunter.

Wow, that's really cool! I did not know that's what it was supposed to look like but it makes a lot more sense now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It also looks kinda like muscle tissue, so the Nightmare is growing around the images of the real world.

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!
Paying attention to the floor during The Walk, I can't help but wonder why the place isn't known as Toothsmasher Cathedral. There's no way you don't have every new visitor trip on these masonry features, faceplant, and chip an incisor. I mean, the pavement in the rest of Yharnam isn't exactly flawless, but this is not neglect, it's on purpose.

quote:

And I find it kind of funny, and I find it kinda sad.

And the dreams in which I'm hunting are the best I've ever had.

FrankZP fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 18, 2018

White Coke
May 29, 2015
So are the giants dressed like Executioners supposed to be Executioners like how the Blood Drunk Hunters are Hunters that have been trapped?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I don't think so, since they're not Executioners in the same style as Alfred (they wear hoods, not cone helmets). I don't know why they got sucked into the Nightmare.

This is the Hunters' Nightmare for a Very Important Story Reason, and the Executioners weren't really associated with the Hunters.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
From the artbook:

They are "Nightmare Executioners", and remember that the Executioners were hunters as they worked for the Church! Potentially the first known band of hunters, even! But they still aren't the same as the Blood Drunk Hunters, who have a whole different thing goin on.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

One semi-important perk of the Firing Hammer Badge is the ability to purchase the Piercing Rifle. It's the only DLC weapon that can't be obtained by picking it up and it's required for a trophy. It was the last thing I needed for platinum.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Darn it I forgot to mention the piercing rifle!! Oh well, it'll be in the gun demo bonus feature because it's cool as hell.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Go go Godzilla!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Aw, that was kind of sweet, letting Ludwig go to his rest with a clear conscience :kimchi: I had actually seen a video of that fight elsewhere, and I thought you were going to leave him in madness- thanks for not doing that!

Also (spoiling to be safe), Is this the DLC where you meet Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower? Because I managed to catch that bit in one of your streams, and man, I'm really looking forward to that fight!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Ludwig is a really great fight, but very tough, possibly the second-hardest boss fight in this game. Really good fight, though... I don't know if I'd call it my favorite, but it is up there, for all the trouble he gave me, he and his horsey kick bullshit.

The horse thing is really interesting though, as its presence suggests that Ludwig, unlike most people in the Souls series, actually did go around on a magnificent steed like you imagine a knight would (I think I remember some item descriptions implying as much). And then there is the twisted idea of "insight" reflected in his (very good) design... I'm glad you let him die happy. He's no innocent- no one who willingly works for Lawrence is- but he gives the impression of someone who did the best job he could under the circumstances. And geez, I don't know if anyone deserves being a terrible horse-monster that eats corpses.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CommissarMega posted:

Also (spoiling to be safe), Is this the DLC where you meet Lady Maria of the Astral Clocktower? Because I managed to catch that bit in one of your streams, and man, I'm really looking forward to that fight!

Yeah!

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

resurgam40 posted:

Ludwig is a really great fight, but very tough, possibly the second-hardest boss fight in this game. Really good fight, though... I don't know if I'd call it my favorite, but it is up there, for all the trouble he gave me, he and his horsey kick bullshit.

The horse thing is really interesting though, as its presence suggests that Ludwig, unlike most people in the Souls series, actually did go around on a magnificent steed like you imagine a knight would (I think I remember some item descriptions implying as much). And then there is the twisted idea of "insight" reflected in his (very good) design... I'm glad you let him die happy. He's no innocent- no one who willingly works for Lawrence is- but he gives the impression of someone who did the best job he could under the circumstances. And geez, I don't know if anyone deserves being a terrible horse-monster that eats corpses.

That moment when he stands tall and proud, and the choir swells?

That's one of the most magnificent moments in any Souls game, and it's fascinating precisely because the prior phase is one of the most grotesque.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

A saif is an Arabic curved-blade sword, what we would normally call a scimitar.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ludwig was the leader of the church bunch, but we didnt get to know him too well in the main game, good thing he finally comes back and you hear his tale.

Also its pronounced Saif.

"sayf"

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
That close-up of Ludwig's face when he looks at his sword really stuck with me from the previous LP of Bloodborne I watched. Because at first he just looks like this big gribbly flesh-golem monster thing, but then there's his human face in there. It's really well framed. (And obviously ties in well with his character.)

That did seem like a pretty great boss fight, too. It kind of reminded me of the Slave Knight Gael fight from the Ringed City DLC for Dark Souls 3. Climactic, intense, atmospheric, amazing music, etc. Man that was a great fight. Like the Artorias fight in DS1, it felt really hard, but also like I just clicked with it, so that I didn't have nearly as much trouble with it as I did with many of the other bosses in the Souls games. I actually beat Gael on my second attempt, believe it or not. :smuggo:

I don't know that I'd do as well against Ludwig, though. That looked brutal. Bloodborne as a whole looks more difficult than the Souls games. Maybe it's not so bad once you get a feel for it by actually playing it, though? I wouldn't know, because again... Bloodborne isn't available on PC. :negative:

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Man, that moment when Ludwig grabs his sword, the cutscene ends, and the music swells might be my favourite moment in Bloodborne.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

In regards to the Horse thing I’ve always assumed that not only did Ludwig ride around on a horse, tactically sound as a vantage point for sword lasers, but eventually fused with it when he became a beast. Hence the 8 limbs and 2 heads, with the second looking like it’s draped over the Horse body.

Also hey, I can explain some of my setting thoughts now. So this area I feel is pretty clearly based on the burning of Old Yharnam. Hence all the Oto/Powder Keg Hunter gear, Djura’s ally in the cave and so on. Presumably Ludwig was in charge and ordered the burning for reasons that can be touched on later, but this area as a whole is defined, I feel, by things Ludwig ordered. Which is why he’s now living on a literal pile of the corpses left in his wake. Unfortunately he is either too crazed to care or too blinded by his guiding moonlight to notice. This Nightmare is not actually effecting him, which is interesting.

In the end whilst it is nice to lie to him about the Healing Church Hunters it should be noted that all these atrocities are on his head, good intentions don’t necessarily mean good actions.

Oh also because I'm now watching both episodes, The Hunters with Quickening don't use the Old Hunter's Bone, at no point do they animate using it they just have that effect naturally. They're kind of rare to be fair. Also, the most recognisable part of the Executioner Garb is the Shawl, which all Church Sets have in recognition of what the Executioners did for the Church. Which means that the big Cthulhu men might not be Executioners but are definitely attached to the Church. I really wish we'd gotten Gascoigne and Henryk in this DLC somewhere, as they're both supposedly Blood-Drunk Hunters.

The Firing Hammer Badge is of course, the badge of the workshop that predates the Powder Kegs, as mentioned the Oto Workshop, which is a terrible pun. As Oto in Japanese means sound, and it is pronounced like Auto as in full automatic weapon. Fun fact, that Blood Starved Beast doesn't do the poison buff, presumably because it's actually full of blood instead of poison. The Amygdalan Arm is actually where it should be when you look at the Amygdala corpse you go past to get down here, which is also fun.

Also, as you may recall the Headstone you use to fast travel in the DLC is where you get the Old Hunter's Bone in the real world, and that's got an implication I'll discuss much later but is worth remembering. Which leads me back to the Old Hunters with Quickening, they also have glowing red eyes and drop Vermin, which makes me think they're special compared to the others, they're also notably harder to kill. Also Vermin are gained not from PvP but from cooperation, you get Vermin by being in the covenant and helping others kill bosses. Also Valtr can come help you for Ludwig as an NPC summon which is cool.

Ludwig the Accursed Holy Blade is fantastic because he actually goes backwards from literally every other boss of this style. Usually in this game we see people who are mostly human or of human intelligence devolve into beasts as part of boss fights, Gascoigne and Vicar Amelia of course being the most visible examples of this. Then Ludwig comes along and he starts pure mad and then it happens, HE REGAINS HUMANITY, it's the single greatest moment of mental fortitude in this game.

Now then, I have theories as to what's up with this version of the Moonlight Greatsword, based on what it has as description and some other stuff in game. Just pay attention to the claim of it drawing upon the Abyssal Cosmos.

Also your line-up of how The Hunters and the Church worked out is not one I agree with but this reply is long enough and I'd rather wait until the end of the DLC to explain just what I think happened, heck maybe even end of the game. There is one thing I will say, Ludwig outright says he never wanted to know what was up with his sword, it's just a relic he found that talks to him, he has done no research into the eldritch nature of it and in fact says he avoided doing so he just let it's moonlight guide him. It's almost certainly Pthumerian in origin as you can see some of them wielding similar weapons clothed in fire instead of abyssal moonlight.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 25, 2018

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Ludwig one-shoted me roughly one second after his cutscene the first time. I still haven't forgiven him!

Anyway, he's an interesting guy: he implies that the Church people told him point-blank that this poo poo was going to backfire on him, but he created the Church hunters anyway. This makes it exceedingly difficult to tell how much the people in the Church actually knew about its real goal before the city fell; at the very least, the Executioners (at least Alfred) had no idea the Church is a sham.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

thetruegentleman posted:

Ludwig one-shoted me roughly one second after his cutscene the first time. I still haven't forgiven him!

Anyway, he's an interesting guy: he implies that the Church people told him point-blank that this poo poo was going to backfire on him, but he created the Church hunters anyway. This makes it exceedingly difficult to tell how much the people in the Church actually knew about its real goal before the city fell; at the very least, the Executioners (at least Alfred) had no idea the Church is a sham.

This at least I can go into. There is reason to believe the Executioners are not of the Healing Church originally and were actually a roaming band of knights/warriors. Very early on the Church was in danger because of the Vilebloods, possibly because Annalise is the actual ruler of the lands around Yharnam and was opposing their growth and research both mundanely and magically. At the time the Hunters evidently weren’t interested in fighting the Vilebloods for reasons not yet explained, so the Church was forced to rely on an outside force.

Hence the Executioners, who already roamed the land slaying monsters and impurities, were somehow brought in to handle the Vilebloods, and in recognition of their acts the Church incorporated their holy shawl in all it’s official uniforms from that point forth. There’s other stuff that might be going on with Logarius and Annalise and Cainhurst but I think it’s mostly speculation with little hard evidence and so not worth bringing up in this situation.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Executioners have a separate workshop all their own according to the wheel hunter badge:

quote:

Martyr Logarius led a band of Executioners, and this badge was crafted at their dedicated workshop. The Wheel symbolizes righteous destiny.

Their workshop was a secretive enclave of mystical beliefs and heady fanaticism which served as the backbone of the Executioners' unique brand of justice.

so it's entirely possible they weren't created as a splinter cell of the church and were instead hired from parts unknown.

Kush Limbaugh
Oct 10, 2012

The Beasthunter Saif is the best weapon in the game mostly because the transformed (saw) R1, if you hit something breakable, scoops up the pieces and flings them all over the place.

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the moonlight sword shot laser beams in King's Field also.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I'm sad Jill can't use the Moonlight.

Also that the closest we'll get to a unicorn is poor Ludwig. Poor, poor Ludwig.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
I'm convinced the music theme of Ludwig the holy blade is a classical piece, and not a Bloodborne original score, but everyone else online seems to think it's original. Does anyone have any idea what I could be thinking of instead?

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

catfry posted:

I'm convinced the music theme of Ludwig the holy blade is a classical piece, and not a Bloodborne original score, but everyone else online seems to think it's original. Does anyone have any idea what I could be thinking of instead?

I'm not sure about it being a classical piece (maybe Opera; I listen to a lot of classical, but not much Opera,) but it probably sounds familiar because of the old horror movie creepy pizzicato music.

Incidentally, the Latin in the song isn't just gibberish (though it is pretty bad:) it's actually about how the cursed blood turned Ludwig into a fallen hero. It's kind of a dark refrain of the Cleric Beast's song, which is also about the dangers of blood.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Hang on, the lyrics aren't just AAAAAAAAAAAAAA?

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

bony tony posted:

The theme song of every Hunter out there.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-BZxU7C3D8

Act surprised.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
whats the evil within about because i actually have no idea what it is other than a video game

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Read the OP of the new thread!! The Evil Within is really good!!

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

bony tony posted:

Honestly, they might as well be: I asked a close friend of mine (he's fluent in Latin and literally a monk,) if he could translate the lyrics, and after a few minutes he just shook his head.

The individual words are fine, but the syntax gives you weird poo poo like "web of blood", "magic blood", etc. It kinda works, but can't be what the writers were going for.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Uh... Gasp! An LP of The Evil Within 2? From the guy that did an in-depth LP of The Evil Within 1 and a bunch of streams of 2? I am shocked. Shocked.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Lazy Bear posted:

Uh... Gasp! An LP of The Evil Within 2? From the guy that did an in-depth LP of The Evil Within 1 and a bunch of streams of 2? I am shocked. Shocked.

How much insight did you gain?

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

White Coke posted:

How much insight did you gain?

Like, all the insight.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I'm sorry, but I hate the story for Evil Within. It's so stupid.

The game play doesn't look horrible, but the story is the incredibly dumb. I don't even think I can watch to point out the relevant dumb bits when they come up, as not to breach spoiler rules. :saddowns:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The premise is that you're trapped in a computer network controlled by a psychopath that gives you images from his past and tries to kill you.

Of course it's stupid. Gloriously.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

bony tony posted:

The premise is that you're trapped in a computer network controlled by a psychopath that gives you images from his past and tries to kill you.

Of course it's stupid. Gloriously.

Unfortunately, for me, it doesn't go into the "so bad, it's good" territory, but I don't think any less of other people for whom it does manage to be enjoyable in that fashion.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

thetruegentleman posted:

Honestly, they might as well be: I asked a close friend of mine (he's fluent in Latin and literally a monk,) if he could translate the lyrics, and after a few minutes he just shook his head.

The individual words are fine, but the syntax gives you weird poo poo like "web of blood", "magic blood", etc. It kinda works, but can't be what the writers were going for.

There's quite a few youtube vids out there that managed to string full sentences (and Ludwigs is hardly the only track with latin lyrics in them)

Though most give up on trying to understand the 2nd phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

DeafNote posted:

There's quite a few youtube vids out there that managed to string full sentences (and Ludwigs is hardly the only track with latin lyrics in them)

Though most give up on trying to understand the 2nd phase.

There are multiple videos/threads/blogs with different translations of the exact same words, which is kind of the problem: the best get most of the individual words right, but only if you don't try to put them together in a sentence. The worst are about on the level of "I sat blood table on yesterday." To the best of my knowledge, From never actually released the actual lyrics, which makes me think that they just used Babelfish to go from Japanese to English to Latin and are hoping that nobody actually notices.

On the bright side, my friend's unofficial abbot/our teacher from highschool owes me a favor for writing about a month's worth of Shakespeare lessons for him, so I asked him to translate a few of the songs yesterday. He's kind of busy though, so I don't know when he'll be able to get back to me; it'd be much quicker with actual lyrics, but doing it by ear is a pain when half the words are blotted about by the orchestra.