Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Cythereal posted:

They're weapons, no more or less moral than any other.

But you're a SMG wannabe, so I don't expect that to register with you.

Well, right, which is why the problem is ideology. Nuclear proliferation does not exist in an ethical vacuum, it was a tool of imperialism.

Notice how quickly this false dichotomy you described between Japanese filmmakers' critique of nuclear weapons and American filmmakers' fear of ecological apocalypse has descended into basically declaring anti-nuclear proliferation reductively "a Japanese thing," and into this privileged moral relativism about how nuclear weapons are basically no different than any other weapon.

Do you not see how your estimation that the critique of Gojira "wouldn't resonate with American audiences" is an obvious projection of what you actually believe to be true? That no matter what the filmmakers have done to foreground nuclear proliferation as an essential motif of the film's narrative, it doesn't "resonate" because you've already decided that there is no ethical tension, that the nukes and power plants are just cosmetic and aren't symptomatic of anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's true that hopefully no other culture will ever have the same sort of relationship with nuclear power and weaponry that the Japanese do, but also I think Americans can think that nukes are bad because they are.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm wondering if they'll use the same Godzilla design as Shin in a new Japanese Godzilla film or change it up. I liked Shin's weird, gross design a lot but I think the American Godzilla is just mastercraft.

Waffleman_ posted:

It's true that hopefully no other culture will ever have the same sort of relationship with nuclear power and weaponry that the Japanese do, but also I think Americans can think that nukes are bad because they are.

Tell that to the commander-in-chief.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The metaphor really needs to be reconsidered - consider that "nuclear weapons proliferation", post-2000, especially, has been explicitly framed in every prominent case as necessary for self defense against the unreasonable aggression of the US.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Jimbot posted:

I'm wondering if they'll use the same Godzilla design as Shin in a new Japanese Godzilla film or change it up. I liked Shin's weird, gross design a lot but I think the American Godzilla is just mastercraft.

Tell that to the commander-in-chief.

It's hard to imagine shin Godzilla throwing down with king Ghidorah or wrestling Rodan. I think they'll need a new design if they're going to do G v

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Xguard86 posted:

It's hard to imagine shin Godzilla throwing down with king Ghidorah or wrestling Rodan. I think they'll need a new design if they're going to do G v

Agreed. Shin Godzilla is a great design and a horrifying threat (even if I didn't think much of the movie he was in), but I think he might be better staying a one-off.

I like seeing the more divergent takes on Godzilla, myself - Legendary, Shin, even Zilla from 98 all bring something distinctly different to the table in visual design and behavior. Godzilla tends to be a pretty straightforward kaiju that also has atomic breath, and I'd be interested to see more messing with the concept.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They should dust off the Biollante Godzilla suit, make some improvements and use that one again. I think that's the best Godzilla design of the bunch. My favorite.

Edit: Actually, just remake Godzilla vs. Biollante.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Godzilla 2020: This Time, He's Just A Big Guy. No Suit.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

K. Waste posted:

Well, right, which is why the problem is ideology. Nuclear proliferation does not exist in an ethical vacuum, it was a tool of imperialism.

Notice how quickly this false dichotomy you described between Japanese filmmakers' critique of nuclear weapons and American filmmakers' fear of ecological apocalypse has descended into basically declaring anti-nuclear proliferation reductively "a Japanese thing," and into this privileged moral relativism about how nuclear weapons are basically no different than any other weapon.

Do you not see how your estimation that the critique of Gojira "wouldn't resonate with American audiences" is an obvious projection of what you actually believe to be true? That no matter what the filmmakers have done to foreground nuclear proliferation as an essential motif of the film's narrative, it doesn't "resonate" because you've already decided that there is no ethical tension, that the nukes and power plants are just cosmetic and aren't symptomatic of anything.

oh my god shut the hell up and post cool things about godzilla. goddamn, nobody loving cares about your masters dissertation

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I've been wondering - how do u go about changing the thread title?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Can someone post that gif of Godzilla doing multiple amazing things with the Oppenheimer speech text over it? I purged my harddrive and forgot to back that piece of art up.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Shadowhand00 posted:

I've been wondering - how do u go about changing the thread title?

Ask a mod.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
K. waste is like one of the best posters in this thread. Heck, in the whole movies subforum.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Jimbot posted:

Can someone post that gif of Godzilla doing multiple amazing things with the Oppenheimer speech text over it? I purged my harddrive and forgot to back that piece of art up.

I can't find a way to get it off of loving giphy without it being some weird format that isn't just a loving animated gif and won't re-upload so here's the best i can get

https://giphy.com/gifs/lol-godzilla-boards-EYyf9OktukctG

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xguard86 posted:

It would be expensive but the best way would be if they took Shin Godzilla's changing and more grotesque nature to the extreme to turn that into an advantage, like make him a little more fragile to attacks from giant monsters but if he's ripped open the hordes of fused bodies that have merged with him meld back together or he grows in some weird way.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Julius CSAR posted:

oh my god shut the hell up and post cool things about godzilla. goddamn, nobody loving cares about your masters dissertation

gently caress off.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Schwarzwald posted:

gently caress off.

Lol

But for real though, trying to separate Godzilla stuff from nukes is an inherently dumb idea since (at least from my perspective) they’re usually about mankind’s personal fears of the destruction of the environment in general, and fears about nukes in particular.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Julius CSAR posted:

Schwarzwald posted:

gently caress off.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Julius CSAR posted:

this is the discussion forum for movies, you baby. they literally made an entirely separate movie hugbox for people scared of words, so gently caress off to BBV if you don't want to read.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Cythereal posted:

Well, a lot of kaiju are riffs on pretty common mythological monsters, and Legendary's take is that most of those real-world myths were inspired by kaiju so it's kind of academic. The website explicitly cites Ghidorah as the source of myths about the hydra, for example. This hyper-luminescent Mothra wouldn't be hard to confuse with legends about angels and gods of light. Godzilla at the end of the day is a fairly standard sea monster until you start getting into his atomic stuff.

So either Ghidorah hasn’t been frozen for very little long (humanity isn’t all that old, after all) or he has a way of communicating his presence from stasis. If the rumors that farmiga has built a machine to communicate with “titans” are true, I suspect she’s been hoodwinked. The machine does nothing and the Devil is visiting her in her dreams

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Oral history goes back a lot longer than people think, native Americans have seemingly accurate historical descriptions of the formation of crater lake in oregon 8.000 years ago and Australian aboriginals have stories retelling confirmed geological events from over 10,000 years ago. I have zero trouble believing that, in-unicerse, oral history goes back long enough to remember the last appearances of Ghidorah, especially since Skull Island features a culture of seemingly immortal humans.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

If the rumors that farmiga has built a machine to communicate with “titans” are true, I suspect she’s been hoodwinked. The machine does nothing and the Devil is visiting her in her dreams

That's some straight up 40K poo poo. In Warhammer 40K Mars is where all the weapons and stuff are designed because deep within the planet there's an ancient slumbering metal dragon war god thing and just being within a few thousand miles of it influences your thoughts and inspires more efficient/devious ideas in the faithful for how to kill people.

I mean it's not because 40K ripped off everything in it from other sci-fi stuff but that was the first thing it made me think of.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 25, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Oral history goes back a lot longer than people think, native Americans have seemingly accurate historical descriptions of the formation of crater lake in oregon 8.000 years ago and Australian aboriginals have stories retelling confirmed geological events from over 10,000 years ago. I have zero trouble believing that, in-unicerse, oral history goes back long enough to remember the last appearances of Ghidorah, especially since Skull Island features a culture of seemingly immortal humans.

The Monarch AR stuff also indicates that some kaiju have been active long before Godzilla woke up, with the earliest suspected modern kaiju being active in the 19th century (strongly implied to be Hedorah, no less).

Ghidorah probably is playing the ecoterrorist lady for a chump, but not in that specific way I think. If they've been chatting, I suspect Ghidorah's telling her what she wants to hear so she'll set him free, rather than telling her the truth that he's a planet-killing alien from the stars.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Cythereal posted:

The Monarch AR stuff also indicates that some kaiju have been active long before Godzilla woke up, with the earliest suspected modern kaiju being active in the 19th century (strongly implied to be Hedorah, no less).

That's kind of brilliant because it would mean the smog pollution monster became active right after the industrial revolution.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

none of that is very long (and I’m skeptical of all such claims about oral history)

The Holocene began about 12000 years ago, the present ice caps have been declining for considerably longer. Formation of the modern ice cap on Greenland, for example, began around 3mya, or about half the time to humanity’s last common ancestor with chimpanzees, and around the time of the first Australopithecines, probably the first Homos (laugh it up). The Antarctic ice sheet was fully formed no less than 20mya and probably peaked at more like 30mya

Edit: the first movie implies that Godzilla and the MUTOs are relics of an evolutionary history predating the one that began ~3.7gya, or at least a branch of that history that thrived in the early high radiation periods that ended ~4gya with the transition out of the Hadean eon

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 25, 2018

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

There’s definitely no block on making more Japanese Godzilla movies; Anno just wants to finish his Rebuild of Eva series, which won’t be until 2020 according to a teaser that played in front of the new Hosoda film Mirai, and Toho wants to be developing new films immediately - he was probably approached, he informed them of what he’s doing for the next few years, and they went “well, okay then” and announced their intent to make Godzilla films without him starting with one they want out in 2021 and something every other year from that point on.

Basically the double whammy of Legendary’s US Godzilla and Shin got Toho all worked up about making Godzilla movies again, but they’re chasing the cinematic universe pot of gold.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The Cameo posted:

There’s definitely no block on making more Japanese Godzilla movies; Anno just wants to finish his Rebuild of Eva series, which won’t be until 2020 according to a teaser that played in front of the new Hosoda film Mirai,

ahahahahahahahahahahahah

That had better be an Akira level masterpiece at this point

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

The Cameo posted:

There’s definitely no block on making more Japanese Godzilla movies; Anno just wants to finish his Rebuild of Eva series, which won’t be until 2020 according to a teaser that played in front of the new Hosoda film Mirai, and Toho wants to be developing new films immediately - he was probably approached, he informed them of what he’s doing for the next few years, and they went “well, okay then” and announced their intent to make Godzilla films without him starting with one they want out in 2021 and something every other year from that point on.

Basically the double whammy of Legendary’s US Godzilla and Shin got Toho all worked up about making Godzilla movies again, but they’re chasing the cinematic universe pot of gold.

So what was posted earlier, from the co-director of Shin, was wrong?

quote:

Shin Godzilla co-director Shinji Higuchi made crystal clear sense of the deal during his Q&A at G-Fest XXIV over the weekend, bumming out the entire crowd when he revealed that the parntership with Legendary means that Toho can’t make another Godzilla film until AFTER 2020.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Xguard86 posted:

I can't even imagine how nightmarish the Shin-universe version of Ghidorah would be.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm actually not that big a fan of Shin's final form but his tadpole/amphibious stage is loving terrifying.
His final form just lacks mobility, which you think he'd have more of when you realize a lot of his extra bulk was applied via CGI in post. He just doesn't move enough to feel real to me, which was not a problem his tadpole form had.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Neo Rasa posted:

That's kind of brilliant because it would mean the smog pollution monster became active right after the industrial revolution.

Very fitting. I do wonder what it might be. Something that thrived on volcanic ash? Maybe some giant amoeba-like organism would be the closest thing to the original, or a slime mold. (Can't stop the Smooze?)

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Noticed a nice detail on this post-credit scene of Skull Island:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQaDLpqKppE

The cave painting depicting Mothra has a bunch of humans apparently worshipping her, in contrast to humans depicted fighting against Rodan.

Probably my favorite post-credit scene btw.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm actually not that big a fan of Shin's final form but his tadpole/amphibious stage is loving terrifying.
His final form just lacks mobility, which you think he'd have more of when you realize a lot of his extra bulk was applied via CGI in post. He just doesn't move enough to feel real to me, which was not a problem his tadpole form had.

I actually liked that it was very uprite and architectural in it's final form. Gave Godzilla a kind of unnatural menace. To me, the stiffness plus the hands give off this feeling that existing is painful for him. The lower forms feel that way too but in a more spazzy way. maybe there's something there about shin Godzilla's nature.

Also noticed how much he moved when raging out at being actually hurt to then freezing solid to recover. Like an earthquake or something.

Still can't see him holding down a muto and blasting off it's face.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I hope Jet Jaguar is in the new movie

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Phi230 posted:

I hope Jet Jaguar is in the new movie

Maybe an inter-credits scene introducing a new program to defeat Godzilla?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SimonCat posted:

Maybe an inter-credits scene introducing a new program to defeat Godzilla?

I can see it now

"Gentlemen, we've something to show you"

Walk into a giant factory floor and spotlights come on, and it's a giant Jet Jaguar. Exact same costume. He gives a thumbs up to the camera

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Phi230 posted:

I can see it now

"Gentlemen, we've something to show you"

Walk into a giant factory floor and spotlights come on, and it's a giant Jet Jaguar. Exact same costume. He gives a thumbs up to the camera

I'll accept just splicing in this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BVFq5LueSA

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think it works well because of how Godzilla is presented in the movie as this completely baffling life form that is kind of alive and not alive at the same time. It doesn't really fall into the definition our established science has for "life", he's more like the embodiment of entropy in vaguely lizard form.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
While I'm on the topic, the MUTOs are so close to having a good design. I really like the triangular head with the double mandible jaws, and I like the insect wings on the male. However the rest of the body just looks bad to me, like a crappier version of the Cloverfield monster. Maybe something less spindly would have worked better, and if they had given the MUTOs a more vivid colour palette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The spindly look of the MUTOs works for me because it's an effective contrast with Godzilla. Whereas he's this bear-like wall of flesh who moves in more or less naturalistic ways, there's this constantly unnerving quality of the MUTOs. They're not anything that could be replicated with a suit or a puppet, they have this bizarre weightlessness and oblong anatomy that you especially see with the female. There's superficial similarities between them and Clover, but Clover itself is much more like how Godzilla is presented. The MUTOs are more like Legion, Gyaos, Kamakuris, again, lots of monsters that are in some sense supposed to evoke a more delicate or insectoid or unnaturalness to them but that was pretty much impossible to communicate before CGI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0PfO9B-0ls&t=202s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU5n4nnF9Rg