Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

so its like bluetooth or what

yeah but you can select what you want to listen to on Spotify on your nav screen instead of looking down at your phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
touchscreens in cars are bad and wrong but people will keep pawing at them so whatever

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I totally agree. my parents’ mkx—the ultimate boomer buggy—has touch everything. even the stereo volume is controlled by some god awful slider bar.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

touchscreens in cars are bad and wrong but people will keep pawing at them so whatever

i think the selling points of apple CarPlay is you have standard APIs to use the physical knobs and buttons and Siri to control your phone, and since your car’s infotainment is just a passive display, it updates when your phone does. but you have to use siri and apple maps

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
cars will never not have garbage infotainment systems and hopefully at some point in the future car companies just go "gently caress it" and provide a stereo with bluetooth and a universal mount point for phones/tablets/etc.

there would need to be some work, maybe some handshake over bluetooth that signals the phone "hey you in a vehicle now" and reconfigures the UI to have bigger buttons, and the car maker could still provide quality of life stuff like steering wheel volume controls etc.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

creationist believer posted:

i think the selling points of apple CarPlay is you have standard APIs to use the physical knobs and buttons and Siri to control your phone, and since your car’s infotainment is just a passive display, it updates when your phone does. but you have to use siri and apple maps

that makes sense since it also doesnt have controls for volume and other car features so its not full of shorty replacement controls

now if the manufacturer uses another screen for that well gently caress them. as a passive voice ui while driving and updating map i think its fine in that itll at least receive updates and upgrading the unit means a new phone which is something people actual buy

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
The most economical and environmental way to power cars is to force office parking lots to have car chargers in them so you charge them during the day at work instead of at night.

Right now Honolulu has a cap on solar because we max out the grid in the middle of the day, but still need a poo poo load of oil plants because there isn't any sun at 6-10pm but there are a hell of a lot of electricity consumers.

Apparently there's some new "one electric car charger per 100 stalls" law starting soon that turns into "1 charger per 50 stalls" shortly after.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

abigserve posted:

there would need to be some work, maybe some handshake over bluetooth that signals the phone "hey you in a vehicle now" and reconfigures the UI to have bigger buttons, and the car maker could still provide quality of life stuff like steering wheel volume controls etc.

It's already done. If you install android auto on the phone it allows you to select a Bluetooth connection that it will automatically run when connected to, the car controls will allow you to skip tracks in the music player control volume take calls etc, it looks like this

If you get a text message it will read it to you and you can reply by voice. You can dial by voice and play songs by voice etc

Blue Train fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 25, 2018

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
all i know is with my dead nissan leaf and overcast and bluetooth, the “forward” button on the steering wheel is supposed to skip forward 30 seconds so I can ignore lovely subscription service ads, and it only worked 1/10 times. usually it would skip forward 30 seconds, play 5 seconds of audio, and go back to ad, so i always used my phones touch screen instead.

just like elon musc envisioned, except i never died in a tube

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
howd your leaf die?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bumping this thread because Elon musk sucks rear end

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

abigserve posted:

cars will never not have garbage infotainment systems and hopefully at some point in the future car companies just go "gently caress it" and provide a stereo with bluetooth and a universal mount point for phones/tablets/etc.

it's called an aux cable, nerd.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

my bitter bi rival posted:

phones don't have headphone jacks anymore grandpa

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Blue Train posted:

phones don't have headphone jacks anymore grandpa

the iPhone se, the official phone of yospos, does. :smug:

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Stereotype posted:

howd your leaf die?

my house‘s driveway is at the T of an intersection of two roads where people drive too fast too often. a drunk driver didn’t see the stop sign and continued into my driveway/car/fence/neighbor’s front yard$

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

my house‘s driveway is at the T of an intersection of two roads where people drive too fast too often. a drunk driver didn’t see the stop sign and continued into my driveway/car/fence/neighbor’s front yard$

:whitewater:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Jokes on you if you'd bought a Tesla you would have burned the guy to death

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Blue Train posted:

Jokes on you if you'd bought a Tesla you would have burned the guy to death

uhh but a tesla would have also melted my grocery store reward card

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

jeeeez sorry man :(

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Stereotype posted:

jeeeez sorry man :(

it’s a good reminder to have good insurance and not own elon msuk products

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

SO DEMANDING posted:

cool they found a new use for your moms dildo

It's nice when someone says everything that needs to be said in the first post so I don't have to read the whole thread.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

uhh but a tesla would have also melted my grocery store reward card

just use your mom's landline like everyone else

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

canyoneer posted:

just use your mom's landline like everyone else

i would have but i was 25 points away from saving 15¢/gallon at Shell

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

my bitter bi rival posted:

i wanted to use a simple bluetooth/aux dongle in my car so my phone would automatically pair and play over car speakers without any hassle. but it's poo poo if you ever want to listen to the radio b/c your phone audio just gets sent to a black hole

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
back when i had the forester i'd plug my iphone into it and would click a link for an icecast stream from my ham shack and i could listen to the old dudes via 4g it was pretty neat

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

if you ever want to listen to the radio

lol the radio is poo poo you hosed up

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Blue Train posted:

lol the radio is poo poo you hosed up

truth

the radio is hot garbage that exists only to serve fractions of an ad or mysog the bass-altered voice bro screaming about how he doesn't understand something before you can turn it off

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

https://electrek.co/2018/07/24/tesla-troll-short-doxxed-oil-industry-musk-calls-boss/

Look at this. Read the article. Read the comments. Weep.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

it’s a good reminder to have good insurance and not own elon msuk products

its a good reminder not to buy property off the end of a T intersection

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

dragon enthusiast posted:

its a good reminder not to buy property off the end of a T intersection

*throws new pittsburgh pirates hat onto the ground*

gently caress!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

truth

the radio is hot garbage that exists only to serve fractions of an ad or mysog the bass-altered voice bro screaming about how he doesn't understand something before you can turn it off

public radio can be ok

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

jonny was right

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

public radio can be ok

npr was good until it was brought to you by koch

I still listen to the podcasts though

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
nice polite republicans

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/Tweetermeyer/status/1022132157974597634

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

over/under on her going blonde is currently six months

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

lmao

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

this is basically the same set up as my parents' and im shocked this has never happened to them in almost 40 years

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

lol

https://twitter.com/The_real_colin/status/1022134595939123200?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
there's a bunch of t-intersections in the hilly old parts of the city here where they've mounted steel i-beam crossbars at about 2.5 ft. right at the top of the t-junction, presumably so that people who fail to make their turn just plow into that instead of the house