Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

I thought I needed a break from the G1, but I really, really miss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

Genericide posted:

I swore I wasn't going to watch during the 3 days off, then my friend came over.

Ended up watching Ibushi/Yano again and it ran into Sanada/ZSJ and whelp I'm re-watching the G1 matches against today.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Genericide posted:

I've started doing a daily podcast covering the G1 shows so it's been nice having a few days off.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

SalTheBard posted:

I've started doing a daily podcast covering the G1 shows so it's been nice having a few days off.

I've been blogging about each day myself and the few day break is nice for me, too. I also like not having to avoid social media all day so I don't see any G1 spoilers before I get to watch each night.

Ganso Bomb fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 25, 2018

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Let's do a fun little game here where we pick our top 5 matches and top 5 MVP candidates so far, with some random predictions down the stretch and maybe biggest surprises of the first week.

Top 5 matches

1. Ishii/Goto
2. Naito/Omega
3. Naito/Ishii
4. Ibushi/ZSJ
5. Naito/Juice

Top 5 MVPs

1. Ishii
2. Goto
3. ZSJ
4. White
5. Page

(Honorable mentions: YTR, Makabe, Naito, Omega for having those great matches with a broken freakin' heel)

Biggest surprises

1. Juice still being winless. I really enjoy the underdog story it's building up, but having the US champ take this many Ls is pretty bold and not something I would've done if I had the book. Hopefully it's leading to somewhere great.
2. Togi drat Makabe. We knew going in that the A Block might underwhelm, and some guys would have to step up their game to elevate that series, and Makabe's really held up his end of the bargain so far.
3. The Firing Squad being kinda DOA. There might be a long-term point to all these DQ finishes and bullshit, but at this point they may as well be the Tongan Wyatt Family. And Tama still isn't having killer singles matches, which was my big concern when he got this push. Very disappointing all around.

Dumb predictions down the stretch

1. Okada slowly dials back the wacky gimmick the more wins he gets, leading up to the block final showdown with Tanahashi, his greatest rival and a G1 final spot on the line. This is where he finally breaks out the robe and OG music and poo poo's going down.
2. Now that Kenny's made his heel injury public, he's gonna spend the rest of the tourney with opponents working over the foot, which is where one or two of his losses come from and prevents him from winning B Block.
3. Speaking of Kenny and the injury, he's still got the ZSJ match coming up, and you know drat well how that could go. ZSJ recovers from his slow start to win the block and face Okada in the final for a massive rubber match.
4. Juice finally wins something, I think :(

Benne fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 25, 2018

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Matches

1. Ishii/Goto
2. Naito/Omega
3. Ibushi/ZSJ
4. ZSJ/SANADA
5. Ibushi/YTR

MVPs

1. Toru Yano
2. Kota Ibushi
3. Tomohiro Ishii
4. Zack Sabre Jr.
5. Jay White

Biggest surprise for me was probably Tanahashi beating Hangman tbh. I thought that was a lock as the big upset.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I still stand by my prediction that Yano beats Kenny, giving Kota a two-point lead. Omega/Ibushi is a draw that lets Kota go to the Finals.

e: Don't ask me how they end up tied for the lead going into their eighth bout, too many possibilities.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Top Matches: Goto vs Ishii, Naito vs Omega, SANADA vs ZSJ, Goto vs Omega, Okada vs White
Can't really decide on an order for these. B Block is the one to watch this year for sure though.

MVPS:
1 - Jay White. The Suzuki match may have been underwhelming from a pure match quality standpoint but everything else Jay's been doing so far has been fantastic.
2 - Hirooki Goto. Kinda not much to say about Goto. He's putting in the kind of work you expect out of him, but since his first opponents included Omega and Ishii you naturally expect kind of a lot, and so that's been met.
3 - Tomohiro Ishii. Same as Goto, really. Plus that Yano match was fun.
4 - Kenny Omega. Fractured heel seems like the kind of thing that could be pretty badly exacerbated by the type of style Kenny wrestles but until I heard about that I couldn't tell anything was different, so good on him. Amazing matches against Naito and Goto.
5 - Juice Robinson. Guy's best weapon is unavailable, so he's losing. It makes sense. Just because he's a champion doesn't mean he's guaranteed to win despite a broken hand. Still, as a storyline he's making it very compelling. Those post-match interviews with Juice (and Finlay every other night) make me wonder how Triple H let him get away because he's loving great.

Predictions:
Juice racks up a bunch of title defenses. I have to assume the easy plan here is to give up a bunch of losses in the G1, and then once his hand is better he manages to prove he deserves the title by defending it a bunch of times against all the guys who want a shot (so probably everybody but Naito and Omega). Would kind of suck for Juice to lose like crazy in the G1 and immediately drop his first championship with 0 defenses.
Naito wins his 3rd G1. There's a hundred ways it could go down but my current theory is Naito quietly (or as quietly as possible for the most popular guy in the company) keeps pace with Omega and Ibushi and whatever their result on night 18 it ends up with Naito getting the spot in the finals a la Goto from 2 years ago. For A Block I can only really see Okada or White in the finals, though either works. He then finally gets his big WK title win against Omega next year.
Firing Squad continues to do nothing of significance. Maybe Gedo's just hesitant to gently caress up a prestigious tournament that a lot of people view as their favorite part of the New Japan calendar by having all these DQs and interference spots actually affect the results in a meaningful way, which is understandable, but they aren't even really doing post-match beatdowns, there's basically no consequences to any of what they've been doing. Kind of a shame but OTOH, gently caress 'em.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I think Ishii/Goto is my favorite match of the G1 and Ishii is my MVP, with Makabe being the surprise for how he's probably had the best all around performance in the A Block

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Best matches:

1. Naito/Omega
2. SANADA/ZSJ
3. Ibushi/Yano
4. Okada/White
5. Naito/Juice

MVPs:

1. Jay White - he's upped his game so drat hard with his character work and it's amazing
2. Juice Robinson - his losing streak is really upsetting and he's selling it so well
3. Kenny Omega - for great general match quality
4. Toru Yano - I BELIEVE IN YANO
5. Hangman Page - having a huge breakout run

This list is very gaijin-centric and I feel bad :(

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Top 5:

1: SANADA/ZSJ
2: Ibushi/ZSJ
3: Juice/Ibushi
4: Ishii/YTR
5: Tanahashi/Suzuki - A Block deserves a little love

MVP:

1: ZSJ
2: YTR
3: Juice
4: Ishii
5: SANADA

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony
Favorite matches - Ishii vs Goto, Ishii vs Naito, Kenny vs Naito, Sanada vs Zack, Ibushi vs Yano.

mvps

Ishii
Juice
Ibushi
Kenny
Zack

Biggest surprise for me is how much I really feel the loss of Nagata.I was looking at the A block and trying to figure out what is missing there compared to last year and it hit me: it's him. Every night last year he tore it all up to where you knew even Fale was gonna have an awesome match with him. That combined with everyone else being utterly fantastic pushed it over the edge to where there weren't any slow nights in the entire tourney that I can recall. I can feel his absence in the A block and it took me half the tournament to put my finger on that's what it was.

predictions for me, I'm terrible at these when it comes to Gedo's longterm storytelling, so please don't laugh at me.

The Firing Squad to me feels like a safety measure in case come January the Elite head to Connecticut then it does any kind of Tama Tonga push. Six months to establish bullet club as something other than those guys again just in case the worst case scenario comes to pass.

Finals I'd like to see is Naito vs Tanahashi, but i can see Naito vs Okada too if Okada is going to find himself anytime soon.

My gut is that Naito wins the g1, Ibushi joins LIJ at WK and costs kenny the belt. LIJ is kind of the collection of dudes Naito hangs out with after work and he's buds with Ibushi. Plus they can redo the spot from Ibushi vs AJ but this time with Ibushi crossing the line Kenny wouldn't. I think that's the route of highest possible drama.

I suspect though Lost Soul Okada might be a long term story not resolving until he starts the road to get the belt back. I'm thinking that is a year or so away just because the planet earth needs a proper six month Naito reign after Kenny. If that's the case I think Tanahashi is going to beat him in convincing fashion and we may even see a return of Weeping Okada.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

1. Ishii vs Goto
2. SANADA vs Zack
3. YTR vs Ibushi
4. Kenny vs Naito
5. Kenny vs Goto

MVPs
1. Ishii
2. YTR
3. Kenny
4. Goto
5. Juice (real hard to pick between him and Naito)

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
Matches:

1. Ishii vs Goto
2. Naito vs Kenny
3. SANADA vs ZSJ
4. Okada vs White
5. Ibushi vs ZSJ

MVPs:

1. White - He's made me a believer in this tournament
2. YTR - I don't think anything needs to be said!
3. SANADA - My heart had him to win the thing, so I'll always hold him high
4. Naito - Loved every match he's had, to no surprise
5. ZSJ - He's king of tournaments (but don't tell Suzuki I called someone else king)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

sanada

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sooper Gila posted:

I suspect though Lost Soul Okada might be a long term story not resolving until he starts the road to get the belt back. I'm thinking that is a year or so away just because the planet earth needs a proper six month Naito reign after Kenny. If that's the case I think Tanahashi is going to beat him in convincing fashion and we may even see a return of Weeping Okada.

I agree that Weird Kazu is going to be hear a while. The longer they leave it, the bigger the pop will be when True God Rainmaker returns. I would guess next year's G1 final at the earliest.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Best matches:
1) Ibushi/ZSJ
2) Goto/Ishii
3) White/Okada
4) Ibushi/Yano
5) Naito/Omega

MVPs:
1) Juice -- I just care about his matches and him a surprising amount. I just want him to do well!!!!
2) White -- I just want him to be a huge brat and he's doin a swell job of that
3) Okada -- Even weird lost Okada puts on really good matches
4) Ibushi -- I feel like Ibushi always makes people look just really joyful about wrestling, but also frustrated and really wanting to win
5) Ishii -- he's just really fun to watch, and interesting to see how his wrestling style is countered by others (I like ZSJ a lot for the same reason).

It was really hard to choose that list!

Biggest surprises:
1) Goto's crowd heat for throwing that chair
2) Winless Juice :smith:
3) Okada slamming Rocky in the face with a balloon
4) ZSJ/Ibushi having the horniest match possible and that match also being my favorite example of two disparate wrestling styles meshing really well together
5) Page/Tanahashi interactions and Page's wrestling as a whole

Predictions:
Originally I had Evil and White being the biggest factors in A block, but I think it'll come down to Tana and White.
B Block I think will be Ibushi/Omega/Naito at the same points in the lead at the block final, Omega/Ibushi going to a draw, and Naito winning by a point.
Naito wins.

Juice defends a bunch.
Ishii goes after never title.
Okada stays weird, but finds his weird footing rather than being lost-weird.
Yano feels as though he's fully vindicated his alma mater, and shown that they're not dirty cheaters at all

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Top Matches:
1) Ibushi/ZSJ
2) Ishii/Goto
3) Kenny/Goto
4) Kenny/Naito
5) ZSJ/YTR

MVPs:
1) Jay White - only guy making A Block interesting right now
2) Goto - B Block is a shark tank and Goto is getting the best match out of everyone
3) Omega - it's a guaranteed great match
4) Ibushi - see above
5) Juice - the crowd wants him to get that win so badly and the hand gives every match a new dimension

Surprises:
1) Omega beating Naito and shattering my entire WK scenario
2) Jay White and Suzuki having a really disappointing match. They were probably just worn out from the quadruple shot but I really wanted to see Suzuki teach that little poo poo a lesson.
3) Hangman Page crushing it
4) ZSJ/SANADA having a G1 match with I think no actual bumps and it being awesome
5) Just how bad the Firing Squad has been. I expected some bullshit but it is ruining every match they are involved in and they look Wild E Coyote levels of incompetent.

Predictions:
- SANADA beats Kenny in the blocks to set up the KOPW title match
- Kenny and Kota tie on the final night to put Naito in the finals where's he will win
- EVIL beats Okada again
- Michael Elgin fails to clear his own head on the splash mountain bomb 3 more times (he's already failed at 4 of 5 attempts)
- Jay White makes the finals and uses that as leverage to try to continue stealing Chaos away

Takuan
May 6, 2007

I'm not good at evaluating and ranking matches so I'll skip that, but: MVPs:

1)The Stone Pitbull, Tomohiro Ishii
2)Knife Pervert
3)The New and Improved Toru Yano
4)JUUUUICE!
5)Heel Goto

Ishii is one of my favorite dudes in the company, and he's been great this whole tournament. Jay White has finally gotten a handle on his gimmick and you know you're a good heel if you can make Suzuki-Gun defacto faces. I'm really enjoying the new Yano, he's still got all his tricks, but now he has even more tools to use in matches. Juice is awesome, has been awesome for about a year now, and continues to get even more awesome with every match. I'm generally not much in to Goto, but it was fun watching him play the heel in the Kenny/Goto match.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Matches:
1) Naito/Omega
2) Ibushi/ZSJ
3) Ishii/Yano
4) ZSJ/Yano
5) Goto/Ishii

MVPs:
1) Jay White
2) ZSJ
3) Yano
4) Ibushi
5) Ishii

I'm in 2nd place (ex-aequo) in the Wrestleplania discord's predictions game, so, you can trust my predictions that Ibushi beats Kenny to take the block, Jay White takes A block and loses to Ibushi in the finals, and YOSHI-HASHI beats Okada.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Charles Gnarwin posted:

4) ZSJ/SANADA having a G1 match with I think no actual bumps and it being awesome

They decided to build the entire plane out of chain wrestling and rollups and it was an amazing decision

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
Matches
1.Goto/Ishii - These two, unreal
2.Naito/Omega - no, THESE two...
3.Tanahashi/Page - Seasoned G1 vet outlasts a solid beating from the new blood
4.Elgin/EVIL - Hoss fight!
5.Sanada/ZSJ - I dislike ZSJ so much, that this really worked for me.

Honorable Mention - Juice/Ibushi

MVPs - The usual suspects really. No real surprises there other than maybe Okada not being one of them.

Big surprise for me is Yano. I've enjoyed all of his matches in a way I didn't think I would or have before. Especially against Ibushi.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I feel like the BCOGs not actually having much direction is kind of the point. Tama is just an angry rage monster with no real rhyme or reason to it. The attack on Page the first night made some amount of sense in a "making a statement," way, but since then it's become clear he's just pissed off at everyone and everything. He's losing matches because he's attacking the ref. He's starting poo poo with LIJ for no reason. He's even gotten kicked off Twitter for picking fights with fans. It's directionless anger, and I think that might be on purpose right now. It's Bullet Clubs worst, most violent aspects without any kind of real leadership to direct it and make it into something that actually benefits them.

I might be totally off base, but it seems like it's all to drive home that Tama is wrong in his vision (if he even has one beyond "gently caress em") of what Bullet Club is and should be and Kenny is right.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Yea I take what they're doing as a revolt against everyone and everything, they're out to ruin the G1. And those gosh darn heels are getting away with it :argh:

What I never understand though is why aren't other stables sending out seconds to combat it pre-emptively? The rest of the Bullet Club & LIJ coming out to help their stablemates was great but late on both accounts.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Top 5:
1) Ishii vs Goto, Night 6
2) SANADA vs ZSJ, Night 6
3) Naito vs Omega, Night 2
4) Ishii vs Naito, Night 4
5) Ishii vs Yano, Night 2

MVPs:
1) Ishii
2) YTR
3) Naito
4) Goto
5) Switchblade

Prediction: SANADA will continue being the smartest man in this G1.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

If the BCOG are just out here to ruin the G1 then I hate them even more. That was supposed to be TAICHI's job. He said he was going to ruin everything until people paid attention to him.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I miss Taichi :(

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I gotta be honest if the BCOGs got replaced by my boys Taichi and Iizuka doing the exact same thing, I'd be loving it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Taichi's Gun Stun probably sucks.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Tama Tonga is so bad that even YOSHI loving HASHI looks more at home in the G1 than him

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

VJeff posted:

Taichi's Gun Stun probably sucks.

Okay instead of the gun stun, he crack the mic stand over Red Shoes's head like he did to Naito that one time.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Tama Tonga has such a good look but man he's so boring in the ring

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Is the G1 back yet?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

In just under 13 hours my friend!

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Tama Tonga is sexy but so is Kota Ibushi and Ibushi doesn't need to have his matches carried for him.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Benne posted:

I miss Taichi :(

Taichi is making us wait because he knows it means we will love him more when he returns

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Tama is especially bad because he has all of the tools to be great except for knowing how to put on a good match. He has boring dull theme music with no hook. That is also how he wrestles.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

mvp

1. toru yano

end of list

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

Tama is especially bad because he has all of the tools to be great except for knowing how to put on a good match. He has boring dull theme music with no hook. That is also how he wrestles.

Isn't his music by Rocky?

STONE COLD 64 posted:

mvp

1. toru yano

end of list

:yeah:

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't his music by Rocky?

As funny as that'd be, it's made by their regular artist, Yonosuke Kitamura.

• Locked thread