Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Snowman_McK posted:

It's okay, man. We're here for you. This is a safe, warm place. I nearly lost it when Rose lost to Carla.

i dont thing so i stated my feelings and got called g*y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
lol, Colby

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mekchu posted:

We all lost is when Rose KO'd Joana tho :allears:

That's supplanted 'he ran up the wall like a NINJA' for 'best commentary moment.' DC just forgets how to talk and screams 'THUG ROSE' over and over. It's awesome.

Bundt Cake posted:

i dont thing so i stated my feelings and got called g*y

We're all gay here. We happily watch two shirtless men roll around on the floor trying to make the other submit. We're gay, all the way down.

Haha, get hosed Colby, you dumb fuckin' idiot.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
even if till doesn't miss weight or die in the cut and actually fights woodley it will be another woodley / wonderboy. that's what we've got to look forward to. a guy who out-tentatively-struck wonderboy (controversially) fighting tyron woodley.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Ufc 228 is still a turd and won’t break 200k buys.

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

eric posted:

Ufc 228 is still a turd and won’t break 200k buys.

it's a whole lot better than 227 is shaping up to be. we only get one event a year in LA, presumably because we're sort of close to vegas, and just look at the precipitous drop-off after the two (vaguely interesting, rematch) title fights. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_227

that said I got to go to 199 in person so no room to complain for the rest of my life

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I'm torn between my desire to see Colby get screwed for no reason and my desire to see TWood beat Colby to death

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
also did Keven die

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I can't believe a guy with one arm is about to win a UFC contender series fight

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Soothing Vapors posted:

I'm torn between my desire to see Colby get screwed for no reason and my desire to see TWood beat Colby to death

Same.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Huh, I’m realizing now that I’m rooting for Woodley over Till. What happened

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Titles don't matter. Quick. Someone get Colby to the president before they come repossess his belt!

SBNation posted:

UFC president Dana White told ESPN that Covington’s interim title will now be stripped as soon as Woodley vs. Till is officially underway, a scenario that closely mirrors UFC 223’s lightweight situation with Tony Ferguson.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Untrustable posted:

Titles don't matter. Quick. Someone get Colby to the president before they come repossess his belt!

The Colby Screw Job

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Why are UFC titles such a loving joke and why can't the roster stay healthy? Like as a casual viewer those are two major things that I feel like are holding the UFC back.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Because USADA is effective and all our favorite fighters used recuperation steroids + rehydration IVs before it was officially enstated

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Why can't elite level combat sports athletes stay uninjured?
E: /sarcasm

Hollandia fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 25, 2018

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Hollandia posted:

one post above you

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Waroduce posted:

Why are UFC titles such a loving joke and why can't the roster stay healthy? Like as a casual viewer those are two major things that I feel like are holding the UFC back.

Well see UFC wanted to not emulate boxing by having titles diluting divisions.

They they got Conor and got sold and went all in EVERYONES GOTTA BE A STAR AND CHAMPIONS ARE STARS SO EVERYONES A CHAMPION

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Because USADA is effective and all our favorite fighters used recuperation steroids + rehydration IVs before it was officially enstated

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Waroduce posted:

Zuffa-era UFC did a better (not perfect, but better) job of keeping its titles meaningful, but the confluence of events that was losing stars like Rousey and Jones, building and losing control of a monster in McGregor and the WME merger putting the UFC under the purview of people who could not give less of a gently caress about the sport or longterm sustainability has created a hellscape where by this time next year we'll have had like four multi-divisional champions and three more interim titles and whoever's fighting for the flyweight title next will be doing it on the undercard of a Fight Night on ESPN Deportes.

There also used to be less injury changes, but that's mostly because there are exponentially more fights and thus fighters than there used to be (edit: I just did math and 48% of all UFC cards ever held happened in the last five years, jesus christ) and, to a lesser extent, for a long time there was no health coverage or safety net for fighters so fighters tended not to pull out unless they absolutely had to. People were fighting with broken bones and torn muscles on a fairly regular basis. MMA is a brutal loving sport requiring near-constant training but it's also just niche enough that a lot of its prominent trainers still think things like 'bounce on this exercise ball while swinging a sledgehammer over your head and doing squat thrusts' are good ideas, and then Tony Ferguson tries to wave at a friend and his body abruptly explodes and everyone acts confused.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

CarlCX posted:

48% of all UFC cards ever held happened in the last five years

goddamn

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

CarlCX posted:

[48% of all UFC cards ever held happened in the last five years, jesus christ)

True but 69 percent of all posts on the internet happened in the last 420 minutes

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Isn’t Borrachinha the impossibly beautiful man-slab who beat up the guy who owns the bad steak house? I think it moved when I saw him walk to the Octagon.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hollandia posted:

E: /sarcasm

Boxers manage to do it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Woodley is going absolutely destroy Till.

Mostly because Till fights like a journeyman.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
hahahahaha gently caress you colby

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

tesilential posted:

Boxers manage to do it.

Under USADA?

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Woodley is going absolutely destroy Till by majority decision.

Agreed

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

There are plenty of guys who never failed a test who also never/rarely pull out with injuries.

I think it’s more that boxers have camps set up around one athlete and everyone’s job (as in they are literally paid to do this) is to help them prepare without getting injured or burnt out. The whole camp is focused on getting the fighter to his/her fight. In an MMA camp, there might be 5 top guys all prepping for a fight at once, and I’d imagine it’s rougher sparring a motivated guy with a fight coming up than a dude who was flown in specifically for you to beat up.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Isn’t Borrachinha the impossibly beautiful man-slab who beat up the guy who owns the bad steak house? I think it moved when I saw him walk to the Octagon.

Yes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6yj7jjWVHs

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

tesilential posted:

There are plenty of guys who never failed a test who also never/rarely pull out with injuries.

I think it’s more that boxers have camps set up around one athlete and everyone’s job (as in they are literally paid to do this) is to help them prepare without getting injured or burnt out. The whole camp is focused on getting the fighter to his/her fight. In an MMA camp, there might be 5 top guys all prepping for a fight at once, and I’d imagine it’s rougher sparring a motivated guy with a fight coming up than a dude who was flown in specifically for you to beat up.

There's also probably a lot less than can go wrong with a boxer. You aren't grappling or taking anyone down, so you are unlikely to have a back or leg injury.

Beethovens Fist Symphony
Oct 21, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Sweet, can't wait to see how the NYSAC fucks it all up for us.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah it's really tough to get excited about any fight that's further out than two or three days at this point

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Beethovens Fist Symphony posted:

Sweet, can't wait to see how the NYSAC fucks it all up for us.

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1021888449924816898

Still doesn't seem like it is official.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The UFC used to announce fights only if they were agreed to, preferably also signed. Either someone in the UFC hosed up, or they are now beginning to use fight announcements to pressure fighters into signing. "Look Yoel, we already announced the fight, so just sign. If you don't, then we'll have to explain to the public that you don't want to fight and... well, thats not going to look good for you."

Rigel fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 25, 2018

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Theyve been using fight announcements as pressure tactics for a few years now, while specific examples elude me right now I know they have happened where a fight is announced through official channels and a fighter immediately announces they had no idea about it.

individual865
Mar 26, 2007

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.

Soothing Vapors posted:

also did Keven die

Nah he still tweets, but I’m slightly concerned about LobsterMobster, she hasn’t posted or tweeted in a while. :ohdear:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

individual865 posted:

Nah he still tweets, but I’m slightly concerned about LobsterMobster, she hasn’t posted or tweeted in a while. :ohdear:
all good posters leave. What's Kevens twitter I feel left out

Also, i guess Bisping is really retired

E: ok image didnt post let me image leech from reddit https://i.redd.it/fg0z116gr0c11.jpg

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 25, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

E: ok image didnt post let me image leech from reddit https://i.redd.it/fg0z116gr0c11.jpg

Is his eye fixed now or did he get a glass eye now that he's done fighting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Soothing Vapors posted:

This is the ideal make face. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

• Locked thread