Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Clara is a goddamned delight in the 50th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, she was pretty indistinct during Smith's regular run, but she was great in the 50th, real good in Time of the Doctor and then she and Capaldi's chemistry just immediately worked. I loved season 8 a lot.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, she was pretty indistinct during Smith's regular run, but she was great in the 50th, real good in Time of the Doctor and then she and Capaldi's chemistry just immediately worked. I loved season 8 a lot.

I feel like Twelve is written too cruel in a lot of season 8, but it sort of lets Clara come into her own. Her away-from-Doctor life is a lot more engaging than most companions, even post-revival, and her desperate attempt to fix the broken, angry old man that used to be her goofy, imaginary wizard friend are way more heartbreaking than her self-sacrifice to save Eleven from time shenanigans (to say nothing of the Multiple Claras, Mystery Woman problem).

I think the first season of Clara is about the writers struggling to find chemistry between Eleven and a new companion, her second season is about the writers juggling, and sometimes dropping, the difficulty of writing an edgier Doctor, and her last season is when their chemistry really comes into its own.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I think you’re skimming over the best part, where the ship is overrun by lepers while some guy starts devouring the scenery. WE’RE ALL GONNA DIIIIIIIIIE

Well, there wasn't much scenery left for the poor guy after Valentine Dyall got done Black Guardianing it up, but point taken.

(I do love him as the Black Guardian, though my favorite scene between him and Turlough is in the third part where he's all WHY HAVEN'T YOU KILLED THE DOCTOR YET and Turlough's very sensible response is that he hasn't even seen the guy for basically the entire serial.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

When she appeals to Eleven to save Gallifrey, she absolutely sells how heartbroken Clara is at the thought of her Doctor pushing that button.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

I feel like Twelve is written too cruel in a lot of season 8, but it sort of lets Clara come into her own.

I agree to a point, but I also think the Doctor coming across as a bit nastier/crueler is paid off beautifully in Mummy on the Orient Express when he pushes Clara to the breaking point only to reveal that you're loving right he is THE Doctor. The moment his theme kicks in is so loving good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqNDkSqL4TA

:hellyeah:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Greetings Doctor Who thread. I have been watching the series on Amazon and enjoying most of it, but I'm coming up on Matt Smith's last season and uh, Amazon doesn't organize things well. I'm struggling to find the proper viewing order for everything and hoping you all can help me out. Christmas Special for 7 part 1, then 7 part 2, then? Christmas Special? Where does all the 50th anniversary stuff fall?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
• Season 6 part 2
• The Doctor, The Widow, and the Wardrobe (Xmas special)
• Season 7 part 1
• The Snowmen (Xmas special)
• Season 7 part 2
The Night of the Doctor mini episode
• The Day of the Doctor
• The Time of the Doctor (Xmas special)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

And enjoy! Especially the episodes I like, but ESPECIALLY the episodes I don't!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The_Doctor posted:

• Season 6 part 2
• Season 7 part 1
• The Snowmen (Xmas special)
• Season 7 part 2
The Night of the Doctor mini episode
• The Day of the Doctor
• The Time of the Doctor (Xmas special)

Thanks so much! I had it almost figured out but Amazon's series ordering does them no favors.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jerusalem posted:

I'm finding that it's a lot like TNG in that even the worst episodes have interesting things that make them at least somewhat worth watching, but there's plenty of good stuff throughout.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Android Blues posted:

Clara has an awful dynamic with the Smith Doctor (romantic tension which is always painful, she comes off as Amy-lite, extremely generic writing), but when Capaldi comes along they give her a properly meaty character that I think ends up making her the best modern companion.

She's unafraid to challenge 12 on his poo poo, and is just about as competent and clever as him, and just gets loads to do. At the same time she's believably flawed, but in many of the same ways that the Doctor is, so rather than it being this, "kind and patient woman, erratic and irresponsible man" dynamic, you have two arrogant clever-clogs running around the galaxy bickering with each other.

Maybe that's it, she had a bit of a seen it all before, anything you can do I can do better attitude about her that I don't really remember being that central to her character. No doubt she'll get better as the series continues.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Hello there Amazon this better not be a fake.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

There was the rumor from a few days ago that it and Macra were getting releases with the missing eps animated. Of course, there's only a listing for Wheel, since everyone knows there's no such thing as Macra.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I love stories of the people who played the Doctor interacting, and the Doctor Who Youtube channel just uploaded a real fun one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydLT9BU8vQ0

Also, pointed out by the comments: she borrows the Brooklyn 99 'cool, coolcoolcoolcoolcool', because she's a huge fan. So it was probably her that got that photo to happen, and I'm slowly realizing that every single thing I learn about Jodie makes me like her more!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Cleretic posted:

I love stories of the people who played the Doctor interacting, and the Doctor Who Youtube channel just uploaded a real fun one.

Also, pointed out by the comments: she borrows the Brooklyn 99 'cool, coolcoolcoolcoolcool', because she's a huge fan. So it was probably her that got that photo to happen, and I'm slowly realizing that every single thing I learn about Jodie makes me like her more!

Awwwwww! :3:

Of course, now I can instantly hear Peralta asking "Captain, you're a million years old and know everything. What's a police box? I only ask because there's one downstairs."

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

If you x-ray the listing you'll find that it, in fact, reads THIS IS A FAKE in felt marker underneath.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Davros1 posted:

There was the rumor from a few days ago that it and Macra were getting releases with the missing eps animated. Of course, there's only a listing for Wheel, since everyone knows there's no such thing as Macra.

I thought there weren't any surviving episodes of Macra at all. Would that be the first one that's wholly redone in animation?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DoctorWhat posted:

If you x-ray the listing you'll find that it, in fact, reads THIS IS A FAKE in felt marker underneath.

You're my favorite goon, did you know that?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I live to please.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I thought there weren't any surviving episodes of Macra at all. Would that be the first one that's wholly redone in animation?

Power of the Daleks.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

PotD was a fun romp, even if there were moments where the animation kinda stalled because the audio was vague

Meanwhile, at SDCC...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG3Ok6SkD2Y

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Cleretic posted:

the entire panel is worth watching. biggest pleasant surprise is that Tosin Cole is fuckin' hilarious, and I hope that translates to his character in the show.
Jodie Whittaker remains an absolute delight, a sheer force of nature, and every bit of publicity she does, it becomes more clear why Chibnall cast her.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

:smith:

https://twitter.com/themindrobber/status/1022239725850120193

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Spatula City posted:

the entire panel is worth watching. biggest pleasant surprise is that Tosin Cole is fuckin' hilarious, and I hope that translates to his character in the show.
Jodie Whittaker remains an absolute delight, a sheer force of nature, and every bit of publicity she does, it becomes more clear why Chibnall cast her.

One thing I recall noting about all three performers is how open and expressive they are. Seeing actors in this setting, sitting next to the bosses, and being utterly unguarded (except for spoilers, of course) hints at good things on the production side of things.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

The_Doctor posted:

Of course, now I can instantly hear Peralta asking "Captain, you're a million years old and know everything. What's a police box? I only ask because there's one downstairs."

Thirteen uses the TARDIS in HalloVIen to claim the title of Amazing Time Lord/Genius.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

When they arrive, Terry's trying to lift it. And succeeding.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I don't really know how my mind went to it yesterday, but I started thinking about which single B99 character would fit the best as a guest in a Christmas episode or something.

Jake, Charles, Gina and Terry are all out because they're a little too inherently comedic, they wouldn't feel right for the 'generally serious but with some jokes' you'd need (they could totally pull it off acting-wise, especially Terry, but it'd feel weird). Amy fits right in right away, though, and Captain Holt would only be a weird fit in ways that are interesting rather than difficult.

But the real winner is Rosa, especially if she gets involved while she's off the clock. We know she acts totally differently around different groups, so introduce her under one of her nicer identities for when she's at home or something, and let the Rosa slowly come out over time. As an added bonus, she's the only one where it could reasonably be B99 canon as well, because every other character would talk immediately about the fact they fought aliens, but Rosa just wouldn't bring it up except as a weird off-handed joke about her past.

...Or, you know. Have Hitchcock and Scully save the world and nobody believe them. That'd work too.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Depends on whether you want to go semi-serious or ultra-camp; I just love the idea of Hitchcock or Scully trying to keep up with the Doctor but failing.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
The Doctor - "Do you want to come with me? Because if you do, you're going to...Hitchcock, why do you have your shirt off?"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

This tweet is cute, and I love that he signs his autograph "The Doctor"

https://twitter.com/callumread_/status/1022210486543294465

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Unlike Tennant and Capaldi, who don't even include their real names and just sign "The Doctor." And Capaldi's been doing it for the past 30 years.

Still, could be a good sign Eccleston might be warming up to returning in some fashion.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I mentioned this before, but BF mentioned when they were doing the 9th Doctor Chronicles, they asked Chris if he was interested. They said he he said no, but they said he also wanted to keep the door open for the future.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Cleretic posted:

I don't really know how my mind went to it yesterday, but I started thinking about which single B99 character would fit the best as a guest in a Christmas episode or something.

Jake, Charles, Gina and Terry are all out because they're a little too inherently comedic, they wouldn't feel right for the 'generally serious but with some jokes' you'd need (they could totally pull it off acting-wise, especially Terry, but it'd feel weird). Amy fits right in right away, though, and Captain Holt would only be a weird fit in ways that are interesting rather than difficult.

But the real winner is Rosa, especially if she gets involved while she's off the clock. We know she acts totally differently around different groups, so introduce her under one of her nicer identities for when she's at home or something, and let the Rosa slowly come out over time. As an added bonus, she's the only one where it could reasonably be B99 canon as well, because every other character would talk immediately about the fact they fought aliens, but Rosa just wouldn't bring it up except as a weird off-handed joke about her past.

...Or, you know. Have Hitchcock and Scully save the world and nobody believe them. That'd work too.

Yeah 100% Rosa. At the end The Doctor would be asking her if she wants to join her as a companion and Rosa would turn it down to go meet the gang at the bar.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Capaldi in the 1st Doctor TARDIS:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The_Doctor posted:

Just finished this and I was absolutely delighted. In the beginning when Mag was helping him find the Tardis I was thinking "just once I want him to have lost the Tardis and find it only to discover it's just a real police box" and then the episode immediately delivered. Kudos Doctor Who.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

DrNutt posted:

Just finished this and I was absolutely delighted. In the beginning when Mag was helping him find the Tardis I was thinking "just once I want him to have lost the Tardis and find it only to discover it's just a real police box" and then the episode immediately delivered. Kudos Doctor Who.

Yeah, shame about the rest of the episode.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DrNutt posted:

I did really like that bit too. Overall I think that episode is really awful, but like I said....

Jerusalem posted:

:)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I saw Nicola Walker on the cover of a magazine, and I didn’t recognise her for a moment because she was smiling. Every time I hear her in the BF 8 audios or see her on TV, she always looks so dour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Someone's report from a Who con this weekend:

https://twitter.com/CallMeCharleyyy/status/1023514459204198400

• Locked thread