Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Bloody posted:

let's do it. I have no viable product ideas

you’re ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i'll draw BLOCKCHAIN somewhere on the whiteboard, you can start with that

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I have an actual product idea but it would be subscription based and I'd want to HQ in Milwaukee instead of the stupid sf bay so it's doomed from the start probably.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

carry on then posted:

no

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

jit bull transpile posted:

I have an actual product idea but it would be subscription based and I'd want to HQ in Milwaukee instead of the stupid sf bay so it's doomed from the start probably.

can I work 100% remote

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

what's the price point?
if you would be doing individual 500k/yr deals, then yeah it's doomed
$25/mo, maybe not

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

i'd live in milwaukee imo

i've never typed milwaukee before what a weird word

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

bob dobbs is dead posted:

what's the price point?
if you would be doing individual 500k/yr deals, then yeah it's doomed
$25/mo, maybe not

Its an app meant for families and yeah I was thinking like 10 and 25 buck a month tiers based in what features they want.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i'd live in milwaukee imo

i've never typed milwaukee before what a weird word

Wait til you hear how we pronounce it.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
a wallet chain made from a block chain for holding your paper wallet

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Its an app meant for families and yeah I was thinking like 10 and 25 buck a month tiers based in what features they want.

b2c is terrible and people are awful
i wish you the best of luck

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

follow your heart friend. you're smart and if it's actually a good idea i think you'll know

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
buy out several city blocks and turn it into an adult theme park fantasy land that is exactly like a normal city in every way except that trump was never elected president.

that's where i want to go on vacation.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
a space exploration startup whose only goal is to send elon musk to the kuiper belt

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
sorry, i'm done.

mystes
May 31, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

a space exploration startup whose only goal is to send elon musk to the kuiper belt
Maybe start with sending elon musk into the sun as an MVP?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

carry on then posted:

"Argh dominic you rat, how could you give your own brother the ol' rusty blockchain?"

Next slide please *click*

as you can see, we at Rusty Blockhain LLChave projected growth of 10,000%, VC buy in at $50 million.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

vodkat posted:

terrible programmer status:

Before I left last night I wrote a quick and nasty script to process a bunch of data. This morning I found out it took 9 hours to run. Out of embarrassment I've just rewritten it properly and got that down to 5 minutes :cripes:

it's a one-off, who cares

that's my philosophy anyway, and i write some nasty-rear end poo poo

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
Terrible programmers rejoice

Now we can all be rockstar programmers

https://github.com/dylanbeattie/rockstar

code:
Tommy was a lovestruck ladykiller 
initialises Tommy with the value 100

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Kilometres Davis posted:

code:

:eyepop:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Kilometres Davis posted:

code:

quote:

The modifier not will invert the meaning of the comparison, similar to IS NULL / IS NOT NULL in SQL. The keyword ain't is an alias for is not. This usage runs contrary to idiomatic English, where "Tommy isn't anybody", "Tommy ain't nobody" and "Tommy ain't not nobody" somehow mean exactly the same thing.
this rules

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
rust magnetometer ststus: done and it calculates the angle from (magnetic) North it seems consistent but I have ordered a magnetic compass to check. This is much easier because I live on the Greenwich line so don't have to really correct for geographic vs magnetic north lol

It also calculates the angles between two (hard coded) GPS coords now too but I have to be careful not to check my address into my public github repo. Next up: loving around with stepper motors

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i really like it when stuff i wrote a while ago telling myself they might be useful in the future so i should make a minimum effort to make them re-usable turn out to actually be useful in the future and actually re-usable. it happened this week. it's a nice feeling, which normally don't occur when doing anything computer related. it makes me hopeful that some day, after computers, i may even know joy, or maybe even love

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i had a streak of over-engineering 5 things and now i'm really cautious about it.

my natural inclination is to over-engineer, i really enjoy the process of greenfield poo poo so i go overboard and it's probably my worst quality as an engineer. fortunately i'm aware of it and do my best to combat it now.

i go hog wild in personal projects, though.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

a rusty venture, if you will
Ha ha ha!

Nice onesie, dick.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

if you did this I'd legit be interested depending on the idea and/or timing

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ThePeavstenator posted:

if you did this I'd legit be interested depending on the idea and/or timing

I'd need to learn quite a few technologies to even have a demo doable so it's more of a pie in the sky dream than anything.

Although if I do it as a web app I can fake the backend for demo purposes I guess. I should probably make myself at least start loving around with it in my free time.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

gonadic io posted:

rust magnetometer ststus: done and it calculates the angle from (magnetic) North it seems consistent but I have ordered a magnetic compass to check. This is much easier because I live on the Greenwich line so don't have to really correct for geographic vs magnetic north lol

It also calculates the angles between two (hard coded) GPS coords now too but I have to be careful not to check my address into my public github repo. Next up: loving around with stepper motors

how are you feeling about arduino as your choice for doing embedded stuff in rust? i'm super interested in learning more about embedded but i dont want to get super serious (yet).

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

c cron gui replacement gui update s:

me: here i found you option to do the same but this one is used by real and reputable people
sr: no but this piece of poo poo with have systematic problems with was used at the last job so ill try to work around it or ask you to janitor it if everything fails. thanks for looking

:suicide:

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 25, 2018

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

gonadic io posted:

i dont get it, what does magnetic north vs geographic north has to do with greenwich line? it will still be off?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

ctps: trying to figure out the best way to refactor some blobs of python and java ive been molding into applications for others use. i reuse the same python modules i've made a lot but havent made them into a library yet, so i end up reworking the same files from git into new scripts.

users only care about the end points i make and not the code. i don't know what good design is, and i've been heavily influenced by poo poo like higher order perl to make everything static functions or map/reduces with as few externalities as possible, so i don't really know what to do to make everything more... java-y or pythonic or whatever. i don't think it matters?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Tankakern posted:

i dont get it, what does magnetic north vs geographic north has to do with greenwich line? it will still be off?

yeah magnetic declination doesn’t exactly follow the Greenwich meridian, especially south of the equator

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Share Bear posted:

ctps: trying to figure out the best way to refactor some blobs of python and java ive been molding into applications for others use. i reuse the same python modules i've made a lot but havent made them into a library yet, so i end up reworking the same files from git into new scripts.

users only care about the end points i make and not the code. i don't know what good design is, and i've been heavily influenced by poo poo like higher order perl to make everything static functions or map/reduces with as few externalities as possible, so i don't really know what to do to make everything more... java-y or pythonic or whatever. i don't think it matters?

anyone who can write readable perl can write readable python and java

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

ComradeCosmobot posted:

yeah magnetic declination doesn’t exactly follow the Greenwich meridian, especially south of the equator

Ah I thought it was some gmt thing, good to know.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

how are you feeling about arduino as your choice for doing embedded stuff in rust? i'm super interested in learning more about embedded but i dont want to get super serious (yet).

Arduino is good because anything with that name is designed for beginners and all the breakout boards that namedrop arduino are also designed for beginners.

The IDE is okay for examples to copy from but useless to actually work in even for c. The arm arduino (zero, mkrzero, etc) are good but a bit less supported in terms of nice rust libraries than the bluepill devices (just because that's what the dude who is implementing most of this stuff has/prefers) . Avr rust support is technically existant but awful. Last time I looked yuu had to use a fork of rustc

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 25, 2018

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The last 3 code reviews I have done have been denied.

Step 1) Pull the branch
Step 2) Load into IDE
Step 3) Look at all the warnings and clang-tidy issues that have been introduced.
Step 4) Deny pull request with a shitload of comments about the warnings and other clang-tidy issues.

How many times will I have to do this before the developers get it through their head that at a bare minimum, your code shouldn't introduce more warnings in the god drat code?

Edit*

Also, if I see any god drat char *'s or char arrays that aren't 100% absolutely necessary, I will flip my poo poo.
We spent several weeks cleaning out the "Treat C++ like C with classes" code to update it to modern C++17, I will not be throwing C poo poo back in there.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 25, 2018

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
For reference with my mkrzero (samd21g18a) I now need no unsafe code and no pointer loving which is a million times better than it was a year ago: https://github.com/djmcgill/coffee-compass/blob/master/src/main.rs

I have all three of gpio, uart, and i2c being used in this crate, no big deal. Nowhere near stable though, all version 0.1 of libraries and I'm even using a dude's branch of a library because his pull request hasn't been accepted yet

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 25, 2018

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

gonadic io posted:

For reference with my mkrzero (samd21g18a) I now need no unsafe code and no pointer loving which is a million times better than it was a year ago: https://github.com/djmcgill/coffee-compass/blob/master/src/main.rs

I have all three of gpio, uart, and i2c being used in this crate, no big deal. Nowhere near stable though, all version 0.1 of libraries and I'm even using a dude's branch of a library because his pull request hasn't been accepted yet

nice yeah, i want to do this. that is such a departure from the code i've been writing. i think i have byte anxiety.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

nice yeah, i want to do this. that is such a departure from the code i've been writing. i think i have byte anxiety.

The main downside is that there's no working rust usb stack yet so you can't use the mkrzero's USB port to do serial logging, I bought a separate usart-to-USB device

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

LaTeX makes me so goddamn unreasonably mad. I just wanna make a flowchart for my paper, but somehow just importing TikZ (the standard package for this AFAICT) causes my paper to no longer compile.

My hacky solution is to move all my flowchart generation to a wholly separate LaTeX project, then just include the PDF generated by that. Which isn't too bad; but it's so frustrating that I have to do that instead at all of it just working. And I guarantee that the whole problem would be fixed if LaTeX just had namespacing so that packages wouldn't define conflicting macros, but it doesn't so this sort of thing happens all the time.

(LaTeX is technically a programming language so this post is technically on topic. I'd post it to the grad students thread or the LaTeX thread but people are way too serious there)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i havent done latex in a while but when i was in grad school if i needed a chart i would make it as an svg with a more reasonable program and then include it as a pic in the latex doc