Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Anyone have any experience in getting the date of an EX pass raid changed? I am out of town when mine is scheduled :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
God drat it

There's a gym right outside my office and its always held by Valour. I managed to grab it before I went home on night shift, putting my nearly 3k Snorlax in and someone else popped a Tangela in.

I get home and my Snorlax has been kicked out of the gym. It happens every loving time. Who the gently caress is there at 6:30am???

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Lucky Pokemon are available now. We did trades of some of our oldest (abiut 18 months) and got luckies both times.

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Anyone have any experience in getting the date of an EX pass raid changed? I am out of town when mine is scheduled :(

You're SOL unless you have someone trusted available to go do the raid for you

SirBukkake
Aug 24, 2006
Idk some black dude
Got my first Lucky Pokemon! Just wanted to see if trading some 2017 mons would trigger it, and welp:

IV's are poo poo though.

Since this update, I was able to easily define who's Local, Friend and/or Goon in the friend list. I'm now ready to give more goons more Pampered Pups! (added information to the Google Doc)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Boywunda posted:

They've done a number of "increased XP" for specific things like catch and hatch, that makes me and a bunch of my friends all believe that double XP for evolve sprees is over.

A coworker of mine heard somewhere (probably Reddit or something so nothing confirmed) that Niantic no longer wants people to do mass evolves with double XPs as it goes against the spirit of the game where you're supposed to go out and catch stuff, while working with others. Not be a shut in nerd with 3 phones mass evolving as many as you can in 30 minutes.

In theory, it makes sense.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

AzureSkye posted:

You're SOL unless you have someone trusted available to go do the raid for you

drat it. Well, if anyone lives near Grapevine Texas and wants to take my burner Facebook account and run the raid for me I'll buy you plat or something.

It's August 3rd at noon, Grapevine Mills mall

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Do you get the XP bonus for friendship level when they open the gift you sent, or when you open the gift they sent you? Can you get a bunch of people to just one day away, then not open their gifts till you pop an egg?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

seiferguy posted:

well except for the hour long lucky eggs recently :v:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Big McHuge posted:

Do you get the XP bonus for friendship level when they open the gift you sent, or when you open the gift they sent you? Can you get a bunch of people to just one day away, then not open their gifts till you pop an egg?

It's whenever the little message ticks on the top of the screen. So you can log in , pop a lucky egg on day 7, hope for the best on people already having hit great friends,and then send and accept as much as you can

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Psion posted:

well except for the hour long lucky eggs recently :v:

Hour long eggs made for great raid trains!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

seiferguy posted:

A coworker of mine heard somewhere (probably Reddit or something so nothing confirmed) that Niantic no longer wants people to do mass evolves with double XPs as it goes against the spirit of the game where you're supposed to go out and catch stuff, while working with others. Not be a shut in nerd with 3 phones mass evolving as many as you can in 30 minutes.

In a way this is a relief, because it means I don't have to waste tons of storage space on 12-candy trash for evolving sprees. I can just evolve stuff whenever, knowing I'm not missing out on any double EXP events.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

tbh the experience from evolving, even with a lucky egg, is pretty poo poo. Once I hit level 25, a full 50-60 evolves with an egg raised my experience bar by like 1/4. I'm almost level 30 and based on how fast the xp requirements go up, I'm guessing it would be borderline unnoticeable soon. Better off just adding tons of friends and grinding out friend levels, it seems. Which is a weird design choice, but :shrug:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'm convinced as soon as I evolve my pidgey farm they'll release celebi and that'll require 50 evolves.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

tbh the experience from evolving, even with a lucky egg, is pretty poo poo. Once I hit level 25, a full 50-60 evolves with an egg raised my experience bar by like 1/4. I'm almost level 30 and based on how fast the xp requirements go up, I'm guessing it would be borderline unnoticeable soon. Better off just adding tons of friends and grinding out friend levels, it seems. Which is a weird design choice, but :shrug:

Every single xp point counts.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

seiferguy posted:

I heard the same. I save around 300-500 evolves though, just in case. But still do some 2 device mass evolve sessions on the couch watching TV.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

Every single xp point counts.

Yeah, that's my reasoning. I may as well evolve the trash I collect with my Go-tcha.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Robokomodo posted:

Get yourself a gotcha. You never know!

How can you see a ditto, but not catch it? I'm pretty sure gyms don't count, right?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Mass evolving is also one of the most boring things to do in the game. Even if it's one of the more effective ways to get experience, I would rather spend my time doing something else.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

what i want to know is where the gently caress bagon spawn, i've only ever hatched one and seen none in the wild.

Bagon is like Dratini for landlocked people, but because land is pretty far and wide between, probably a lot rarer spawn rate than a Dratini at a water biome. You just kinda bump into Bagon randomly.

fyallm posted:

Is there an updated newbie guide for someone lvl 23? ha

All I can say is try to find your local town's group. Whether that's a Facebook group or a Discord server, anything helps if you can coordinate raids. Most people should be friendly enough to let you join raids unless your town's super cliquey or just full of douchebags. If you're able to use your daily free raid pass and complete a legendary raid most of the time, that's the best way to go imo. Legendary raids give you 10,000 exp just for finishing, and successfully catching legendary Pokemon will build you a decent army of attackers even if you haven't found/evolved some of the more useful Pokemon. A lot of people are usually still interested in raiding Machamp or Tyranitar if they're in the rotation because they tend to be very useful Pokemon in the current meta.

A slower and longer way to get exp is mass evolving Pokemon with the lowest candy cost, like Pidgey. Save to around 700-800 Pidgey candy, save around 60-70 actual Pidgey, then pop a lucky egg and evolve as many as you can in those 30 minutes. Best is if there's some event that gives double exp and then you do this to get 4x the exp. I would suggest always keeping this in mind no matter what you're doing when playing the game, and constantly catching Pidgey for this purpose.

X13Fen posted:

I get home and my Snorlax has been kicked out of the gym. It happens every loving time. Who the gently caress is there at 6:30am???

Spoofers.

I mean, don't underestimate people's weird schedules though. Some people might just routinely clean out and place their Pokemon in a close by gym when they walk their dog in the morning or something. 6:30am isn't that unbelievable.

What's more unbelievable is when I drive out to a gym in the boonies by a country highway, see that it's guarded by one account named TakinSpace420, put my 3000+ Blissey in there, and one hour later at midnight I'm golden razzberry battling it as it comes down consistently with no problem. It just sucks because I was left alone for a good two weeks and getting close to gold status when this person started spoofing by taking it from me 10 minutes after I put it in there. It corroborates with people from the smaller neighboring town saying it's impossible for them to take gyms because one spoofer dominates the entire place and reporting them hasn't helped.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

seiferguy posted:

Mass evolving is also one of the most boring things to do in the game. Even if it's one of the more effective ways to get experience, I would rather spend my time doing something else.

My man

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah once you hit 30 there's no reason to ever do a mass evolve again. Save lucky eggs for community days or raid trains

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

NZAmoeba posted:

How can you see a ditto, but not catch it? I'm pretty sure gyms don't count, right?

They count for 1 total. Those are gotcha attempts, meaning I missed the Pidgey or rat or whatever

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I retake the gym about 0.5km from my house every day after work. I get there about 0130am...

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Sorry what is this Gotcha thing? Looking it up it seems to be a wristband that auto-catch pokemon? What is the deal with it? It doesn't look to be an official thing? Does it just waste pokeballs till it catches it eventually (or doesn't or runs out)?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

How much XP does becoming Ultra Friends give? Is it worth going Cool Hand Luke on an egg for a single person?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Macaluso posted:

Sorry what is this Gotcha thing? Looking it up it seems to be a wristband that auto-catch pokemon? What is the deal with it? It doesn't look to be an official thing? Does it just waste pokeballs till it catches it eventually (or doesn't or runs out)?

It's like an automatic Go band. It will throw one red pokeball and you either catch it or don't, automatically if you go with that setting. It'll also spin stops automatically. It's not official but uses the same type of firmware(?) as the real one so you probably won't get banned. It's really good and makes the game more fun imo.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Robokomodo posted:

They count for 1 total. Those are gotcha attempts, meaning I missed the Pidgey or rat or whatever

But you can't tell if that rat that ran away was a ditto until you successfully catch it? My pokedex shows a perfect ditto catch rate.

Balk
Oct 15, 2011
I kept getting bounced from the gym closest to home after about 15 minutes when I took it in the afternoon/evening, so I started kicking over gyms between 6:00 and 6:30 on my way to work. It helped; I usually stick around for a couple hours that way.

What’s the longest you all have managed to keep something in a gym?
My best is 1 day 4 hours (and counting) at a gym on a forest trail. The guy who took it has been there almost 6 days.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Balk posted:

I kept getting bounced from the gym closest to home after about 15 minutes when I took it in the afternoon/evening, so I started kicking over gyms between 6:00 and 6:30 on my way to work. It helped; I usually stick around for a couple hours that way.

My best is 1 day 4 hours (and counting) at a gym on a forest trail. The guy who took it has been there almost 6 days.

Went on vacation and forgot I left a poke in this gym. There was a goon earlier that had 100+ days on some gym in east Europe where no one plays.

Everybody’s somebody in...

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Balk posted:

I'm on day 3 with my Blastoise. I'm surprised.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Balk posted:

I stopped at a hick rear end bbq once

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah once you hit 30 there's no reason to ever do a mass evolve again. Save lucky eggs for community days or raid trains

I've got 56 of the buggers.

And I've got to catch up with my wife.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Consummate Professional posted:

It's like an automatic Go band. It will throw one red pokeball and you either catch it or don't, automatically if you go with that setting. It'll also spin stops automatically. It's not official but uses the same type of firmware(?) as the real one so you probably won't get banned. It's really good and makes the game more fun imo.

Another huge advantage is that you don't need to keep your screen open to track egg/buddy distance. Saw someone mentioning phone battery life problems earlier and its great for that.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Spent 15 days in a gym once. It was in a lovely cell spot.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 26, 2018

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Balk posted:

Somebody made a new gym in an old coal patch town about about 15 min from my Pittsburgh suburb and my Sceptile sat in it for 51 days before he got tossed. I didn't see when he came back but when I checked my news feed I found he didn't bring any coins with him.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Away all Goats posted:

keep your screen open to track egg/buddy distance.

why does pogo need this? im pretty sure my google maps keeps track of my position just fine when i lock it

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Balk posted:

Probably 3 weeks at an out of the way church, back before the gym revamp.

Post-revamp, I don't think I've gone over 3 days in a row at any gym.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Last year in Queenstown I had a mon at a real out-of-the-way gym for like three weeks.

This was post-change so I got 50 coins from that LOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Kly posted:

why does pogo need this? im pretty sure my google maps keeps track of my position just fine when i lock it

My personal theory is that its just a ploy to sell pluses (and gotchas, which I'm pretty sure are just modified pluses so Niantic still profits from them in the end). You're right though, most fitness tracker apps work with the screen off and are insanely more accurate at tracking distance.

• Locked thread