Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I like the overall look of the MUTOs but I do agree they could've used a little splash of color. Not anything too vivid, just something to at least mix up the color palette a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Basebf555 posted:

I like the overall look of the MUTOs but I do agree they could've used a little splash of color. Not anything too vivid, just something to at least mix up the color palette a little bit.

There's concept art of them that gives them bright red lines across their bodies, probably meant to be bioluminescence of some kind. Might have worked.

Thinking about the possibility of a Legendary version of Hedorah, I'm sad that the most obvious direction to go is impossible because China market - if you've seen pictures of the smog in Beijing, that place would be goddamn paradise for Hedorah.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Too many modern monster designs are dark and grey. I'd love to see something with the bright color scheme of a poisonous insect or reptile - still evoking danger but in a different manner.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I'd love to see some kind of giant monster with zebra/yellow jacket/tigerfish coloration running amok like a ship with dazzle camouflage attacked a city

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Even Pacific Rim of all movies ended up going with a fairly generic one-note design for the kaiju. I suppose the idea there was that the jaeger's were supposed to be the real draw and more colorful kaiju would've made for too much flashing on the screen at once.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

Even Pacific Rim of all movies ended up going with a fairly generic one-note design for the kaiju. I suppose the idea there was that the jaeger's were supposed to be the real draw and more colorful kaiju would've made for too much flashing on the screen at once.

Kaiju were also being built by the same entity so they couldn’t have been that much different.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I agree that the MUTOs could have used some color. The male has a cool striped pattern but you only see it during the brief threat display at the airport. Their powers, sounds and way of moving made them almost cybernetic which I thought was cool.

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
Shin-Godzilla chat: in the final part of the movie the scientist played by Shinya Tsukamoto mentions that he believes Shin-Godzilla is capable of evolving a "flying form" to travel across the globe. Combined with Shin Godzilla's final images, I've kinda interpreted this to mean that potential sequels could introduce creatures that "bud" from the main Godzilla body, evolving into familiar monsters like Ghidora, Gigan, what have you. It's dumb but at least it's different. I'd also be happy with just another film with a constantly evolving Godzilla transforming in to greater and more grotesque perversions of the iconic Godzilla design.

I'm kinda disappointed Toho is so eager to jump back in to Godzilla films without Anno directing. I loved Godzilla films as a kid, but I didn't discover I could have a passion for them as an adult until the Criterion Blu-Ray release of the original. The original and Shin are easily my favorites; they just hit all the right buttons for me and really spark my imagination. I also have a soft spot for Hedorah and Godzilla's Revenge, but I'm getting off topic. I'm really intrigued by what further craziness Anno could bring to Godzilla, and to have Toho go off and make a new Godzilla series just to compete with Legendary just screams of desperation to me.

I guess more Godzilla can't be a bad thing, but I don't expect the quality we had with Shin. Shinji Higuchi would probably end up working on them and he's pretty ace in my book.

Godzilla King of the Monsters chat: trailer is awesome. I was luke-warm to Godzilla 2014 but there's no way I could miss seeing this on the big screen.

If I could ask for just one thing to include in this film, it would be a brief cameo of Hedorah to honor Yoshimitsu Banno's passing. Even if he just ends up getting wrecked like he did in Final Wars. That would be perfect.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Not sure if this has been mentioned, and could be bullshit obviously, but there's a theory going around that Charles Dance is playing Tom Hiddlestons character from Skull Island

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The thing is that before the '70s, most kaiju are pretty simplistic, muted color schemes: Godzilla, Anguirus, Varan, Baragon, Kumonga, Kamacuras, Ebirah, Barugon, Gyaos, Viras, Jiger. More vibrant characters required a certain specific motivation of what the character represents, but even Mothra has this kind of muted, elderly quality to her before the '90s.

I think the MUTOs get by on just lookin' original in a series of films where what's actually been done to death is just who have this cosmetically vibrant look but where they're physically indistinct. Like, it's remarkable how much from a design standpoint Toho ended up banking on, like, big purple shoulder guns or big red/crystal spikes all over, or vestigial mandible teeth, it's so god drat lame and stiff-plastic.

Now even with their adaptations of established Toho properties, the design team are still killing it. Okay, Rodan is associated with volcanos? Boom: Flying volcano. Mothra is a being of light? Boom: luminescent goddess instead of just various hairy striations of yellow, orange, and brown. The most traditional-looking of all so far is Ghidorah, which, complementing Godzilla, just speaks to how much of a no-brainer that original design still is. It stands in for so much whereas I believe with the MUTOs, Rodan, and Mothra, they're really trying to take elements of what has already been in giant monster movies and put a more ambitious spin on them because of the resources at their disposal.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Not sure if this has been mentioned, and could be bullshit obviously, but there's a theory going around that Charles Dance is playing Tom Hiddlestons character from Skull Island

That would be amazing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That would be amazing.

I’m both glad I read it and mad I read it.

I need to start staying away from this thread until the movie gets here but it’s so loving far away.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Phi230 posted:

I can see it now

"Gentlemen, we've something to show you"

Walk into a giant factory floor and spotlights come on, and it's a giant Jet Jaguar. Exact same costume. He gives a thumbs up to the camera

You can't just introduce Jet Jaguar at kaiju size. It's integral to his character that he reprogram himself to grow larger.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It should be Jet Jaeger, and spawn a Godzilla vs Pacific Rim crossover.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

But will have his theme song!?

The answer is yes

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

But will have his theme song!?

The answer is yes

But who will do the slowdown, darkwave cover?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I know the thread has already gone over how Hideaki Anno isn't likely to be doing another Godzilla movie, but he'd absolutely be the right director to bring back Jet Jaguar.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The world would have been a better place if Eva never happened.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Anno should pass the Eva baton to someone else. Like...Hideo Kojima or Michael Bay or Matt Groening...possibly Jhonen Vasquez. Let Anno move on.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The world would have been a better place if Eva never happened.

:wrong:

Gatts posted:

Anno should pass the Eva baton to someone else. Like...Hideo Kojima or Michael Bay or Matt Groening...possibly Jhonen Vasquez. Let Anno move on.

The only Eva works I'm aware of that didn't involve Anno are garbage, so no, probably not.

(Mostly thinking of the manga.)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Gatts posted:

the micheal bay eva replaces the angels explosions in the shape of a cross to explosions shaped like an american flag

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

:wrong:

The only Eva works I'm aware of that didn't involve Anno are garbage, so no, probably not.

(Mostly thinking of the manga.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Three of the four people he named make good movies / television, that doesn't really scan like humor to me.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I missed Michael Bay in there. Thought it was a joke about the Simpsons post Groening stepping away, and Metal Gear after Kojima left.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xguard86 posted:

I actually liked that it was very uprite and architectural in it's final form. Gave Godzilla a kind of unnatural menace. To me, the stiffness plus the hands give off this feeling that existing is painful for him. The lower forms feel that way too but in a more spazzy way. maybe there's something there about shin Godzilla's nature.

Also noticed how much he moved when raging out at being actually hurt to then freezing solid to recover. Like an earthquake or something.

Still can't see him holding down a muto and blasting off it's face.

I liked it too, I mean it was obviously a budget limitation but it was used to the advantage of the movie making him such a monumental thing. But it still stands out a little bit compared to how dense the tadpole form is and the little details in its movement and how gross it was. Holy poo poo that thing was amazing.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

So what was posted earlier, from the co-director of Shin, was wrong?

Yes or at least translated really poorly, “because of the partnership” is because Toho handles Japanese distribution for the Legendary movies and, uh, 2019 and 2020 are King of the Monsters and Kong vs. Godzilla, which is the reasoning why they aren’t putting out their own Godzilla in either of those years. So “we can’t do anything until 2021” is more “that’s the first year there isn’t a Godzilla movie that the studio is distributing.”

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Terrible Opinions posted:

I missed Michael Bay in there. Thought it was a joke about the Simpsons post Groening stepping away, and Metal Gear after Kojima left.

But isn't Bay stepping away from Transformers? Didn't Zim suck once Vazquez was gone?

(I totally wasn't going for that but sure! It was mostly thinking of dudes who are good at picking apart the pulse of culture.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I'd watch Michael Bay Evangelion but, I mean, he already made a series of films about an alienated young man who has a giant robot as a surrogate parent, whose suffering and warped personality reflect the toxic mess the previous generation made of his home country. It's just not about Japan. :v:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Michael Bay could make the poo poo out of a Jet Jaguar movie.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

http://jimpluff.tumblr.com/post/158443605706/this-just-in-from-the-godzilla-store

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I know everyone wants a rework of the classic Mothra theme, but I'd love it if this made it in as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfeC-w7SUbM&t=1720s

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Zack Snyder is the only man working in Hollywood I'd trust with an Evangelion film.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I'd never trust anyone in Hollywood with an Eva movie.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
A24 studio challenge for EVA. Directed by Sam Raimi ft. Bruce Campbell.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Arcsquad12 posted:

It should be Jet Jaeger, and spawn a Godzilla vs Pacific Rim crossover.

Nerd alert but I remember sitting in Pacific rim and wishing so hard there was some kind of secret Godzilla tie-in because watching a giant monster movie with modern effects made me so nostalgic for being a kid and looking past bad fx to cheer for Godzilla to save the day. Pacific Rim was cool enough but I was too old to really feel that emotional connection.

Shin Godzilla was good but I think Godzilla as disinterested yet heroic is the best place for the character. Godzilla 2014 wasn't perfect but I was a grown rear end man that almost jumped out of my chair when those back scales lit up.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Zack Snyder is the only man working in Hollywood I'd trust with an Evangelion film.

nah, honestly Snyder is too heavy-handed and operatic and... broad for it to work. I like the guy a lot but he's a bad fit for every part of Eva that isn't kaiju and pseudo-mecha throwing down.

Denis Villenueve would loving nail the psychological stuff, but I'm not sure how well he'd do with kaiju fights- Sicario had loving amazing action, but Blade Runner 2049 felt kinda anemic, but neither of those are the same thing as kaiju movies.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Give Evangelion to von Trier

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Gareth Edwards' Evangelion

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Panos Cosmatos' Devilman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q38rI-t4o2A

I really like Godzilla 14. Take a look at some closer ups of Godzilla's face animations especially at the end of the clip. There's more there going on under the surface, like recognition or some kind of warmth.

Godzilla as a cranky old anti-hero is a solid version imo.