Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

Can a whole channel age poorly?

Bravo in the 90s was great and now I don't even know what they are.

The Learning Channel

The History Channel

A&E

The Sci Fi Channel

USA

All cable channels tend toward entropy as they chase larger numbers by watering down whatever their original niche was.

The opposite has only happened the one time when TNN discovered that Dukes of Hazard was their highest rated show and pivoted to being purely 70s-80s pop culture trash overnight.

Also the Discovery Channel subchannel that was supposed to be about living green turned into a true crime channel by means of a similar process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

burial posted:

Oh man, that was the best. What channel was it even on?

I don't remember!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The thing is, some time in the very early 00s or so, the entire family of Discovery Channel's properties (and it's a lot, most channels that would appear to be non-fiction programming in the 90s and earlier) got the same overhaul after a new higher up was put in place, where he clearly wasn't interested in being in charge of TV's main source of educational programming aside from PBS. Plus it turns out all the trashy reality shows are A. cheap, and B. easy for audience to binge on, which equals free ratings. And here we are, dumber for it all.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

tactlessbastard posted:

I don't remember!

According to Google, it was TBS. That never would’ve been my guess.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

business hammocks posted:

The Learning Channel

The History Channel

A&E

The Sci Fi Channel

USA

All cable channels tend toward entropy as they chase larger numbers by watering down whatever their original niche was.

The opposite has only happened the one time when TNN discovered that Dukes of Hazard was their highest rated show and pivoted to being purely 70s-80s pop culture trash overnight.

Also the Discovery Channel subchannel that was supposed to be about living green turned into a true crime channel by means of a similar process.

Cartoon Network famously TRIED to abandon their niche for lovely reality TV, and it failed so hard even after they'd burnt all their bridges and chased off all their talent they spend the next decade having to rebuild from scratch.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I love History channel for bringing us Vikings. I don't watch anything else on the channel though.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Forged in Fire is one of my guilty pleasures because I like looking at pretty blades :shobon:.

I also think ancient aliens is one of the funniest shows ever made, and I've used that, alien conspiracy shows and general conspiracy shows to make a crazy modern day RPG once.

It's me, I'm the problem :negative:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That made me think of that YouTube channel where they make swords, I mostly remember since they made Rose Quartz's sword from Steven Universe. That was pretty funny.

There are a few cases that come to mind, mostly Cartoon Network and Konami, of companies that basically try to burn down their existing business model and chase off their talent and fanbase to trade up to what they think will be a more desirable audience, only to have to come crawling back when it doesn't work out because the market is already oversaturated and their name recognition meant nothing.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

tactlessbastard posted:

My siblings and I loved 7 days of 007

burial posted:

According to Google, it was TBS. That never would’ve been my guess.

Forget the 7 days of Bond, in the late 90s/early 00s there was a cable station that played them nonstop from Thanksgiving through Christmas. They'd air the all the Eon movies through License to Kill (Plus Never Say Never Again) in no particular order practically 24 hours a day (Some years/channels had paid programming from like 3-5 AM) and it was awesome. My memory is that it was TNN (Who did air them around 2002/3, switching to MXC in the early AM, before it changed over to Spike) but some Google'in tells me it might have been USA or TNT prior to that.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The Learning Channel

The History Channel

A&E

The Sci Fi Channel

USA

G4. :allears:

Going from a channel based on video game related shows to 'nothing but COPS and Star Trek re-runs' was a weird outcome that I didn't see coming.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That made me think of that YouTube channel where they make swords, I mostly remember since they made Rose Quartz's sword from Steven Universe. That was pretty funny.

There are a few cases that come to mind, mostly Cartoon Network and Konami, of companies that basically try to burn down their existing business model and chase off their talent and fanbase to trade up to what they think will be a more desirable audience, only to have to come crawling back when it doesn't work out because the market is already oversaturated and their name recognition meant nothing.

I don’t remember this, can someone provide a few examples of shows that came about during this era?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Don Gato posted:

Death's Head Revisited, where the former commandant of Dachau goes back to the camp and is judged by all the people he killed is amazing and one of the best episodes of TZ. Also holy poo poo that was made less than 20 years after WWII, it's like the opposite of aging poorly

Conversely two episodes later is a goddamn Honrable Confederacy apologia

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ariong posted:

I don’t remember this, can someone provide a few examples of shows that came about during this era?

They died so fast it's hard to recall. Tower Prep, Destroy Build Destroy... CNReal is a punchline for a reason.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Meanwhile TBS these days seems to air nothing but Big Bang Theory. How in the world that show gets four hours a day of airing on that channel.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rirse posted:

Meanwhile TBS these days seems to air nothing but Big Bang Theory. How in the world that show gets four hours a day of airing on that channel.

That's the new direction for cable ever since Nick became The Spongebob Channel.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kids don’t watch tv seems to be most of it. Thanks to tablets and streaming they don’t really understand the concept of television as a set schedule run independently of the attention of the viewer, so all the kid channels are getting into on-demand in a big way and just cramming the daily schedule with whatever’s popular.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kids don’t watch tv seems to be most of it. Thanks to tablets and streaming they don’t really understand the concept of television as a set schedule run independently of the attention of the viewer, so all the kid channels are getting into on-demand in a big way and just cramming the daily schedule with whatever’s popular.

Stan Kelly will tell us the truth:

(I love Kelly.)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Rirse posted:

Well they had to put something on the air after they stopped showing Wings...

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They died so fast it's hard to recall. Tower Prep, Destroy Build Destroy... CNReal is a punchline for a reason.

Didn't they have one that was hosted by Andrew WK, too?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
At least we'll always have the Food Network. Want to watch a pompous chef get what he/she deserves? Chopped's on 5 times a day.

I have no idea if cooking shows age poorly or not. People's tastes change so much over time, it'd probably be painful to go back to the 1990's and watch chefs go gaga over tiramisu and red velvet cupcakes.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think they’re more like interesting time capsules. I still find Julia Child videos interesting to see how much some cooking techniques have changed and how many are practically the same

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Since we were discussing King, Salem's Lot aired in like 77 or so and holds up really damned well, especially for a made for TV movie.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's the new direction for cable ever since Nick became The Spongebob Channel.

Ugh, I never liked Spongebob, and it would always weird me out when I was 19 or so and people my age were very much into Spongebob. It especially pisses me off, because Nickelodeon would claim that they capped their series at 3 seasons when they cancelled Pete and Pete.

gently caress Spongebob right in his square pants.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I have no idea if cooking shows age poorly or not. People's tastes change so much over time, it'd probably be painful to go back to the 1990's and watch chefs go gaga over tiramisu and red velvet cupcakes.

If you're not going gaga for either of those you've got problems.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Ugh, I never liked Spongebob, and it would always weird me out when I was 19 or so and people my age were very much into Spongebob. It especially pisses me off, because Nickelodeon would claim that they capped their series at 3 seasons when they cancelled Pete and Pete.

I’ve had friends my age act legitimately insulted when I’ve said I’d seen a few episodes when it first came out and don’t really have an interest in it

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Rirse posted:

TBS aired a lot of documentaries in the 1980s. In addition to the Atlanta Braves baseball and pro wrestling.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
TBS used to show a lot of Seinfeld, Friends, and BBT then a lot of Friends and BBT and now just a lot of BBT. Shame too since they picked up Brooklyn 99 repeats at the beginning of the year.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
TBS still has like 3+ hours of Seinfeld nearly every day that they’ve had for the last 15 years, it’s just split between like one at 10 AM and one at like 7 PM, rather than being all at once in the evening. I think they also still do a ton of Married... With Children in the early morning too.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Well the thing is that SpongeBob is loving hilarious

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

purple death ray posted:

Well the thing is that SpongeBob is loving hilarious

*first 3 seasons

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Aesop Poprock posted:

I’ve had friends my age act legitimately insulted when I’ve said I’d seen a few episodes when it first came out and don’t really have an interest in it

I make this face usually :whitewater:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

If you're not going gaga for either of those you've got problems.

Might I interest you in some truffle oil? A cronut? Maybe an open floorplan...no wait, I've cross pollinated HGTV.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

Might I interest you in some truffle oil? A cronut? Maybe an open floorplan...no wait, I've cross pollinated HGTV.

I will take your offer of a cronut

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I kinda miss the era of unexplored wild frontiers. I feel like Adult Swim is one of the last channels really trying to keep up the weird, surreal feeling of watching something that you've never seen before (Eric Andre/Infomercials style Adult Swim, not Rick and Morty/Family Guy Adult Swim).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Neito posted:

I kinda miss the era of unexplored wild frontiers. I feel like Adult Swim is one of the last channels really trying to keep up the weird, surreal feeling of watching something that you've never seen before (Eric Andre/Infomercials style Adult Swim, not Rick and Morty/Family Guy Adult Swim).

Definitely check out the currently burgeoning world of digital substations. Joe Bob Briggs just got a show on the streaming service Shudder (not a cable channel, I know).

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's only a matter of time before every renovation on HGTV is going to start with someone saying 'and we'll put a wall up here, and a wall up here....'

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Neito posted:

That really is the same thing I miss about the internet before the iPhone was invented.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Youtube used to be way weirder but now it's all homogenized because people started making a ton of money

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

tactlessbastard posted:

It's only a matter of time before every renovation on HGTV is going to start with someone saying 'and we'll put a wall up here, and a wall up here....'

The Atlantic had a good article about all those loving open floorplans.

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2018/05/the-curse-of-an-open-floor-plan/560561/

But yeah, open floorplans were the hottest new trend in 1901. Everything is recycled. Really can't wait for wood paneling to get into style again.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Learning Channel

The History Channel

A&E

The Sci Fi Channel

USA

I used to love A&E. OG Law and Order, American Justice, The Equalizer, Hercule Poirot and motherfuckin Columbo.

Now it's mostly reality shows and such. Canada had a channel where I saw Terry Gilliams Brazil for the first time, called Showcase. It was a fun channel that aired a lot of weird stuff, and some great movies, now its summer blockbusters and mediocre network sci fi. Before that, it was like 70% of their programming was Trailer Park Boys, because it was a homegrown runaway success.

The Learning Channel may as well change their name to The Voyeur Channel, these days.

El Gallinero Gros has a new favorite as of 17:54 on Jul 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm kinda glad I cut the cord in 2006, I don't have memories of those transitions.

The History Channel was still showing WWII documentaries 22 hours a day back then. The next time I saw it was two years later, and there was some show about cryptozoology, it was a different channel, and because I missed the transition I can't be completely sad about it.