Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/ktsharp/status/1021930082087186432

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

ihatepants posted:

https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/1021923785291780097
https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/1021924706289692673

Yankees have a huge 40 man roster crunch coming again this offseason. They needed to trade away some of their surplus of prospects. Adams, Holder, Sheffield need to be added in addition to these three that were traded.

This is a fair point that I was not thinking about.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
30 Doubles for Andujar.

Man did they need this start from Tanaka.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 25, 2018

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

if Tanaka can pitch like this then they don't really need another starter

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

if Tanaka can pitch like this then they don't really need another starter

They still do. Have you checked who's pitching tomorrow?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I don't even care I will always love Masahiro and he deserves a gold glove.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If Baltimore loses this game to Boston because they don't have Britton to close it....

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Traded three likely Rule 5 casualties for another solid lefty, I'm into it.

Nope. Tate is a legit prospect although who knows. Carroll is a solid reliever type, but the Yankees have fifty million of those.

I think it's a good haul for the Orioles. I don't really see the need for Britton besides blocking other teams from getting him.

edit: if anything, we'll be saved by Boston's lineup being crap 5-9.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

Nope. Tate is a legit prospect although who knows. Carroll is a solid reliever type, but the Yankees have fifty million of those.

I think it's a good haul for the Orioles. I don't really see the need for Britton besides blocking other teams from getting him.

edit: if anything, we'll be saved by Boston's lineup being crap 5-9.

Betts game ending DP. Lucky us.

Tate wasn't a guy who was going to be a pitcher for the Yankees. They will be filling up the rotation in Free Agency.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
There's value in a lower end starter who gets Ks, or a power reliever. Now in terms of chips they don't REALLY care about but who have MLB talent who are left, there's Adams, who's lost it this year. Abreu, another live arm type. And Lasagna, who is a ticking time bomb, so you get what you can out of him before he's out of baseball. I think it's stupid to give away those guys for free, but I will throw a fit if anyone better (read: Sheffield) is traded for a mediocre veteran starter.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kim Jong Il posted:

I like Tate, me saying he would probably be a Rule 5 decision is more a statement on the Yankees system than his abilities.

Also the scouting projections are saying bulpen for him now, I think he just lost too much time between Texas trying to change his delivery and the injuries.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

https://twitter.com/_dadler/status/1021774757375688705

Only like 7IP, but it's still something.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I don't think Sheffield goes anywhere this deadline simply because there's no one good enough to justify dealing for him (that we know of)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If they were so high oh Sheffield he would've probably been in the majors by now. They have already brought up 3 guys to make starts in front of him this season who are supposed to not be as good prospects as he is...

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mcmagic posted:

If they were so high oh Sheffield he would've probably been in the majors by now. They have already brought up 3 guys to make starts in front of him this season who are supposed to not be as good prospects as he is...

Sheffield can have a higher ceiling than guys who get called up before him and still not be ready yet. Unless you think guys like Keith Law and every other prospect ranker are also too high on him.

Also adding him to the 40-man for a spot start would be dumb.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Sheffield can have a higher ceiling than guys who get called up before him and still not be ready yet. Unless you think guys like Keith Law and every other prospect ranker are also too high on him.

Also adding him to the 40-man for a spot start would be dumb.

It’s not really a spot start. The 5th starter is pretty wide open if someone came up from the minors and pitched well enough to win the job.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mcmagic posted:

It’s not really a spot start. The 5th starter is pretty wide open if someone came up from the minors and pitched well enough to win the job.

We'll see what happens after the deadline I guess.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/GaryHPhillips/status/1021965514531328001

That went a lot faster and more smoothly than I was expecting, considering it was the O's

yankeehomo
Jul 20, 2018
Fair trade imo. Three months of Brit for three rule 5 picks. You gotta give to get in this league. I think Tate is a good enough headliner, and the O's will probably be able to keep him. Yankees get a Kahnle replacement to shorten the game because the SP market is dead.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Stop loving hitting Didi 3rd.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

yankees going to do the weird bullpen thing that the Rays did in the playoffs and its going to own

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Boone has been absolutely brutal this series.

Apparently the way to shut this "great" lineup down is a parade of RP's with 4 ERAs that they just embarrass themselves against. That's nice when you're in a pennant race.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 25, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Well I guess it's time to flip Britton and start fielding offers for Judge and Torres.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

6 games in a row at home against teams that are 31-70 and 29-73 before Boston... They have to win AT LEAST 5 of those 6 games.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The team that’s on pace to win 104 games is actually bad guys, slumps in July are insurmountable and there’s no hope

Why even bother saying you’re a fan when all you do is whine incessantly

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Carlosologist posted:

The team that’s on pace to win 104 games is actually bad guys, slumps in July are insurmountable and there’s no hope

If you look at how Boston started the season 17-2 and had an insurmountable five game lead, you'll see this whole season was a write off as of April 20th. Furthermore life is pain and all we have to look forward to is death. Eat Arby's.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

If they were bad, making GBS threads the bed against bad teams wouldn't actually be a big deal. They lost the division last year because of the same thing and not having home field literally cost them the world series so...

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 26, 2018

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/1022314066457632768?s=20

I would be pretty upset if they decide to trade 4 years of Drury for 3 months of Happ. As much as the team needs pitching, I’d rather they just go with internal options if there’s really no one better available.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ihatepants posted:

https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/1022314066457632768?s=20

I would be pretty upset if they decide to trade 4 years of Drury for 3 months of Happ. As much as the team needs pitching, I’d rather they just go with internal options if there’s really no one better available.

Drury isn’t going to play here for the next 4 years and if he’s doesn’t play his value isn’t going to go up.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Drury isn’t going to play here for the next 4 years and if he’s doesn’t play his value isn’t going to go up.

I don’t mind trading him. Just not for a guy who sucks and will be gone in a few months.

Edit:
I think a lot of it is just that I really dislike Happ. He's given up 27 runs in his last 31 innings and is 36 years old. He's trending the wrong way. Sucks that there really is no good pitching on the market.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jul 26, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Happ is probably better than his most recent starts but even then he's not that good. I'd also rather hang on to Drury and promote Sheff or something.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1022513972275277825

YUCK

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1022541583139389440?s=20

Rumor is that it’ll be Drury, McKinney and Swanson for Happ, which seems like a huge overpay.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ihatepants posted:

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1022541583139389440?s=20

Rumor is that it’ll be Drury, McKinney and Swanson for Happ, which seems like a huge overpay.

Yeah I don't like that cost at all.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah I don't like that cost at all.

That might not be the cost in the end because it’s mostly just rumors right now. All we know is that Drury will likely be the headliner. I think people were guessing McKinney and Swanson as secondary pieces because they got scratched from today’s games. Still, I don’t like how it’s Drury ++

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ihatepants posted:

That might not be the cost in the end because it’s mostly just rumors right now. All we know is that Drury will likely be the headliner. I think people were guessing McKinney and Swanson as secondary pieces because they got scratched from today’s games. Still, I don’t like how it’s Drury ++

Yeah for a rental of Happ's caliber it should be one dude from that list.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

apparently it's Drury and McKinney for Happ, which is a completely fair deal. Drury was gonna get no shot to play on the infield but this also might be selling low. McKinney is blocked for sure

moving two guys with no obvious futures makes sense when they're trying to win

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I think a lot of my gut reaction is because I've always liked Drury and he deserved better than what has happened to him this year :(

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
So they gave up Widener and Solak for Drury.

Then gave up Drury and McKinney for Happ.

This trade is ok. I doubt Happ will move the needle that much, and the first time he gets lit up I'm not going to like it, but the dudes in the minors are intended to be spent for help to win it all when the window is open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Happ will probably be better than we think.

• Locked thread