Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Corla Plankun posted:

i havent done latex in a while but when i was in grad school if i needed a chart i would make it as an svg with a more reasonable program and then include it as a pic in the latex doc

I actually have that right now. The issue is that the fonts don't match, and one of the co-authors mentioned it in review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I have 2 friends who loving love LaTex and 1 who has that opinion (it sucks / is janky / causes workflow issues). Is there a Goon consensus on that because I have been using the 1 friend + laziness as an excuse not to go there.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it really loving sucks

but it's still better than all the other options for what it does

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

pangstrom posted:

I have 2 friends who loving love LaTex and 1 who has that opinion (it sucks / is janky / causes workflow issues). Is there a Goon consensus on that because I have been using the 1 friend + laziness as an excuse not to go there.

Last time I checked, the goon consensus was "it's terrible but also better than the other options" (which I would agree with). In a lot of scientific communities you don't really have a choice on whether to use it or not though, so it kind of doesn't matter whether it's good or bad.

Honestly if it just had any sort of macro hygiene it would be loads better. But it doesn't and it's probably too late to add it now.

e: beaten by goon consensus, almost word-for-word

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

pangstrom posted:

How far up the Stallman Graybeard Scale are these two friends?

The results from Latex are fantastic, but it sucks to work with and hasn't really improved in twenty years.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

lmao if you have to use word

it’s so much worse in much different ways

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Actually, because I'm a lazy turd, I usually use a combination of Lyx and one-off scripts for my document-generation needs. I tried to improve my Latex skills years ago, but even the book about it smells like BO and sour milk.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Thanks all.

Peeny Cheez posted:

How far up the Stallman Graybeard Scale are these two friends?

The results from Latex are fantastic, but it sucks to work with and hasn't really improved in twenty years.
They're probably in VikingofRock's "have no choice" segment, I think. Both in academia, one in computational neuroscience and the other in meteorology or climatology or something like that. Neither is hardcore compsci at all, but yeah both using it for 20+ years.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 26, 2018

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
heres a latex protip: use Microsoft word instead

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

that isn't viable for disciplines that use math

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

pangstrom posted:

Thanks all.

They're probably in Viking Rock's "have no choice" segment, I think. Both in academia, one in computational neuroscience and the other in meteorology or climatology or something like that. Neither is hardcore compsci at all, but yeah both using it for 20+ years.
More of a "that dog in the burning kitchen" sort of situation," what with them being in academia and having no other viable alternative.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Does o365 work for collaboration at all

It's kind of astounding that microsofts state of the art way to collaborate on docs is still "email them around"

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
maybe someone could make a language that compiles to latex, except that this new language would be less garbage?

just throwing ideas out there

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
just write some Lisp for processing structured tagged text

then write in that and write something to output LaTeX from it (or even directly output PDF)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Phobeste posted:

It's kind of astounding that microsofts state of the art way to collaborate on docs is still "email them around"

yeah but nobody has it setup right. if users have the ability to save documents locally they will.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Phobeste posted:

for some reason they just can't get people to use the sharepoint/onedrive sharing options. like for excel 2016 they just took out the old shared workbook option (it's still there but you have to manually add it back into the ribbon), but do people want to use the cloud to share their files? no they want to have twenty different copies in a folder on their desktop and everyone gets read/write access to that folder and a shortcut to that file. this one isn't microsoft's fault

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
the default latex font is so loving ugly, and instantly marks its users as being disgusting, aesthetically-inept goonlords

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

redleader posted:

the default latex font is so loving ugly, and instantly marks its users as being disgusting, aesthetically-inept goonlords

just override it to comic sans on system level

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

cinci zoo sniper posted:

just override it to comic sans on system level

i once spent an hour on a friday afternoon coding in papyrus. it was somewhat amusing

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Jabor posted:

it really loving sucks

but it's still better than all the other options for what it does

Also lol no* other choice in academia.

*For simple things you might actually transpile something into LaTeX :shrug:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Xarn posted:

Also lol no* other choice in academia.

*For simple things you might actually transpile something into LaTeX :shrug:

depends on your field

life sciences for instance is firmly ms word land

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

VikingofRock posted:

I actually have that right now. The issue is that the fonts don't match, and one of the co-authors mentioned it in review.

Lol what a li'l bitch

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

c tp s: i really don’t like working with relational data structures in pandas so im now experimenting with local mssql server installation to avoid committing war crimes to our dwh

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

redleader posted:

i once spent an hour on a friday afternoon coding in papyrus. it was somewhat amusing

Ex coworker used to chose in comic sans full time. Idk if he was doing it ironically, or as some kind of counter-culture thing? He said he found it easier to read maybe he just has lovely eyesight

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

cinci zoo sniper posted:

c tp s: i really don’t like working with relational data structures in pandas so im now experimenting with local mssql server installation to avoid committing war crimes to our dwh

Sqlite my friend, its exactly for small local uses like this

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i'm still amazed at how bad pandas seem to be in a load of ways

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

gonadic io posted:

Sqlite my friend, its exactly for small local uses like this

i was just looking for an excuse to play around with ssms, which nicely offsets my somewhat lacking dba-fu, and t-sql by extension. rationally i do understand that sqlite is almost tailored to the problem at hand

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

oh and yes guys, in case you were missing my job stories

1) our prod database for a different new product has died thrice this week, and replica by extension did starve on connections twice and today it did get a corrupted table due to planned activities in prod database so our dba decided to just reconstruct entire replica instead of fixing the problem

2) we have 53 people team with two senior managers that is fulfilling, in handwriting, Microsoft Word mail merge functionality. their solution to recent delays in processing time is to hire 50 more people

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

basically each agent has a list of customers assigned to them. they log into customer management panel in the morning, and start going one by one, manually, through customer account pages. if they see that customer has an invoice due, they print out a blank invoice reminder letter form, open customer personal detail page, and write down their details, by hand, into the form, and the gold it into an envelope and write the customer’s address on it, by hand. two letters per customer. total volume of hundreds, if not thousand, per day.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i wish i was making this poo poo up. their email reminders also are mail to links, that open email forms the agents manually fill in and manually send

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

gonadic io posted:

Ex coworker used to chose in comic sans full time. Idk if he was doing it ironically, or as some kind of counter-culture thing? He said he found it easier to read maybe he just has lovely eyesight

Proportional fonts are overall easier to read, yes.

Comic Sans, though, still seems incredibly weird.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

basically each agent has a list of customers assigned to them. they log into customer management panel in the morning, and start going one by one, manually, through customer account pages. if they see that customer has an invoice due, they print out a blank invoice reminder letter form, open customer personal detail page, and write down their details, by hand, into the form, and the gold it into an envelope and write the customer’s address on it, by hand. two letters per customer. total volume of hundreds, if not thousand, per day.

:cripes:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

cinci zoo sniper posted:

If you wrote a thing that just told them which customers did have invoices, nothing else, you'd be lauded as a god

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

gonadic io posted:

If you wrote a thing that just told them which customers did have invoices, nothing else, you'd be lauded as a god

thankfully it’s obvious to everyone in our department that we just make our dwh email csv with query results to a few interns to mail merge each morning and the problem is solved. unfortunately, the team of 53 is actually two teams of 18 and 35, each with a different senior manager, and the smaller one planning to hire extra people, and if i actually take like 2 hours to solve this problem forever right now then we will have a political crisis when two managers and an exec are together melting down that our department of heartless degenerates wants to fire good people who did nothing wrong or something like that

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

thankfully it’s obvious to everyone in our department that we just make our dwh email csv with query results to a few interns to mail merge each morning and the problem is solved. unfortunately, the team of 53 is actually two teams of 18 and 35, each with a different senior manager, and the smaller one planning to hire extra people, and if i actually take like 2 hours to solve this problem forever right now then we will have a political crisis when two managers and an exec are together melting down that our department of heartless degenerates wants to fire good people who did nothing wrong or something like that

lmao I feel your pain. we have an entire operations division who solve every problem by hiring people to run reports manually. combine that with incompetent management and offshore staff that measure self worth as 'number of people that report to me' and we have hundreds of people adding zero value

one team has been manually processing a set of files that they were supposed to automate 4 years ago, the manual process doesn't even work but they're so dumb they just carry on cranking the handle

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

maybe someone could make a language that compiles to latex, except that this new language would be less garbage?

sounds like an actual use-case for text-to-speech

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Jabor posted:

Proportional fonts are overall easier to read, yes.

Comic Sans, though, still seems incredibly weird.

comic sans is good for people with dyslexia, I forget why but it’s true.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

comic sans is good for people with dyslexia, I forget why but it’s true.

most of the letters are too distinct to be confused for each other; they have different heights and the round/straight parts are drawn differently

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
well then we really need to invent a font for people with dyslexia that isn't comic sans. the idea that there's a group of people out there who can only look at comic sans is heart wrenching.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

isn't the whole reason design purists hate it because of the inconsistency from one letter to the next?