Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Alright I give up on my fresh Madhouse RE7 save. Final Jack is so incredibly frustating without any unlocks and once I get to final phase I just dont have enough physical stamina or healing items to keep up with him.

The fight is too long targeting eyes suckkk when you only have pistol and shotgun ammo

Edit: Im trying again tonight. I read online the essence of defence item you automatically unlock greatly multiplies your defence while guarding so I might just be able to do this if I use that and Albert handgun

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Got that lovely Auto-Shot thing after far too many hours of mindless blasting away and farming.

It's not even worth it!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Wtf you can create enhanced handgun ammo from gunpowder + handgun bullets thanks game for telling me

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

WaltherFeng posted:

Wtf you can create enhanced handgun ammo from gunpowder + handgun bullets thanks game for telling me

lol was wondering why you were having a harder than normal time.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Vikar Jerome posted:

lol was wondering why you were having a harder than normal time.

Well the game offers all the recipes in a separate menu except that oneit. Why?

Anyway used enhanced albert and finished the second phase with 3 magnum shots just to be safe. Got 20 shotgun shells to spare too

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah it's weird.

I have to imagine a lot of people use the combine menu or always start combing by using the Chem fluid as the first selection.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 25, 2018

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Revelations 1/2 on the Switch are $14 each making it cheaper than the full game in package (Which apparently only includes a physical copy of 1 anyway and you need to download the second one)

What am I in for with these two games, and are they good multiplayer games?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

Revelations 1/2 on the Switch are $14 each making it cheaper than the full game in package (Which apparently only includes a physical copy of 1 anyway and you need to download the second one)

What am I in for with these two games, and are they good multiplayer games?

I never played anything but the campaign in Revelations 1 so I can't say much about its multiplayer but if the multiplayer in Revelations 2 is like the previous releases it is extremely limited so don't get it for that. The campaign co-op was local co-op only and the second player character doesn't really get to do much besides mildly assist the main character. One of co-op characters is better than the other because they can at least stun enemies with a flashlight and bash them with a crowbar but the other co-op character is a literal 8 year old or something and all she can do is point at random places in a room to reveal hidden objects and hurl bricks a few feet to stun enemies. The Raid mode in 2 did eventually get online co-op for PC and consoles but Raid mode in 2 is about a slow grind of leveling up characters through repetitive missions to get slightly better weapons to go do slightly harder repetitive missions so I don't think its a very good co-op experience.

I consider the campaigns of both games to be good. Revelations 1's campaign is mechanically, graphically, and ...locationally? limited (you'll be revisiting areas a lot) because its originally a DS game but its fine if you remember that. Most of the game is trying to recreate the mansion from RE1 with the gradual ramping up of threats combined with finding puzzle stuff to gradually open up of the areas you have access to but there are also some asides to more action oriented moments with different characters. Some of the new characters are good, some are bad or annoying, some are pure strain RE weird. Story is, like all good RE, something you'll not care about at all but it doesn't get in the way. It's a fairly basic RE because that all it ever could be on the DS but as it turns out a basic RE can still pretty decent.

Revelations 2's campaign is a bit of a mixed bag because it changed into much more of a traditional game but its still using the same engine as 1, taking some of the more arcadey elements and making them more "serious," and also changing the game from an increasingly open zone like the mansion in RE1 to a more linear game like RE4/5/6. For example, in the first game you find a ton of weapon mods that can do basic things like bigger magazines or more damage per bullet and then there are more exotic things like burst fire or charge attacks hidden slightly better than the basic stuff. You'll stumble across more than enough of the basic mods that the exotic mods feel more like bonuses and because of the open nature of most of the campaign in 1 you can still go back and find the exotic mods usually whenever you want. Revelations 2 keeps the weapon mods system but greatly reduces the number you'll find and that makes them much more important. If you don't manage to find the +Damage mod that was hidden in that corner you're going to feel that loss (even if you don't know why you're feeling it) and you can't go back to find it.

Revelations 2 also adds some more mechanics. There's a fairly big focus on giving the option to stealth kill enemies, its not terrible stealth and if you suck at it you can still fight it out easily enough but it kind of felt weird the first time the game introduced it. There's also some crafting stuff and a bit of inventory management shuffling between the two characters.

However what really sells Revelations 2 is pretty much all the main player characters are great. Claire has been through this poo poo too many times before to get phased by it and just gets on with the zombie killing, Moira Burton is freaking the gently caress out but channels that into actually trying to survive instead of acting like an idiot (and is just ecstatic when Claire kills some giant monster), and Barry comes back to just be the Best Dad to everyone. Natalia isn't... a terrible child character.

Also I'm going to spoiler this next part because while its technically a spoiler I'm going to be as vague as possible and doing something the "wrong" way at one point in the campaign is a one way ticket to getting really annoyed when you finish the game so if you do buy it late in the campaign Claire and Moira are fighting a boss. After defeating the boss there is a sequence where you have the choice of doing a QTE with Claire or switching to Moira. DO NOT complete the QTE as Claire, switch to Moira and do her QTE instead.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

WHAT

You mean all those useless gunpowders kicking around in my inventory could have been improving my standard bullets? I don't need Strong Chem Fluid to make enhanced ammo??

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Kibayasu posted:

Revelations 2's campaign is a bit of a mixed bag because it changed into much more of a traditional game but its still using the same engine as 1, taking some of the more arcadey elements and making them more "serious," and also changing the game from an increasingly open zone like the mansion in RE1 to a more linear game like RE4/5/6. For example, in the first game you find a ton of weapon mods that can do basic things like bigger magazines or more damage per bullet and then there are more exotic things like burst fire or charge attacks hidden slightly better than the basic stuff. You'll stumble across more than enough of the basic mods that the exotic mods feel more like bonuses and because of the open nature of most of the campaign in 1 you can still go back and find the exotic mods usually whenever you want. Revelations 2 keeps the weapon mods system but greatly reduces the number you'll find and that makes them much more important. If you don't manage to find the +Damage mod that was hidden in that corner you're going to feel that loss (even if you don't know why you're feeling it) and you can't go back to find it.

you can replay a chapter once you finish one so you can go back and find any mods you missed. and thats without finishing the entire campaign.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

WHAT

You mean all those useless gunpowders kicking around in my inventory could have been improving my standard bullets? I don't need Strong Chem Fluid to make enhanced ammo??

:psyduck:

Man between this and RE6 Capcom needs to explain mechanics a bit better

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i kinda like they didn't outright tell you and in fact i reckon it was intentional, sorta like a secret recipe you stumble into and discover by accident. i dunno. its the same with being able to repair both guns and those being the stronger than the other ones.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
I discovered this when I watched CarcinogenSDA's AGDQ 2018 run of Madhouse and was like :stare:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Yeah it's a major game changer and suddenly fighting the infected doesnt feel like a chore when your handgun actually does respectable dmg.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
I really doubt rev 2 uses rev 1s engine wtf :psyduck:

Jill's campaign is pretty fun coop, Barry's is so bad we gave up on the game. Single player they are both fine even if the gimmicks are a bit annoying.

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jul 27, 2018

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I really don't see the big problem with Barry's campaign. I played the game coop with a friend who never plays anything but RPGs and Puyo Puyo and we made it through without issues.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I liked Barry's campaign (and Rev2 in general) but I can't imagine playing it in co-op. Natalia is okay as a kind of Ico-like side character but having her as your main just sounds boring.

Does anyone remember that Natalia-only DLC chapter they did? That was unpleasant.

I am still curious about what happened to her in the stinger but I doubt we'll ever get any kind of resolution. Of course, this franchise has plenty of loose ends that will never be tied up (Billy/Nicolai/HUNK/Steve/etc)

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I liked Barry's campaign (and Rev2 in general) but I can't imagine playing it in co-op. Natalia is okay as a kind of Ico-like side character but having her as your main just sounds boring.

Does anyone remember that Natalia-only DLC chapter they did? That was unpleasant.

I am still curious about what happened to her in the stinger but I doubt we'll ever get any kind of resolution. Of course, this franchise has plenty of loose ends that will never be tied up (Billy/Nicolai/HUNK/Steve/etc)

Arent Nicolai and Steve a little bit dead?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Arent Nicolai and Steve a little bit dead?

RE Nicholai: Survivor has a file written by Nicholai dated after the events of RE3 so we can assume he made it out. Survivor itself making canon status by virtue of being mentioned in the opening of RE0.

Steve: Plot point seems a little bit dead now that Wesker's gone and nothing seems to have come of his T-Alexia research. Although with HCF still active as mentioned in a file in RE7 anything's possible.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Renoistic posted:

I really don't see the big problem with Barry's campaign. I played the game coop with a friend who never plays anything but RPGs and Puyo Puyo and we made it through without issues.

It wasn't hard, it's just that playing Natalia only is boring as poo poo.
Splitting abilities like in Jill's chapter is cool, even if it's not very well executed here. I'd love for them to give the Shootman & Punchman coop setup another try, having to set up combos etc for each other is a really fun take on re combat.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I'm pretty sure we'll eventually find Steve's frozen corpse in a fridge somewhere and both the heroes and the villains alike will just kinda go, "Ohhhhhh yeah! Completely forgot about this guy. Huh, so this is where he's been all these years. Oh well."

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Backhand posted:

I'm pretty sure we'll eventually find Steve's frozen corpse in a fridge somewhere and both the heroes and the villains alike will just kinda go, "Ohhhhhh yeah! Completely forgot about this guy. Huh, so this is where he's been all these years. Oh well."

I was hoping the source of the outbreak in Resident Evil 7 was Wesker had stashed Steve's body in some fridge in Louisiana and the power got shut off a few years after he died, leading to the troubles. What they actually came up with was much dumber and lamer.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Yeah I didn't like that the RE7 stuff was totally new. It should have built on the T or G virus. I remember speculating before the game came out that the family seemed to be some sort of labrats for some tyrant breeding experiment, since Jack behaved so similarly to Mr X and had the same pale skin.

RE7 is top tier RE but what the baddies really were occupied the unfortunate no-man's land of being too fantastical to make sense for Resident Evil, (mind control via fungus) and not fantastical enough to suit Resident Evil (actual ghosts in the RE7 demo).

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Klaus Kinski posted:

It does though, at least the remastered Revelations UE re-release (both use MT Framework, albeit different versions). It's the same engine that also powers RE5 & RE6, along with the HD Remasters of Code: Veronica, REmake and RE0. Of all of these, only RE5 uses V1 of the engine; everything else uses V2.

Klaus Kinski posted:

Jill's campaign is pretty fun coop, Barry's is so bad we gave up on the game. Single player they are both fine even if the gimmicks are a bit annoying.

Jill's campaign..?!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Klaus Kinski posted:

It absolutely does, the games look nearly identical. Now that’s mostly because Capcom were using their own engine for a lot of their titles, from consoles to handhelds, but it still does. The console version of the first Revelations was running on a different version of the engine than the DS version but Revelations 2 is the same engine as Revelations 1. poo poo if you can believe Wikipedia it’s the same engine as Monster Hunter World and RE6.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Capcom uses their proprietary engine MT Framework in everything. It is incredibly versatile.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

SettingSun posted:

Capcom uses their proprietary engine MT Framework in everything. It is incredibly versatile.

Yeah, a lot of their games from like a decade ago still looking loving amazing on PC thanks to this.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Jeez, I was pretty impressed with REmake on Xbone. I fuckin love summer but I cant wait for the fall/winter to be back home and just have some time to sit down and play some of this poo poo, and on my PC. Kinda planning a RE marathon, though I dont own 3, or any of the non-main ones besides Revelations. A brief try of Rev is the only non main game I've played, and I never did beat CV. I got some work to do.

e: oh poo poo, yeah I do have 3 on PS3 I think.
e: GOOGLING RESIDENT EVIL RETURNS FILM RESULTS BEFORE THE GAMES WTF IS THIS poo poo

codo27 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 27, 2018

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

codo27 posted:

Jeez, I was pretty impressed with REmake on Xbone. I fuckin love summer but I cant wait for the fall/winter to be back home and just have some time to sit down and play some of this poo poo, and on my PC. Kinda planning a RE marathon, though I dont own 3, or any of the non-main ones besides Revelations. A brief try of Rev is the only non main game I've played, and I never did beat CV. I got some work to do.

e: oh poo poo, yeah I do have 3 on PS3 I think.
e: GOOGLING RESIDENT EVIL RETURNS FILM RESULTS BEFORE THE GAMES WTF IS THIS poo poo

Somehow the movies made buccos of cash, yes it's a terrible world we live in

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I did it. I beat Madhouse without unlocks besides Albert and Secret of Defence. What a ride.

Somehow I had like 50 shotgun shells during so caves was pretty easy excluding the super fatty which took 3 grenade rounds and bunch of shotgun shells.

So with my new knowledge I tried how Normal feels like again... and got murdered by Jack 10 times during the chainsaw part. The game's still pretty drat challenging even on default.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's worth checking out the RE7 DLC if you haven't already, I loved it

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah End of Zoe is loving great, especially the cyber fist at the end

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Somehow the movies made buccos of cash, yes it's a terrible world we live in

This is the weirdest thing to me because I don't think I've ever seen a single advertisement for them ever. I still feel like people are bullshitting me when they say there's actually a bunch of them.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
The first one was fine, I've some people say good things about the second, but I don't think I've heard anybody say anything good about the series past that. Though I must admit, the best part of seeing Last Airbender with my cousins was when they played the 3D trailer for one of them because the theatre didn't have enough kid-friendly 3D trailers.

We should have gotten George Romero's RE movie.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

End of Zoe has those loving alligators which ruined it for me.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

SettingSun posted:

Yeah, but saying all MT framework games are using the same engine is like saying all UE games use the same engine. There's obviously a ton of different versions, revisions and customization between games.

quote:

Jill's campaign
Hey it was 8am and I just got off work :saddowns:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

catlord posted:

The first one was fine, I've some people say good things about the second, but I don't think I've heard anybody say anything good about the series past that. Though I must admit, the best part of seeing Last Airbender with my cousins was when they played the 3D trailer for one of them because the theatre didn't have enough kid-friendly 3D trailers.

We should have gotten George Romero's RE movie.

They’re all great because they’re so ridiculously stupid. Teach your bioweapons to put the right shape in the hole, kill an executioner from RE5 with a coin based shotgun, survive the many underground cities with trapped clones controlled by Umbrella and Jorah Mormont, Road Warrior.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Doesn't Wesker become the president in one of them

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Convex posted:

Doesn't Wesker become the president in one of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Complete global tariffs are on the table.