Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
ya i think so. but maybe there’s a better way idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
there's other options:

https://www.dyslexiefont.com/en/typeface/

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

basically each agent has a list of customers assigned to them. they log into customer management panel in the morning, and start going one by one, manually, through customer account pages. if they see that customer has an invoice due, they print out a blank invoice reminder letter form, open customer personal detail page, and write down their details, by hand, into the form, and the gold it into an envelope and write the customer’s address on it, by hand. two letters per customer. total volume of hundreds, if not thousand, per day.

automate that poo poo. also sql server is great. check out SSIS while you're in there

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the stupidest thing about latex is how you have to keep re-running the compiler until the results look right

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Five star c === five pass LaTeX?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
So, golang has p-lang level error handling. Right now, 75% of my golang code is poo poo like

code:
turd, err := butt.Poop()
if err != nil {
    return nil, err
}
I googled a bit to see if there was a better pattern for error handling, because this seems kinda lovely compared to java or c#. Welp, the articles I found titled "error handling best practices" basically say to do this poo poo I've already been doing.

Seems bad.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it is wild to me that there are people who unironically laud go's error handling. have they never used an adult language before

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.
c terrible programmer s:

been asked to make our 8 yr old home rolled fim output logs in a format that our ticketing system will accept. currently it hits character cap when listing every file exception out. The general direction was just "list what servers have exceptions, and the number of exceptions, and then have a link to the SEIM's report for those events.

I can write powershell and python but this is C#. I don''t know c#. I feel like i'm playing whack-a-mole trying to figure out why in certain cases my new lines are actually triggered and in some they aren't.

also side bitch: the logging module was home rolled too, they didn't use log4net or nlog, we just have a whole Logging.cs file full of "file.WriteLine".

i'd bitch about why we aren't using actual c# devs that we have in house for this, it would probably take them less than hour or two to figure out, but i've been wanting to figure out c# more, so, r i p

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bloody posted:

the stupidest thing about latex is how you have to keep re-running the compiler until the results look right

most toolchains have ways to determine the number of compiler reruns needed and execute compilation accordingly

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jowj posted:

c terrible programmer s:

been asked to make our 8 yr old home rolled fim output logs in a format that our ticketing system will accept. currently it hits character cap when listing every file exception out. The general direction was just "list what servers have exceptions, and the number of exceptions, and then have a link to the SEIM's report for those events.

I can write powershell and python but this is C#. I don''t know c#. I feel like i'm playing whack-a-mole trying to figure out why in certain cases my new lines are actually triggered and in some they aren't.

also side bitch: the logging module was home rolled too, they didn't use log4net or nlog, we just have a whole Logging.cs file full of "file.WriteLine".

i'd bitch about why we aren't using actual c# devs that we have in house for this, it would probably take them less than hour or two to figure out, but i've been wanting to figure out c# more, so, r i p

its possible they used a mix of line terminators. how are you reading in the log files and is there a standard layout (ex: date severity message) or is it a mess?

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.

Shaggar posted:

its possible they used a mix of line terminators. how are you reading in the log files and is there a standard layout (ex: date severity message) or is it a mess?

ah I miss-typed. I said "why my new lines aren't triggering" and i meant my new lines of code, rather than literal new lines.

but, lol no its a loving mess. it prints out a txt file but doesn't do any standardization its a travesty.

code:
Processing server group: test

Processing Time:
         Start: 7/26/2018 4:02:26 PM
          Stop: 7/26/2018 4:05:27 PM
       Runtime: 00 00:03:00 day(s) hr:min:sec
those are all staticly created newlines and spacing printed out. its a disgusting mess. if I had more time I would look into using an actual logging library, and making sure the application printed everything in date severity message. there are literally no time stamps other than start/stop of scan.

edit:

oh my god they are using a mix of line terminators gently caress, sometimes \n sometimes \r\n i am flabbergasted. this is windows only too.

Jowj fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 26, 2018

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Finster Dexter posted:

So, golang has p-lang level error handling. Right now, 75% of my golang code is poo poo like

code:
turd, err := butt.Poop()
if err != nil {
    return nil, err
}
I googled a bit to see if there was a better pattern for error handling, because this seems kinda lovely compared to java or c#. Welp, the articles I found titled "error handling best practices" basically say to do this poo poo I've already been doing.

Seems bad.

handle ur fuckin errors then

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Bloody posted:

it is wild to me that there are people who unironically laud go's error handling. have they never used an adult language before

i mean, there is something to be said for how explicit it makes everything but it's also boilerplate-y as hell.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Bloody posted:

go's error handling is 'okay'

exceptions are 'okay'

well, theres my hot take

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

redleader posted:

the default latex font is so loving ugly, and instantly marks its users as being disgusting, aesthetically-inept goonlords

look how loving wrong this poster is, hooooly poo poo i have never seen anything so incorrect

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

redleader posted:

the default latex font is so loving ugly, and instantly marks its users as being disgusting, aesthetically-inept goonlords

yeah, looks like it'd be at home as a default linux font

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

cinci zoo sniper posted:

just override it to comic sans on system level
For maximum effect, use the best font ever:

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER
wingdings imo

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

handle ur fuckin errors then

That is the fuckin error handling... unless I want to panic/recover in which case you lose the err completely.

jony neuemonic posted:

i mean, there is something to be said for how explicit it makes everything but it's also boilerplate-y as hell.

Yeah, pretty much. It worsens the snr.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ctps:
code:
using System.Linq;
using System.IO;

namespace ConsoleApp1
{
    class Program
    {
        static void Main(string[] args)
        {
            var a = File.ReadAllLines(@"C:\a.txt");
            var b = File.ReadAllLines(@"C:\b.txt");
            File.WriteAllText(@"C:\c.txt", b.Except(a).Aggregate("", (x, y) => x += y + "\r\n"));
        }
    }
}
there is probably a trivial tool for this, isn't there

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

guess who added a quick fix to something and added the exact threading related bug that they'd just fixed somewhere else to a different part of the code base one day before deployment?

this guy.

In my defence it worked in 50% of cases. zero test case coverage strikes again lol

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

gonadic io posted:

Ex coworker used to chose in comic sans full time. Idk if he was doing it ironically, or as some kind of counter-culture thing? He said he found it easier to read maybe he just has lovely eyesight

I’ve heard that comic sans is coincidentally easier to distinguish for people with dyslexia

and unlike dyslexia-specific fonts it’s installed everywhere

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Finster Dexter posted:

At the risk of sounding ignorant, what is a p-lang?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Bloody posted:

ctps:
code:
using System.Linq;
using System.IO;

namespace ConsoleApp1
{
    class Program
    {
        {
            File.WriteAllText(@"C:\c.txt", b.Except(a).Aggregate("", (x, y) => x += y + "\r\n"));
        }
    }
}

have you tried `cat` op? (it's called `type`) in Windows cmd

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

TheCog posted:

All those dynamic "scripting" langs that start with a p. Perl, python, php, ruby

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

TheCog posted:

i dunno what's a p-lang with u?

Bloody posted:

ctps:
code:
using System.Linq;
using System.IO;

namespace ConsoleApp1
{
    class Program
    {
        {
        }
    }
}
that looks to be C#, so the trivial tool for this is probably Shaggar

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

gonadic io posted:

All those dynamic "scripting" langs that start with a p. Perl, python, php, ruby

pjavascript

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Bloody posted:

ctps:
code:
using System.Linq;
using System.IO;

namespace ConsoleApp1
{
    class Program
    {
        {
        }
    }
}

cat b.txt >> a.txt

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Finster Dexter posted:

cat b.txt >> a.txt
:wrong:
code:
grep -vxF  -f a.txt b.txt > ur_mom.txt

Ellie Crabcakes fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 26, 2018

mystes
May 31, 2006

gonadic io posted:

have you tried `cat` op? (it's called `type`) in Windows cmd

Finster Dexter posted:

cat b.txt >> a.txt
I think you guys missed the "b.Except(a)" part. You could do this with grep on linux but on windows I don't think you could do this with just the command interpreter; you would probably have to use powershell.

code:
$b = gc b.txt
gc a.txt | ? {$_ -notin $b}

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
maybe if windows wasnt a POS OS...

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

redleader posted:

i once spent an hour on a friday afternoon coding in papyrus. it was somewhat amusing

what the gently caress lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

redleader posted:

i once spent an hour on a friday afternoon coding in papyrus. it was somewhat amusing
Just wait until you discover the stupid ligature fonts.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i just use monaco as god intended.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Yas, uTub has moved to Polymer and Mozilla is whining like a big babby.

https://twitter.com/cpeterso/status/1021649116391075840

Why target Polymer v1 and not v2 or v3 that was released at Google.IO this year? Only v1 actually works properly, :lol:

Actually I'm surprised they got Edge working as I find MS's both browsers error out on just loading the most basic of components.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Peeny Cheez posted:

code:
grep -vxF a.txt b.txt > ur_mom.txt

:perfect:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Peeny Cheez posted:

code:

:wow:

i think doing the dumb thing in c# was effectively faster for my doesnt know a unix brain but i am not surprised that it is a trivial grep

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Peeny Cheez posted:

code:

wow, nice, didn't know that was possible

i had to add a -f to tell grep 'look in a.txt for patterns', but it could be that the mac-bundled bsd grep is just not the same as gnu grep, idk.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

gonadic io posted:

Lol what a li'l bitch

Honestly it was more of a "fix if it's not too much of a pain" sort of thing. I guess maybe this is approaching the "it's too much of a pain" point, but I do need to make a few other changes to the flowchart so I might as well see if I can get this working while I'm at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
can you change the doc to match the svg instead?