Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I would have a 2.00 ERA and 13 K/9 if I pitched as a reliever in the AL Central this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

General consensus seems to be that we overpaid a bit, but there’s no denying Maldonado is a defensive upgrade even if his bat is mediocre. This is triage to cope with McCann’s injury and a lack of C depth.

I’m fine with it :shrug:

And... Why aren't we giving Garrett Stubbs a chance?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kirios posted:

And... Why aren't we giving Garrett Stubbs a chance?

He’s not ready and we aren’t going to give him two months in the bigs before tossing him into a playoff situation. He’s the Catcher of The Future, but not the one we need at the moment.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

GalacticAcid posted:

I would have a 2.00 ERA and 13 K/9 if I pitched as a reliever in the AL Central this year.

Indians are playing in the worst division in baseball and yet somehow have the worst record among MLB division leaders. :psyduck:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

Indians are playing in the worst division in baseball and yet somehow have the worst record among MLB division leaders. :psyduck:

They have the worst record and the biggest lead by a full 2 games.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

GalacticAcid posted:

Would you like to pitch for the Kansas City Royals sir?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Grittybeard posted:

Would you like to pitch for the Kansas City Royals sir?

I'll be on the next flight :hai:

Also if Soria gets shelled in the NL Central, consider this "calling my shot."

If he stays good, then I was just joking.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Sydin posted:

That’s what happens when one third of your offense is garbage and your bullpen shits itself for six weeks.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Soria has a 14.6 SwStr% and his FIP is 2.15, I think his skills should carry over to the NL. His peripherals are pretty much all in line with his best years.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Inspector_666 posted:

Whoever was talking about the HR Cycle:

https://twitter.com/AMarshallSport/status/1022507106434539521

So, to answer the question it's never been done in the majors.

Geoff Jenkins almost did it once, he had 3/4 but failed to get the last one (and it was a game I was at, forgot which ones he had).

We need starting pitching, not relievers.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

iospace posted:

SP market is garbage. Brewers and Yankees staring down the same problem here.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Went to the barber after lunch and they had this show on that's basically Hollywood Squares but instead of being tic tac toe they just sit in chairs. But the same "joke answer/serious answer" format and it has Louie Anderson on it for some reason

ANYWAY one of the questions was what does it mean to go deep in baseball. The comedian's serious answer was to play way back in the outfield. The contestant agreed. What the gently caress, who doesn't know what going deep is?

Current mood: eating a bagel without separating the halves or toasting it

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Intruder posted:

Went to the barber after lunch and they had this show on that's basically Hollywood Squares but instead of being tic tac toe they just sit in chairs. But the same "joke answer/serious answer" format and it has Louie Anderson on it for some reason

ANYWAY one of the questions was what does it mean to go deep in baseball. The comedian's serious answer was to play way back in the outfield. The contestant agreed. What the gently caress, who doesn't know what going deep is?

Current mood: eating a bagel without separating the halves or toasting it

My god man, get some cream cheese at least

Also Louie Anderson is great on Baskets but I feel like I’m one of ten people that actually watches that show.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

iospace posted:

There's no realistically available SP besides old broken down rentals that teams are trying to gouge out the nose for. Rumor was the Brewers were trying to swing an Archer trade but :lol: the Rays have refused to move him for years and they sure as hell aren't going to sell low now.

e. Oh hey now here's a thing:

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1022542385803345920

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sydin posted:

There's no realistically available SP besides old broken down rentals that teams are trying to gouge out the nose for.

Kyyyyllleee Giiiibsssooooonnnnn

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Yankees just got Happ

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Yankees stop getting better. Thanks

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Boy I would have never guessed the Nats might be sellers at the beginning of the year. It still seems a bit premature to start a sell off, especially if they plan to sign Harper to a long term deal. But if they start selling I would think that means Harper is for sure gonna go elsewhere which is something I didn't think the Nats would allow to happen.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
Brandon Drury believed to be the centerpiece? Yuck.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Gobias Ind. posted:

Its two months of Happ lol

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Sydin posted:

There's no realistically available SP besides old broken down rentals that teams are trying to gouge out the nose for. Rumor was the Brewers were trying to swing an Archer trade but :lol: the Rays have refused to move him for years and they sure as hell aren't going to sell low now.

e. Oh hey now here's a thing:

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1022542385803345920

lmao the loving Nats are considering being sellers before the Birds. At this rate, all the buyers will have their pieces before Mo wakes up from his mid-season nap.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

Nodoze posted:

Its two months of Happ lol

In a thin SP market with supposedly multiple teams interested. Forgive me for hoping for more than a mediocre 25 year old infielder as the highlight of the return.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Drury for Happ is a very fair price

and Happ has been better than Chris Archer the last three seasons lol

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Sydin posted:

That's a solid add. Soria is great this year and he comes with a $10m club option next season.

Please immediately quarantine Soria so he can be thoroughly investigated by scientists to find a possible cure for Tigers Bullpen Syndrome.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Waiting to see if Carp gets reunited with Arrieta in Philly.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Also Louie Anderson is great on Baskets but I feel like I’m one of ten people that actually watches that show.

Baskets is absolutely great and casting Louie was oddly genius. My wife and I love it. But yeah - I don't think I've ever heard anyone ever mention it in real life.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Gobias Ind. posted:

I’m a Yankees fan and I hate it and think we overpaid by a lot. So I guess it’s a fair deal if both teams’ fans hate it?

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

Perhaps I'm undervaluing Drury. Apparently Billy McKinney is going to the Jays too, which makes it feel better to me.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Tony Phillips posted:

Baskets is absolutely great and casting Louie was oddly genius. My wife and I love it. But yeah - I don't think I've ever heard anyone ever mention it in real life.

The weird thing is that I no longer view it as stunt casting. I absolutely buy him as a sincere lonely mom who just wants her sons to be happy. It’s a really sweet portrayal.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Gobias Ind. posted:

Perhaps I'm undervaluing Drury. Apparently Billy McKinney is going to the Jays too, which makes it feel better to me.

I liked Drury even though he hasn’t performed in the sporadic playing time he was given. Including the minor league stats this year, he doubled his walk rate, and has a high xwOBA. He also has really good plate coverage and can hit every zone hard. He also has 4 years of control.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Gobias Ind. posted:

He's been pretty awful this year and really pretty much every year sans 2017 (he hit well in 2016 but still managed a negative WAR thanks to his abysmal defense) but he's also young and cheap and controlled through 2021. It's a decent gamble to get back for 2 months of Happ.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

from a Yankee fan perspective, I think this is a good deal for both sides. Yankees get a guy who's pitched in big spots and done well, and is also better than most people think. Drury is a guy who was never gonna play in this infield, not with all the talent on it. McKinney was similarly blocked. they were more valuable in a trade for a team that's trying to win this year.

we also didn't hurt our depth at all with these last two trades so all in all i'm very happy with what the Yanks have done so far

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Lol how many times has Billy McKinney already been traded?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm getting increasingly worried as more deals happen without DiPoto doing anything. Happ would have been a very decent innings eater for us over the second half.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Gobias Ind. posted:

Don't worry they both suck.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I love Baskets. I was skeptical of his casting originally as just a joke, but I've been completely won over by his portrayal of the character.

Tony Phillips posted:

Even the guy in my office that watches roughly the same TV and movies as me doesn't watch it and has no desire to. I just don't get why, as he liked Louie and some other fringe shows that were in a similar vein. And yeah, no one else I know watches it (and most haven't even heard of it).

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The weird thing is that I no longer view it as stunt casting. I absolutely buy him as a sincere lonely mom who just wants her sons to be happy. It’s a really sweet portrayal.

I think I was just so used to his other acting on shows that I expected it to be a complete hamfest and when he took the role seriously it was quite jarring at first, but quickly became endearing.

Mike_V posted:

lmao the loving Nats are considering being sellers before the Birds. At this rate, all the buyers will have their pieces before Mo wakes up from his mid-season nap.

just lol if anyone thinks Mo is going to get off his rear end and take advantage of willing buyers

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 26, 2018

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Goodpancakes posted:

Yankees stop getting better. Thanks

There's been an odd spate of what if articles about the "Yankees with 100 plus wins 'only' getting the wild card, and what if they lose the single game," WHAT IF THAT HAPPENS.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

the popes toes posted:

There's been an odd spate of what if articles about the "Yankees with 100 plus wins 'only' getting the wild card, and what if they lose the single game," WHAT IF THAT HAPPENS.

Then they go home and the other team gets to go to the ALDS.

What do they think is going to happen? Manfred is going to void the results of the WC game because the Yankees "deserve" it more?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

the popes toes posted:

It is a little nutsy that a team with 100+ wins could potentially get bounced from the playoffs in the wild card game, but that's baseball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Happened to the Bucs in a 98 win season.

• Locked thread