Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So that piece of poo poo Chris Hardwick still has his job

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/live-feed/chris-hardwick-will-return-talking-dead-amc-investigation-1129835

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

No but you see she tried to get back with him and *drowns in a pool of own diarrhea*.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I doubt AMC was serious on letting him go if you go by this thing from the action figure thread.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Rirse posted:

I doubt AMC was serious on letting him go if you go by this thing from the action figure thread.

Funko Pop captured his dead eyes pretty well, though.

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

AlternateAccount posted:

The venom here is pretty weird and they try to strike some sort of conspiratorial tone. Dude was clearly deep into alcoholism and mentally unstable. Doesn't excuse the actions, but it's an entirely different thing than loving a plastic baby, for instance.

What's so venomous about pointing out that Mel Gibson is a piece of poo poo who remains a huge piece of poo poo?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Yes, literally only this boring dude can achieve the important task of hosting a show to talk about another show that just aired, how could we ever have this program without someone you forget as soon as you stop looking at him? Gotta sweep his abusive past under the rug.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Grenrow posted:

What's so venomous about pointing out that Mel Gibson is a piece of poo poo who remains a huge piece of poo poo?

Mel Gibson has famous friends, you see

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I thought we had discussed this here, but a bunch of Hardwick's exes had come out and said that he never anything but a good guy to them. This, of course, doesn't absolve anything, but I think it makes AMCs decision easier to make. At worst, they can point to it being an isolated incident. It looks like whoever actually conducted the investigation is well-respected in their field and does this for a living and found no wrong-doing from Hardwick.

However, his accuser did say that if he denied it she had proof right?

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 26, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

DrVenkman posted:

I thought we had discussed this here, but a bunch of Hardwick's exes had come out and said that he never anything but a good guy to them. This, of course, doesn't absolve anything, but I think it makes AMCs decision easier to make. At worst, they can point to it being an isolated incident. It looks like whoever actually conducted the investigation is well-respected in their field and does this for a living and found no wrong-doing from Hardwick.

Yeah, that's how abusers work. Nobody would ever date an abuser if they were just a nasty person all the time. They act nice to people up until they no longer have to.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

DrVenkman posted:

However, his accuser did say that if he denied it she had proof right?

She didn’t accuse him of anything specific. There’s nothing to deny or prove or disprove.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

bad day posted:

She didn’t accuse him of anything specific. There’s nothing to deny or prove or disprove.
I mean only by the metric that she doesn't have time-stamps? She is making pretty specific accusations about trends in their relationship.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

bad day posted:

bad day posted:

My wife is really mean to me all the time. She often says really cruel, hurtful things. Does that constitute enough mental abuse for her to lose her job?

bad day posted:

She doesn’t accuse him of rape in the article.

the article posted:

By this time, like I said, I was terrified to piss him off- so I did what he said.
…Including let him sexually assault me. Regularly. I was expected to be ready for him when he came home from work.

How did this happen? At the beginning of our relationship, I was quite ill often due to my diet, something I’ll get to in a bit. One night he initiated, and I said, “I’m so sorry, can we not tonight? I’m feeling really sick.” He responded, “I just want to remind you, the reason my last relationship didn’t work out was because of the lack of sex.” It was a veiled threat. I succumbed.

Every night, I laid there for him, occasionally in tears. He called it “starfishing”. He thought the whole idea was funny. To be fair, I did go along with it out of fear of losing him. I’m still recovering from being sexually used (not in a super fun way) for three years.

:fuckoff: and stop posting.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I try not to look up internet reactions to these sorts of things but the celebration over this depressed me

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I really wish that I could travel back in time five minutes and unlearn the term "starfishing."

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Sexual harrassment at CBS: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/08/06/les-moonves-and-cbs-face-allegations-of-sexual-misconduct

quote:

Thirty current and former employees of CBS told me that such behavior extended from Moonves to important parts of the corporation, including CBS News and “60 Minutes,” one of the network’s most esteemed programs. During Moonves’s tenure, men at CBS News who were accused of sexual misconduct were promoted, even as the company paid settlements to women with complaints. It isn’t clear whether Moonves himself knew of the allegations, but he has a reputation for being closely involved in management decisions across the network. Some of the allegations, such as those against the former anchor Charlie Rose, as reported by the Washington Post, have already become public. Other claims are being reported here for the first time. Nineteen current and former employees told me that Jeff Fager, the former chairman of CBS News and the current executive producer of “60 Minutes,” allowed harassment in the division. “It’s top down, this culture of older men who have all this power and you are nothing,” one veteran producer told me. “The company is shielding lots of bad behavior.”

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So not Hollywood but athletes are a different sort of celeb.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24258253/ohio-state-buckeyes-place-urban-meyer-administrative-leave

This one is a bit weird. He was place on leave based on the accusation that he was aware of abuse, not that he was even involved.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The sexual abuse stuff in universities is a total shitshow.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The sexual abuse stuff in universities is a total shitshow.

Absolutely. I'm really curious to see how this pans out and if she can prove he knew and what that will spell for his career.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Absolutely. I'm really curious to see how this pans out and if she can prove he knew and what that will spell for his career.

My magic ball says mutually agreed resignation with a significant payout to Meyer, the guy who put a sign up in his locker room that reads, "treat women with respect"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.altpress.com/features/william-control-sex-cult-allegations-interview/

The case against William Control is still ongoing, and this provides a comprehensive explanation of everything going on (including statements from Will himself). It was recently found that he or his lawyer had fabricated text messages screenshots to present to the investigators. According to his soon-to-be-ex-wife as well, he's still harassing her over it.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

U.S. cardinal steps down amid mushrooming sex abuse scandal
http://news.trust.org/item/20180728131404-mnmrn

Tiffany Haddish says she was raped at 17 by a police cadet
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/tiffany-haddish-says-she-raped-17-police-cadet-165707027--abc-news-celebrities.html

Report: Kimberly Guilfoyle left Fox News after being accused of sexual misconduct
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/report-kimberly-guilfoyle-left-fox-news-accused-sexual-misconduct-115302551.html

Several players named in new NFL Network sexual harassment suit
https://sports.yahoo.com/several-players-named-new-nfl-network-sexual-harassment-suit-140422022.html

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Colbert's statement on this was interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKa5u6mX05o

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 4, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Just got word that J. Michael Roddy has been fired as Disney's show manager. I was helping gather the stories from women who had been sexually assaulted by him during his time at Universal, Disney, and in local theatre and we finally compiled enough accounts that Disney dumped him.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Regardless of where you fall on the larger movement, seeing a piece of poo poo like Harvey Weinstein in cuffs is one of the greatest comeuppance moments.

It get's lost amid the juicier sex scandal threads but Hollywood has since it's inception been one of the most corrupt, power mad, abusive towns on the entire planet. Weinstein was the poster boy for the belligerent, always screaming, bullying boss who used his position to endlessly torture and abuse anyone and everyone around him. The guy was basically the real life version of Dark Timeline Biff.

I think I mentioned it before, but it's worth saying again, if you've never seen the movie Swimming with Sharks go watch it, it's Hollywood's dirty little secret that that movie basically a documentary on how Hollywood bosses treat their subordinates and they get away with it, because everybody knows everybody else and therefore it's very easy to find yourself blacklisted from their little club if you ever speak out.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 8, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
One of the sickest things about the Weinstein Bros is that they never hesitated to use the press to ruthlessly attack anyone that made accusations against them over the years.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

I think I mentioned it before, but it's worth saying again, if you've never seen the movie Swimming with Sharks go watch it, it's Hollywood's dirty little secret that that movie basically a documentary on how Hollywood bosses treat their subordinates and they get away with it, because everybody knows everybody else and therefore it's very easy to find yourself blacklisted from their little club if you ever speak out.

And it stars Kevin Spacey as said bullying boss! I could barely make it through the movie. There was very little catharsis, very little hope.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

-Blackadder- posted:

Regardless of where you fall on the larger movement, seeing a piece of poo poo like Harvey Weinstein in cuffs is one of the greatest comeuppance moments.

It get's lost amid the juicier sex scandal threads but Hollywood has since it's inception been one of the most corrupt, power mad, abusive towns on the entire planet. Weinstein was the poster boy for the belligerent, always screaming, bullying boss who used his position to endlessly torture and abuse anyone and everyone around him. The guy was basically the real life version of Dark Timeline Biff.

I love mean little movies like this. It's practically it's own genre, though I'm not sure what you'd call it. Friedkin-likes? Cinema du misanthropie?

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 9, 2018

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

https://twitter.com/cheryllynneaton/status/1028038197685768192

quote:

However, shortly after AMC decided Hardwick should return to “Talking Dead,” NBC confirmed that it had also restored Hardwick on its programs, including “The Wall.” He also appeared as a guest judge on “America’s Got Talent” last week.

Hardwick’s name was also restored on the Nerdist website as a co-founder.

Goddammit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Is Wil Wheaton still gathering his thoughts on Hardwick?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He will be until the day his brain stops receiving oxygen.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The movie mogul’s defense asks a judge to toss charges against him, claiming the D.A. didn’t disclose ‘exculpatory’ emails to the grand jury.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/weinstein-lawyer-dismiss-charges-because-he-had-consensual-intimate-relationship-with-alleged-victim/

Lindsay Lohan says #MeToo makes women look 'weak'
https://www.yahoo.com/news/lindsay-lohan-says-metoo-makes-women-look-weak-180403460.html

#MeToo encounters organized religion in US and abroad:

How the Willow Creek Church Scandal Has Stunned the Evangelical World
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/09/us/evangelicals-willow-creek-scandal.html

China investigates high-ranking Buddhist monk accused of coercing nuns into sex
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/2158046/china-investigates-high-ranking-buddhist-monk-accused-coercing

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh LiLo ... :ohdear:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

esperterra posted:

Am I too cynical if I see this as her spotting a chance for a comeback via couching?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Remulak posted:

Am I too cynical if I see this as her spotting a chance for a comeback via couching?

Nah I briefly considered it myself.

Bless her drug addled lil heart. It's hard for me to take her bad opinions too seriously b/c she was clearly chewed up and spit out by the very industry she's been defending since saying she felt sorry for Weinstein. I hope she stays far away and continues to just run her restaurant/club in Greece or w/e, though last I heard she's trying to get a reality tv show about it ala Vanderpump Rules lmao

would watch ngl

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He can't possibly have time to gather his thoughts because that would be less time to spend on writing blog posts about why twitter is bad & tweeting about Trump being bad.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

esperterra posted:

Yes. it's truly shocking that Lindsay Lohan would say or do something incredible stupid:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Did she get collagen injections in her cheeks or something? That face ain't right.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

Did she get collagen injections in her cheeks or something? That face ain't right.

She's looked weird for a while now. She was definitely ruined by Hollywood. One would hope she can someday get her head right.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Timby posted:

It's probably the best she's looked in a while. There was a combination of losing a ton of weight, drugs and a facelift that ruined her. It's a shame too because she was a good performer who had some incredibly lovely parents. When your mother is as keen as partying as you do then you're not likely to get the support you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

So at what point is somebody given benefit of the doubt? I mean in this case:

- all of his exes have said he never abused them
- she claimed to have proof but never produced it
- At least two companies have “investigated” and brought him back on

It seems like every loving guy who’s been outed immediately has multiple accusers with the same story, and people way more powerful and profitable for Hollywood have gotten removed from their positions.

Note: this isn’t sealioning, or some sort of backdoor MRA bullshit. Genuinely curious to hear why given the circumstances he shouldn’t get his jobs back.