Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

That was great. I also think it might have been the weakest card possible for the B block. B Block best block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Maybe Juice goes 0-9 but by the time his title defences happen, his hand is better and he starts winning because he can punch guys with the southpaw again?

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
So I've finally caught up through Tama/naito and, imo, that match might have been one of Tama's better matches.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jack Anderson posted:

So I've finally caught up through Tama/naito and, imo, that match might have been one of Tama's better matches.

Almost like this Tetsuya Naito fellow might be good at wrestling.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
gently caress YEAH MAH BOY SANADA! I really was not expecting that.

But mah boy Juice tho :cry:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rarity posted:

gently caress YEAH MAH BOY SANADA! I really was not expecting that.

But mah boy Juice tho :cry:

Hey now, he's got Yano next, and as long as Yano doesn't do anything underhanded or against the rules, I'm sure Juice will be fine.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gaz-L posted:

Hey now, he's got Yano next, and as long as Yano doesn't do anything underhanded or against the rules, I'm sure Juice will be fine.

Yano has committed to fair play so Juice is picking up a win :unsmith:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I hope Sanada finally stops Kenny from just rolling through all of B Block and earns himself a title shot after the tournament

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

Also ZSJ is loving amazing I'm so glad he's in New Japan

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i think ishii may beat omega

Takuan
May 6, 2007

I'm gonna come out and say it: This year's G1 isn't as good as the past two years.

It's not bad by any stretch, and I'm enjoying it greatly so far, but on the whole it's just not matching up with last years, or the year before that. I think it's a combination of things working against the overall quality of this year's tournament. The biggest factor is veterans like Kojima and Nagata have been replaced with less experienced guys like Jay White and Hangman Page who are good, but not yet great. Then there's the Bullet Club OG angle which is making Tama and Fale's matches worse than usual. And then finally, Okada isn't working to his full potential to further his current "Weird Kazu" storyline.

The young talent could very well end up paying dividends for New Japan if guys like White, Juice, and Hangman stick around for a few years and continue to improve.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Man, tomorrow's card is probably the weakest of the entire tournament. While EVIL vs Page might be pretty good, I'm vaguely interested in what happens between Weird Okada and Tacos, and I'm cautiously intrigued to see how Knife Perv intends to bullshit himself a win against the BCOG, there's not a single match I'm actually really excited about. Who knows, maybe they'll surprise me, but it's just not a massively exciting card. I'll be there to catch it live in any case :hellyeah:

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

Takuan posted:

I'm gonna come out and say it: This year's G1 isn't as good as the past two years.

It's not bad by any stretch, and I'm enjoying it greatly so far, but on the whole it's just not matching up with last years, or the year before that. I think it's a combination of things working against the overall quality of this year's tournament. The biggest factor is veterans like Kojima and Nagata have been replaced with less experienced guys like Jay White and Hangman Page who are good, but not yet great. Then there's the Bullet Club OG angle which is making Tama and Fale's matches worse than usual. And then finally, Okada isn't working to his full potential to further his current "Weird Kazu" storyline.

The young talent could very well end up paying dividends for New Japan if guys like White, Juice, and Hangman stick around for a few years and continue to improve.

The past two G1's were like a $50 75 steak dinner at a 5 3 star restaurant, while this year's G1 is like some nice takeout at your favorite Chinese place.

Glass Punkbull 141 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 26, 2018

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

We are still getting steak every other day at the very least.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I thiiiiiink Sanada could beat Omega and score that KoPW shot.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VJeff posted:

I want to believe

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Well right now I'm all in on Naito winning this tournament so the champ facing an LIJ member at KoPW makes exactly as much sense as it did last year.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Jack Anderson posted:

The past two G1's were like a $50 steak dinner at a 5 star restaurant, while this year's G1 is like some nice takeout at your favorite Chinese place.

I would say this year is more like a mid-priced entree at a nice, independently owned family restaurant.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I’m the 5 star restaurant where a steak dinner is only $50

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

VJeff posted:

He will because it leads into WK with Omega defending against Naito. I believe in our handsome friend, SANADA.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

jesus WEP posted:

Tell me how much a steak dinner is and I'll gladly edit my post

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Jack Anderson posted:

Tell me how much a steak dinner is and I'll gladly edit my post

A good steak dinner will run you at least $75 per person because sides are always a la carte.

Also, restaurant ratings are 3 stars (Michelin) or 4 stars (NYT). gently caress Yelp, doesn't count.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

Charles Gnarwin posted:

A good steak dinner will run you at least $75 per person because sides are always a la carte.

Also, restaurant ratings are 3 stars (Michelin) or 4 stars (NYT). gently caress Yelp, doesn't count.

Fixed. Thanks for the info.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Still getting caught up(starting the 7/21 show in a bit) but so far ZSJ/YTR and Okada/Hangman are the real standout matches for me. Tana/Switchblade also gets a nod now that I think about it. The misadventures of the Tongans is a helluva story but I hope they murder Red Shoes because gently caress that ref.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So wait ... they put over the hometown guy strong in the main event to send the crowd home happy? Is that even allowed these days? :confused:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I thought you were supposed to embarrass him in front of his friends and family

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Benne posted:

So wait ... they put over the hometown guy strong in the main event to send the crowd home happy? Is that even allowed these days? :confused:

*extremely Bryan Alvarez voice* but you gotta get HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAT

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
idk I feel like considering we aren't even halfway done it's a bit early to start calling this one as that severe a drop off from last year. One off night and a handful of bad Tama and Fale matches aren't enough to ruin it for me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Charles Gnarwin posted:

He will because it leads into WK with Omega defending against Naito. I believe in our handsome friend, SANADA.

You could even have EVIL vs Jericho on that card, maybe.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I want EVIL vs. Jericho and MiSu vs Jericho before he finishes his njpw run

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
One thing I liked is that Omega/Juice actually played off last year's title match between the two, where Juice started off not wanting to hurt Omega's bad knee, but had to resort to it when he got outclassed in the early going. This time Omega was trying to avoid targeting Juice's injury until Juice started getting some offence together, and this time Kenny took the shortcut. (Playing into the subtle heeling he's been doing through the tournament, talking poo poo about Naito in his closing promo and so on)

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Gumball Gumption posted:

I want EVIL vs. Jericho and MiSu vs Jericho before he finishes his njpw run

I didn’t know I wanted these until right now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

A Real Horse posted:

I didn’t know I wanted these until right now.

To be fair, they did tease the EVIL match at Dominion. And I'd guess Jericho would want to work with Tanahashi or Okada before Suzuki, not because he wouldn't want to work MiSu, but if you're a guy like Jericho, you want to work the top stars, and mmmmaybe give one or two up-and-comers the rub.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

jesus WEP posted:

restaurants dont go up to five stars

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Your Parents posted:

restaurants dont go up to five stars

Michelin should learn from Big Dave. Don't limit yourself to an outdated scale.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
This is my first G1 so it tastes more like steak to me than hamburger.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Strawberry Panda posted:

This is my first G1 so it tastes more like steak to me than hamburger.

same, i'm having fun with it :shrug:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

We are getting show of the year contenders every other night they run right now and while that is a slight downturn from last year, it isn't one that I feel that beat up about.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I know it keeps being said but holy gently caress B Block is amazing, every combination of wrestlers is incredible for different reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Ibushi is tilting hard with loses to SANADA and YTR.

• Locked thread