Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Atlantic had a good article about all those loving open floorplans.

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2018/05/the-curse-of-an-open-floor-plan/560561/

But yeah, open floorplans were the hottest new trend in 1901. Everything is recycled. Really can't wait for wood paneling to get into style again.

quote:

In this respect, the open plan might represent the most distinctly American home design possible: to labor in vain against ever-rising demands, imposed mostly by our own choices, all the while insisting that, actually, we love it. It’s a prison, but at least it’s one without walls.

Nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I used to love A&E. OG Law and Order, American Justice, The Equalizer, Hercule Poirot and motherfuckin Columbo.

Now it's mostly reality shows and such. Canada had a channel where I saw Terry Gilliams Brazil for the first time, called Showcase. It was a fun channel that aired a lot of weird stuff, and some great movies, now its summer blockbusters and mediocre network sci fi. Before that, it was like 70% of their programming was Trailer Park Boys, because it was a homegrown runaway success.

The Learning Channel may as well change their name to The Voyeur Channel, these days.

Showcase was my jam. Lots of great stuff on that channel back in the day. Especially, Fridays Without Borders. Tom Green Show and Red Shoe Diaries after 11pm!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Iron Crowned posted:

Ugh, I never liked Spongebob, and it would always weird me out when I was 19 or so and people my age were very much into Spongebob. It especially pisses me off, because Nickelodeon would claim that they capped their series at 3 seasons when they cancelled Pete and Pete.

I started watching Spongebob on September 11, 2001, because when I came home from school (I was 14), literally every channel except Nickelodeon was showing non-stop 9/11 coverage and I wanted a break. I was hooked from there.

Its appeal is clearly NOT universal though, so I never judged anyone for not liking it because that would be weird.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I used to love A&E. OG Law and Order, American Justice, The Equalizer, Hercule Poirot and motherfuckin Columbo.

There's that Maury Chaykin quote from about a decade ago:

quote:

Maury Chaykin reflected on the cancellation of Nero Wolfe in a 2008 interview. "I'm a bit jaded and cynical about which shows succeed on television. I worked on a fantastic show once called Nero Wolfe, but at the time A&E was transforming from the premier intellectual cable network in America to one that airs Dog the Bounty Hunter on repeat, so it was never promoted and eventually went off the air."

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's that Maury Chaykin quote from about a decade ago:

Well said, even though it's sorta based in ego stroking. Although to be fair, Nero Wolfe was a much better show, he's not wrong. Also better than Dog the Bounty Hunter:

- Forgetting to put your name on your SAT, denying yourself 400 points
- A clip of Lowtax saying "Probably misses his glasses".
- Michael Bolton just going to town on some crab cakes
- Stubbing your toe, then doing it again a few minutes later (different table this time)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

BiggerBoat posted:

Since we were discussing King, Salem's Lot aired in like 77 or so and holds up really damned well, especially for a made for TV movie.

The book holds up exceptionally well too. I really appreciate how the first 2/3rds of the book has this slow creeping dread while we get to know the town in bucolic intimate detail, learning names, faces, and personalities left and right. The suddenly stuff goes to poo poo, and fast, screwing with your head. The Stand feels like the first third or so is King cheaply trying to replicate that feeling and doing poorly.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Don Gato posted:

Forged in Fire is one of my guilty pleasures because I like looking at pretty blades :shobon:.

Forged In Fire is great.

The spinoff was bad outside of goobers being told their lovely knives they bought on the internet were, in fact, garbage.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm a bit surprised none of King's more prominent stuff has never been turned into a video game, you could probably make an RPG out of The Stand, at least.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ornamented Death posted:

Forged In Fire is great.

The spinoff was bad outside of goobers being told their lovely knives they bought on the internet were, in fact, garbage.

Forged in Fire is amazing simply on the basis that everyone, from the contestants to the judges, are all so polite.

But with Knife or Death, the single greatest moment was the white guy dressed as a samurai, coming in and boasting that his sword was forged by an authentic Japanese sword smith, and made to his exact specifications, only for the tester to say "The handle's loose."

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Choco1980 posted:

The book holds up exceptionally well too. I really appreciate how the first 2/3rds of the book has this slow creeping dread while we get to know the town in bucolic intimate detail, learning names, faces, and personalities left and right. The suddenly stuff goes to poo poo, and fast, screwing with your head. The Stand feels like the first third or so is King cheaply trying to replicate that feeling and doing poorly.

I need to read that again. That last 3rd where there's no more town authority or law and people are literally hiding in their homes while vampires try to trick them into letting them inside was terrifying to read as a kid.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I'm a bit surprised none of King's more prominent stuff has never been turned into a video game, you could probably make an RPG out of The Stand, at least.

The Mist is pretty much a roguelike.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
King is notorious for writing himself into corners because, by his own admission, he doesn't use outlines or plot notes. He just starts with an idea and GOES, wherever the story takes him until he gets tired of it and then brings in a monster from another dimension or some poo poo. I mostly enjoy his work and think he's a fine writer. His rythm, prose, pacing and dialect are usually very good and I think he loses points as a "serious writer" simply because he's very popular but the motherfucker can bang out very entertaining, highly readable stuff and works tirelessly.

It's hard to hate on him.

Stephen King thread in TBB btw:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3130206

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Iron Crowned posted:

The Mist is pretty much a roguelike.
They made a The Mist game, they just called it Silent Hill.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

BiggerBoat posted:

King is notorious for writing himself into corners because, by his own admission, he doesn't use outlines or plot notes. He just starts with an idea and GOES, wherever the story takes him until he gets tired of it and then brings in a monster from another dimension or some poo poo. I mostly enjoy his work and think he's a fine writer. His rythm, prose, pacing and dialect are usually very good and I think he loses points as a "serious writer" simply because he's very popular but the motherfucker can bang out very entertaining, highly readable stuff and works tirelessly.

I don't remember which thread I posted this but yea

"How the gently caress do you write so many books so fast?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_PBqSPNTfg&t=3008s

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Only one as far as I know:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Ambitious Spider posted:

Only one as far as I know:

There was another one called F13, but it was more of a multimedia thing that included some small games, rather than a full game itself. Yeah, Alan Wake is the best Stephen King video game out there, but it's weird that there's not more competition.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Like how the heck did we get through the 80's without a Stephen King written Infocom text adventure?

We got two Douglas Adams' games.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Well said, even though it's sorta based in ego stroking. Although to be fair, Nero Wolfe was a much better show, he's not wrong. Also better than Dog the Bounty Hunter:

- Forgetting to put your name on your SAT, denying yourself 400 points
- A clip of Lowtax saying "Probably misses his glasses".
- Michael Bolton just going to town on some crab cakes
- Stubbing your toe, then doing it again a few minutes later (different table this time)

I dunno why but the visual of this has me laughing like an idiot. I could probably be entertained by that for a good hour.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

catlord posted:

There was another one called F13, but it was more of a multimedia thing that included some small games, rather than a full game itself. Yeah, Alan Wake is the best Stephen King video game out there, but it's weird that there's not more competition.

I was gonna say Alan Wake too and, yeah, Silent Hill had a lot of Mist elements.

That's actually a neat idea for a game. Something like a 10 chapter game where each one is pulled from a King book. Cujo and Salem's Lot would make really cool survival horror single level one offs. You could probably make a whole game from The Shining . You could probably do something with Pet Semetary, Christine, The Running Man, Firestarter, and maybe even dumb poo poo like Dreamcatcher, The Talisman or Graveyard Shift...

gently caress... a Dark Tower open world sandbox game would loving crush. I could see a way to do an IT game. Or do The Long Walk where you just pressing the square button as your stamina meter decreased.

Sorry...way off topic.

Is there a "here's a cool idea for a game" thread?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I don't know why this thread has given me the urge to watch as many King movies/miniseries as possible, even though they're mostly mediocre and I've only read 10 of his books plus some short stories.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Maybe King's kids will have their dad's raging coke addictions and will sell rights to everything.

A TellTale games version of some of those books might be interesting, especially if you could meaningfully change the outcomes.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
>Bury your cat in the haunted cemetery

>Don’t bury your cat in the haunted cemetery

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I always thought IT would've made a decent tv show.

You've got the story lines with the kids, with the kids as adults. You've got the other story threads, the flashbacks, the history of Derry. You could certainly expand on it even more than the book did. Did any of The Losers Club parents ever seen Pennywise? Did Bill and Georgie's parents ever encounter the clown? Is that why they're even more hosed up after Georgie's death, because they knew Pennywise existed, having seen It as kids?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Two words: gunslinger FPSRPG

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Davros1 posted:

I always thought IT would've made a decent tv show.

You've got the story lines with the kids, with the kids as adults. You've got the other story threads, the flashbacks, the history of Derry. You could certainly expand on it even more than the book did. Did any of The Losers Club parents ever seen Pennywise? Did Bill and Georgie's parents ever encounter the clown? Is that why they're even more hosed up after Georgie's death, because they knew Pennywise existed, having seen It as kids?

The first one was a TV miniseries. Is it that old that people dont remember it already? :ohdear:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Krispy Wafer posted:

Like how the heck did we get through the 80's without a Stephen King written Infocom text adventure?

We got two Douglas Adams' games.

The Lurking Horror comes very close.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Two words: gunslinger FPSRPG

Set it during the civil war that was going on during the Wizard and Glass flashback plot and I am so in.

BiggerBoat posted:

He also wrote The Long Walk, which is a fantastic book by pretty much any metric, when he was a freshman in college. Dude has talent.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Davros1 posted:

Forged in Fire is amazing simply on the basis that everyone, from the contestants to the judges, are all so polite.

But with Knife or Death, the single greatest moment was the white guy dressed as a samurai, coming in and boasting that his sword was forged by an authentic Japanese sword smith, and made to his exact specifications, only for the tester to say "The handle's loose."

As I recall that nerd's Hanzo steel them proceeded to get all kinds of bent up against the ice.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

purple death ray posted:

The first one was a TV miniseries. Is it that old that people dont remember it already? :ohdear:

I watched it when it aired, but I'm talking about a proper TV series. One hour eps, several seasons. The book's dense enough, and even then, there's opportunities to expand.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

purple death ray posted:

I think he was suggesting ways you could branch out from it

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Rirse posted:

Meanwhile TBS these days seems to air nothing but Big Bang Theory. How in the world that show gets four hours a day of airing on that channel.

To be fair to Big Bang Theory, that's the reason it survived.

Also, Law and Order has some amazing episodes but any episode having to do with technology or either classic or SVU early teen years don't stand up very well.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Davros1 posted:

I watched it when it aired, but I'm talking about a proper TV series. One hour eps, several seasons. The book's dense enough, and even then, there's opportunities to expand.

Seriously. Have it bounce around back and forth in time throughout Derry's many years being stalked by the giant psychic space cicada. Maybe The Losers aren't the only group to have fought It?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
And following doomed characters is a very King way to do things. I'd love to see other groups trying their own thing.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Something like American Gods R.I.P. or Westworld where every couple of episodes there was an exploratory hour on one of the characters that helps flesh out the story arch. Walking Dead and Game of Thrones would do those occasionally, but then they got too tied up in the main characters and whether relatives would bone.

I was looking so forward to something similar from the Gunslinger universe, but then they took a big steamy dump on that.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Don Gato posted:

Forged in Fire is one of my guilty pleasures because I like looking at pretty blades :shobon:.

I also think ancient aliens is one of the funniest shows ever made, and I've used that, alien conspiracy shows and general conspiracy shows to make a crazy modern day RPG once.

It's me, I'm the problem :negative:

Congrats you reinvented Dark Conspiracy

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
American Gods was like my go to show to introduce to friends for a while and I’m gonna be really pissed if they don’t fix the dumb situation and we never get a second season

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Aesop Poprock posted:

American Gods was like my go to show to introduce to friends for a while and I’m gonna be really pissed if they don’t fix the dumb situation and we never get a second season

Yup, same.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Iron Crowned posted:

Ugh, I never liked Spongebob, and it would always weird me out when I was 19 or so and people my age were very much into Spongebob. It especially pisses me off, because Nickelodeon would claim that they capped their series at 3 seasons when they cancelled Pete and Pete.

gently caress Spongebob right in his square pants.

Pete and Pete season 3 was bad because it focused too much on Little Pete instead of Big Pete

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Aesop Poprock posted:

What’s going on with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The showrunner quit because he asked for a larger budget for season 2 and they said no