Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

With enough electrical know how, would it be possible to electrify the exterior of a car to levels that could incapacitate or kill a very large animal?

Also, what sort of power supply would be required? Would a bunch of car batteries connected together do the trick?

Asking for a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

With enough electrical know-how.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Something like the robocop 2 car defense thing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMtqRir7dco

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
This feels almost Puckin-like. We uh

We don't have anything to worry about here, do we?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

BBQ Dave posted:

With enough electrical know how, would it be possible to electrify the exterior of a car to levels that could incapacitate or kill a very large animal?

Also, what sort of power supply would be required? Would a bunch of car batteries connected together do the trick?

Asking for a friend.

Possible? Yes.

The most illegal? Also yes. Pretty sure that qualifies as a booby trap which is extremely not a good look; if something happens and a human gets caught in your bear-shocker, and dies, you are very likely to be charged with murder.

There is no use case which makes this a good idea.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
So what... is the OP going to start the Edison car company?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

So what... is the OP going to start the Edison car company?

LOL. Probably. OP, this is a horrible idea. Horrible.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm getting the impression that anyone asking this will kill themselves like that guy who decided to 'hack' a streetlight.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Type: permaban
Punishment reason: electrocuted two, then himself

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Thanks everyone! Way more helpful than the post in the science thread!

I'm writing a speculative fiction story. Never gonna try it. I just had to know if it was possible! If "electrical know how" didn't give it away I dont know much about electricity or cars or science. Thanks again!

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

How about flames instead?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLhWzMOccTg

Could you really get this to work? Does automotive paint conduct electricity? Would you need to use a delorean instead of a normal car?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I'm reminded of one of my favorite Mythbusters moments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0SEBFGGEcI

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I feel that there is an optimum level of electrical know-how to achieve this aim, and further know-how beyond that admittedly low bar will be more of a hinderance than anything else.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Well for it to work the way that you mean, the system would have to generate potential to ground so that the body of the "animal" would complete the circuit much like touching a power line.

One problem with that is, I don't think tires are great insulators what with being fully impregnated with steel belts and not designed for that at all. Secondly, the electrical generation would have to be grounded itself somehow or else you don't have a circuit. That's really difficult to do with a vehicle that isn't stationary.

What you could do however, is cover the exterior of the vehicle with small areas of potential difference that are isolated from the structure. Think like, defibrillator pads. The subject would have to touch two at the same time to complete the circuit, but they could be spaced such that experiencing potential difference is almost assured by the subject. The system could also operate at a relatively lower voltage as it would not have to overcome nearly as much impedance to achieve the desired result.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 26, 2018

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

InitialDave posted:

I feel that there is an optimum level of electrical know-how to achieve this aim, and further know-how beyond that admittedly low bar will be more of a hinderance than anything else.

Like knowing how to identify a really bad idea?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

angryrobots posted:

Well for it to work the way that you mean, the system would have to generate potential to ground so that the body of the "animal" would complete the circuit much like touching a power line.

One problem with that is, I don't think tires are great insulators what with being fully impregnated with steel belts and not designed for that at all. Secondly, the electrical generation would have to be grounded itself somehow or else you don't have a circuit. That's really difficult to do with a vehicle that isn't stationary.

What you could do however, is cover the exterior of the vehicle with small areas of potential difference that are isolated from the structure. Think like, defibrillator pads. The subject would have to touch two at the same time to complete the circuit, but they could be spaced such that experiencing potential difference is almost assured by the subject. The system could also operate at a relatively lower voltage as it would not have to overcome nearly as much impedance to achieve the desired result.

I wonder how well it would work to drag a ground strap, like those buses that have a dangling chain underneath to keep static from accumulating.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Yes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTGn76YljUM&t=610s

You can have single points on your car that are positive and when you touch them, you form a circuit to ground with your body.

You can't do this with the entire car body as modern cars are designed so that the entire body/chassis is connected to the negative terminal of the battery and acts as a ground.

https://www.quora.com/How-many-AA-batteries-would-it-take-to-electrocute-someone

This articles suggests that you could kill someone with 220 AA batteries - I am sure that li-on batteries could do the same and would fit in a shoebox.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It's not voltage that kills it's amperage.

https://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~p616/safety/fatal_current.html

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

spog posted:

Yes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTGn76YljUM&t=610s

You can have single points on your car that are positive and when you touch them, you form a circuit to ground with your body.

You can't do this with the entire car body as modern cars are designed so that the entire body/chassis is connected to the negative terminal of the battery and acts as a ground.

I don't think that's how this works. There are two visible strips behind the electrified door handle. I would bet they are mounted on an insulator, and you complete the circuit by touching both of them.

"All electricity is trying to get to ground" is an awful :wrong: saying.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
This video is ancient, but here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nRqbQr7VGk

You can probably electrify the skin of the car using a similar tesla coil inside the vehicle, faraday caging the occupants and using an earth ground. Voltage limitations are present with the smallest charged air gap (the wheel to ground) so you probably have a max theoretical voltage of 75kV or so. Skin has a resistance around 100kohm, so you have a max theoretical current of 750mA. Across the heart, this gives you up to 5% chance of cardiac fibrillation. So regardless of how much power you could drive, it's extremely unlikely do do anything lethal, but I can promise you it would hurt like hell.

I know my answer was supposed to be a joke answer but I was curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Lifted suspension and fitting tires with high sidewalls will help increase that minimum airgap distance to get you up to lethal :science:

• Locked thread