Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Did someone make another 'This is how you don't review movies ' with CinemaSins on the Matrix? Because I can vividly remember someone bringing up the part where Agent Smith absorbing the Oracle as a ' yeah how could he possibly have visions now, so weird' Snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

RareAcumen posted:

Did someone make another 'This is how you don't review movies ' with CinemaSins on the Matrix? Because I can vividly remember someone bringing up the part where Agent Smith absorbing the Oracle as a ' yeah how could he possibly have visions now, so weird' Snipe.

It's in one of Shaun's videos. I can't remember which one so I'll just link to the playlist and you'll just have to watch all of them. :)

it's in the "CinemaSins is Wrong About Everything" video :)

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I am conflicted on wanting more of those videos, because while his other work debunking the right is more important, dunking on cinemasins is something I definitely want more of. Bobvids ones are good too. Are there any more who do decent takedowns of them?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I just want more of those videos; Jeremy is one of those people that both fail to understand any form of nuance and yet also get pissy when something is explained to them and that's ignoring the fact that he has some genuine problems with women and is honestly pretty thick.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

There's CinemaSinsSins, who is basically dedicated to this entire genre of thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9bODwT_wfo

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
The Escapist is being resurrected

Also, is anyone going to call Yahtzee out for cashing cheques while volunteers kept his site on life support?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Only now I see the actual post after nearly everyone I know making fun of it and yup, I do agree.

Ronnie was probably the least lovely part of Gaaaay-m Thurrrrrrrr since his videos were less about dumbass speculation or being Yakko Warner Mark 2, so his passing is specially felt. MatPat shouldn't probably have monetized his video announcing his passing away.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

High Warlord Zog posted:

Also, is anyone going to call Yahtzee out for cashing cheques while volunteers kept his site on life support?

I know everyone's been dogging them for "keeping politics at the door" but frankly if I was taking charge of the Escapist then I'd absolutely do that too. Wipe the slate clean. There are many game sites that don't keep politics at the door, so leave it to them to do their thing.

Unfortunately they've got Bob Chipman back on board so who knows how long that lasts until he writes an article about how people from Alabama should be gassed

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Testekill posted:

I just want more of those videos; Jeremy is one of those people that both fail to understand any form of nuance and yet also get pissy when something is explained to them and that's ignoring the fact that he has some genuine problems with women and is honestly pretty thick.

Soooo... CinemaSins/Nostalgia Critic crossover when?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

A combination of such whinyness would create a singularity of suck.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

I know everyone's been dogging them for "keeping politics at the door" but frankly if I was taking charge of the Escapist then I'd absolutely do that too. Wipe the slate clean. There are many game sites that don't keep politics at the door, so leave it to them to do their thing.

Unfortunately they've got Bob Chipman back on board so who knows how long that lasts until he writes an article about how people from Alabama should be gassed

The EiC who held the reigns when everything fell completely apart also talked a big game about "leaving politics at the door".

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Yeah "leaving politics at the door" seems a bit of an odd mission statement since one the GG shitheads rallying cries is "keep politics out of games", it really seems like missing the point if you are actually trying to "save" the escapist. I do think it's beyond salvageable though, why would you even try? any other name or even a new one would be far more beneficial than one that's heavily associated with GG and right-wing extremism.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

At this point the floodgates on the political contexts surrounding games have long been opened; "keeping politics out" is itself a political stance and a heavily conservative-leaning one. It's an appeal to the "good old days" where games were games and gamers were white cis males.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Staying away from politics will be great if they can pull it off. Most people go to a site like that for the same reason they play video games in the first place: for escapism. It’s right there in the name. The last thing anyone needs is more journalists rushing to give their hot takes about every little scandal-of-the-week.

Although, as Kim said, Bob Chipman's presence doesn't exactly inspire much confidence.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Hmmm. I mean, it's an uphill battle to say the least and 1 statement's not going to do much.

Is there a place for a more literal and well-meaning interpretation of the statement? Yeah, if it's simply a place where, y'know, all kinds of politics are just left out. I guess like a safe haven, almost. I mean, that's kinda what YT channels like mine and others are.

It's kinda hard to actually make that happen though, especially with an already checkered past.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The only way they could fulfill on that is becoming one of those sites that does literally nothing but aggregate PR releases.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

KayTee posted:

It's in one of Shaun's videos. I can't remember which one so I'll just link to the playlist and you'll just have to watch all of them. :)

I watched the CinemaSins is Still Wrong About Everything video instead because I'm bad at reading sometimes and I didn't remember a second of it, so thanks for exposing me to a Shaun video I missed.

Also the Escapist trying to 'keep politics at the door' will crumble the second any politician tries to assign blame to a tragedy on the fact that the perpetrator had a game console with a limited edition skin on it.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 27, 2018

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

High Warlord Zog posted:

No because gently caress you pay me

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

KayTee posted:

WampaLord posted:

There's CinemaSinsSins, who is basically dedicated to this entire genre of thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9bODwT_wfo

Okay, I must not of gotten the memo but am I supposed to finding both these guys as something other than poe-faced and boring? Am I supposed to consider this smart? Cause this is like watching a 20 minute 'analysis' of some neckbeard with a faux-british accent telling me how water is indeed wet while sporadically pausing a video of a leaky faucet.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fingerless Gloves posted:

I am conflicted on wanting more of those videos, because while his other work debunking the right is more important, dunking on cinemasins is something I definitely want more of.

Why? Someone criticizing a critic is one of most tedious things ever. If someone doesn't like or understand a movie, why is it so important to correct them?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Before today I hadn't ever seen any of Shaun's videos and I've been watching them all day and I find them hilarious.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
CinemaSins is, somehow, a pretty big channel and considered a not insignificant 'voice' in criticism. Considering half their videos can be summed up as 'I don't understand storytelling' it's kinda funny to point out how dumb they are.

It's like how some gamer site did an article the other day about Chekhov's Gun as a trope but framed it as "YOU WILL HAVE YOUR MIND BLOWN AND ALL STORIES RUINED FOR YOU WHEN YOU LEARN ABOUT THIS" to the point where they literally just spent a third of the article explaining the Chekhov's Gun joke in Shaun of the Dead. Or, it's like how some youtube channel did a video about how foreshadowing at the start of the new God of War was actually a HUGE SPOILER that RUINS THE GAME. Like, people who don't understand storytelling making breathless content where they go "HOLY gently caress GUYS DID I JUST DISCOVER SOMETHING HUGE" are funny. It's not that deep.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

The problem with "Keeping politics at the door" is that "politics" could mean anything from "talking about what a bunch of people in Washington, DC are doing with the government" to "saying that it would be cool if maybe there were playable ladies that weren't dressed like strippers" and/or "Y'know, some people who play video games would like to romance people of the same gender."

I think putting a "no politics" policy in place opens your site to a lot of people using that to go "Shut up about inclusivity and only talk about what applies to me!"

EDIT:

Alhazred posted:

Why? Someone criticizing a critic is one of most tedious things ever. If someone doesn't like or understand a movie, why is it so important to correct them?

CS is aggressively wrong, on several fronts, and even leaving aside that they're demonstrably convincing a lot of people to avoid seeing good movies because of supposed "sins" (that consist of nitpicks, missing the point, and outright lies), it's really, really satisfying to hear and see someone else saying, "No, that's wrong, and here's why."

Also other people like different forms of media than you.

Puppy Time fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 27, 2018

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
My fox got a pineapple: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp7R_8XGFrI

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I can see an extremely dry gaming news site being appealing for people, though, considering; it's not like you lack choices if you want the opposite.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kim Justice posted:

yeah. i am a fine with "no politics" if it equals "just release news and fun poo poo" there are enough critical theory sites and id rather have a good waypoint type site that specifies in it then a polygon type that tries and fucks up at both. sucks that bob is back because it will just be "gas the rurals and the poors so my cyber intelligentsia society can rise and all the FPS fans also get the gas" poo poo.

Motto posted:

The only way they could fulfill on that is becoming one of those sites that does literally nothing but aggregate PR releases.

thats probably the case. meh previews and poo poo, which i can get in other places.

Alhazred posted:

because if their critiques and hot takes are super poo poo or dumb, its worth pointing out and also funny.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Puppy Time posted:

CS is aggressively wrong, on several fronts, and even leaving aside that they're demonstrably convincing a lot of people to avoid seeing good movies because of supposed "sins" (that consist of nitpicks, missing the point, and outright lies), it's really, really satisfying to hear and see someone else saying, "No, that's wrong, and here's why."

CS is not trying to be serious criticism of movies. The whole point of the videos is that their nitpicking and that those nitpicks doesn't necessarily mean that a movie is bad, they even point out when the movie does something good.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

This guy might be even cuter than Loki, even if TYR is not all that floofy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Somehow I doubt this Escapist resurrection will last very long.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Alhazred posted:

CS is not trying to be serious criticism of movies. The whole point of the videos is that their nitpicking and that those nitpicks doesn't necessarily mean that a movie is bad, they even point out when the movie does something good.

outright lying and making poo poo up is not nitpicking hope this helps

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
What was the Escapists relation to GG because I remember they had something to do with it early on and seemed like the only 'major' magazine that hitched itself to the movement. So gently caress 'em.

Also I have to echo the sentiment that nitpicking CS is a boring waste of time and I don't really know what people expect to gain by doing it. It's already vapid, inconsequential criticism when CS does it, and it's literally all they do.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I remember that despite claiming to care about ethics in games journalism they published a glowing review for Adventurer Conqueror King* without ever acknowledging that it was written by someone in Escapist management.

*one of at the time more popular old school revival table top rpgs.

khwarezm posted:

Also I have to echo the sentiment that nitpicking CS is a boring waste of time and I don't really know what people expect to gain by doing it. It's already vapid, inconsequential criticism when CS does it, and it's literally all they do.
CinemaSinsSins is dumb, but Shaun and Bobvid's cinema sins videos are good.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Alhazred posted:

Nitpicking is digging at small flaws or minor inconsistencies, not completely missing major plot points and character development.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Alhazred posted:

There's several videos responding to CS that point out parts where CS explicitly say they are taking Hollywood to task for doing bad things and making film bad.

They claim they're just fooling around when it's convenient, but they absolutely are trying to be serious crit. They're just extremely uninformed and thick.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alhazred posted:

My response is everything in this video up to 1:15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnTZbZw1JPQ&t=3s

khwarezm posted:

Puppy Time posted:

Also other people like different forms of media than you.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

gently caress me, i'm now realising how much of a bubble I've lived in. Until I started going through these Shaun videos I had no idea who the gently caress Sargon of Akkad or Stefan Molyneaux was and now I do and my life is poorer for it.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
:shrug: CS is an easy target that anyone who knows the least bit about movies and storytelling will write off immediately, Bobvid's spends way more time than he needs to repeating that obvious fact and he would be much better off doing something else. Also you could probably nitpick the nitpicks on the video where he's nitpicking CS's nitpicks (whew!), like he takes issue with CS pointing out that it's pretty weird for somebody to get executed for black magic in 1890 London by making a comment about the Satanic Panic, but CS is actually right here, nobody would be officially executed for practicing black magic in Britain then, the last person executed for witchcraft in the British isles was all the way back in 1727.

It's like those mock threads that get posted on SA about things like bad webcomics or the thin privilege tumblr where the thing obviously sucks but people get way too into it and probably won't make a dent on the actual audience for those things.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 27, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I know that the Escapist hired some pretty special people during the bad old days.

https://twitter.com/madscientist212/status/569244522019860480?s=21

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

khwarezm posted:

:shrug: CS is an easy target that anyone who knows the least bit about movies and storytelling will write off immediately, Bobvid's spends way more time than he needs to repeating that obvious fact and he would be much better off doing something else.

It's like those mock threads that get posted on SA about things like bad webcomics or the thin privilege tumblr where the thing obviously sucks but people get way too into it and probably won't make a dent on the actual audience for those things.

So your philosophy on this is, "Unless you can convince everyone who is a fan of a thing that it's bad, don't bother"?

EDIT:

Darth Walrus posted:

I know that the Escapist hired some pretty special people during the bad old days.

https://twitter.com/madscientist212/status/569244522019860480?s=21

Wow, I never expected to see someone whose actual stated stance was explicitly "I hate when people want me to be polite because I want to say whatever the gently caress I want."

Puppy Time fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

lemonadesweetheart posted:

gently caress me, i'm now realising how much of a bubble I've lived in. Until I started going through these Shaun videos I had no idea who the gently caress Sargon of Akkad or Stefan Molyneaux was and now I do and my life is poorer for it.

It’s good to remember that even the biggest of these people are insignificant to the wold beyond youtube. The most important thing is that they’re being outcompeted by people like Shaun and even ostensibly nonpolitical film analysis because they’re so slovenly in their ideas and their production. The real danger with them was youtube algorithms delivering audiences to them who would just drink up their garbage and think it’s smart for want of an alternative. That’s why it matters that people like Contrapoints not only demonstrate what real thought looks like, but continually strive to make tighter, more technically proficient videos so that kids will realize how loving lazy and weak Sargon are and maybe be moved toward developing an alternative.