Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I mean, the streetcar is pretty militantly dumb. No clear role, it’s just a shibboleth to show how real of a city Milwaukee is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

if I'm remembering right it's moral to push truck commuters in front of trolleys

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

raminasi posted:

lol @ all these hot takes about what companies with stupid personality tests Must Be Like

sucker who works at one spotted

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

sucker who works at one spotted

yes and every assumption i’ve seen itt about my job based on it has been wrong

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

TheFluff posted:

Went in for third interview for some adtech startup, unexpectedly walked out with a preliminary offer for 35% more than my current figgies (which are low tho) plus better benefits to boot. They haven’t even talked to my references yet, so this gives me some odd vibes - they’re a bit suspiciously eager. I don’t even want to work in adtech, so I think I’ll pass, but it’s nice to have the offer as leverage for other positions.

References are a waste of time. Anyone who's been working in the industry for a few years is bound to have some friends that will vouch for them. I haven't been asked for any in years.

Also depending on where you live, the market is hot right now for programmers, they may just wanna get the deal done before you have a chance to shop around and compare offers. I don't think its suspicious, but I agree that adtech is dumb.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

now im thinking of making a computer toucher industry alignment chart because my brain is broken. ad-tech would be chaotic evil, i think

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

defense contracting lawful evil. databases true-neutral. information security lawful good.... scientific analytics chaotic good?? idk

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

its all chaotic evil op

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

well, maybe neutral sometimes but definitely all chaotic

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i think adtech is chaotic neutral unless it is in service if something evil

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
at least that's what i tell myself so i can stomach working here

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I'm interviewing with microsoft this thursday using skype for business anything in particular i should be vary of?

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

my latest company was really thorough checking references. they even checked one I didn’t give them

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

AWWNAW posted:

my latest company was really thorough checking references. they even checked one I didn’t give them
your parole officer?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Boiled Water posted:

I'm interviewing with microsoft this thursday using skype for business anything in particular i should be vary of?

There's a 50% chance they won't be able to get it to work so keep your phone handy.

Anyway I don't remember the phone interview being hard when I did it, just as long as you've got the plot.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Boiled Water posted:

for the love of god install the software and make sure you can connect and have a working mic and speakers before the loving interview.

oh also be sure to tell them that you're super into diversity and inclusion.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Fiedler posted:

oh also be sure to tell them that you're super into diversity and inclusion.

I'm scandi so that part is covered fairly well :v:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Boiled Water posted:

when they ask you to rate yourself against the best programmer you know, the answer is that you are the best programmer

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Gazpacho posted:

when they ask you to rate yourself against the best programmer you know, the answer is that you are the best programmer

I can't tell if you're serious or not

like if someone I'm interviewing feels like they're the best programmer they know I'm pretty sure that's a huge red flag for having serious ego issues

but you never know, HR is a mystery to me

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

TheFluff posted:

Went in for third interview for some adtech startup, unexpectedly walked out with a preliminary offer for 35% more than my current figgies (which are low tho) plus better benefits to boot. They haven’t even talked to my references yet, so this gives me some odd vibes - they’re a bit suspiciously eager. I don’t even want to work in adtech, so I think I’ll pass, but it’s nice to have the offer as leverage for other positions.

it's adtech. they're dying for talent because it's a job that actively makes the world a more terrible place, and everything is driven by sales so burnout is really high. it's also a sector that's rife with horrible people since they're all literally in the business of "selling you something."

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
how do I get out of webdev

i'm mostly a python guy (also forced into js). i've done some C and C++ but hobbyist stuff only, no professional experience. been doing web stuff for about 7 years now

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I would apply for positions that aren’t webdev

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

Boiled Water posted:

Worked for me.

Be prepared to talk to those hobby projects and hopefully find a team lead that cares more about attitude and ability than specific skillset.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
woo, place that flew me out loved me and is moving forward. hopefully the offer doesn't suck. :toot:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Boiled Water posted:

yeah but like everything that isn't webdev asks for very specific things like "at least four years of experience working with embedded systems and particularly these three specific hardware things" or "at least three years of experience with unity" which is kinda discouraging

doesn't cost me a lot to send out a resume tho, i guess

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Pretty much just ignore job requirements when you're trying to switch industries or major tech bits. It'll help to have non professional experience with the stuff, but otherwise just keep applying. Only way to switch really

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
From a hiring manager's perspective, if you're trying to switch gears you'll need a bit of word salad in your project experience (even if personal projects, make sure you've done relevant things) to get your resume through HR and then have a good track record of doing more impressive things for a HM to give you a phone screen. Then it's all attitude and desire to learn.

Lacking "Four years of Unity experience" doesn't force anyone in the chain to give a hard no.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
I feel like a good way to switch specializations is to set your sights lower as far as company. One of the big name or cool companies isn't going to want some web developer working on their embedded systems, but smallscrubco may just be happy to have an applicant. You could also try applying for some kind of hybrid position, where they want both web development experience for front-end and Java or something for backend. Then you could just work your way more into enterprise app development, which would open up some different areas.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

TheFluff posted:

yeah but like everything that isn't webdev asks for very specific things like "at least four years of experience working with embedded systems and particularly these three specific hardware things" or "at least three years of experience with unity" which is kinda discouraging

doesn't cost me a lot to send out a resume tho, i guess

number of years of experience is the hr persons best guess or guideline for position.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Just be careful of the guy who actually does have X years experience in the thing they want

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

qhat posted:

Just be careful of the guy who actually does have X years experience in the thing they want

If interviewing is a numbers game then the career switch is definitely long odds.

Interviewing is pretty risk free though so you might as well go for it if it's what you want.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

qhat posted:

Just keep applying, that dude can't be everywhere at once

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
you vs the candidate they told you not to worry about

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

getting an offer today and i think i'm gonna take it

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

uncurable mlady posted:

nice

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

uncurable mlady posted:

goongratulations

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

uncurable mlady posted:

:yotj:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:yotj:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

i did indeed take it. 30% raise. :yotj:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

"Feedback with all 3 interviewers was excellent but this is a timing thing and we're going to move forward with someone further along in the process. How about this other semi-related position instead?"

Interviewing is trash.