Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

"We must now consume the humans' food to gain their trust."

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
A ticket came in yesterday: “all of the windows 7 machines in AP bluescreened simultaneously”

:psyduck:

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

devmd01 posted:

A ticket came in yesterday: “all of the windows 7 machines in AP bluescreened simultaneously”

It's a sign.
Revelations Win:7

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Hot take: Aside from leaving the skin on there's nothing wrong with this.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

devmd01 posted:

Reminds me of this

https://web.archive.org/web/20140518204308/http://it.emory.edu/windows7-incident/

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hahahahaha

quote:

As soon as the accident was discovered, the SCCM server was powered off – however, by that time, the SCCM server itself had been repartitioned and reformatted.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

quote:

We are close to having a more automated process to reimagine computers

Come on, guys, this is not the time.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Agrikk posted:

Whatever it is, put a wedge or two of an onion on a chicken and beef kabob with red and green peppers and some cherry tomatoes and roast that poo poo over open flame. All the kebabs. Do it.

Two slices of good whole grain toasted bread + cheese + a bit of deli mustard + mayo + bacon + a slice of onion = mmmmmmmm

But yes kebabs need onion too!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Onions are bad hth

You are bad hth

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
The snake people extension does graphics now?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Agrikk posted:

You are bad hth

;-*

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Two slices of good whole grain toasted bread + cheese + a bit of deli mustard + mayo + bacon + a slice of onion = mmmmmmmm

But yes kebabs need onion too!

One onion, cut into rings and separated, fried in butter to taste with salt, pepper and possibly herbs.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Onions are nice, but not when other people near you eat them.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
A voice mail came in from the Prince of All Saiyans...

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

MJP posted:

A voice mail came in from the Prince of All Saiyans...

Huh, always thought of Vegeta as more of a Linux guy.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Are you kidding me? With that kind of holier-than-thou attitude, he's obviously a Mac user.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

D. Ebdrup posted:

Are you kidding me? With that kind of holier-than-thou attitude, he's obviously a Mac user.

Yeah, Vegeta is 100% a Mac dude from before Macs became mainstream.

Piccolo is the Linux dude.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Goku uses a Chromebook.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I got someone who tried windows HTTrack to save webpages (idk why really) and didn't take to it. Asked if we knew of any alternatives...So I'd figured I'd ask you all since I know jack about this stuff.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
PM: hey blackswordca we need you to write a powershell script to copy files from a single source to one of six network destinations dependent if the destination folder is empty or not then archive the file in a compressed folder.

Me: uhh I haven't done much with PowerShell, mostly use it to make AD additions or removals. Im not the best person for this.

PM: our normal guy is on vacation so your it. We need it end of day tomorrow. Each day it's not done it costs us $6000 a day in project overages. If you'll excuse me I have another meeting

Guess I'm self teaching myself some ps stuff tonight...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

blackswordca posted:

PM: hey blackswordca we need you to write a powershell script to copy files from a single source to one of six network destinations dependent if the destination folder is empty or not then archive the file in a compressed folder.

Me: uhh I haven't done much with PowerShell, mostly use it to make AD additions or removals. Im not the best person for this.

PM: our normal guy is on vacation so your it. We need it end of day tomorrow. Each day it's not done it costs us $6000 a day in project overages. If you'll excuse me I have another meeting

That is really not something you want to be rolling out yourself in that kind of deadline. Even if you were more familiar with powershell its something with real stakes that I would want to test test test test.

You are either going to put something out that is going to have issues or you are going to fail to produce. I would send an email right now with the cold hard truth to your direct leadership.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 26, 2018

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Sickening posted:

That is really not something you want to be rolling out yourself in that kind of deadline. Even if you were more familiar with powershell its something with real stakes that I would want to test test test test.

RIP.

I agree 100%. I got pulled into this project tuesday. It's already months behind schedule and c levels are breathing down the PMs neck. I'll be chatting with my manager tomorrow. I'll let them know I can probably have something rough but this is something that needed to be looked at weeks ago. Not two days before deadline.

Edit: I can't even properly test it when it's working. I only have access to one server out of the 6 processing boxes and access requests have a 1-2 week lag time on them

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 26, 2018

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

blackswordca posted:

I agree 100%. I got pulled into this project tuesday. It's already months behind schedule and c levels are breathing down the PMs neck. I'll be chatting with my manager tomorrow. I'll let them know I can probably have something rough but this is something that needed to be looked at weeks ago. Not two days before deadline.

Edit: I can't even properly test it when it's working. I only have access to one server out of the 6 processing boxes and access requests have a 1-2 week lag time on them

"I categorically refuse to push a script that hasn't been tested to a production environment. I need expedited access to servers X, Y, Z and W, along with a staging folder made on each server to test the script."

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

blackswordca posted:

I mean, if you want to do that go for it, but if you weren't planning on learning powershell for your own amusement then that's a Work Task for Work Time TBH.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

I mean, if you want to do that go for it, but if you weren't planning on learning powershell for your own amusement then that's a Work Task for Work Time TBH.

Trust me I'm not doing it for free. I'm getting banked time at least for this. Job is very life/work balance friendly.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

blackswordca posted:

Time to outsource to fivr

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Have an it solution implemented to give me time. Instead of everything nicely in one script it's in 6 small bulletproof ones

Weedle
May 31, 2006

blackswordca posted:

Each day it's not done it costs us $6000 a day in project overages.

blackswordca posted:

I only have access to one server out of the 6 processing boxes and access requests have a 1-2 week lag time on them

I am cracking up at this. Boy is your PM’s face gonna be red.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Weedle posted:

I am cracking up at this. Boy is your PM’s face gonna be red.

Ill let you know how it goes. Meeting is first thing in the morning

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I agree with everything said previously, but the task itself isn't overly complex. I assume they mean "If folder A is empty, copy it there, otherwise B if it's empty, otherwise C, etc.."
Here's a bare bones script that does just that, and simply fails if no directories are empty. Could probaby use some better error handling, depending on your needs.

code:
$ErrorActionPreference = "Stop"

$sourceDirectory = "c:\temp\blackswordca\source"
$archiveLocation = "c:\temp\blackswordca\archive.zip"

$destinationDirectories = (
	"c:\temp\blackswordca\folder1",
	"c:\temp\blackswordca\folder2",
	"c:\temp\blackswordca\folder3"
	# etc...
)

# -------------------------------------------------

$sourceContent = Get-ChildItem $sourceDirectory

foreach ($dir in $destinationDirectories) {
	if ((Get-ChildItem $dir).Count -eq 0) {
		Write-Output("Copying $($sourceContent.Count) files to $dir")
		Copy-Item $sourceContent.fullname $dir
		Compress-Archive -DestinationPath $archiveLocation -Path $sourceContent.fullname -Update
		Remove-Item $sourceContent.fullname
		return # ends the script
	}
}
Write-Error "No destination directory available."

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Meeting went ok. Showed them what I had, turns out they forgot to mention some caviets. As for the access somehow the pm strong armed the server admin team to expedite access. Whole project is on hold as the vendor migration tool randomly triplicates database entries. They are investigating internally. Seeing how it's almost 5 pm for them I suspect they are investigating monday.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

We are still using exchange 2010. We're moving to O365 soon, thank goodness, but recently we've been seeing an issue where the Exchange Transport service seems to hang, but not to the extent that windows even realizes anything is wrong and throws an error in the event viewer. The service shows as running, but it's really hung up. Incoming and outgoing mail stop, and nothing weird shows in event viewer until you try to restart the Transport service (which you can't... it just errors out repeatedly. You have to reboot). I think this has happened twice now.

Most recent occurence was yesterday, and it happened at the worst possible time. Now everyone is carrying around torches and pitchforks looking for the IT people, and just today I found that it was again due to MS patching fuckups:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2018/07/16/issue-with-july-updates-for-windows-on-an-exchange-server/

Sometimes I really, really regret this career choice. You guys might have discussed this recently in this threat but I'm a few hundred posts behind. If it's already been mentioned, apologies.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
And now is a good time to push for a revamp of your patching policies and procedures so this doesn’t happen again!

With the right GPOs, WSUS approval groups, and a clearly defined monthly patch testing and rollout schedule it’s pretty straightforward to patch every month and not blow things up, as long as you pay attention to the r/sysadmin patch Tuesday megathread, it’s saved my rear end nearly every month this year.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 27, 2018

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

devmd01 posted:

And now is a good time to push for a revamp of your patching policies and procedures so this doesn’t happen again!

With the right GPOs, WSUS approval groups, and a clearly defined monthly patch teeing and rollout schedule it’s pretty straightforward to patch every month and not blow things up, as long as you pay attention to the r/sysadmin patch Tuesday megathread, it’s saved my rear end nearly every month this year.

Yeah we wait a week even to pilot/test patches just to monitor forums/news for people that patch immediately and run into issues; generally Microsoft will release something within the first week when there's a major issue as well.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Theres this really quirky guy here at my work who asks me for help with some personal tech things. My impression of him is, well I would imagine he lives under a giant marijuana leaf. He rides his bike to work, I assume the bike is also made of hemp. You oughta hear him talk when he is trying to explain things. I dont think he deliberately tries to sound like he knows more than he does, but it just comes off as a giant garbled mess.

quote:

asking for a bit of advice re the above subject line.

I want to soon put lots of "data" into Google Drive from a variety of storage gear pieces. Are there any tips you can offer re doing that process?

Don’t’ want to send the data into the ozone…for evermore, and/or to everyone in the Universe…

I'm assuming just sending it to myself (so to speak) on Google Drive (cut and paste) is one way to do this?
Also, since I have access to DropBox I assume that is an alternative?

Please advise.

Nice guy though. Just hard on the head

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

"I categorically refuse to push a script that hasn't been tested to a production environment. I need expedited access to servers X, Y, Z and W, along with a staging folder made on each server to test the script."

I was pretty lucky about a fortnight ago.
I got asked to cover a meeting whilst my boss was on holiday by my bosses-boss.
Suddenly a project landed on my lap which my boss should have been on top of.
I took one look at it and went "you are going to have issues with X Y if you try and implement that by end of July. The issues you are likely to have are Z and W"
I raised it with bosses-boss that the HR people asking for X and Y were bananas and then there was magically a conference call I wasn't involved in happened and the new plan is to get everything sorted for September which is much more reasonable.

It's pretty cool having a C Level who listens and doesn't just go "well get it done anyway"

I also got a phone call from my boss upon his return who was profusely apologetic because I think he realised they tried to pile a project on me, when really, boss should of had these questions answered before he went away and it would all have been ok.

To be fair, the reason I think it went back so easily and wasn't done in the first place is that it wasn't anywhere near as important as costing 6k per day ha.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Dang every time I load this thread I get a flash of the guy eating an onion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Jaded Burnout posted:

Dang every time I load this thread I get a flash of the guy eating an onion

:same: