Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Happy Birthday to Sir Barrold Bonds, AKA Barry Lamar Bonds, the greatest hitter you may have been lucky enough to see in your lifetime. The title of this thread says it all, but feel free to post your appreciation of The Home Run King.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Fitting that the Tour de France is going on since Barry is also the greatest cyclist who is also the greatest baseball player of all-time.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Barry was so good he didn't even need a bat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwMfT2cZGHg

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Nice

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
REDWOOD CITY - Barry Bonds' ex-wife, breaking down in tears on the witness stand, has claimed he beat her repeatedly during their stormy marriage and kicked her when she was eight months' pregnant.

Testimony by Sun Bonds provided a dramatic start Wednesday to the second phase of the couple's high-stakes divorce trial before San Mateo County Superior Court Judge Judith Kozloksi.

Kozloski has already upheld a 1987 prenuptial agreement in which Barry and Sun Bonds agreed to keep their financial assets separate.

Sun Bonds hopes to show that the behavior of the San Francisco Giants slugger kept her from making a living, a factor that can be considered in setting permanent spousal support.

Under questioning by her attorney, Lawrence Stotter, Sun Bonds described several incidents that depicted one of baseball's highest paid players as an egotistical wife-beater who wanted to control her life.

Sun Bonds, citing an incident she said had happened in 1989 when the couple lived in Pennsylvania, told the judge that her husband had become enraged when she told him she wanted to obtain a cosmetologist license.

"He came after me and pulled me down on the carpet and kicked me while I was on the floor," she said.

At the time, she said, she was pregnant with their now 5-year-old son, Nikolai.

Robert Nachsin, an attorney for Barry Bonds, said in his opening statement that he would discredit Sun Bond's allegations with testimony from witnesses, including household employees.

"Mrs. Bonds felt that the only way she could win in this proceeding was to embarrass Mr. Bonds," Nachsin said.

"We will show Mr. Bonds supported Mrs. Bonds financially and emotionally and paid for her (cosmetology) school. . . . She made the decision after the children were born not to work."

Sun Bonds, a native of Sweden, said that her husband had told her it was her job to be a mother and homemaker and that his own mother had given up a career as a model.

Eventually, Sun Bonds said, she stopped talking about having a cosmetology career, a goal she was pursuing when she met Bonds while working as a Montreal bartender. Bonds was then an up-and-coming player with the Pittsburgh Pirates; today, he is in the third year of a six-year $43 million contract with the Giants.

Sun Bonds described several other alleged fights. After one incident in which she said her husband choked her, she said she had called police - but had not filed a report.

"Barry was this big man that was loving me one minute, and the next minute he was beating me up," she said. "I was scared. I didn't know what he would do after" the police left.

According to court records, Sun Bonds called Atherton police in August 1993, claiming Barry Bonds had hit her and pushed her down some stairs. He claimed she had attacked him. No charges were filed against either party after a review of the case by the district attorney.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
One of my favorite Bonds at bats: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkdgJeqeCxM

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

That is not even close to his best at bat.

This is his best at bat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi7IPZAcP78

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Paul Zuvella posted:

This is his best at bat.

This is the pinnacle. You've reached the point where you are so good you're IBB with bases loaded, that must have been a surreal feeling.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Paul Zuvella posted:

This is his best at bat.

That's pretty good.

There's one out there of him hitting an eephus pitch for a massive dinger but I can't remember who it was against.

holylemon
May 24, 2004

Dude, have you ever touched a dolphin?

Fun Shoe
Is this where we post our favorite Barry Bonds facts? Because my favorite Bonds fact is that he forced his first wife into such an unfair and coercive prenuptial agreement that California passed a law prohibiting prenups unless both parties are represented by counsel and the agreement is explained to both parties in their native language. Thanks Barry!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The stats are mind-boggling- Barry could have been born with no hands, and he'd still be a Hall of Fame abuser.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Thanks for remembering, OP

Cheers to the greatest ballplayer of all time :cheers:

p.s. Babe Ruth sucked, he played against a bunch of farmboys and pitchers throwing 80 mph in a segregated league with like 6 teams in it. Don't make me laugh.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The Pussy Boss posted:

p.s. Babe Ruth sucked, he played against a bunch of farmboys and pitchers throwing 80 mph in a segregated league with like 6 teams in it. Don't make me laugh.

This is why Josh Gibson sucked also, tbh

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Pretty funny watching everyone wring their hands over Roberto Osuna in the News/Views thread while there's a tribute thread to this rear end in a top hat here

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

NiceGuy posted:

Pretty funny watching everyone wring their hands over Roberto Osuna in the News/Views thread while there's a tribute thread to this rear end in a top hat here

A long time ago, an SAS mod told me it was okay to appreciate an athlete for what they did on the field while despising them off the field. That being said, I get why you are mad about Barry, but there's no one making you read this or post in here.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

.609 OBP is maybe my favorite season statistic of all time. It's just so absurd that it tickles me every time I see it.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Putting up an OPS over 1.0 at age 42 is certainly a compelling argument for the long-term benefits of continual steroid usage

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

If the Yankees signed bonds to DH in 2008 they would have won the 2008 AND 2010 world series, prove me wrong

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Being a shitbag and being the greatest baseball player of all time are not mutually exclusive.

It's also pretty illustrative that the vast majority of people who dislike Bonds are content to say "well he did steroids so none of his numbers count" and don't know or don't care about his horrible off-the-field life. Of course, only one of those things disqualifies you from the Hall of Fame.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Paul Zuvella posted:

If the Yankees signed bonds to DH in 2008 they would have won the 2008 AND 2010 world series, prove me wrong

He probably would have got to 800 homers because of the short porch too.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

The Pussy Boss posted:

True Yankees better than Babe:

Tino Martinez
Paul O'Neill
C.C. Sabathia (both as a hitter and pitcher)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

NiceGuy posted:

When Roberto Osuna becomes the greatest ballplayer of all time we'll talk.

Eegah!
Jul 26, 2010

Its really hard to reconcile and you can't discount his lovely behavior. I grew up watching Bonds play and a huge part of my childhood was being amazed by him. I'm just at a point where I recognize he is a gigantic piece of poo poo, but I can't just rip out all of the memories and what it meant to me watching him.

Anyway, I'm going to the game tonight and the number ceremony tomorrow wearing my Bonds jersey and it will be emotional.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

General Dog posted:

When Roberto Osuna becomes the greatest ballplayer of all time we'll talk.

greg maddux never beat anyone except barry bonds

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eegah! posted:

Its really hard to reconcile and you can't discount his lovely behavior. I grew up watching Bonds play and a huge part of my childhood was being amazed by him. I'm just at a point where I recognize he is a gigantic piece of poo poo, but I can't just rip out all of the memories and what it meant to me watching him.

Anyway, I'm going to the game tonight and the number ceremony tomorrow wearing my Bonds jersey and it will be emotional.

Yeah it's weird. I've been a Giants fan since I was a kid and Bonds was my favorite player growing up. Obviously he's not the nicest guy ever but man I have never seen an athlete in any sport with the presence Bonds had at the plate.

Eegah!
Jul 26, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah it's weird. I've been a Giants fan since I was a kid and Bonds was my favorite player growing up. Obviously he's not the nicest guy ever but man I have never seen an athlete in any sport with the presence Bonds had at the plate.

He is a fascinating man when you consider the context he was playing and a lot of his animosity came from how he watched people treat his father. He's just a Wagner type of figure where you can't help but admire a man who has more intentional walks than the Tampa Bay Rays despite his off the field issues.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eegah! posted:

He is a fascinating man when you consider the context he was playing and a lot of his animosity came from how he watched people treat his father. He's just a Wagner type of figure where you can't help but admire a man who has more intentional walks than the Tampa Bay Rays despite his off the field issues.

He had such an aura about him at the height of his dominance. You just knew you were seeing something special when he was at the plate.

Just one of those things like watching Gretzky play where you're not sure you're ever gonna see a player that good again.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Oh my god that game against the Dodgers where he was getting in front of Eric Gagne throwing 101 at him. Who could do that, even against like, a pitching machine.

Eegah!
Jul 26, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

Oh my god that game against the Dodgers where he was getting in front of Eric Gagne throwing 101 at him. Who could do that, even against like, a pitching machine.

Whenever someone tries to concern troll about that era I just send them that at bat. Just absolutely insane the level of talent we got to witness.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

kensei posted:

A long time ago, an SAS mod told me it was okay to appreciate an athlete for what they did on the field while despising them off the field. That being said, I get why you are mad about Barry, but there's no one making you read this or post in here.

No but I do have to read peoples' posts in N/V and gamedays that wax poetic about SIR BARROLD which is tiresome as hell, also sorry but if you're gonna celebrate the man you should celebrate the whole man :colbert:

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
He really should have sued MLB for collusion a decade before Kaepernick. SF and Oakland clearly should have signed him, but really everyone in baseball should have.

Do we collectively believe the "he was clean through '98, and then got super pissed about McGwire and Sosa" myth?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Putting up an OPS over 1.0 at age 42 is certainly a compelling argument for the long-term benefits of continual steroid usage

Yeah but did you hear about how weird his balls got and he couldn't gently caress good either.

Also he beat his pregnant wife so gently caress this Ty Cobb shitbag.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kim Jong Il posted:

He really should have sued MLB for collusion a decade before Kaepernick. SF and Oakland clearly should have signed him, but really everyone in baseball should have.

Do we collectively believe the "he was clean through '98, and then got super pissed about McGwire and Sosa" myth?

I definitely remember reading that the Blue Jays were kicking the tires before mysteriously losing interest. And because they're an AL team, they could have had him be a DH and let whoever they had in LF play there if they were superior defensively, which they probably would have been given Barry's age. Although they ended up using Frank Thomas in that role the previous year and he put up numbers that might have been similar to what Barry at 42/43 would have done, .277/.377/.480 with 26 HR's. Maybe Barry hits more homers and walks more but the Jays probably only win a handful of more games.

I'm not sure when he started using but he was always great even when he was normal sized. Put him in the loving hall.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 13, 2018

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Kim Jong Il posted:

It's honestly hard to say. He went from 34 homers in 99 to 49 in 2000, but in 99 he also only had 434 plate appearances compared to 600+ the next year.

His numbers didn't become video gamey until 2001 with the 73 homers. But his numbers never went from average to absurd. He OPSed 1000+ every year in his 30's, so even before roids he was really good.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

It's honestly hard to say. He went from 34 homers in 99 to 49 in 2000, but in 99 he also only had 434 plate appearances compared to 600+ the next year.

His numbers didn't become video gamey until 2001 with the 73 homers. But his numbers never went from average to absurd. He OPSed 1000+ every year in his 30's, so even before roids he was really good.

Plus he put some insane numbers once he got comfortable in PGH, if you put up 33 HR's and 52 SB now with a '970 OPS and a GG, you'd be the MVP, no question, just like he was then.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

He really should have sued MLB for collusion a decade before Kaepernick.

He did, and he lost, because you need more to win than just "it's super fishy that this guy who can still play wasn't given a contract (and guys who are way worse were)"

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Looks like that was an arbitration, which is almost always not going to work out well for the union. I dunno if they would have made the same paper trail that's possible with today's technology, plus Bush wasn't actively lobbying MLB to blackball him.

Ginette Reno posted:

Just to be clear, I actually have no opinion on whether or not it's true. Generally my rule of thumb is that hitters who got significantly better in their 30s were cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Remember when he let Sid Bream score from 2nd lol

• Locked thread