Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

d0s posted:

I would say 84-99 but word

e: there are plenty of good single screen classic style arcade games, just not many by western devs. arcade games never started emulating console games, that's straight up nonsense, most of those game styles started in arcades. for the entire time arcades were actual, common things they were where innovation happened first and then trickled down into consoles in very cut-down form (unless you're talking about the neo-geo or x68000 or something)

Arcades may have been the innovators but the limitations of the platform were eclipsed by consoles which allowed a slower pacing and more complex mechanics to master. That’s what I mean by emulating console games, when you started getting games like Willow and Black Tiger where the pacing inhibits diving deep into its systems, or at worse, the systems were entirely too simplistic to be worth diving into.

Like Namco’s Yokai Dochuki is a game that really could’ve flourished if designed for consoles. It has obtuse ending conditions, multi tiered levels, and a lot of secrets that encourage exploration. It even has some Alex Kidd as hell mini-games within its stages but overall it is prohibitively balanced. It was made more playable on consoles with sacrifices to the art but it could’ve been a lot more on the level of the NES’ Strider or River City Ransom, a spin-off of Renegade that takes all the simplicity of brawlers with the RPG mechanisms that arcade games couldn’t deliver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
To say Japan was king is dumb. Because Athena exists and it's an rear end in a top hat arcade game that somehow had popularity in spite of being a douchebag. Not GIT GUD like Robotron 2084. It's just an rear end in a top hat like Wizardry 4 or NES Spelunker. (Actually Spelunker NES is more fair than arcade Athena.) Also see Tower of Druaga which is an arcade game version of a text adventure with bad Moon logic puzzles no normal person is gonna figure out especially on a couple quarters/100 yen pieces.

Retro Replay made a point of this with Ghosts n Goblins yesterday. Troy Baker put it in terms of being a kid and either getting a dollar while mom is shopping or maybe even earning a few bucks mowing lawns n poo poo. You put it in GnG. You get like a minute or two before GAME OVER.

Now add in most arcades setting difficulty to max on titles that during the mid 80-90s were already pulling lots of unfair quarter munching crap on you and well? There is a reason the Golden Age is considered to be the same as Pre Crash I think. (And the total non game Dragons Lair was more or less Patient Zero in arcade games getting greedy and giving you the shortest time possible with no real GIT GUD outside of memorizing it. Lots of brawlers got rid of even that chance. Try beating most of them on one play even on default.)

But basically there are good and bad games from every game making region in every era. And while it's fine to have a preference don't be a loving weeb/Europhile/MURRICA type about it.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

al-azad posted:

Arcades may have been the innovators but the limitations of the platform were eclipsed by consoles which allowed a slower pacing and more complex mechanics to master. That’s what I mean by emulating console games, when you started getting games like Willow and Black Tiger where the pacing inhibits diving deep into its systems, or at worse, the systems were entirely too simplistic to be worth diving into.

Like Namco’s Yokai Dochuki is a game that really could’ve flourished if designed for consoles. It has obtuse ending conditions, multi tiered levels, and a lot of secrets that encourage exploration. It even has some Alex Kidd as hell mini-games within its stages but overall it is prohibitively balanced. It was made more playable on consoles with sacrifices to the art but it could’ve been a lot more on the level of the NES’ Strider or River City Ransom, a spin-off of Renegade that takes all the simplicity of brawlers with the RPG mechanisms that arcade games couldn’t deliver.

these examples are a tiny portion of arcade games which mostly stuck to and refined well defined genres, also not everybody wants slow pacing and deep systems in videogames, at least the kind of systems you describe. there is plenty of depth and strategy in well designed arcade action games, just not the kind you're thinking about. if you're playing any of those games by just brute force you will probably not last long

e: shut up captain rufus

d0s fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 27, 2018

al-azad
May 28, 2009

d0s posted:

these examples are a tiny portion of arcade games which mostly stuck to and refined well defined genres

e: shut up captain rufus

I disagree. They defined the genres but the limitations of a medium that demanded your attention for 5 minutes of a time prevented the kind of deep refinement that happened on the home platform.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

al-azad posted:

I disagree. They defined the genres but the limitations of a medium that demanded your attention for 5 minutes of a time prevented the kind of deep refinement that happened on the home platform.

see my edited post. there is plenty of depth to arcade gameplay, it's just a different kind

e: also this is part of why some people don't like western arcade games, the western devs for the most part didn't really understand the sort of metagame of arcade action games and the games were not fun or interesting to play repeatedly

d0s fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 27, 2018

al-azad
May 28, 2009

d0s posted:

see my edited post. there is plenty of depth to arcade gameplay, it's just a different kind

I don’t know what different kind you’re referring to. There are certainly post-85 arcade games that reward skillful play by elevating the experience to another level (like Splatterhouse) but the core gameplay must allow for the interactions a player expects from them.

It’s why I have a lot of respect for shooters, a genre that allows brute force but greatly rewards skillful play despite repeating the same challenges. I can’t say the same for the first couple years of brawlers, a genre reliant on attractive graphics until they became robust enough to offer more options than punch and kick.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

GutBomb posted:

My GDEMU clone and SD2SNES, both from JackDIY arrived today and they both work great. Firmware can be updated to the latest on the SD2SNES and SuperFX games work perfectly. GDEMU clone works great too. Shipping took 13 days from China but the GDEMU clone was $100 and the SD2SNES was $115. That’s $30 cheaper for the GDEMU and nearly $100 cheaper for the SD2SNES.

Definitely gonna get me a GDEmu clone. I’d like to buy a real one but the dude that makes them is a doofus with a victim complex. Just let me buy your poo poo gdi

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The crux of my argument is that once I was a fool who slept on Mappy. Now that my eyes are open I have to repent for years of foolishness.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

al-azad posted:

I don’t know what different kind you’re referring to. There are certainly post-85 arcade games that reward skillful play by elevating the experience to another level (like Splatterhouse) but the core gameplay must allow for the interactions a player expects from them.

It’s why I have a lot of respect for shooters, a genre that allows brute force but greatly rewards skillful play despite repeating the same challenges. I can’t say the same for the first couple years of brawlers, a genre reliant on attractive graphics until they became robust enough to offer more options than punch and kick.

yeah early beatemups aren't great but so are early examples of most genres? by the late 80's most arcade genres (and there really aren't many) were refined enough for their "big" games (and a whole lot of lesser known ones) to be fun without adding RPG systems or whatever and still remaining fast paced. sure, on consoles you could play around with genres a lot more because the user has a lot more time but I'm not sure one style is objectively better than the other, it's just different. you can spend a lot of time at home getting immersed in a game's world and systems or you can spend a lot of time in an arcade focusing on a more pure skill based thing.

yeah, there have been attempts to move console style gameplay to arcades but to me at least it just doesn't work, of course because the nature of arcade games is quick action for a short period of time. I'm not saying it's something everyone should enjoy, as history has shown the vast majority of people don't enjoy it and prefer the console experience.

al-azad posted:

I don’t know what different kind you’re referring to.

re this specifically: I am talking about systems that naturally work for arcade style gameplay, that exactly don't feel shorehorned in from console games, that work with the limitations. pretty much: scoring systems, rank systems, combo systems, etc. this stuff adds depth without any necessity for long playtimes. it's simplistic stuff yes but the soul of arcade games is simplicity. if you find yourself playing most well known arcade games and finding it boring then it's probably just not your thing. I find most games with any story boring, but I'm not going to suggest that the next elder scrolls game should be more like r-type

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Depth has to arrive from the interaction with the game’s mechanics. Simplicity is a good thing, but a deep game knows how to layer new challenges without subtracting from the core gameplay loop.

The best games, like shooters, maintained that purity. The ones I don’t like, the ones I really feel sprung up around 87 to early 90s, rely on setpieces over strong gameplay. They don’t really hold up under scrutiny because there’s not much there.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

al-azad posted:

The best games, like shooters, maintained that purity. The ones I don’t like, the ones I really feel sprung up around 87 to early 90s, rely on setpieces over strong gameplay. They don’t really hold up under scrutiny because there’s not much there.

can you name specific examples?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Null of Undefined posted:

Definitely gonna get me a GDEmu clone. I’d like to buy a real one but the dude that makes them is a doofus with a victim complex. Just let me buy your poo poo gdi

That’s the main reason why I went with the clone. It was either check the dude’s blog every day and hope the short window it’s available is a time when I can log in and hope that I get a chance before the window closes or just get a clone.

He blames the mass production of the everdrive for the everdrive clones rather than just realizing that China clones everything.

Bring on the rhea/phoebe clones, I say.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

d0s posted:

can you name specific examples?

Phone posting so I'll go into detail later, but right off the top of my head I dislike the RPG platformer movement like Rastan then moving on to Cadash and Astyanax. I think it was someone in this thread years ago who said item shops ruined arcade SHMUPS and it's a sentiment I think applies to other genres like Double Dragon 3's real money item shop.

Games from the era I really like blended genres together like Gain Ground, Rampart, and Rod Land.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

All New Sonic posted:

The pin is there, you can see the shiny edge on top of the (now deformed) pin below it. It looks like it wasn't seated in the connector properly and got pushed in when the connector was attached to the PCB. That probably means the other pin wasn't making proper contact, either.

I thought that too when I looked at the picture before posting, and rechecked. But it's some weird trick of the lens; I don't know if it's just like, reflecting off the back or what, but there is legit one pin on the bottom and nothing up top. You can see a point where it would've torn. I mean, same outcome either way, but yeah, for a second I was like "Maybe I can bend that back into place," but there's nothing to bend.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Null of Undefined posted:

If you were on discord you would know I’m selling my legit one in a few weeks with a bunch of other stuff. Cost of GDEMU + shipping, I prefer my usb gdrom

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

flyboi posted:

If you were on discord you would know I’m selling my legit one in a few weeks with a bunch of other stuff. Cost of GDEMU + shipping, I prefer my usb gdrom

I am on discord but chronically ignore it. Prepare for dm.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

al-azad posted:

Phone posting so I'll go into detail later, but right off the top of my head I dislike the RPG platformer movement like Rastan then moving on to Cadash and Astyanax. I think it was someone in this thread years ago who said item shops ruined arcade SHMUPS and it's a sentiment I think applies to other genres like Double Dragon 3's real money item shop.

Rastan and Astyanax are pure action games, though?

I love the "action game with item shop" arcade era, mapping out an upgrade path through a single-session game is fun in a completely different way to steadily enhancing a character over multiple hours.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

al-azad posted:

Games from the era I really like blended genres together like Gain Ground, Rampart, and Rod Land.

ok I think we pretty much agree on what makes a good arcade game, I just feel like the things we agree are bad are in a small percentage of arcade games (even during the time you specified). what you describe wasn't exactly rampant and balls-and-sticks arcade games stayed mostly arcadey to the end imo

d0s fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 28, 2018

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Rastan and Astyanax are pure action games, though?

I love the "action game with item shop" arcade era, mapping out an upgrade path through a single-session game is fun in a completely different way to steadily enhancing a character over multiple hours.

I can't shake the feeling that upgrade shops compromise the design by putting too much leverage on certain items. Fantasy Zone is kind of a stand out because the entire game is basically centered around upgrades. There's definitely a frustration factor to losing everything but tearing through levels fully upgraded is the best feeling in gaming.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

flyboi posted:

Just curious, why do you like the usb gdrom over the gdemu?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Bonobos posted:

Just curious, why do you like the usb gdrom over the gdemu?

Laziness mostly, I have a large thumb drive in the usb gdrom which lets me keep all the games without having to shrink or do anything, just drag & drop. Getting games to fit on the gdemu is a little more challenging due to less space.. You can shrink the newer gdrom rips to save space but you still need an app to manually load everything over due to it having a special folder structure.

While the menu is nicer I just don't have the willpower to get a SD card and redo what I already have done.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TVs Ian posted:

Am I the only one that likes modern emulators' CRT filters?

Not the stuff like just scanlines or blur, I mean like MAME's hlsl modes or Retroarch's multipass CRT filters. Screen geometry, simulated phosphors, glow, shadow masks, and I'm pretty sure the MAME one even has a simulated highlight on the "curve."
I just got RetroArch because of this post and I'm kind of overwhelmed by all the options. Tried the VHS mode and it had dot-crawl as well as the screen-rolling and it really brought me back.

I was impressed that one of the CRT modes made the text in FF3 look 'right'. If you run it in the SNES Mini, there's little pixel greebles next to the letters once they fade in (during the walking mech intro) which don't look right in HD. But with the CRT filter it looked nice and smooth.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
On display at California Extreme:

https://twitter.com/stevenplin/status/1023260799291162624

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Holy poo poo that rules. I wanna see what it looks like inside.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I’m here at the show, although I’m currently getting lunch with the missus. I’ll try to take some shots. I did get a chance to play this tabletop earlier, and ended up liking the sticks more than I thought:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Dance Dance Revolution ACE came out in 2016, so i'd say we're still in the golden age of arcade games

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Shot of Starlords in action:

https://twitter.com/MikeJMika/status/1023406332613775360

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I got a shot of this as well in my Live video, but here’s my Facebook Live of the main floor (apologies for when the camera does stupid poo poo eventually)

https://www.facebook.com/paulstreifel/videos/10214092506598972/

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Is Legendary Wings a good shmup or a bad shmup?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

cosmicjim posted:

Is Legendary Wings a good shmup or a bad shmup?
It gets tedious.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

It gets tedious.

yep

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The worst example ever of this kind of game has to be Legend of Makai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IC8jyMYSd0

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

For the most part I’ve missed this hobby. My level of involvement In this hobby didn’t mesh with what my wife wants in life. She actively dislikes fun. It’s tough for me to do anything moderately in a way that isn’t invasive on the rest of my life. We’ve pretty much moved to a small lake cabin that doesn’t have room for my stuff. It’s pretty sad. I have my Nintendo AVS here, but it’s hooked up to a big screen LCD with bad delay. I need to finish selling off my “non-essentials” but I have so much stuff it’s tedious.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

cosmicjim posted:

My level of involvement In this hobby didn’t mesh with what my wife wants in life. She actively dislikes fun. It’s tough for me to do anything moderately in a way that isn’t invasive on the rest of my life. We’ve pretty much moved to a small lake cabin that doesn’t have room for my stuff. It’s pretty sad.

Sounds like a great marriage.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

GutBomb posted:

Sounds like a great marriage.

18 years of bliss.
Honestly it seems the same as every long term marriage I see. The only other long term marriages I see are when the husband’s hobby is watching sports or hunting/fishing/golf. That’s being cynical with a dash of hyperbole, but.... well this just kind of fizzled. I don’t know where I was going with this. I’m probably going to sell my Nintendo power collection next. Probably over 200 issues. Probably too bulky to be worth shipping.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Got something cool last week, finally got it setup:

They aren't lying in the screenshots about the rainbow color that's for sure, this device is positively riotous in use of color onscreen.

Bonus shot from a different store:

An interesting method of handling a hosed up controller port.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Has anyone tried to install the component(ypbpr) chip onto a nes or atari rgb install? I'm having trouble getting it to work for some reason :(

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

BATTERY ELIMINATOR

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

cosmicjim posted:

18 years of bliss.
Honestly it seems the same as every long term marriage I see. The only other long term marriages I see are when the husband’s hobby is watching sports or hunting/fishing/golf. That’s being cynical with a dash of hyperbole, but.... well this just kind of fizzled. I don’t know where I was going with this. I’m probably going to sell my Nintendo power collection next. Probably over 200 issues. Probably too bulky to be worth shipping.

I truly am sorry for what you are going through, this truly sounds depressing like hell. If you do decide to ship I know at least I would be interested in your collection. Probably lots of other people here as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

It’s not as bad as it sounds. I’m happy and have an amazing life. My wife doesn’t share any of the same hobbies except for “music” and “watching the tv.” That is pretty much the extent of it. My hobbies weren’t a problem when the cabin was a summer weekend place, but living here there’s no room for my stuff AND her stuff.

As for shipping 200 magazines, that seems like it would cost $50-100 just for the shipping, I don’t really want to break them up.