Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The House That Jack Built
Directed by Lars von Trier
Starring Matt Dillon, Uma Thurman, Bruno Ganz, Riley Keough, and Jeremy Davies
Release date October 17, 2018

IMDB posted:

USA in the 1970s. We follow the highly intelligent Jack over a span of 12 years and are introduced to the murders that define Jack's development as a serial killer. We experience the story from Jack's point of view, while he postulates each murder is an artwork in itself. As the inevitable police intervention is drawing nearer, he is taking greater and greater risks in his attempt to create the ultimate artwork. Along the way we experience Jack's descriptions of his personal condition, problems and thoughts through a recurring conversation with the unknown Verge - a grotesque mixture of sophistry mixed with an almost childlike self-pity and psychopathic explanations. The House That Jack Built is a dark and sinister story, yet presented through a philosophical and occasional humorous tale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA0pI_k-Dmo

I'm excited for this. Love him or hate him, Lars von Trier makes unforgettable movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'll always turn up for whatever this abhorrent shithead makes, talk about a guilty pleasure.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I am loving hyped for this movie, but every time I see the title, I can't help but think of this old house track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NSn5RfxoXs

DJs would play this monologue over house tracks, and eventually it got pressed onto vinyl over a couple of different beats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts8iBs3tpmw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJPYPu4fjZs

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

also, I'm loving that poster.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

ruddiger posted:

also, I'm loving that poster.

I'm just glad to see a re-staging of a famous piece of art that isn't The Last Supper.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
Antichrist is one of my all-time favorite movies, looking forward to being the guy that gets dirty looks for laughing in the theater.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

china bot posted:

Antichrist is one of my all-time favorite movies, looking forward to being the guy that gets dirty looks for laughing in the theater.

Glad i'm not the only one who laughed at charlotte gainsborough smashing willem dafoe's penis and then making him cum blood

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Astrochicken posted:

Glad i'm not the only one who laughed at charlotte gainsborough smashing willem dafoe's penis and then making him cum blood

Wait, you're saying some people didn't find that hilarious?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I'm soft on the trailer, but Matt Dillon is killing it

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

K. Waste posted:

I'm soft on the trailer, but Matt Dillon is killing it

Them. He's killing them.

Joakim Brecht
Aug 20, 2013

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'll always turn up for whatever this abhorrent shithead makes, talk about a guilty pleasure.
Why do you consider him a shithead? Genuinely asking.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Joakim Brecht posted:

Why do you consider him a shithead? Genuinely asking.

He was an abusive sex-pest to Bjork while shooting Dancer in the Dark.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/bjork-manager-accuses-lars-von-trier-verbal-physical-abuse-2153243

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
He’s also just an all-around juvenile misanthropic dipstick, which is obviously a big part of what makes his movies so much fun, but it certainly doesn’t make him a particularly likable person (see also Gilliam and Haneke).

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

They've released a series of... interesting posters:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Spatulater bro! posted:

They've released a series of... interesting posters:

They should have him contorted to be sucking his own dick

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
This movie looks rough. I can't wait.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
This is screening mid-October for a film festival and I'm kind of excited for a Von Trier film, maybe? Also, holy poo poo, it's 155 minutes.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That's not a totally extreme runtime for him. Dogville was close to three hours (not to mention the Nympho movies, if you add them up.)

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

I, Butthole posted:

This is screening mid-October for a film festival and I'm kind of excited for a Von Trier film, maybe? Also, holy poo poo, it's 155 minutes.

Where do you see where it's screening?

I never even knew about this movie either, I love both Von Trier movies AND serial killer movies!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Here's the whole release schedule: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4003440/releaseinfo

28th of December here in the US, which means nothing to me because I'm sure it's not going to come out anywhere near me.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Caught this last night. Had a handful of walkouts but not as many as I thought. Good mix of awkward laughter and stunned silence throughout. Loved the ending. Went home and listened to some Bowie.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

How about the rest of the movie?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Teenage Fansub posted:

How about the rest of the movie?

I haven't seen a ton of Lars von Trier but I found Antichrist to be the more effective and disturbing portrait of ultraviolence. HTJB is definitely a more outright (black) comedy which is balanced out by plenty of visceral gore and occasional digressions into Jack's thoughts about art, architecture, hunting and psychopathy which I found pretty fascinating. The ending is something I think only LVT can pull off.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1057663487227367424

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Oh, wow, my birthday

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Interesting. Hopefully my drafthouse gets in on the November 28 action.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

Thanks for posting this. I now have a ticket to a director's cut showing :yotj:

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

This is currently sitting at a 58% on Rotten Tomatoes. The reviews are making me even more excited for it, including the negative ones. von Trier is a critic-proof director for me.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Saw the director’s cut tonight and it was a lot more of a dark comedy than I was expecting but that’s not a problem at all. Fantastic film.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Just got out of the director's cut and

General Dog posted:

They should have him contorted to be sucking his own dick

... thought right back to the poster when they did a montage of some of his movies :jerkbag:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's debuting at a movie marathon here in Auckland, New Zealand in a couple of weeks. No idea what version it'll be.
It's probably whatever one Umbrella are releasing in Australia, if anyone knows.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

air- posted:

Just got out of the director's cut and

... thought right back to the poster when they did a montage of some of his movies :jerkbag:

Only LVT could have pulled that poo poo off :pusheen:

Bravo.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I hate that I missed the DC last night. It was playing in one theater here but I couldn't make it. There's no way I'm seeing the edited version. This'll be a Blu-ray watch for me.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I def will see this even though I thought Nymphomaniac was overwrought overblown poo poo. I liked Antichrist but I do think he peaked with Melancholia, one of my all-time favorite films which was probably his most personal project and an incredible window into depression. Matt Dillon's really underrated and hearing "Fame" in the trailer makes me believe this is more of a darkly comedic venture so I'm cautiously enthused. My fill of weird-rear end melancholic movies has been satiated by Yorgos Lanthimos the past 2 years so it's nice to see von Trier finally finished this one.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

more of a darkly comedic venture so I'm cautiously enthused. My fill of weird-rear end melancholic movies has been satiated by Yorgos Lanthimos the past 2 years so it's nice to see von Trier finally finished this one.

I agree that's the general feeling of this movie. Though I feel like Yorgos Lanthimos in general does a better job on the dark comedy/melancholy vibes. The Favourite seems to be getting a lot of rave reviews as well.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I was extremely happy that the poster image in the OP actually shows up as an actual scene in the movie.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

Tumble posted:

This movie looks rough. I can't wait.

The trailers made it look like a nonstop gore fest but it ended up being oddly laid back at times and consistently beautiful (if you can at times separate out the physical acts on screen, which wasn't too hard as the victims are all just kind of faceless people we have next to no connection to). Also full of interesting monologues about art, creation, humanity, and pretty pointed criticisms of America. What a mindfuck. I loved it.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

warez posted:

(if you can at times separate out the physical acts on screen, which wasn't too hard as the victims are all just kind of faceless people we have next to no connection to)

After having the movie sit for a few days now, that makes so much more sense plus the overall approach to filmmaking, then think of both of those with how the movie goes into grapes and rotting, making wine

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

For those who have seen it how actually disturbing or gross is this.

On a scale of Poltergeist to Cannibal Holocaust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Not quite on the level of Cannibal Holocaust or something like Martyrs. Definitely more hosed up than Raw if that helps you any.