Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Alvarez is really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

spb posted:

Alvarez is really good

no doubt, but i think dustin is a bad match up for him

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

spb posted:

Alvarez is really good

He’s my boy. If Dustin chases a finish after hurting him or Eddie comes in looking as composed and relaxed as he did against Gaethje, it’ll turn into a really bad night for Poirier.

Skip My Posts posted:

no doubt, but i think dustin is a bad match up for him

He is.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Skip My Posts posted:

is stephens the favorite? thats a sick fight

mild underdog

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

The Black Beast should get a job in the Department of Energy or something. He turns words gold on the daily.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Skip My Posts posted:

is stephens the favorite? thats a sick fight

It's close but looks like Stephens is the slight favorite right now

E: Depends where you look. Some books have Aldo as the slight favorite or both as minus

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
stephens is dangerous

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I still can't believe how good Connor looked against Eddie. Like I really wanted Eddie to win and thought he might and Connor ended up looking like a punch out boss.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Alvarez is a loving savage, but he's always been a dude who leaves himself a little too open, and Poirier is the best in the division (unless Conor ever comes back, I guess) at exploiting those openings. He was tooling Eddie up in the first fight until he got wild, and he's been much more controlled since, while Eddie Alvarez is still fighting like Eddie Alvarez. I think Poirier takes him out within three rounds.

I am a weird mix of excited and nervous to see Aldo fighting a non-championship fight for the first time in eighty years. I hope he's still got it.

edit:

The Dave posted:

I still can't believe how good Connor looked against Eddie. Like I really wanted Eddie to win and thought he might and Connor ended up looking like a punch out boss.

Conor is, like, the worst conceivable matchup for Eddie. Eddie's biggest strength is his ability to drag people into brawls and Conor's one of the best counterfighters in MMA, he never had a chance.

CarlCX fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 28, 2018

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I almost drove out to Calgary for this but it's literally the only weekend this entire summer that I need to stay around the house. Oh well.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

The Dave posted:

Yeah. Conor has some insane wins.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Crazy that Aldo isn't a clear favourite over Jeremy Stephens. That'd be an odd thing to explain to someone just a couple of years ago.

CarlCX posted:

nah, she got the absolute gently caress beat out of her by Joanna but she's still top 10 and she just lost a super-close split decision to Gadelha where she almost knocked her out, she's doing fine

I've rewatched that Joanna fight so many times, and I can't think of another fight where there was such terror on a fighter's face. It's amazing.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

The Dave posted:

Eddie's style was tailor made to make Conor look good.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Eddie loves to eat left straights and left uppercuts, and he said he completely abandonned his gameplan for the connor fight (move to connor's right, try to get in on his legs)

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

mate sent me a tweet saying all 26 fighters are g2g. that's something. actually really keen for it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Eddie also fights best with his back against the fence and his ringcraft there is really good in comparison to most MMA fighters and Conor pointedly refused to push him toward the fence and tried his best to avoid engaging for long there.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Calgary fighter Hakeem Dawodu is rumored to have peed on a girl I went to high school with.

And by rumored, I mean that's what a dude who went to jr high with him told me. Important fighter news.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

david carmichael posted:

Eddie loves to eat left straights and left uppercuts, and he said he completely abandonned his gameplan for the connor fight (move to connor's right, try to get in on his legs)

I’ve watched that fight a few times and you can clearly see the moment he abandons the gameplan. It happens in the first minute or two. He goes from leg kicking and going away from the left, to not leg kicking, circling into Conor’s left, and lunging in behind his right with no set up at all to get brutally countered.

As far as I can tell Conor didn’t do anything to force him to do it, he just kind of starts doing that for no reason like Conor hypnotized him or something.

Maybe Conor picked up hypnosis after falling victim to Diaz Hypnosis in the first fight with Nate.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 28, 2018

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

thinkin about the duncan post of Conor being the first known case of person to person Stockton Social Anxiety.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Snowman_McK posted:

I've rewatched that Joanna fight so many times, and I can't think of another fight where there was such terror on a fighter's face. It's amazing.

edit:

I love those fights.

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 28, 2018

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Louisiana trailer park vs philly projects oh hell ya baby

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Here's a good warmup for your ears for tonight's main event. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiI4_DmFs_A

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Anderson made a lot of world beaters look completely lost.

The most pure desperation i’ve ever seen in the cage was Bader/Rumble.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Nice! posted:

Anderson made a lot of world beaters look completely lost.

The most pure desperation i’ve ever seen in the cage was Bader/Rumble.

Nah, its def Khabib vs Trujillo

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Byolante posted:

Nah, its def Khabib vs Trujillo

I completely forgot about that. Is it still the record for most takedowns in a single fight?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Kimbo vs Dada had a ton of desperation. Both men were fighting for their lives.

Malcolm Excellent fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 28, 2018

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

Le Saboteur posted:

Here's a good warmup for your ears for tonight's main event. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiI4_DmFs_A

http://youtubedoubler.com/p0R7

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Le Saboteur posted:

That poor dolphin :smith:

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Ruan Potts vs Derrick Lewis where Potts says something like "I'm hosed" between rounds

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Anyone doing a GDT for Calgary?

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
lookin for a juicy joanna loss tonight

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Double tap to the body and DEAD

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

here's a thread i made https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3864439

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
In case anyone missed it from fight pass prelims:
https://streamja.com/k2eQ

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

I completely forgot about that. Is it still the record for most takedowns in a single fight?

It's the most in a three rounder by some ridiculous margin. It's the most in any UFC fight by a less ridiculous margin.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

ccubed posted:

In case anyone missed it from fight pass prelims:
https://streamja.com/k2eQ

Is Cormier giggling there at a dude's insides getting destroyed lol

i can still taste him
Feb 16, 2003
Buglord

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Is Cormier giggling there at a dude's insides getting destroyed lol

He absolutely is, and it was awesome.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
So happy for aldo

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

david carmichael posted:

That what happens when you get hurt right at the start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Everybody Hurts.

• Locked thread