Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
https://twitter.com/GlowNetflix/status/1017894835074695168

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
I had heard about this show on NPR around the release of season 2 and was really interested in it. I'm not a big wrestling fan but I've read Mick Foley's two autobiographies and think the behind the scenes stuff is really fun and fascinating. Unfortunately I missed the name of the show on the radio bit, but I spotted the screensaver ad Netflix had pushed to our Roku last week and holy crap I love this show! I'm kinda sad the seasons are so short but the format does work for the show pretty well.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > GLOW | Season 2 - Is that a Russian on a zipline?

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Interesting. I have yet to find anyone else who watches it. I thought it was one of those shows with an audience of TV critics and wannabe TV critics

Why do you hate women?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/OriginalFunko/status/1019251384967946240

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

you can preorder them here: http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/77190

like i did. Now wheres my Sheila and Welfare Queen two-pack.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Killing Loaf posted:

I'm not a big wrestling fan but I've read Mick Foley's two autobiographies and think the behind the scenes stuff is really fun and fascinating.[/spoiler]

Foley wrote two more autobiographies, but they aren't very good.

In terms of books about how the backstage aspects of wrestling are a fascinating trainwreck, I absolutely recommend Death of WCW.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Agreed. Death of WCW is a fascinating, hilarious read. I don't think I've ever read another book quite that cheeky but yeah, if you're into this stuff you should check it out.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Death of WCW: Revised and Expanded is one of the greatest nonfiction comedies ever written, even if you've never watched a single wrestling match in your life.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gavok posted:

Foley wrote two more autobiographies, but they aren't very good.

I loved Foley's first book about wrestling, and The Rock's (first?) book was also a good read.

But they're not very juicy as far as Inside Baseball type stuff. For that you wanna watch Beyond the Mat or any of a half dozen other docs out there.

The world of professional wrestling is wonderful and amazing and terrifying and awful and weird and I love it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Lmao at that secret Chinese cure for constipation.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Anyone else watch the documentary about the real Glow show?( Also on Netflix)

I don't remember the show airing in my area. Though at the time my cabel company was quite crappy.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I saw the doc and it was fantastic. I was way too young to catch the ladies on the television though. Also almost certainly in the wrong media market.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Shout! Factory TV has some GLOW stuff.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Propaganda Machine posted:

I saw the doc and it was fantastic. I was way too young to catch the ladies on the television though. Also almost certainly in the wrong media market.

Yeah I brought it up a few pages ago but if they don't end the series with some version of that reunion they dumb.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
MACHU PICCU :smith:

Yeah, they need to dramatize that reunion. It's just too good.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

If it does follow the doc, which one of the ladies do you think would successfully transition to a pro wrestler?

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

Davros1 posted:

If it does follow the doc, which one of the ladies do you think would successfully transition to a pro wrestler?

Probably either Cherry due to her athleticism, or Carmen due to being part of a wrestling family. Either Rhonda or Melanie seem like they might end up doing adult features, as at least one original GLOW girl did.

Also, yeah, Sylvester Stallone's mom Jackie was brought in after they sold syndication to several markets. She was pitching a line of women's only gyms at the time, and later formed a psychic hotline (go figure.) Her role was the leader to the "Good Girls," while a stereotypical obnoxious overweight blond woman named Aunt Kitty was the leader of the Bad Girls.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Propaganda Machine posted:

MACHU PICCU :smith:

Yeah, they need to dramatize that reunion. It's just too good.

That's a series finale for sure but this is one instance where I would be glad of some Hollwood bullshit gloss over the true state of affairs as I don't think my heart could take Machu Pichu in old lady make up bedridden in a lovely nursing home.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'd really like to see if her knee surgery turned out good and made her able to walk again. Hell of a way to end the documentary.

e: Oh gently caress me she died this year, in January. :smith:

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 25, 2018

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Interesting. I have yet to find anyone else who watches it. I thought it was one of those shows with an audience of TV critics and wannabe TV critics

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Why do you hate women?

No, it should be: Why do you hate awesome/fun? :argh:

Just finished S2. My biggest complain: No Aubrey Plaza, as I had hoped since the first thread/S1 :smith:

Second biggest complaint: It seemed like they stopped giving more room to each actress to do their stuff, and instead coalesced it all into "team time".

Most unsettling was when Ruth goes see the executive at the bungalow. For a moment I felt relief when I saw Glenn, but then he left and I thought "Jesus, if I'm feeling dread, then Ruth must be feeling loving terrible". :gonk:

Glad to see the Grannies become the Toxic Twins. And good for Beirut/Latina Junkchain becoming a couple. :unsmith:

And then they finish the season with my most favorite 80's love song.

It was a nice surprise to see how they handled Bash: I had thought they would reveal him as gay, given what we saw of him and his butler in S1, but since I already had misjudged Sam and Justine's relationship I payed extra attention this time.

So it turns Bash might be Not gay, just not conventionally manly, and he totally didn't realize that his butler/childhood friend had feelings for him. And when he died of AIDS it was handled in an appropiate way for the time. So it makes sense that that spurred him on to tell Britannica about his feelings, realizing that he didn't want to end up as his friend, keeping his feelings bottled up forever.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Bash is gay. He does not feelings for Britannica, that was for show.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Lycus posted:

Bash is gay. He does not feelings for Britannica, that was for show.

I just read the loving article about that from a previous page.

*Best Sam voice impression*: Well, poo poo.

Guess this time I was defeated by my own brain. Or some black magic!

Edit: I do think that he was right that Britannica should marry with a friend she knew instead of a stranger. Like, how come she didn't ask Sam for it? He probably would've been okay with it since they both knew it was just for the green card and the show.

Kal-L fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jul 25, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Kal-L posted:

I just read the loving article about that from a previous page.

*Best Sam voice impression*: Well, poo poo.

Guess this time I was defeated by my own brain. Or some black magic!

You are (surprisingly, to me) not the only person to read the Bash stuff that way, or at least as him not being gay. Not even the only person in this thread!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If he was really in love with Britannica, you'd think they'd be makin' out backstage, not going "So, uh, you wanna back out of this thing?"

I did think it was weird that she didn't try asking Sam or Bash before almost marrying the possibly-dangerous stalker.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jul 25, 2018

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

esperterra posted:

You are (surprisingly, to me) not the only person to read the Bash stuff that way, or at least as him not being gay. Not even the only person in this thread!

Maybe, surprisingly, there are people who don't identify as full Hetero/Homosexual, and can get different readings from a character.

Like, even after that article, I think there's some wiggle room for Bash to realize he's Bisexual or whatever. That's what a third season would be good for. :wink:

Lycus posted:

If he was really in love with Britannica, you'd think they'd be makin' out backstage, not going "So, uh, you wanna back out of this thing?"

The one who brought it up was her, probably thinking that Bash was trying to save her from one of her perverts fans.

I still saw Bash as somewhat on the fence, or it may be that he's projecting his feelings for Carmen on Britannica.

Again, I like that this show about women wrestlers has this much nuance. I really do hope there's a third season.

Kal-L fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jul 25, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I wasn't trying to throw shade or anything lol. It just surprised me to see people read it any other way, for me it felt obvious they were setting it up even in season one.

People can read poo poo however they're going to read it, though.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

esperterra posted:

I wasn't trying to throw shade or anything lol. It just surprised me to see people read it any other way, for me it felt obvious they were setting it up even in season one.

People can read poo poo however they're going to read it, though.

Well, that's what fanfiction is for.

So, I'm thinking of "With love, from Britain" for a working title. A tale of psychosexual discovery and horror. Lots of blood, and crack, and titties. :v:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Excellent. How many awkwardly inserted original characters will it have?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aside from how well the role was acted, the Welfare Queen heel character is such a great ridiculous wrestling heel in the tradition of insane heels. Remember when Sgt. Slaughter sided with Iraq during the first Gulf War? Last year, one of the hottest in this small indie promotion was a dude who played a progressive liberal and just got tons of heat.

I know the stereotype of the white trash redneck racist wrestling fan is overgeneralized, I know that plenty of PoCs love wrestling too but picking a heel character transparently intended to troll a portion of the audience is part of the hacky carnie bullshit that makes wrestling so entertaining.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

zoux posted:

Aside from how well the role was acted, the Welfare Queen heel character is such a great ridiculous wrestling heel in the tradition of insane heels. Remember when Sgt. Slaughter sided with Iraq during the first Gulf War? Last year, one of the hottest in this small indie promotion was a dude who played a progressive liberal and just got tons of heat.

I know the stereotype of the white trash redneck racist wrestling fan is overgeneralized, I know that plenty of PoCs love wrestling too but picking a heel character transparently intended to troll a portion of the audience is part of the hacky carnie bullshit that makes wrestling so entertaining.

A liberal stereotype heel character should've had a man bun and toe shoes and come into the ring on a fixie bicycle. How finisher could be waterboarding the other wrestler with kombucha.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l7mcvNiXIA
Not quite the full 9 yards, but CJ Parker was pretty close.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Parker was a great heel, and glad he’s having some success outside of NXT.

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth

Your Taint posted:

Underrated line of the season

Bash: "I can't afford for any more girls to get injured!"

(whispers to Sam) "I can afford for TWO more girls getting injured"

“What is a woman without a child? Just a person.”

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
How were they going to play out that kidnapping subplot exactly? Bribe the same girl into coming back so they could use her as a prop, like they did with the superfan at the wedding?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Panfilo posted:

How were they going to play out that kidnapping subplot exactly? Bribe the same girl into coming back so they could use her as a prop, like they did with the superfan at the wedding?

She did come back, though.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EL BROMANCE posted:

Parker was a great heel, and glad he’s having some success outside of NXT.

He’s amazing as Juice in NJPW, well worth looking him up. You really feel for the guy and when he wins it feels like a big achievement.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
They got their official renewal for season 3. No word on when it will air.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
This season felt like it had a quick turnaround. Hopefully they can do it again because this show is my favorite drug.

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
Loved season 2, I just wish the seasons were longer as I burned through it so quickly! I really hope Sam and Ruth don't get together. I really liked the arc with Sam and his daughter.

Still love Britannica too, I am a long time Kate Nash fan as she is just too cool and nothing beats seeing her live and singing 'dickhead' in a crowd, anythingthat gives her more airtime is a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I think the writers are smart enough either never to do that, or else to treat a momentary tryst as a horrible mistake.

• Locked thread