Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I wish I didn't have PTSD from several shareholder decisions destroying or hallowing out multiple VERY promising and noteworthy companies, but here we are.

Obviously panicking is not what we should be doing- I myself said that it will be possibly years before the true impacts are felt. It's just the reality of a company that switches from corporate control to shareholder control. They inherently have different values and desires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Peachfart posted:

I think you are panicking a bit much, Costco is still amazing. I will worry when they stop paying well or they jack the prices way upward.

They don't pay that well, for what type of cult loyalty they expect. I worked for CostCo during and right-after high school for about a year. They'd want everyone to a) clock out then b) stand around for 30+ minute 'meetings' before we could go home. These meetings were basic bitch sessions. I stop getting paid at 9pm but can't leave until nearly 10pm, fantastic.

Sure I'm a member now but I'm an old fat suburbanite, what are my choices.

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Taima posted:

You're an idiot if you think I was complaining about muffins. I was simply showing that value has decreased over time, absent of this scenario happening right now. Not sure why I'm even responding, but there you go.

I have no idea why any of this is happening. Just wanted warm kraut :(

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I wonder, does Costco sell pearls that I can clutch while reading this thread?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Hypnolobster posted:

I wonder, does Costco sell pearls that I can clutch while reading this thread?

https://www.costco.com/pearl-necklaces.html

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Taima posted:

Costco acknowledged recently that these changes were the results of shareholders, and not the corporation.

Where did you read this?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Xaris posted:

it felt like it was like halloween a 4 months ago
Gah, new stranger things maybe?!

Also, you see Halloween stuff start to creep in slowly after July 4, because the Hauntfolken need a good month or two to set up their attractions and it's always easy to grab a cheap skeleton or a $120 stand up with lights to go with the $3500 pneumatic powered animatronic that's being shipped in.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

naem posted:

I hope that you are a member of one of the seven approved careers that U.K. Costco (rightly) allows membership to (Barrister, Civil Servant, Post Secondary Educator, Aluminium Colourerer, Royal Haberdasher, Nuclear Physicist, Falconry)

A couple locations have eased this restriction as an experiment and you can now gain membership if you are a member of other organizations like a couple popular car breakdown/recovery places, a member of parliament, a YouTuber with more than 50k subscribers, corgi enthusiast, or an alcoholic. So really anyone can join now.

Fun UK Costco facts, many gleaned from their website:
. There’s only 28 locations
. Only 12 have fuel (not the one near me)
. No business centers
. No pharmacies (this kinda makes sense as Costco can’t beat NHS prices)
. At least some locations do the weekday free coffee and treat but only during the tradesmen hours
. The food courts have baked potatoes with several topping options (very british ones like baked beans, or tuna)
. They also sell an Aberdeen Angus cottage pie in the food court which I’ve seen no one eating ever
. They obvs sell the chicken bake, pizza, and £1.50 hot dog
. Dispensers are ketchup and mustard only. If you get a dog they ask you if you want onions, if you say yes it looks like they are prepared to put them right on the dog before wrapping it up, but maybe you can request a cup?
. They have gelato and it’s actually recent, it replaced the sundaes
. They used to have a chicken wrap but now it’s a plain breaded chicken patty sandwich which seems a little expensive for something that looks much less nice
. They are the only places in the UK with a nearly-adequate amount of parking (at least one has an underground lot) and a,erican-width parking spaces

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
IMHO they should do the onions like they do the sauerkraut. Those little containers would hold enough chopped onion for a dog.

PBUC.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Taima posted:

The onion dispensers going away is honestly terrible, but at least you are still able to make the classic adult hot dog: deli mustard and sauerkraut.

That being said, if the sauerkraut goes away we have a huge problem.

Costco acknowledged recently that these changes were the results of shareholders, and not the corporation. Which does make it easier to take, but still- once shareholders have the reigns of a company, they are going to charge towards short term earnings every time.

Be scared for Costco long term. The only silver lining in this whole scenario is that Costco is so good that activist shareholders will need months, if not years, to make it poo poo.

But the sad reality is that every company dominated by its shareholders is ultimately going to be terrible (I work in silicon valley and have a huge amount of experience with this exact scenario). We need to prepare mentally for the day that Costco is no longer the church. It's really sad, but all we can hope for is that corporate does so poorly with the changes that they can convince the shareholders to cancel their plans.

Unfortunately that will take a LOT because shareholders have no reason to value long term earnings over short term benefits (they are idiots and want profits right this second, and don't give a gently caress about anyone else), but in the meantime I am personally refusing to order any new menu items. In fact I will only order the hot dog, and then only because they still have the kraut. You can't change the future but you can vote with your wallet. That time is coming soon for all Costco church members.

It just sucks. I've been a Costco member since I was 17. In that time I've seen a decline in service - for instance, they used to give you unlimited free muffins when you walked in the store during business hours- yeah, that's right, that's how good it was- but this is a whole other level.

my man, i think you meant to post in the doomsday economics thread and not panic in the chill, laid back costco thread

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

FCKGW posted:

my man, i think you meant to post in the doomsday economics thread and not panic in the chill, laid back costco thread

I don’t disagree with him and one of the reasons I love Costco was because I thought they were above poo poo like this. I’m worried...

:negative:

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I've said it before.. if you go through the line and pay two hundo+ for supplies, they ought to be offering you the dog and drink (with refill) for free.

GORDON fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 28, 2018

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Yeah it would be sad if we lost some of the perks and would make me reconsider going there to shop or even having a membership in the future. F the shareholders.

I also remember the "Price Club" and vaguely the free coffee and pastries.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

GORDON posted:

I've said it before.. if you go through the line and pay two hundo+ for supplies, they ought to be offering you the dog and drink (with refill) for free.

They sell their merchandise at basically break-even prices. Their profit comes from membership fees.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I'm just curious as to how shareholders are actually forcing something really specific like this. I mean, I own a bunch of shares in various companies and the only things I've ever gotten to vote on are really broad stuff like who should be on the board and exec payraises and such. I've never seen something as specific as this. Unless its somehow just shareholder "pressure"?

naem
May 29, 2011

wait so they don't even have onions anymore? Not even behind the counter

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

naem posted:

wait so they don't even have onions anymore? Not even behind the counter

Better pick up a 10lb bag of onions whole you're there, and get to choppin in the food court.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I love sauerkraut, I even make my own at home. I love it on hotdogs, and got a chuckle out of this statement:

Taima posted:

at least you are still able to make the classic adult hot dog: deli mustard and sauerkraut.

Truth.

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

I have no idea why any of this is happening. Just wanted warm kraut :(

They used to keep the kraut cups in a warming tray, but if they sat too long in there, the kraut would turn an unpleasant brown.

Also, they used to give you like 3 times as much.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I'm just curious as to how shareholders are actually forcing something really specific like this. I mean, I own a bunch of shares in various companies and the only things I've ever gotten to vote on are really broad stuff like who should be on the board and exec payraises and such. I've never seen something as specific as this. Unless its somehow just shareholder "pressure"?

I don't know about Costco specifically but this would/could be activist shareholders. Either a rich individual or hedge fund owning actual percentages of Costco stock and threatening to replace members of the board if XYZ changes are not made.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Chinatown posted:

IMHO they should do the onions like they do the sauerkraut. Those little containers would hold enough chopped onion for a dog.

PBUC.

This is outrageously wasteful. Bring back the dispensers.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Xaris posted:

man is it really already loving halloween decoration poo poo jfc time flies

it felt like it was like halloween a 4 months ago

It’s loving July so no not really but :capitalism:

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
A lot of conflicting Costco commentary on here. Let me be clear:
- In NJ The sauerkraut is warmed in a water bath
- we have lost the onion dispenser but NOT onions, which are now served in a container that is honestly filled with more onions than I’d have used.

Please let me assuage any of your other concerns, at least in the tri-state NY area.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
The onion dispenser still lives on at my Costco, though we've gone from having two of them to only one.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ie-Q5fdctU

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

I went to a Costco location for the first time and was suprised to find that the carts required a quarter deposit. It was #739 in Brick, NJ. Is this a thing? Across maybe 20 other locations I hadn't seen that before.

RoastBeef fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 29, 2018

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Skrill.exe posted:

This is outrageously wasteful. Bring back the dispensers.

This is America.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I don’t disagree with him and one of the reasons I love Costco was because I thought they were above poo poo like this. I’m worried...

:negative:

some goon said "shareholders forced them to remove the onions dispenser" with no source and it sounds like dumb bullshit.

they didn't even get rid of the onions, they're still there, the method of how they are served has changed.

you guys are literally saying that this is the beginning of the end of costco because the onions are in a cup instead of in a metal box lmao

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

RoastBeef posted:

I went to a Costco location for the first time and was suprised to find that the carts required a quarter deposit. It was #739 in Brick, NJ. Is this a thing? Across maybe 20 other locations I hadn't seen that before.

Take a page out of Aldi's book.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I was at an Aldi's the other day, saw a cart in the parking lot and I was like "Hey, free quarter!" Whoever came up with that idea is a drat genius.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

I mean it wasn't even close to either the sketchiest or busiest Costco I've seen. I had to get a hot dog to break a buck for the cart.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Taima posted:

The onion dispensers going away is honestly terrible, but at least you are still able to make the classic adult hot dog: deli mustard and sauerkraut.

Don’t forget ketchup, cuz ketchup goes on dogs.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Where did you read this?

I found some relevant quotes for you, concerning the earnings call and commentary from CEO Craig Jelinek:

quote:

“Not everybody gets as excited about pizza and hot dogs as I do,” chief executive Craig Jelinek told company shareholders in January, noting that the food court menu is a frequent topic of comments dropped in store suggestion boxes.

“This new plant-based protein salad [he is referring to the soy-based al pastor salad], I know that excites you,” he said at the shareholder meeting. “But it is healthy. And, uh, actually, it tastes pretty good, if you like those kind of things. I tried it once.”

I know this doesn't seem like much, but it's about as overt as a CEO will be about the decision-making being taken into shareholder hands. What he's saying is that he didn't want or make these menu decisions (therefore, corporate itself is not making these decisions). Rogue shareholders, or a group of them, are slowly taking control away from corporate.

The food court itself is just a small issue, but the shift from corporate control to shareholder control is extremely worrying. These things always start small and get worse over time.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Not trying to poo poo on you, but please try to understand that what you think are a "bunch of shares" is actually nothing whatsoever and no one cares. I'm not talking about Joe Butthole with his 100 Costco shares using his immense clout to change the food court. I'm talking about highly involved entities with ranking shareholder interest deciding that the profit that they are making is not enough.

The problem is that what generates short term value for high ranking shareholders is not typically what generates value for the corporation long-term.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Changing to an individually prepackaged onion probably just cuts down on waste of the onions going bad sitting out in the open air. It probably also makes it easier for food court employees to maintain cleanliness. The sky isn’t falling, they still offer the same poo poo just in a different way. I’m going to go out on a limb and say shareholders don’t give a single gently caress about food court onions.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Spookiest thing you’ve ever bought from Costco?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

I think you're being a touch hysterical about shareholders having some irrational crusade against onion dispensers when the reality is it's probably just easier for everyone involved to do the little containers

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

the ceo is talking to shareholders specifically about input from customers you moron. Sounds like a bunch of customers wanted more vegan options, they made that salad but the CEO doesn’t like it that much but hey, it’s what the customers want.

lol that you took those two paragraphs and projected them onto the onion thing like the shareholders are taking control of the company

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I'm pretty Gotham sure the highest wages and benefits for employees should be on the cooling block long before the onion dispenser if activist investors were running the company.

Also holly hell those dispensers must be a pain in the rear end too clean.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
*is full of himself investor*

IT'S THOSE loving ONIONS!!!

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
I say go back to the original Costco Food Court, Cafe 150. Just a rolling hot dog cart out front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

therobit posted:

Also holly hell those dispensers must be a pain in the rear end too clean.

I doubt it. It’s just a screw at the bottom of a hopper, right? Steel foodservice equipment like that usually disassembles easily for cleaning.

If cost-cutting is the driver for the Great Onion Change of 2018 then on the face of it this doesn’t make sense. It’s way more labor to portion and pack a bunch of cups than it is to fill a hopper.