Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

To be fair, there's a chance some of those people were Johnny's age or thereabouts.

Otherwise yeah ew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'm gonna give people the benefit of the doubt and assume that, as usual, in most cases this was less 'this 12 year old is hot' and more 'a person of an appropriate age to mine with this appearance would be hot'

the ability of the brain to unconsciously translate these things shouldn't be underestimated

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

We've repeatedly seen that Johnny is hot throughout this comic.

Hot-headed that is! :haw:

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Johnny isn't that hot guys, c'mon, he's more like a medium.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

BlackPersona posted:

Johnny isn't that hot guys, c'mon, he's more like a medium.

He does have some incredibly well forged muscles.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what's the supernormal strip

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

We've repeatedly seen that Johnny is hot throughout this comic.

Hot-headed that is! :haw:

I mean he is possessed by a straight-up furnace right now.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tenebrais posted:

I mean he is possessed by a straight-up furnace right now.

:thejoke:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

As his link to Forge deepens, he'll save a fortune on hair gel costs. Maybe he's born with it... maybe it's Mayview.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

"Don't hate me because I'm spectral"

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
johnny already looks like a shark half the time i cant wait to see how forge's presence alters him in *checks watch* 14 years

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

The next arc will be about a sleepover and it'll last for over a year.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

PetraCore posted:

The next arc will be about a sleepover and it'll last for over a year.
But enough about El Goonish Shive.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
didnt el goonish shive do that already, like fairly early on

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Tollymain posted:

didnt el goonish shive do that already, like fairly early on
Yeah that's the joke.

I still like El Goonish Shive but a huge part of it is I like being able to see the creator get better at it. I'm glad I got through the roughest stuff when I was too young to care about how rough it is.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if dan shive started fresh w something new id read that comic

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Speaking of characters looking way older than they should. Did anyone else think Violet was Ms Baxter til Jeff showed up?

Also loving lol at the swarm of student council moving to tackle Johnny.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

More Cody and Lisa parallels?

EDIT: Also if Lisa gives Violet drinks for free, what does Violet need the stars for?

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 31, 2018

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PetraCore posted:

EDIT: Also if Lisa gives Violet drinks for free, what does Violet need the stars for?

I was wondering something similar, since after it was established that Violet drinks for free, she spent pretty much the entire rest of that scene handing stars over to Lisa.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

She drinks for free, but the drinks aren't free. Everyone else has to pay to drink their drinks.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Lisa allows Violet to drink her drinks for free, but she still needs to pay to be given a drink in the first place.

At the School Store you pay for your drink, then pay per sip. That is how she runs the place.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Roland Jones posted:

I was wondering something similar, since after it was established that Violet drinks for free, she spent pretty much the entire rest of that scene handing stars over to Lisa.
I think the framing is meant to imply Lisa literally drinks for free, in that, she buys her drinks, but then doesn't have to pay the absurd charges for the act of drinking them. It's basically a heavy discount.

EDIT: Beaten, haha.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Also, just to add to my pet theory about Cody and Lisa, this page has already been linked to point out that the panel used to establish Cody's left the bar also is focused mostly on Lisa and implies she senses something going on, but I just noticed that Lisa and Davy are framed very similarly in shadow and the angle of their faces is mirroring each other.

...also, Davy's definitely in the supply closet, but I'm unsure if the fight is taking place right outside the closet and he's literally just seeing and hearing it? I'm pretty sure Lisa and Garcia are tipped off by the loud as gently caress thundercrack that just went off. But he knows details about Hijack when he tracks him down, so that implies he was eavesdropping, right?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Update. Isabel is a good girl. Also, Francisco is a dick.

Alt-text: caprisun, friendship, and flipflops... it's summer's time babey

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PetraCore posted:

Also, just to add to my pet theory about Cody and Lisa, this page has already been linked to point out that the panel used to establish Cody's left the bar also is focused mostly on Lisa and implies she senses something going on, but I just noticed that Lisa and Davy are framed very similarly in shadow and the angle of their faces is mirroring each other.

...also, Davy's definitely in the supply closet, but I'm unsure if the fight is taking place right outside the closet and he's literally just seeing and hearing it? I'm pretty sure Lisa and Garcia are tipped off by the loud as gently caress thundercrack that just went off. But he knows details about Hijack when he tracks him down, so that implies he was eavesdropping, right?
I wonder if that's where he shoves /all/ the spirits he murders? Or maybe it's where the witch stores her stuff?

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Boy these twelve year olds sure have immense emotional maturity! And they sure didn’t learn it from their parents or authority figures!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Update. Isabel is a good girl. Also, Francisco is a dick.

Alt-text: caprisun, friendship, and flipflops... it's summer's time babey

I'm not sure how giving someone the ability to rotate their body along any vertical/horizontal axis, while also retaining momentum and also retaining any contact they have with other objects is supposed to be useless?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

I'm not sure how giving someone the ability to rotate their body along any vertical/horizontal axis, while also retaining momentum and also retaining any contact they have with other objects is supposed to be useless?

Using a tool is weakness. You shouldn't need anything besides your own inner strength.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Nothing about Isabel's grandpa has implied he's flexible in his thinking, and using flip powers effectively is all about that.

Flip Flop isn't useless, he just doesn't know how to use him, which as far as he's concerned means the same thing.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Using a tool is weakness. You shouldn't need anything besides your own inner strength.

I get his overall philosophy and his intention of weaning Isabel off tools. But if you wanted to give someone a useless ability, one that has easily understood combat applications and utility is a bad idea. Maybe he needed to give her a tool that lets her summon bacon or something.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I get his overall philosophy and his intention of weaning Isabel off tools. But if you wanted to give someone a useless ability, one that has easily understood combat applications and utility is a bad idea. Maybe he needed to give her a tool that lets her summon bacon or something.

I get the feeling he uses those for target practise, and only keeps anything even moderately worth anything to him.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Or the ability to not have or respect magnet powers!

That said, I suspect Francisco ignores a spirit's actual abilities and just judges them based on their machismo levels.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Isabel might just be the talented fighter in the family. Maybe he thought ole' Flip Flop didn't have any combat uses, and simply isn't capable of coming up with a triple flip spirit suplex. Francisco's most complicated technique is putting his energy shots into weird shapes.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Rand Brittain posted:

Or the ability to not have or respect magnet powers!

That said, I suspect Francisco ignores a spirit's actual abilities and just judges them based on their machismo levels.

Francisco is an rear end in a top hat, simple enough.

To quote Bruce Lee, there are students who can't learn and those who won't learn. Treat the first with patience and the second with firmness. Do not belittle or hurt your students.

Francisco has acted like a superior rear end in a top hat to everyone in his vicinity, learns absolutely nothing, treats his own family like trash and gives them bullshit little 'tests' like this instead of actually trying to teach them something. And I bet if/when he learns that Isabel took a 'useless' spirit and used it for effect in the middle of a battle within a day, he'd simply brush it off. He's a poo poo teacher, and Isabel's best lesson so far is to give him the minimum amount of concern as she continues growing and learning from better sources.

Sorry, but the 'rear end in a top hat mentor' character is such a terrible archetype. So, hey, congrats to Zack for making me feel something about his characters!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i dont think francisco is supposed to actually be any more competent a teacher than his student, just far more confident

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

It's not how he fights, and flipflop isn't a cool impressive looking spirit who loves fighting like Forge or something, ergo useless

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

J.A.B.C. posted:

Francisco is an rear end in a top hat, simple enough.

To quote Bruce Lee, there are students who can't learn and those who won't learn. Treat the first with patience and the second with firmness. Do not belittle or hurt your students.

Francisco has acted like a superior rear end in a top hat to everyone in his vicinity, learns absolutely nothing, treats his own family like trash and gives them bullshit little 'tests' like this instead of actually trying to teach them something. And I bet if/when he learns that Isabel took a 'useless' spirit and used it for effect in the middle of a battle within a day, he'd simply brush it off. He's a poo poo teacher, and Isabel's best lesson so far is to give him the minimum amount of concern as she continues growing and learning from better sources.

Sorry, but the 'rear end in a top hat mentor' character is such a terrible archetype. So, hey, congrats to Zack for making me feel something about his characters!
Yeah, pretty sure that's entirely the point. I can definitely believe Francisco's construct fighting style is doing stuff that is cool and useful and very interesting to other spectrals. After all, we've seen how useful being able to make constructs out of your energy is from how Isabel uses it. But, he's definitely a bit of a one-trick pony with it. He had to be somewhat innovative to come up with that and hone it in the first place, but that's as far as his thinking goes: he discourages Isabel's own innovativeness because it's not using the techniques he approves of. As far as he's concerned, he's already perfected something, so Isabel better hold up his legacy and master his martial art and not do anything on her own.

The sad thing is, I do believe he loves Isabel, but it's not the kind of love that allows for someone growing as a person away from your control. Even if he thinks he's protecting her, he's abusing her and smothering her. He's not the 'rear end in a top hat mentor' archetype, he's the 'abusive guardian' archetype who just thinks he's a 'tough love rear end in a top hat mentor'. It's really messed up and Zach hits the emotional notes really well in how it affects Isabel.

EDIT: Also, do we know if Francisco is Isabel's paternal or maternal grandfather? I believe she's mentioned before that he hates her dad for being 'weak', but with a character like Francisco, that... doesn't really rule out being her paternal grandfather.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 31, 2018

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
When we first saw FlipFlop, he used his power to... Flip his hat around,and flip his box so it wasn't on his back as a shell anymore. Basically just taking objects and turning them around instantly, the most obvious use of the power. FlipFlop isn't assertive and Francisco is an incurious rear end in a top hat who thinks he's always right about everything, so he likely didn't think about FlipFlop's capabilities beyond that; if that's all you think FlipFlop can do, then yeah, he seems pretty useless. (Yes, there are potential applications of even that, but it's still not nearly as impressive.)

Heck, we didn't know that flipping along an outside axis was a possibility until FlipFlop used it by surprise to keep Isabel from being seen by Baxter by moving her to the other side of the door, and I doubt Isabel realized that those applications were possible prior to that moment either, because "I flip things" doesn't imply that right away. She took to it amazingly quickly, because she is actually super skilled and all, whatever Francisco may think, but that's a bit outside my point, which is that not seeing potential in FlipFlop's power makes sense if you haven't already seen it being used in ways like how Isabel uses it.

None of which is to defend Francisco as a person or his teaching methods or whatever; he is an abusive rear end in a top hat and I hope that he gets his comeuppance and/or Isabel stops having to worry about him and his power and influence over her, among other things, and I'm glad that based on the ways things have generally been presented Zack seems to understand that Francisco is really not a good person and isn't trying to portray him as in the right or anything. That's a whole other subject.

PetraCore posted:

EDIT: Also, do we know if Francisco is Isabel's paternal or maternal grandfather? I believe she's mentioned before that he hates her dad for being 'weak', but with a character like Francisco, that... doesn't really rule out being her paternal grandfather.

I thought that was a clue that he was her paternal grandfather, actually. I haven't read that part in a while, but the implication that I got was that Francisco is a lovely father as well as a lovely grandfather.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I seem to recall Francisco being her maternal grandfather based on someone asking Zach once on twitter or something. Just checked the wiki and found nothing to back that up. Isabel does have his last name though, which is admittedly more of a clue in favor of paternal.

Roland Jones posted:

flipping along an outside axis

This made me think and I wonder if Isabel/Flip-Flop's strongest move is flipping to the other side of the earth. The barrier might stop that and even if it didn't the main use of it would be to strand something in the ocean.

Akett fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 31, 2018