Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Volguus posted:

When you're that small that you're fine with their infrastructure, you're fine with a set and forget IRC server. When you're that big that you have to have the paid for features, you're ok with having a team managing a communications server for you. If you're already in bed with microsoft, most likely you're already paying for Teams, so you may as well use it.
If you're that small that you simply cannot have a server ($5/month is too much for you) facing the internet at all ... then sure. It is the only use case that slack does make sense.

:trumppop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Not sure if this is the right place but I have old win32 program - a program that writes to microfilm - that has a settings file. There's no extensions and ideally I'd like to edit it manually but it's all gibberish in notepad.

We are able to reset all the settings by deleting the the file but we just want to adjust - one setting - is there a way to go about this?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Volguus posted:

When you're that small that you're fine with their infrastructure, you're fine with a set and forget IRC server. When you're that big that you have to have the paid for features, you're ok with having a team managing a communications server for you. If you're already in bed with microsoft, most likely you're already paying for Teams, so you may as well use it.
If you're that small that you simply cannot have a server ($5/month is too much for you) facing the internet at all ... then sure. It is the only use case that slack does make sense.

Are you high and can i have some

because goddamn my dude

Tab8715 posted:

Not sure if this is the right place but I have old win32 program - a program that writes to microfilm - that has a settings file. There's no extensions and ideally I'd like to edit it manually but it's all gibberish in notepad.

We are able to reset all the settings by deleting the the file but we just want to adjust - one setting - is there a way to go about this?

try notepad++ for the config but honestly this is going to depend so heavily on the program in question that the advice you'll be able to get is limited at best

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

running a local irc server? real pros run a local jabber server

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My main beef with Discord is that you can’t type in a voice chat channel to get text to speak. It’s kind of a useful feature to have, and I’m not sure why you would drop it when Vent, TS, and Mumble all had it.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I thought you could do that via /tts if admin enabled?

Edit: still have to type it in a text channel but eh

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Tab8715 posted:

its probably a binary settings file, in which case lol good luck, but try a hex editor

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Tab8715 posted:

It's entirely possible that those settings are as clear as they're gonna get, depending on how old the program is and how the coder set it up, those strings may represent everything, in which case you need the dev or company that put it out or you realistically can't do it. As others said, try a hex editor and notepad++, if they don't work and you need to make it do the thing, you need new software (or at least software still alive with people familiar with it to help you).

Man, I remember trying to use hex editors back in the day to make changes in games, I'm soooo glad that went out of style. I don't really understand why it was ever preferable to a txt file the game could interpret or run through a translation.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Hex editing car performance files in Grand Prix 2 :cool:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tab8715 posted:

Take the settings file you have right now with the settings it has noted elsewhere.

Clear it and make a copy of the unmodified settings file and note what those settings are, set this aside too.

Now repeat the clearing process and make just one change in each (preferably, changing an entirely different setting) and save those for comparisons.

Now load em all up in some hex editing software to check comparisons and you'll probably be able to map out the settings structure

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Thanks Ants posted:

Hex editing car performancecharacter files in Grand Prix 2 Wizardry :cool:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Here’s a fun one. What is your app toolset for managing your environment on your phone? I’m on call but nowhere near my laptop to manage the environment if need be.

So far I have azure/office 365 admin apps. VPN, password/record keeper, and a basic RDP tool. Anything cool out there for mobile system administration?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

George H.W. oval office posted:

Here’s a fun one. What is your app toolset for managing your environment on your phone? I’m on call but nowhere near my laptop to manage the environment if need be.

So far I have azure/office 365 admin apps. VPN, password/record keeper, and a basic RDP tool. Anything cool out there for mobile system administration?

the dialer app lets me call other team members who could be in a better spot.

JackDRipper
Feb 13, 2013

Its all about the Fishing.

George H.W. oval office posted:

The Vsphere mobile app comes to mind, Meraki mobile app though as I recall I used to have hell with MFA on the silly phone that the app ran on.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Volguus posted:

LOL @ Teams. Microsoft's fourth? fifth? attempt at making a not-poo poo IM client.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

AlternateAccount posted:

LOL @ Teams. Microsoft's fourth? fifth? attempt at making a not-poo poo IM client.

Office Communicator
Lync
Skype for Business

Am I missing any? They all sucked major balls so I hope none of my customers will adopt Teams.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LochNessMonster posted:

Office Communicator
Lync
Skype for Business

Am I missing any? They all sucked major balls so I hope none of my customers will adopt Teams.

MSN Messenger

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

net send

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Teams is usable enough

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I like Teams.

This generation of Microsoft should not be discounted because of the failures of the last generation.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Teams is aggressively mediocre. It’s not as good as slack (lol) but not bad enough to fight off if you’re already paying for O365.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Teams has some quirks but I’ve had a lot success rolling it out as a hipchat replacement. And it’s already included with our 365 licensing so why not.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Teams will forever be garbage until the show message but is removed.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Teams has some quirks but I’ve had a lot success rolling it out as a hipchat replacement. And it’s already included with our 365 licensing so why not.

We made this change in the spring, but everyone misses hipchat.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
The best is that Cisco renamed their stillborn idiot-baby IM competitor from Cisco Spark to Cisco Teams. Real good job, idiots.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

LochNessMonster posted:

Office Communicator
Lync
Skype for Business

All of those are essentially the same thing just renamed.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

AlternateAccount posted:

The best is that Cisco renamed their stillborn idiot-baby IM competitor from Cisco Spark to Cisco Teams. Real good job, idiots.

ehemmm that's WebEx Teams, to you.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tab8715 posted:

All of those are essentially the same thing just renamed.

they're literally the same thing, SfB is lync.exe if you open Task Manager.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Teams is not better than slack ( both are equally idiotic) but at least there can be an argument made for it as "it's there already" with office. Slack lacks even that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It is a shame that Hipchat is going to be flat discontinued as a result of Slack's acquistions, but I guess it doesn't amke sense to keep it around just for the older users. :shrug:

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Volguus posted:

Teams is not better than slack ( both are equally idiotic) but at least there can be an argument made for it as "it's there already" with office. Slack lacks even that.

slack took this poster's wife and dog from him

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Every time a department suggests using Slack or anything similar it gets shut down by "Chat is a time-waster"

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Any communication solution that offers a proprietary protocol and therefore locks users into their client/server is not worth even being considered. It's chat for crying out loud. It's a solved problem. It's done.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Volguus posted:

Any communication solution that offers a proprietary protocol and therefore locks users into their client/server is not worth even being considered. It's chat for crying out loud. It's a solved problem. It's done.

The fact that you see it as "just a chat platform" is your entire problem. You're not even trying to see how platforms like slack and teams can improve business processes.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Thom and the Heads posted:

ehemmm that's WebEx Teams, to you.

My mistake. They're trying to trojan horse it in under the name of a less-poo poo product. It's worse than I described.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I’d rather get people together in a Slack/Teams/Hangouts/whatever chat to get remote people working on an incident than waste their time on a conference bridge or have a billion emails flying around and responses getting lost in the chain :shrug:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Thom and the Heads posted:

slack took this poster's wife and dog from him

It also poisoned our water supply and brought a plague unto our houses.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Thanks Ants posted:

I’d rather get people together in a Slack/Teams/Hangouts/whatever chat to get remote people working on an incident than waste their time on a conference bridge or have a billion emails flying around and responses getting lost in the chain :shrug:

Yeah chat is amazingly useful when running one (or more) outages at the same time, IMO it's far faster and more effective than email chains or bridges. Instant updates to everyone, we're all on the same page, and no overlapping email confusion. It kind of sucks for training new people, but we can do screen shares and calls for that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Teams has been good for us but we never really put effort into Slack when we tried it. We are very much not a software house and being able to wean people off booking meeting rooms for 30 minutes in three days time for something that should just have been an email has been an achievement in itself. Even managed to get people to stop phoning each other for non-urgent stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Volguus posted:

If that's the hill you want to die on then look at Matrix. I like open standards and the ability to run my own server, so I've contemplated moving my company off Slack to a Matrix system, but that's a lot of effort to set up and more things to maintain while Slack does what we need pretty drat well at zero cost. Mattermost also exists and is more of a Slack clone (down to a compatible API) where Matrix has federation between private instances and other major differences.

IRC and Jabber are not valid alternatives. Neither considers rich media and automatic link previews to be a native feature of the client. Neither gracefully handles multiple clients in a synchronized fashion. Neither makes it nearly as easy to send notifications from your applications in to a group channel. All of those things are very useful in a company environment.

The utility of a Slack-like application is basically unquestionable at this point. There are good reasons it's everywhere and so many others are trying to compete. We can definitely debate the various options all day, but acting like it's all pointless and IRC does everything you need is just nonsense.