Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Spatulater bro! posted:

So we've been on a self-imposed tight budget over the past year in order to pay down debt, so I've forgone the last two Criterion B&N sales. But I can't take it anymore. I need my fix. I'm going to buy ONE this time, and it needs to be a good one.

Which one of these would you guys pick? Taking into consideration both the film and the release.

Stalker
Nashville
Breaking the Waves
Ugetsu
Multiple Maniacs
The Age of Innocence
The Virgin Spring

Nashville, definitely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Stalker, hands down

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I think Stalker has the highest rewatch value. I've been itching to watch it again since I saw it the first time.

I understand the need to skip sales. When I was in some hard times, it felt awful to not only skip the sales for almost three years, but slowly selling off my collection to pay bills and rent (ultimately had to sell 25 just from Criterion, including a bunch of OOP ones).

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Egbert Souse posted:

I understand the need to skip sales. When I was in some hard times, it felt awful to not only skip the sales for almost three years, but slowly selling off my collection to pay bills and rent (ultimately had to sell 25 just from Criterion, including a bunch of OOP ones).

Been there, done that, always regretted later, too. :(

Stalker is great but the Solaris blu is better.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Stalker is great but the Solaris blu is better.

Already own Solaris. It is indeed a great BD.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

S T A L K E R

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The people have spoken. You goin to The Zone, boy-o

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Good. I've seen the film only once, about 6 years ago. Can't wait to revisit it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The one that hurt the most was my MoC Metropolis steelbook. It's super-rare because really only the pre-orders made it into people's hands because most of the stock was destroyed in a warehouse fire during the London riots. I put it up for $275 thinking no one would actually order it, but someone did. And I was short on rent that month.

I sort of regret selling Peeping Tom, but I got a lot for it and the UK Blu is supposed to be great (and somewhat inexpensive). I'm lucky in that most of what I sold off were DVDs that are now upgraded to Blu. I think the only ones I still need to replace are Bicycle Thieves, Ikiru, Elevator to the Gallows, My Dinner with Andre, Make Way for Tomorrow, and Pickpocket.

Spatulater bro! posted:

Good. I've seen the film only once, about 6 years ago. Can't wait to revisit it.

I rented a DVD from Netflix years ago and the PAL conversion was horrific. Couldn't make it through ten minutes.

The Blu looks flawless.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

I rented a DVD from Netflix years ago and the PAL conversion was horrific. Couldn't make it through ten minutes.

The Blu looks flawless.

That's precisely how I watched it too. Can't wait to see the BD. I think I'll hit up B&N during lunch on Monday.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

On that note, one of the coolest thing about Mosfilm is that they uploaded most of their catalogue on YouTube. It's genuinely amazing to me that that I live in a time where I can watch Stalker in HD with a single click.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Spatulater bro! posted:

So we've been on a self-imposed tight budget over the past year in order to pay down debt, so I've forgone the last two Criterion B&N sales. But I can't take it anymore. I need my fix. I'm going to buy ONE this time, and it needs to be a good one.

Which one of these would you guys pick? Taking into consideration both the film and the release.

Stalker
Nashville
Breaking the Waves
Ugetsu
Multiple Maniacs
The Age of Innocence
The Virgin Spring

Stalker, most def.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

I know you’re going stalker and there’s nothing wrong with that but I’d take Nashville and maaaaybe Ugetsu over it honestly.

Nah just Nashville but definitely on that one

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I don't know if there is such a thing as the Great American Novel, but Nashville is definitely the Great American Film.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
One thing that was a bit unexpected for me with the Stalker Criterion was how great the first part looks, before they go to The Zone. I've never seen the film on DVD but I imagine those opening scenes are a major upgrade, maybe even moreso than The Zone.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Nashville would be my number 2 pick but Stalker is such a revelation in the new release.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

I'll be the dissenting opinion and say that the Samurai Trilogy is incredibly mediocre outside of the fights and the only character/performance worth watching it for is Mariko Okada's. Luckily she went on to act in films by Ozu, Naruse, and Kiju Yoshida. I much prefer Tomu Uchida's 5-part adaptation of the same historical novel about Miyamoto from the 1960's, but being a Toei release instead of Toho it's hard to find and the DVD's look OOP.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

There is a brutal shot in The Virgin Spring that'll let you know Bergman doesn't gently caress around.

I agree with the other purchase suggestions, but try to find Virgin Spring at a library or something if you can, definitely worth a watch.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'd hold off on any Bergman considering that massive 39-film set is coming out in November and it's supposed to have all extras intact.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Nroo posted:

I'll be the dissenting opinion and say that the Samurai Trilogy is incredibly mediocre outside of the fights and the only character/performance worth watching it for is Mariko Okada's. Luckily she went on to act in films by Ozu, Naruse, and Kiju Yoshida. I much prefer Tomu Uchida's 5-part adaptation of the same historical novel about Miyamoto from the 1960's, but being a Toei release instead of Toho it's hard to find and the DVD's look OOP.
A bit OT to this thread, but is Arrow's upcoming release of Uchida's Bloody Spear on Mt. Fuji worth a blind buy?

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Coaaab posted:

A bit OT to this thread, but is Arrow's upcoming release of Uchida's Bloody Spear on Mt. Fuji worth a blind buy?

I'd say yes, if you're like me and love '50s/'60s samurai films. It's kind of like a character driven road-trip comedy that turns unexpectedly tragic and violent at the end. Glad it's getting a proper release (outside of Japan)

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Did they officially announce a Godzilla box set, or was it only announced that they got the rights?

Arcella fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 29, 2018

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Late to the party, but Ugetsu is a fantastic movie, and Seconds is a must-watch. I haven't seen Stalker yet, though.... (sitting on the shelf behind me as I type)

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Arcella posted:

Did they officially announce a Godzilla box set, or was it only announced ed that they got the right Side?

Criterion? It's only streaming on Filmstruck and it's been up for close to a year with no physical release news.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Coaaab posted:

Provisional list:

Repulsion
House
Zazie dans le métro
Red River
An Actor's Revenge
Manila in the Claws of Light

I can wait 'til November for that Dietrich set, while also earmarking Andrei Rublev and The Tree of Life when they come out later in the year.
So to compare to what I actually got:

All That Jazz
An Actor's Revenge
Dietrich & von Sternberg boxset
Fox and His Friends
High and Low
House
Manila in the Claws of Light
Orpheus
Red River
Repulsion
Slacker
They Live By Night

So maybe I'll exhibit better self-restraint in November??

(nah prolly not)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I really should get House.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
New hint in the latest newsletter:

I would guess Day for Night, but that already has a bluray release.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

In the Heat of the Night

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Radio Spiricom posted:

In the Heat of the Night

If that's true, how many Criterions would that make that have won Best Picture at the Oscars? I can think of six others (It Happened One Night, Rebecca, Hamlet, On the Waterfront, The Last Emperor and The Silence of the Lambs) but I'm sure I'm forgetting others.

E: Oh yeah, and Midnight Cowboy. Knew I was forgetting one.

Macrame_God fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 1, 2018

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

So To Be or Not to Be is funny as poo poo and totally wonderful. That is all.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

To Be or Not to Be is hilarious. As if anything directed by Lubitsch and starring Jack Benny and Carole Lombard couldn't be. The Mel Brooks remake is surprisingly good, too.

Ended up making one last stop and picked up Seconds on Blu-ray and The Golden Age of Television (plus a cheap DVD set that has all four complete Ed Sullivan episodes featuring The Beatles).

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

To Be or Not to Be is hilarious. As if anything directed by Lubitsch and starring Jack Benny and Carole Lombard couldn't be. The Mel Brooks remake is surprisingly good, too.

Ended up making one last stop and picked up Seconds on Blu-ray and The Golden Age of Television (plus a cheap DVD set that has all four complete Ed Sullivan episodes featuring The Beatles).

Golden Age of Television is one of the most underappreciated releases in the Criterion in my opinion. There isn't a bad movie in the whole set.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Macrame_God posted:

Golden Age of Television is one of the most underappreciated releases in the Criterion in my opinion. There isn't a bad movie in the whole set.

I watched Patterns and No Time for Sergeants on YouTube years ago and I was tremendously impressed. The film versions are very good, but the live TV performances are astonishing.

Also, watched Mishima tonight. Amazing film - just the visuals alone are like nothing I've seen before. Ended up ordering Patriotism.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Macrame_God posted:

The Comedian is a mean gem.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The Comedian is a mean gem.

I looked at the booklet and saw that Rod Serling wrote Patterns, Requiem for a Heavyweight, and The Comedian. I've actually started watching The Twilight Zone from the start and was amazed to see that the first eight episodes were all written by Serling. That man was a writing powerhouse.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Egbert Souse posted:

I looked at the booklet and saw that Rod Serling wrote Patterns, Requiem for a Heavyweight, and The Comedian. I've actually started watching The Twilight Zone from the start and was amazed to see that the first eight episodes were all written by Serling. That man was a writing powerhouse.

Out of the 156 total eps of The Twilight Zone, Serling wrote 92. I cant even fathom that kind of output.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
He also wrote just under half of the stories for Night Gallery.

I’ve had Golden Age on my list for a long time, mostly for those Serling stories. I never see it in store though and I hate ordering from the B&N site because I always end up with damaged cases.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Watching the Stalker blu. Absolutely loving gorgeous.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

According to the CriterionForum guys, it looks like America: Lost and Found is going OOP. It's already listed as OOP on DVD, so the Blu-ray is probably not far behind.

It's still available on Blu-ray at the 50%-off price on B&N:
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd-america-lost-and-found-the-bbs-story/22309476?ean=0715515064415

The set includes Head, Easy Rider, Five Easy Pieces, Drive He Said, A Safe Place, The Last Picture Show, and The King of Marvin Gardens. Easy Rider and Five Easy Pieces have standalone releases, but the rest are exclusive to the box set.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Man it's tempting to jump on that, despite not having much interest in the set. I own Easy Rider and I've seen Five Easy Pieces. How are the rest?