Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Shortly after my party recovered from their beatings, these chaps strode through and told us that it was Prayer Day. they were nice to me but they made sure to kill quite a few bandits on their way through the Hub, where I have since purchased a Storm House.

After the monks were gone, the Hub was attacked by the BAND OF BONES:

the Top Men run away to hide with the ninjas:

turns out they just wanted to destroy the same group of bandits that had been targeted during the Church's holy rampage:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Hey check out what I've been figuring out how to do:

(nexus)

I added a Clown named Steady to the town of Clownsteady.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

required mod

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So what do I do after I pay for entry into the secret ninja club? I started as a wanderer and aside from mining copper and starting unfair barfights, my character is pretty unskilled and poor.

I have some random weapons and armor I looted but I’m certain I still can’t win a fight against anything head on.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Anyone done any lets plays of this?

I 100% do not have time to grind through a game like this, but i'll gladly read about it on slow work days.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Updated Steady

He's a little dirtier and grungier, and now he keeps that thang on him

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

buglord posted:

So what do I do after I pay for entry into the secret ninja club? I started as a wanderer and aside from mining copper and starting unfair barfights, my character is pretty unskilled and poor.

I have some random weapons and armor I looted but I’m certain I still can’t win a fight against anything head on.

I wish I knew. I bought a storm house to do research in, and I plan to hire more goons through the ninjas and start pushing out into the wastes. I also bought a kickass bonedog from a wandering trader. He's the bodyguard for my miners outside the Hub.

Kalion
Jul 23, 2004

:gifttank:
Panzer vor!
For the most part the early game is about making money, hiring some companions then beating up bandits and taking their stuff and selling it.

The easiest way to make money is to steal stuff from cities and sell it. Note that the bartender in the Hub will buy anything regardless of whether or not it's stolen so that's a pretty good place to offload some stolen loot. Otherwise you just need to sell the stolen goods to a different faction.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If you're asking what the secret ninja club gets you, in most towns there's a ninja tower, and inside that ninja tower you'll usually find a plastic surgeon to retool your character and a fence in order to sell your stolen goods. As for what to do in general, slowly work your way out of Hub, but stay nearby. The copper mine will get you money. You need to start making pilgrimages to Stack (north-northwest) and Squin (south), and maybe even Bad Teeth (northeast of Stack) and Admag (west of Squin) to get recruits; Sheks are fighty boys and more expensive, Greenlanders are your average joes.

Numbers is the important thing early game if you plan on going a base-building route. You should get someone farming greenfruit ASAP, even though it's really lovely to grow greenfruit around hub. Having a high farming skill is important for self-sustainability. You can also start working on stone mines and refineries in order to get building materials and people's labor stats up. I'd say you should stay near hub until you can take Dust Bandits by yourself.

Be aware that when you start building near hub, it'll establish an Outpost, which means you'll start getting attention from all sorts of unsavory types.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Get the mod that boosts gate health, its way way to low for you to fight off raids early on.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Babe Magnet posted:

If you're asking what the secret ninja club gets you, in most towns there's a ninja tower, and inside that ninja tower you'll usually find a plastic surgeon to retool your character and a fence in order to sell your stolen goods. As for what to do in general, slowly work your way out of Hub, but stay nearby. The copper mine will get you money. You need to start making pilgrimages to Stack (north-northwest) and Squin (south), and maybe even Bad Teeth (northeast of Stack) and Admag (west of Squin) to get recruits; Sheks are fighty boys and more expensive, Greenlanders are your average joes.

Numbers is the important thing early game if you plan on going a base-building route. You should get someone farming greenfruit ASAP, even though it's really lovely to grow greenfruit around hub. Having a high farming skill is important for self-sustainability. You can also start working on stone mines and refineries in order to get building materials and people's labor stats up. I'd say you should stay near hub until you can take Dust Bandits by yourself.

Be aware that when you start building near hub, it'll establish an Outpost, which means you'll start getting attention from all sorts of unsavory types.

Is there another way to survive if you don't build a huge base?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You can slowly work your way up to becoming a solo superfucker. Good enough armor, good enough stats and you can start cleaving through stuff. Having good weapons helps a lot early game since it'll let you put down dust bandits and starving bandits faster, to help thin their numbers quickly in a fight.

It's definitely a lot harder, but doable. Use in-town buildings for most of your work, the larger ones will let you have the bigger benches for research and production. You don't really need to worry about food production and all that when you're solo. Having high stealth helps too, start training it and assassination and you'd be surprised at the amount of stuff you can get away with.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

ElBrak posted:

Get the mod that boosts gate health, its way way to low for you to fight off raids early on.

Not to mention that something about a closed gate seems to attract every roaming squad that passes within a 50 mile radius of your walls. It's really obnoxious.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

linall posted:

Not to mention that something about a closed gate seems to attract every roaming squad that passes within a 50 mile radius of your walls. It's really obnoxious.

They actually added a setting to change that recently.

-Added a new option to control town assault frequency. Not the events, the bandits passing by who try to conquer your town. Realised the old option wasn't working properly.
-It can also be disabled completely. It defaults to [Normal]. For reference, the raid frequency up to now is the one named [High], so the default should now be a little easier.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Ended up buying this. First game settled in the desert, hired 3 different mercenary bands once I realised they wouldn't walk back to town after, so i had about 14 strong motherfuckers just chilling. Always kept one of them actually hired so they'd help out when I was attacked, but the majority of them just walked around and killed all the spiders/bonedogs that came close. Got real lucky when a Caravan got 90% wiped out by a bonedog nest near me, so I got a ton of free backpacks, weapons and meat. Something like 150 meat combined.

Decided it was worth starting again when I realised I was playing town simulator rather than exploring. Currently my new game is just mining in the hub and researching a bunch of poo poo so I can make money and train up my guys not to be complete pushovers, but i'm thinking of grabbing 6/7 humans and going from town to town, fighting what I see.

Already realised the best way to travel early on is to tag along with a caravan. If they run into bandits and win, awesome, you get a bunch of weapons to sell in the next town. If they lose, you can just gently caress off, sneak back and grab a backpack+anything valuable, then get over to the next town.

E: Also stealing is OP i guess?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

dogstile posted:

E: Also stealing is OP i guess?

Once you get to the point where you can reliably rob shops, yeah.

If you play town simulator long enough you eventually need to start organizing expeditions to get special research materials, which requires going to far-flung parts of the world.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Any advice for bypassing or expediting the resource grind? I want to stop but it doesn't seem like my little crew of 5 would last long out in the wastes. This game is rad but the mining is so boring.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Stark Fist posted:

Any advice for bypassing or expediting the resource grind? I want to stop but it doesn't seem like my little crew of 5 would last long out in the wastes. This game is rad but the mining is so boring.

Early you can just run around looting stuff from fights around dangerous areas if you started in one and vending most of it. Running your starving rear end around some bandits/animals nearby and bringing them to the guards can encourage this. Steal food and other stuff off of tables and things while no one is looking or cook it from dead animals (no fail chance from stealing an item from the world while people aren't looking, only risky from containers). The only stat you really need to develop to not die very early is athletics. Buy/find sandals and don't wear anything that will slow you down until you have gotten your rear end beat a few times and can actually kill stuff. Train from public training dummies, ideally all the way to 14-15 if you have a mk3 available.

Avoid anyplace with beak things or blood spiders like the plague for a while or be extremely careful while traveling around them. They will eat you.

I don't mine unless it's a crew at an outpost cause as you mentioned it's boring as gently caress.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Stark Fist posted:

Buy a large-ish shack in a town, build a research bench in it, buy as many books as you can, leave one guy in the shack to research while the rest of your squad galavants around the map looting books, or looting gear to sell so you can buy more books. Once you have researched the more efficient methods of resource production it becomes much less of a slog.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
is there any way to make the camera not horrific because i'm really into every other aspect

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Million Ghosts posted:

is there any way to make the camera not horrific because i'm really into every other aspect

Not as far as I've seen. It's really too bad. Fighting with the camera makes some of the more interesting environments not a ton of fun to visit.

linall fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 2, 2018

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I have 3 guys (Starter, hobbs and thoke) and I'm busy mining copper to make some money. Should my next step be to buy a house in town and do a little research or explore the environment a bit, even if that'll probably get me turbo-killed.

I'm also playing without any mods, does anyone have any recommendations for when I eventually crash and burn?

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
I suggest researching the better mining buildings before starting a base, so you can see what the higher tier stuff requires, you can always build a lower tier building and upgrade it later.

You can keep a guy in town while the rest go off exploring, so if everyone else gets KO'd you still have one dude to save the day and drag everyone to a bed.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I swear I got this game in a cheap bundle from GamersGate before that name had even developed unfortunate associations, I can't believe it's actually coming together. It was insanely rough then but it might be time to dive back in

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gamersgate is still chill AFAIK.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Pro-tip: crafting bandanas raises your armorsmithing quickly and when you hit different tiers of crafting quality the value of your bandanas soar. This is less monotonous than just mining a copper node. The main constraint is the supply of fabric, but if you HQ in Squinn you can have folks head out to nearby towns/waystations to buy them out each day.

Unfortunately the Vendor Table that lets you be a shopkeeper doesn't seem to be fully implemented yet. I read that the NPCs only have a paltry sum of money they walk around with and can't afford 99% of the items in the game.

The emergent gameplay in this game is incredible. I healed a United City Heroes Boss who lost his legs to a skimmer attack and moved on to do something else. This was a guy who was violently xenophobic against my hiver character. After bringing back some stuff to sell in town, I saw a body next to me so I moused over it to loot it. My cursor turned green. WTF?

Healing the guy saved his life and I guess that was enough to turn his faction positive to me, so he spent the rest of his life crawling after me on his stumps like a dog.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Should I buy extra buildings in Hub or start my own base when I reach tech level 2? I need to build the bench somewhere and the little shack I bought isn't anywhere near big enough for everything I need.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Carcer posted:

Should I buy extra buildings in Hub or start my own base when I reach tech level 2? I need to build the bench somewhere and the little shack I bought isn't anywhere near big enough for everything I need.

You should be able to shove everything you need into a storm house for early basic stuff. Research thing inside and everything else you want on the roof.

If you bought a babby house, yes you will need to buy a storm house to fit the bigger research bench.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I bought a babby house, but its fine because now I have space for more stuff.

I've got 5 guys now. 2 of them are mining copper full time, 1 is making bandannas when fabric is available and the other is researching. the last one floats and either does resource runs to other towns or shuttles copper to the bar to sell.

Is there anything else I should be doing? I haven't really explored because everything is so dangerous.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Carcer posted:

I bought a babby house, but its fine because now I have space for more stuff.

I've got 5 guys now. 2 of them are mining copper full time, 1 is making bandannas when fabric is available and the other is researching. the last one floats and either does resource runs to other towns or shuttles copper to the bar to sell.

Is there anything else I should be doing? I haven't really explored because everything is so dangerous.

If you drop 10k on the Thieves you can train a bunch of skills ( Attack, Lockpicking and Assassination I think? ). Otherwise you just want to research up to cages, build one and then wait for the guards to beat someone up so you can imprison them for use as a punching bag.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

linall posted:

If you drop 10k on the Thieves you can train a bunch of skills ( Attack, Lockpicking and Assassination I think? ). Otherwise you just want to research up to cages, build one and then wait for the guards to beat someone up so you can imprison them for use as a punching bag.

This is commonly done with trader's leather as well, you'll get 80-90 armoursmithing in an hour or two and a fuckton of money and can pretty much keep it going indefinitely with the supplies in any town with a trader that restocks leather. Produces like 50k a day or so. Getting enough money to hire a bunch of dudes and/or some mercenaries to guard your babby outpost makes all the difference in the world. If you don't want to do the capturing prisoners and beating on them route of improving combat skills, run out to Mongrel and beat on the fogmen near the gate. You can get combat skills up to 30 or so like that quickly (and you can buy top quality stuff in the town and even replacement limbs if you happen to get any knocked off).

RE base stuff, as long as you have an iron node, stone, and some copper around, you are basically self sufficient from the get go. Defending the outpost is the harder part

Another option is supposedly you can just follow around allied armies and jump in the fighting with them and if you get knocked out they'll heal you up at the end of each fight and you can get a good bit of xp and some coin/loot like that, too.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Herstory Begins Now posted:

This is commonly done with trader's leather as well, you'll get 80-90 armoursmithing in an hour or two and a fuckton of money and can pretty much keep it going indefinitely with the supplies in any town with a trader that restocks leather. Produces like 50k a day or so. Getting enough money to hire a bunch of dudes and/or some mercenaries to guard your babby outpost makes all the difference in the world. If you don't want to do the capturing prisoners and beating on them route of improving combat skills, run out to Mongrel and beat on the fogmen near the gate. You can get combat skills up to 30 or so like that quickly (and you can buy top quality stuff in the town and even replacement limbs if you happen to get any knocked off).

RE base stuff, as long as you have an iron node, stone, and some copper around, you are basically self sufficient from the get go. Defending the outpost is the harder part

Another option is supposedly you can just follow around allied armies and jump in the fighting with them and if you get knocked out they'll heal you up at the end of each fight and you can get a good bit of xp and some coin/loot like that, too.

Awesome info here, thank you.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Are crossbows worth a drat? I've got enough money to start looking at more than just survival purchases and the idea of having ranged weapons to soften up targets is appealing.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

For a while, no, because your dudes will just shoot the gently caress out of each other until they get good at not doing that.

They're great to station on walls between mounted crossbows (which own like hell). higher level crossbows with good bolts (heavies) in the hands of decent shooters will drop entire parties before they can get in range of you, it's great. They were nerfed a bit recently, not the crossbows themselves, but the trick used to be to put them in heavy armor so that they don't get murdered in melee, but not heavy armor gives you penalties.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
This game really reminds me of Asheron's Call for some reason. From the art style to the combat to the landscape.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

This was the end of a nasty fight:

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 5, 2018

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I was thinking of building my base in the border between Vain and the Border Zone. Is this a good idea or am I going to be turbo hosed by something?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Carcer posted:

I was thinking of building my base in the border between Vain and the Border Zone. Is this a good idea or am I going to be turbo hosed by something?

I ran across a couple of Dust Bandit camps in the hills there.

I built a stone mine in the valley north of the Hub. That somehow pushed my outpost borders close enough to the Hub that I could I place my refinery buildings and stockpiles immediately next to the copper and iron mines. I've since added a wind generator and a lovely useless greenfruit garden.

Also, do note that there's another bartender with his own inventory in the building directly north of the Hub.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I think my earliest settlements all got hosed by wandering solo shek warriors

Also buy any bonewolves any chance you get, they kill the gently caress out of basically anything that isn't well-armored and high level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Where do you buy animals? I've been using my characters to pack mule resources from Stack and Squin back to my bandanna factory in Hub but I've got enough money now that I'm being limited in what I can buy by the weight of all the things I want.

I'm also at about 8 or 9 people and am starting to really get limited by only owning buildings in town, so I'm probably going to start a settlement soon. Is there any particular place that's a really good idea or am I fine as long as I'm near iron and copper deposits?