Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Ape Agitator posted:

Before I go dusting off old guides about encoding, is embedding lyrics in an mp3 or AAC a thing? I know Album art can be but it's been rolling around in my head that it would be a nice thing to do if there was a source you could draw from.

Apparently you can, I had no idea. Usually what I have seen is the music players get the lyrics from websites (lyrics.wikia.com and others).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Volguus posted:

Apparently you can, I had no idea. Usually what I have seen is the music players get the lyrics from websites (lyrics.wikia.com and others).

Getting more enthused about this little project. Thanks!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Ape Agitator posted:

It's kind of blowing my mind that mp3 really didn't need to evolve over all this time. Feels like everything else technological has but that.

It has evolved, mp3s used to sound like rear end below like 160kbps. Encoders just got a lot smarter about how they compress the data without ending up with swishy garbage

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

There was also software I used about a decade ago that let you A/B test your music files so you can see for yourself how golden your ears are. I forget what I used but it is surely obsolete now anyway, but it made you do five or so blind tests.

mystes
May 31, 2006

baka kaba posted:

It has evolved, mp3s used to sound like rear end below like 160kbps. Encoders just got a lot smarter about how they compress the data without ending up with swishy garbage
Lame has been good at lower bitrates for like two decades; it's just that most people's experience was with very poorly encoded mp3s they got off of napster or something.

Higher bitrates are harder to gently caress up though so it may be safer to stick with 320kbs if you aren't encoding the files yourself(*).

*: Thank you person who pointed this out to me on IRC a million years ago.

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 29, 2018

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

baka kaba posted:

to expand on this: the most frequently used (freeware or distributed with other software) encoders from the early days had really lovely or completely non-existant psychoacoustic models. To encode a good mp3 you had to :filez: a copy of the real-deal fraunhoffer codec.

a whole lot of the cleverness in lossy compressed audio is the psychoacoustic model -- the algorithms that determine how to throw away large quantities of the original sound data, because you can't hear it. The early work on open-source psychoacoustics from lame, vorbis, and musepack is a big part of why they improved so much over early mp3s, and why a new codec like Opus can come along years later and do CD quality at 1/2 the bitrate of mp3.

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy
Is there still no good solution for viewing HEIF photos on Windows? I figured after a year and a few hundred billion HEIF photos taken, there'd at least be something out there to open them without having to convert them.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Fleedar posted:

Is there still no good solution for viewing HEIF photos on Windows? I figured after a year and a few hundred billion HEIF photos taken, there'd at least be something out there to open them without having to convert them.

There is. Microsoft has made an official HEIF codec available on the Windows Store. You can then open your photos using the "Photos" app.

All MS codecs:
HEIF Image Extensions
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/heif-image-extensions/9pmmsr1cgpwg?activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab

HEVC Video Extensions
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer/9n4wgh0z6vhq?activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab

MPEG2 Video Extension
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/mpeg2-video-extension/9n95q1zzpmh4?activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab

Web Media Extensions
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/webmedienerweiterungen/9n5tdp8vcmhs?rtc=1&source=lp&activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Did Microsoft finally fix its update so it won't gently caress up your computer? I haven't used my pc all summer and when I turned it back on I got the prompt to update but I don't want a repeat of the last time I did where I had to reformat the motherfucker

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Calaveron posted:

gently caress

win10.txt

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
In Windows, is there a way to run NordVPN for only some programs, or to use different servers for different programs?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

So I just did a Windows 10 Reset but after taking me to the login screen and saying something like "The domain you are trying to reach does not exist or cannot be contacted" I restarted into the recovery screen to have a look at my options there, but instead it is locked in an infinite loop on startup where it goes "Please wait" as usual, then "Undoing Changes" for maybe seven or eight seconds, then it restarts. My Google-Fu is failing me as all the suggestions are to use the recovery options.

I can get into my BIOS but I can't see anything in there that makes a difference.

Any ideas, or do I need to sort out booting from a USB stick or the like?

E: my dad's going to put a copy of windows on an external drive for me, so no urgency with this question. Still curious though!

e2; Well now I've got a reinstalled Win 10 going but the Settings screen won't open which makes it tricky to do a lot of things. Oh well! :shrug:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 5, 2018

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

How did you install Windows? Have you recreated your setup media lately? This is all very weird. My process is boot from USB (I update the creation media on major update releases), delete all partitions on Windows drive, let it create new ones, and I haven't ever had an issue with Windows after install using this method. Certainly nothing like you are talking about. Always make sure to have a backup of anything important so you can do this if need be, but these days I find this kind of recovery to be very seldom needed. People complain a lot about w10 updates but I haven't had any issues and I always install this way and always keep everything up to date.

I work at a museum and someone asked me for text comparison software.

quote:

I’m looking for something similar to the online site text compare: https://text-compare.com/
I attended a digital preservation workshop a few years ago and they said many archives are using a model in which multiple people transcribe the same handwritten text and software is used to compare the texts for differences. They can then highlight those words for further analysis or add variations to the final transcript. That’s what we are aiming to achieve

Their requirements are fairly basic, I found a plugin for Notepad++ that should do the trick but can anyone recommend any other text comparison software that might be of use to them?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
UltraCompare is fast and does the job well. It has the disadvantage of not being free.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
Beyond Compare is my go-to. Also not free but it has a super deep feature set.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I'm about to drop money on a PDF-xChange license but was wondering if anyone had a cheaper alternative to suggest.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I'm about to drop money on a PDF-xChange license but was wondering if anyone had a cheaper alternative to suggest.

What is it that you want to be able to do?

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Does anybody know how to get Application Guard to work? I've installed it as per these instructions and restarted my computer, but the "New Application Guard Window" option doesn't show up in Edge. I have Win 10 Pro 1803 and virtualization is enabled.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Someone has sent me a Onedrive shared folder to collaborate on. I can view the files via a browser and download a zip file of the lot.
But I'd like a local synced copy if possible, so I just signed up and installed Onedrive with the email address that received the share, but there doesnt seem to be any option to add that 'shared with me' folder.

Is it because of one of the following;
I'm using the free version of OneDrive.
The share was sent to my email address before it was linked to a onedrive account
The share has come from a Office 365 user and I'm not one?

I may have to live with just working though the browser interface.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I could see it being maybe the middle one. The others shouldn't matter, dont need a script to share stuff I dont think

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

If they have a business-provided Office 365 account then that's the reason.

OneDrive for Business, despite the name, was basically just a front for Sharepoint which got a lot less obvious when you stopped needing a OneDrive for Business client and OneDrive started syncing the same stuff, except for legacy architecture reasons that I'm sure Microsoft could solve if they had any incentive the backend is still completely separate and you can't sync folders shared between personal and business users and this is naturally very poorly documented and not communicated in the slightest to either the sharer or the shared-to.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

You can, however, sync a SharePoint library if you have access to the Library, and if the Library has fewer than 2000 items. But yeah: OneDrive personal is more user-friendly than OneDrive for Business.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Yes, the share link opens at customdomain.sharepoint.com, so that'll be it.

I'll go with the web interface for now then. Thanks.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Cross-posting from the Small Shop thread for more eyes on it, my question goes:

“Rookie question: Is there a safe, less than MSFT.com MSRP, means of buying a copy of Server 2016 Standard (and aCALs, but I’m more concerned about the OS)?

Is to go with a SuperMicro X10 series board for a clean, new build. (Long story.. for a boss who wants to set his son up with this for dumb reasons—please don’t get hung on on this part).

What spooks me is a) legitimacy, b) versioning/accuracy (see below), and c) cost, in that order.

Just checking on Amazon (here) turns up a first party fulfilled option, but version choice concerns me. I know the workstation world of retail vs OEM OS licensing, but I am unfamiliar with MSFT’s Open License.

9EM-00118 seems to be Open License, and CDW.com lists that as “Licensing Price: Volume” whereas they list P73-07113 as “OEM.”

Simply put, if I’m white-boxing Server 2016 Standard like one would with the System Builders OEM versions, what SKU do I look for and where should I get it?

I could use a hand-hold on this, please.”

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is there a disk space application that can specifically look at video files, and report which ones are too big? Like, it considers the time length of the video versus how many megabytes the drat thing takes up? I have screen recordings going back about five years and want to throw the fat ones at Handbrake or something.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I want Windows 7 to recognize Russian, Hebrew, and Japanese text (non-Unicode) and programs.

Google tells me that I should go to "Regional and Language", "Administrative", "Change system locale...". But if I switch system locale between any of those 3, do I lose the ability to recognize the other 2? Are there any simpler alternatives?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

doctorfrog posted:

Is there a disk space application that can specifically look at video files, and report which ones are too big? Like, it considers the time length of the video versus how many megabytes the drat thing takes up? I have screen recordings going back about five years and want to throw the fat ones at Handbrake or something.

I don't have a full solution, but if I couldn't find a tool that does this directly I would set up my Windows Explorer view to show columns for bitrate and length etc and then find a tool that lets me save the window view as text. Failing that maybe a Powershell script that can parse Windows extended attributes. Then I'd get it into Excel and do some math to work out which files were inefficient based on filesize and bitrate or whatever metric makes sense.

There's a link here where they talk about VBA solutions and other info, if you are in a position to write something yourself.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

doctorfrog posted:

Handbrake can batch queue files, and processing power is cheap these days. Why bother to analyze them? Just sort them by file type and compress the most egregious files (like uncompressed AVI, digital camera files, etc) in batch. Maybe say < 500 megabytes you wont bother, no matter the video length.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Xander77 posted:

But if I switch system locale between any of those 3, do I lose the ability to recognize the other 2? Are there any simpler alternatives?

The point of the non-Unicode setting is to say 'assume all non-Unicode programs are using language X' so yes, you can only have one of those effective at a time. I'm not aware of any alternatives though it feels like it'd be technically possible for something to trap standard text output and modify it as necessary.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Quick question to see if anyone knows off the top of their head?

I am running the finalize step on File Service migration wizard
It will be a while, but when I leave site I can't log in remotely but this is my maintenance window so I've just gotta suck that one up...

Do I need to sit here and press the ok button when it finishes, or will the share be available if I just walk out now? :D I'm confident all the drive mapping stuff will be fine.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Xander77 posted:

I want Windows 7 to recognize Russian, Hebrew, and Japanese text (non-Unicode) and programs.

Google tells me that I should go to "Regional and Language", "Administrative", "Change system locale...". But if I switch system locale between any of those 3, do I lose the ability to recognize the other 2? Are there any simpler alternatives?

Try Locale Emulator. It’s not perfect, but it might be better than changing the system locale.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Gromit posted:

I don't have a full solution, but if I couldn't find a tool that does this directly I would set up my Windows Explorer view to show columns for bitrate and length etc and then find a tool that lets me save the window view as text. Failing that maybe a Powershell script that can parse Windows extended attributes. Then I'd get it into Excel and do some math to work out which files were inefficient based on filesize and bitrate or whatever metric makes sense.
Hm, I think I can do this with FreeCommander and Excel. Not the braindead easy solution I was hoping for, but should work, thanks!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

This is probably a better place to ask this: i'm just making sure i'm not crazy: it shouldn't be difficult to modify a group policy such that someone's machine is capable of running commands longer than 250ish characters, right? i'm asking this client to change their policy and they're acting like it's some insane unprecedented ask and i'm kind of blown away that they're making such a big deal about this

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Rex-Goliath posted:

This is probably a better place to ask this: i'm just making sure i'm not crazy: it shouldn't be difficult to modify a group policy such that someone's machine is capable of running commands longer than 250ish characters, right? i'm asking this client to change their policy and they're acting like it's some insane unprecedented ask and i'm kind of blown away that they're making such a big deal about this

Are you sure it's an issue? Microsoft says the limit is 8191 characters.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I had them move the root folder all the way up to c:// so the file path to the bat file they're running is roughly 25 chars. The .bat file itself is roughly 260 chars. I'm convinced that they have their machines configured in some sort of legacy DOS mode but their help desk is absolutely refusing to do anything about it. I've never had this issue with any other customers and frankly I'm at my wits end because my job isn't at all to solve these kinds of problems.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Rex-Goliath posted:

I had them move the root folder all the way up to c:// so the file path to the bat file they're running is roughly 25 chars. The .bat file itself is roughly 260 chars. I'm convinced that they have their machines configured in some sort of legacy DOS mode but their help desk is absolutely refusing to do anything about it. I've never had this issue with any other customers and frankly I'm at my wits end because my job isn't at all to solve these kinds of problems.

Oh, gotcha; the article I linked was talking about how long a string can be in the command prompt (including switches, etc.), but you're talking about path length. 260 characters has been the basic limit for a long, long time, but it's possible to go longer as of Windows 10:

quote:

Starting in Windows 10, version 1607, MAX_PATH limitations have been removed from common Win32 file and directory functions. However, you must opt-in to the new behavior.

A registry key allows you to enable or disable the new long path behavior. To enable long path behavior set the registry key at HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem LongPathsEnabled (Type: REG_DWORD). The key's value will be cached by the system (per process) after the first call to an affected Win32 file or directory function (list follows). The registry key will not be reloaded during the lifetime of the process. In order for all apps on the system to recognize the value of the key, a reboot might be required because some processes may have started before the key was set.

The registry key can also be controlled via Group Policy at Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Filesystem > Enable NTFS long paths.

You can also enable the new long path behavior per app via the manifest:

code:
<application xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
    <windowsSettings xmlns:ws2="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2016/WindowsSettings">
        <ws2:longPathAware>true</ws2:longPathAware>
    </windowsSettings>
</application>

If the comment posted to the article is right, you have to enable long paths via GPO/regedit AND opt-in per app.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Toast Museum posted:

Oh, gotcha; the article I linked was talking about how long a string can be in the command prompt (including switches, etc.), but you're talking about path length. 260 characters has been the basic limit for a long, long time, but it's possible to go longer as of Windows 10:

If the comment posted to the article is right, you have to enable long paths via GPO/regedit AND opt-in per app.

I don’t think even Windows Explorer supports long path names, so good luck with whatever bizarro setup they have.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Toast Museum posted:

Yep that was the article I sent to their IT and they're insisting that it still isn't working. Oh well

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Are they definitely on Windows 10 1607 or newer? Also, does this file absolutely have to have such a long name?

Double Punctuation posted:

I don’t think even Windows Explorer supports long path names, so good luck with whatever bizarro setup they have.

Yeah, I just enabled long names on my home PC with local group policy, and I still couldn't make crazy long paths with File Explorer. PowerShell wasn't having it either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Note that OneDrive doesn't support pathnames that long.