Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
There’s so much questionable stuff in Forbidden Zone, but it’s a really fun film with an amazing soundtrack and I rewatch it 4 or 5 times a year. A friend who’s a huge Oingo Boingo fan convinced me to buy a German import blu for $40 years ago and I’ve never regretted it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I really should get Forbidden Zone. One of my cinematography mentors worked on it back in the day and I've been meaning to show it to him and jumpstart that nostalgia.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Forbidden Zone is awesome because it's exactly what a post-code Fleischer cartoon would look like in live-action.

I, Butthole posted:

It's taken me forever but I finally sat down and powered through Flicker Alley's collection of American Avant-garde and Experimental films. Some real hidden gems in there, most of them look incredible, and surprisingly a lot of them made my rear end in a top hat cat zen out and just watch the screen. Highly recommended.

N.Y., N.Y. alone is worth getting the set, but there's a ton of great stuff.

I really wish more avant-garde film was on Blu-ray. Not much besides this, Criterion's Brakhage and Frampton sets, and Kino's Mekas double feature.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

I really wish more avant-garde film was on Blu-ray. Not much besides this, Criterion's Brakhage and Frampton sets, and Kino's Mekas double feature.

I assume the Bill Morrison set is good; I bought Decasia solo so I can only speak for it but it’s gorgeous in motion.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm definitely down for Torso, and perhaps Candyman.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Torso and Your Vice is a Locked Room were both let downs for me, I just don't really enjoy Martino I guess.

I think some other company(probably Shout Factory) is also putting out Candyman around the same time, with the same new transfer.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

12 Monkeys is a surprise. I honestly thought Criterion would be getting it, but it looks like Arrow has a US deal with Universal now after their export of The Day of the Jackal.

According to the press release, it's a new 4K remaster from the negative.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I'll pick up 12 Monkeys, City of the Living Dead and Schlock but think I'll go with Scream for Candyman.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Anything new on the City of the Living Dead Bluray? I already have the one they released before.

EDIT: Nevermind, saw it. New 4k restoration.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 28, 2018

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
The Shield on Blu-Ray in November! gently caress yes plz!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Today's a significant day. I'm helping my mother clean out her garage.

Among the items I'm loading up to take to the thrift store are my last 4x3 CRT monitor (which I bought in 2004 for college) and my second DVD player (also purchased in 2004 for college). Even my mother finally bought a Blu-ray player earlier this year. No more SD-only anything.

Also found a few CEDs (The African Queen, The Wizard of Oz, Singin' in the Rain, and the '48 Joan of Arc), as well as a box of Betamax tapes I saved from destruction at my high school back in 2002. The tapes seem to contain recordings of plays, football games, and stuff from the high school from 1981-1983. Probably should contact the county historical society if they want them. I did play one of them with a Betamax player before it died (which was also to be tossed), so they seem to still work.

I guess I should find someone who can transfer the Betamax tapes?

Also, also, I forgot I still had a 60s Bell & Howell 8mm projector and a few reels. I've wanted to retrofit it with LEDs so I don't have to worry about it melting.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 28, 2018

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You should take pictures and post it on the tech relics page

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Today's a significant day. I'm helping my mother clean out her garage.

Among the items I'm loading up to take to the thrift store are my last 4x3 CRT monitor (which I bought in 2004 for college) and my second DVD player (also purchased in 2004 for college). Even my mother finally bought a Blu-ray player earlier this year. No more SD-only anything.

Also found a few CEDs (The African Queen, The Wizard of Oz, Singin' in the Rain, and the '48 Joan of Arc), as well as a box of Betamax tapes I saved from destruction at my high school back in 2002. The tapes seem to contain recordings of plays, football games, and stuff from the high school from 1981-1983. Probably should contact the county historical society if they want them. I did play one of them with a Betamax player before it died (which was also to be tossed), so they seem to still work.

I guess I should find someone who can transfer the Betamax tapes?

Also, also, I forgot I still had a 60s Bell & Howell 8mm projector and a few reels. I've wanted to retrofit it with LEDs so I don't have to worry about it melting.

History will want those betamax tapes. The things on them are the things people never bother to archive. Do digitize them if you at all find a way to do it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Empress Brosephine posted:

:emptyquote:

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Boywhiz88 posted:

The Shield on Blu-Ray in November! gently caress yes plz!

I hope this gives it a second wind among the public. It was overshadowed by The Wire for much of its run. What a fantastic show, and it had one of the greatest endings ever.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I hope this gives it a second wind among the public. It was overshadowed by The Wire for much of its run. What a fantastic show, and it had one of the greatest endings ever.
I mean, The Wire is better, but The Shield is easily number two in whatever genre you want to lump those two in. They really did nail that ending.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Shout! Factory posted:

They're back and ready to devour your Blu-ray player!

Order The Critters Collection from ShoutFactory.com and get an exclusive 28.5" X 16.5" ROLLED LITHOGRAPH featuring our brand new artwork, plus a second exclusive 28.5" X 16.5" ROLLED LITHOGRAPH featuring our alternative new artwork (limited to the first 1,000 pre-orders)! Also get it shipped TWO WEEKS EARLY!

Get yours here: https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/the-critters-collection

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

May I have a link to this thread?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

mallratcal posted:

I'll pick up 12 Monkeys, City of the Living Dead and Schlock but think I'll go with Scream for Candyman.

What’s the difference between the two?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
What the hell, man. Critters 1 is the critter. Critters 2 is supposed to have the big criteball. A shameful collection

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

FilthyImp posted:

What the hell, man. Critters 1 is the critter. Critters 2 is supposed to have the big criteball. A shameful collection

Yeah they kinda poo poo the bed with the cover art. Here's what they should have gone with:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MacheteZombie posted:

May I have a link to this thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3756559&perpage=40&pagenumber=308

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Thank you kind goon! :tipshat:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

TIL that RCA-Columbia used to distribute New Line on video.

Also, pics of the CEDs I found in my garage:

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

i left a huge stack of CEDs on the sidewalk last time i moved because gently caress carrying all that to yet another location

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The only Critters 2 artwork I've ever seen is the guy holding up the 2.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

What’s the difference between the two?

For me it's price (SF will be $10 cheaper) and convenience (only have 1 region free player). The transfer is going to be the same and the special features so far look to be the same.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

david_a posted:

I mean, The Wire is better, but The Shield is easily number two in whatever genre you want to lump those two in. They really did nail that ending.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to say that The Shield was better, only that even when you are incredibly good, you are going to be overshadowed when the GOAT is on at the same time.

Christ, that ending. The last four or so episodes are as good as it gets. They managed to make virtually every insane, lovely, berserk thing that the Strike Team/Mackey did over five seasons actually matter and come into play. And Shane's final arc was loving devastating.

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 29, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Teenage Fansub posted:

The only Critters 2 artwork I've ever seen is the guy holding up the 2.

Yeah that’s the one I mainly know too. The only bit I remember from the movie is the shapeshifted centerfold pulling the staple out of her belly, probably due to me watching it when I was 12 or so. Never saw the other sequels, not sure if I should change that just to see a young DiCaprio.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hmm. impawards.com just has this for the theatrical poster.

http://www.impawards.com/1988/critters_two.html
The Critterball one has icons for VHS and Beta, so maybe that came later.

Meanwhile, I've never seen this art for the original http://www.impawards.com/1986/critters.html

That's wild.

edit: Critters 1 has a ton of weird international posters.
https://www.cinematerial.com/movies/critters-i90887
Apparently it's called "Critters in Special Cops" in Pakastan.

and C4's theatrical just reuses the C3 graphic posted earlier.

Man.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jul 29, 2018

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Yeah, I wasn't trying to say that The Shield was better, only that even when you are incredibly good, you are going to be overshadowed when the GOAT is on at the same time.

Christ, that ending. The last four or so episodes are as good as it gets. They managed to make virtually every insane, lovely, berserk thing that the Strike Team/Mackey did over five seasons actually matter and come into play. And Shane's final arc was loving devastating.

The final season surpassed the last season of THE WIRE for me, which I think is the only real misstep that show made. I didn't really care for the serial killer storyline, and most of the newspaper thread felt like Simon airing some very specific grievences.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

business hammocks posted:

History will want those betamax tapes. The things on them are the things people never bother to archive. Do digitize them if you at all find a way to do it.

But the historical society won't. I'd say get them digitized by a service then upload them to Archive.org for future generations to use as they please.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I got really hyped about The Shield release news earlier in the thread, finally looked it up and Mill Creek are doing the release. I wasn't a huge fan of how they've handled transfers in the past, so hopefully it comes out alright?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

TIL that RCA-Columbia used to distribute New Line on video.

Also, pics of the CEDs I found in my garage:

I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't know this format existed. Now I want them.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Nothing's cooler than video vinyl.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

How does the a/v quality compare to VHS?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Comparable, but prone to playback errors now from this guy's experience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LrPe0rwXOU&t=1323s
Look through his channel if you're interested in failed AV tech.

D-VHS was a good one since he uploaded an early HD digital video demo tape of 1993 NYC. It's like someone time traveled with a camera from 20 years later.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT4lDU-QLUY

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 29, 2018

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Comparable, but prone to playback errors now from this guy's experience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LrPe0rwXOU&t=1323s
Look through his channel if you're interested in failed AV tech.

D-VHS was a good one since he uploaded an early HD digital video demo tape of 1993 NYC. It's like someone time traveled with a camera from 20 years later.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT4lDU-QLUY

Maybe the last few years of nazi agitation have made me paranoid, but I for sure did a double-take when this dude showed up and objected to being filmed. "Support the third" ...what? I can only think of one thing that was the third of something that those runes were meant to support.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

"Support the third street crew"
He's a Hell's Angel. The use of Nazi symbols in gangs like theirs (edit: and 70/80's punk rockers) doesn't always correlate with Nazi values.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlaw_motorcycle_club#Other_patches

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I guess I never associated the Hell's Angels with screen-print sweatshirts. I really miss living in a time when you could see nazi iconography and reasonably assume it wasn't endorsing nazism.