Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Megasabin posted:

Do people like the 55G of the Variable for the Topre Realforce 87U?

It’s really a touch typist board with the variable as you improve your zoning with the feel of the keys.

That being said I have a 55g uniform and love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Curious, but what does touch typing mean now? I thought it just meant being able to type without looking at the keys and has nothing to do with how much finger pressure you use.

eta: I ask because this isn't the first time I've seen the term used in relation to finger pressure. Has the definition changed since I was a little school boy?

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 22, 2018

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Curious, but what does touch typing mean now? I thought it just meant being able to type without looking at the keys and has nothing to do with how much finger pressure you use.

eta: I ask because this isn't the first time I've seen the term used in relation to finger pressure. Has the definition changed since I was a little school boy?

It’s a specific thing and always has been, I can type just fine without looking at the keys but true touch typing is a technique that standardized what fingers touch what keys so the variable pressure is organized like that.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Why does different weights for different fingers matter, though? Does it help you get a feeling for where you are on the keyboard if you get your hands in the wrong position, specifically for typing while not looking at the screen? I don't really see 15-20g making that big of a difference to your pinkie fingers.

I mean, going off of the Wikipedia definition, I thought most people who grew up with computers did touch typing.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

ColHannibal posted:

It’s a specific thing and always has been, I can type just fine without looking at the keys but true touch typing is a technique that standardized what fingers touch what keys so the variable pressure is organized like that.

Oh okay. That actually makes sense. Thanks!

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Why does different weights for different fingers matter, though? Does it help you get a feeling for where you are on the keyboard if you get your hands in the wrong position, specifically for typing while not looking at the screen? I don't really see 15-20g making that big of a difference to your pinkie fingers.

I mean, going off of the Wikipedia definition, I thought most people who grew up with computers did touch typing.

I grew up with computers, I learned to type by trial and error from online gaming.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I am now convinced that I somehow hosed up the switches on my keyboard's spacebar when I changed keycaps. The spacebar is noticeably less responsive and slower to push down than the other keys. Is there some way I can diagnose/fix this?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Your switches are fine. You likely didn't install the spacebar properly and the stabilizers aren't pushed into the spacebar all the way. Also, if your spacebar is not completely straight, it'll cause the stabilizers to kind of catch or straight up make the key pop up on one side.

Just take the spacebar off, inspect if it's crooked by putting on a table. If it's straight, go ahead and re-install and make sure the stabilizers are fit in properly. (this is all assuming you have Cherry stabs btw)

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I tried taking the spacebar off and replacing it a couple of times and had no luck; so I've gone back to the original spacebar for now; and everything feels fine. I'm glad I was just overreacting! It's too bad the new spacebar wasn't a good fit. Maybe it's a manufacturing problem, or maybe I'm just not installing it properly.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Montalvo posted:

I tried taking the spacebar off and replacing it a couple of times and had no luck; so I've gone back to the original spacebar for now; and everything feels fine. I'm glad I was just overreacting! It's too bad the new spacebar wasn't a good fit. Maybe it's a manufacturing problem, or maybe I'm just not installing it properly.

It can only go on two ways. Likely it is warped. If you place it on a flat surface you'll probably see it curving up and you can rock it back and forth. Depending on where you got the space bar, you could email the company/retailer and say it was warped and if they could send you a new one.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Yeah that's one of the cons with PBT unfortunately. You could try straightening it out yourself with a hairdryer, something like what this crazy person did: http://i.imgur.com/TVSmBJw.jpg

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah, y'all are right -- if I put the spacebar down on a flat surface it does rock a little bit, especially if I press it down on the right side. I'm not in too much of a hurry to get a refund because these were literally the most bog standard PBT caps I could find on Amazon (I just wanted something to get rid of the horrible font on the caps that come with the Magicforce keyboard). I've made do by replacing some of the original keycaps so now I have a blend of white and cyan keys.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I've been looking for an inexpensive tkl with brown switches of whatever type, sans backlight (or just with a backlight that can be turned off).

At the moment, I'm looking at the Velocifire TKL02 & TKL01, which are both ~$34 on Amazon at the moment (I assumed you could turn off the backlight). Are there any other keyboards on particular I should look at, ideally under $40 - this is a second keyboard for the office.

mewse
May 2, 2006

foutre posted:

I've been looking for an inexpensive tkl with brown switches of whatever type, sans backlight (or just with a backlight that can be turned off).

At the moment, I'm looking at the Velocifire TKL02 & TKL01, which are both ~$34 on Amazon at the moment (I assumed you could turn off the backlight). Are there any other keyboards on particular I should look at, ideally under $40 - this is a second keyboard for the office.

I love the velocifire full size.

That TKL02 looks like it has everything I liked about mine - non-obnoxious keycaps, subdued backlighting, decent brown switches.

And yeah backlight is able to be turned off on mine, I think it's Fn+Up/Down to adjust backlight levels

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

mewse posted:

I love the velocifire full size.

That TKL02 looks like it has everything I liked about mine - non-obnoxious keycaps, subdued backlighting, decent brown switches.

And yeah backlight is able to be turned off on mine, I think it's Fn+Up/Down to adjust backlight levels

Seconding this. If/when I change jobs I'm going to have to pick one up to take with me.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Perfect, I'll go for that then.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Have Browns changed in the last 5 years? My main CODE w/clears is dying and I'm falling back to a QuickFire Pro with Browns from 5-6 years ago. I think I want to go back to Blues.

mewse
May 2, 2006

a helpful bear posted:

Have Browns changed in the last 5 years? My main CODE w/clears is dying and I'm falling back to a QuickFire Pro with Browns from 5-6 years ago. I think I want to go back to Blues.

I think the thing that's changed with browns is that cherry browns seem to be the worst, gritty browns from any manufacturer now.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I think the retooling last year fixed a lot of the scratchiness, any Cherry switches made after February or March of 2017 should be acceptably smooth. Though I'm sure there's still a ton of stock out there with the old scratchy switches so who even knows.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Thanks. Went for an impulse buy on a new RGB board with blues... Redragon

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Redragon are by all accounts solid entry-level boards. I was considering getting one but I decided I would rather have browns than blues because even a brown is loud enough and I didn't want my wife to beat me over the head with a blue switch board.

I also really didn't want her to try and like a blue switch board because she already makes as much noise with a rubber dome keyboard as most people do with blues.

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018
Ugh on the one hand I really like my many years old das keyboard and it has absolutely zero issues. On the other hand whenever I read keyboard chat I wish I had a better excuse to get a new one.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

a_good_username posted:

Ugh on the one hand I really like my many years old das keyboard and it has absolutely zero issues. On the other hand whenever I read keyboard chat I wish I had a better excuse to get a new one.

Try constantly spilling beer onto your expensive keyboard and never getting all of it up so that it starts malfunctioning well out of warranty range and definitely not because of factory defects.

Just an idea and certainly not related to an experience I'm currently going through.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The first time I spilled wine all over my keyboard was the last time I had any liquid at my desk ever.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

The first time I spilled wine all over my keyboard was the last time I had any liquid at my desk ever.

Do you just shotgun beers on the porch when the raid takes a pee break

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've got a corsair k95 and its just started loving up when i have the lights enabled. constantly opening the start menu and turning off and on and a bunch of other stuff. If i turn it off using the keyboard buttons ti all stops lol. what the gently caress is going on

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Jose posted:

I've got a corsair k95 and its just started loving up when i have the lights enabled. constantly opening the start menu and turning off and on and a bunch of other stuff. If i turn it off using the keyboard buttons ti all stops lol. what the gently caress is going on

It’s hosed, sounds like a short somewhere in the traces involving LED power. I would ask Corsair for a new one as that seems like a manufacturing defect if you have never had a spill.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i haven't but i left the lights off for a while and it started working fine. might twitter at them though

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

mewse posted:

Do you just shotgun beers on the porch when the raid takes a pee break

I strictly shotgun beers on the deck.

I've never had a problem with spilling drinks on my desk tho.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Jose posted:

I just started getting similar behavior out of my K95 RGB recently and traced it to the iCUE software loving up and having generated a nonsense macro that was attached to one of my G keys. One mispress while going for tab and suddenly everything's going crazy.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Is there a website that just sells tons of blank different colored PBT keycaps (or whatever keycap brand is considered nice & better than the default stuff WASD keyboards come with?) I have a specific design I'd like to make in mind that I designed using WASD keyboards color options, but if their keycaps are crap, I'd rather get nice ones and do it myself.

If people plan on using custom keycaps, what is considered the best actual keyboard? I guess it would be referred to as the casing/frame/mounting and switches? Does any one company have a gold standard case if you plan to replace the keycaps anyway?

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 28, 2018

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Maxkeys will do blank keys with per-key color choice for $20, no idea on the quality though.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Megasabin posted:

Is there a website that just sells tons of blank different colored PBT keycaps (or whatever keycap brand is considered nice & better than the default stuff WASD keyboards come with?) I have a specific design I'd like to make in mind that I designed using WASD keyboards color options, but if their keycaps are crap, I'd rather get nice ones and do it myself.

If people plan on using custom keycaps, what is considered the best actual keyboard? I guess it would be referred to as the casing/frame/mounting and switches? Does any one company have a gold standard case if you plan to replace the keycaps anyway?

https://pimpmykeyboard.com/

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Any recommendations on best ergo keyboards? There's some great ones that are $300ish as recommended by reddit. I was hoping something more around $100

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
https://keeb.io/collections/frontpage/products/iris-keyboard-split-ergonomic-keyboard?variant=2650673709086

Depending on your case options, switches, and keycaps of course.

For me the full board minus switches and caps was $70.

Nondescript Van fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 29, 2018

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

How does it feel typing on the Iris? I am wondering if I should try an ergonomic split board one of these days

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Are there any hot-swapable boards anyone would recommend? There are a lot of switches that sound interesting, but you can only get a real feel for them by using a board, and I'm not willing to drop multiple hundreds of dollars on a variety of keyboards just to see if I like, say, clears, greens, or navys better.

For reference I have a monoprice blue at home I'm ready to move on from, and a velocifire brown at work I love (for work at least), but I wouldn't call it perfect and I really want to know what all is out there.

mewse
May 2, 2006

ItBreathes posted:

Are there any hot-swapable boards anyone would recommend? There are a lot of switches that sound interesting, but you can only get a real feel for them by using a board, and I'm not willing to drop multiple hundreds of dollars on a variety of keyboards just to see if I like, say, clears, greens, or navys better.

For reference I have a monoprice blue at home I'm ready to move on from, and a velocifire brown at work I love (for work at least), but I wouldn't call it perfect and I really want to know what all is out there.

Glorious GMMK

e: I got a "Aitalk Z-88" from amazon that I thought would be the same thing as the gmmk and it's a piece of poo poo

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"
Fun Shoe

ItBreathes posted:

Seconding the GMMK.

A cheaper option would be the Team Wolf Zhuque. Got mine for 30 Euro and they came with Outemu Blues, which are actually pretty decent.
Edit: Just make sure to turn of the LEDs, unless you're into making your keyboard look like Rainbow Brite's.

Cosmic Web fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Does the gmmk have any programmable layers? I checked their website and didn't see anything regarding it. I don't think I could go back to using a keyboard that didn't let me use the poker 3 layout, but hot swappable switches sounds wonderful.