Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

mcmagic posted:

What am I saying that is wrong? They are playing like crap.

Right or wrong, maybe look at how many times you've said it on this page alone?

e: Hell yeah, that's how you start a new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Baseball days off are so dumb. Hicks, Torres and Andujar all played in both games anyway.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012
Who the gently caress is Luke Voit?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AppropriateUser posted:

Looks like some 27 year old guy who hit some in the minors but not in the majors.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse
Bye Chasen Shreve, maybe one of the most "just-a-guy" Yankees we've had in a while

Troxartas fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 2, 2018

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

AppropriateUser posted:

The Cardinals version of Schwarber

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Apparently it was to clear the 40 man spot and get the international pool cash.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

I'm generally down on bird, but he barely missed 2 homeruns today and then finally got that late one tonight. Combined with some other hard luck outs the past few days. Would really be nice if he started coming on to pick up the slack while judge was out.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Iodised QQ posted:

I'm generally down on bird, but he barely missed 2 homeruns today and then finally got that late one tonight. Combined with some other hard luck outs the past few days. Would really be nice if he started coming on to pick up the slack while judge was out.

Bird is like the starters with "Great Stuff™" that just don't seem to get past the third inning much. That swing is a thing of beauty, and he *almost* is mashing the ball all the time. Then just when you are going to give up on him he hits one out and you say "okay, I'll give him another shot."

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

They have no choice but to play Bird and Walker every day now. Hopefully they keep hitting.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

ihatepants posted:

Man, Sevy has hit a wall and hasn’t pitched well since that game against Boston on the 1st. Getting blown out by the Royals is unacceptable.

This isn't Sonny Gray in April bad. He's looked fine and then fallen apart. E.g., the last Rays start where he was fine before the defense hosed him, and then he promptly gave up the HR.

Anyway, Chasen Shreve sucks and always has, but I'm not a fan of the recent trade away all the depth because otherwise they'll lose it in the Rule V draft strategy. Those deals will still be there after the season. We've already been hosed by trading away too many corner OF bats, and now we don't have Frazier/Judge insurance. Relievers are volatile too, and now we have less leeway if some start going bad.

I'm also mad that the Yankees were historically good at developing fringe talent from 2015-2017, and keep getting 60-80 cents on the dollar for a lot of them.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

This isn't Sonny Gray in April bad. He's looked fine and then fallen apart. E.g., the last Rays start where he was fine before the defense hosed him, and then he promptly gave up the HR.

Anyway, Chasen Shreve sucks and always has, but I'm not a fan of the recent trade away all the depth because otherwise they'll lose it in the Rule V draft strategy. Those deals will still be there after the season. We've already been hosed by trading away too many corner OF bats, and now we don't have Frazier/Judge insurance. Relievers are volatile too, and now we have less leeway if some start going bad.

I'm also mad that the Yankees were historically good at developing fringe talent from 2015-2017, and keep getting 60-80 cents on the dollar for a lot of them.

None of the guys they traded have really had any success anywhere else other than I guess Pierce who is magically a good hitter now with Boston. The Frazier injury is worse than any of these trades as far as what is hurting the current depth. He would be here playing every day.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Kim Jong Il posted:

He's given up 33 hits, 7 homers and 19 earned runs in his last 19 1/3 innings. That's pretty bad and arguably worse than Gray's April. And he looks like he's getting progressively worse each time out. He's likely either in a dead arm phase or tipping his pitches (because it looked like the Royals were all over his fastball today). Either way, if he doesn't improve and pitch like the ace the team needs, the team is in serious trouble.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/_dadler/status/1023650290749394944?s=20

Relief pitchers are so loving volatile.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

ihatepants posted:

He's given up 33 hits, 7 homers and 19 earned runs in his last 19 1/3 innings. That's pretty bad and arguably worse than Gray's April. And he looks like he's getting progressively worse each time out. He's likely either in a dead arm phase or tipping his pitches (because it looked like the Royals were all over his fastball today). Either way, if he doesn't improve and pitch like the ace the team needs, the team is in serious trouble.

I don't give a poo poo about grounders that find a hole because Andujar and Walker are defensive butchers. His problem is he's giving up too many homers, but again watching the games, it seemed like more of a confidence thing after his teammates failed him.

mcmagic posted:

None of the guys they traded have really had any success anywhere else other than I guess Pierce who is magically a good hitter now with Boston. The Frazier injury is worse than any of these trades as far as what is hurting the current depth. He would be here playing every day.

Pearce?

The Yankees over the past few years have been simultaneously one of the best run franchises in baseball, and far too surrendering of MLB talent in trades because of 40 man roster issues. Gamel, Cave, McKinney, Pazos, Fowler, Caleb Smith, and with the small chance Luis Torrens turns into something, and all the random RHP relievers they've traded. That's better than at least the track record of 10 teams in developing MLB talent over that time span.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 29, 2018

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

Pearce?

The Yankees over the past few years have been simultaneously one of the best run franchises in baseball, and far too surrendering of MLB talent in trades because of 40 man roster issues. Gamel, Cave, McKinney, Pazos, Fowler, Caleb Smith, and with the small chance Luis Torrens turns into something, and all the random RHP relievers they've traded. That's better than at least the track record of 10 teams in developing MLB talent over that time span.

There are no guys on that list who they should really regret trading.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
They didn't trade Luis Torrens.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So when the Yanks traded Shreve they got some extra international pool bonus money. They then used that money to sign the #1 international pitching prospect. He's a 16 year old Cuban kid who throws 95 mph.

Cashman is a wizard.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

RCarr posted:

So when the Yanks traded Shreve they got some extra international pool bonus money. They then used that money to sign the #1 international pitching prospect. He's a 16 year old Cuban kid who throws 95 mph.

Cashman is a wizard.

It’s going to be awesome when he is in AA in 6 years!!!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Tyler Austin was just pulled from the game, so something must be in the pipe.

Also the Yankees are trying to build their own Ohtani and it's lovably insane.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 30, 2018

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Abreau?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dermis Garcia. They're going from position player with insane power and trying to add pitching.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1024052113746391042?s=20

Edit: This could be why Austin was pulled. Maybe he’s getting called up and not traded.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

wonder what the return is on Warren

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

wonder what the return is on Warren

https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/1024061316124868610?s=19

Gotta be a lead-up to something bigger.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

Gotta be a lead-up to something bigger.

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1024066587962351626

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Very weird that they would give Warren away for nothing. He's had a very good year... Especially to a team that might be playing them in the WC game.

Another thing I don't like is giving up some huge package for Chris Archer. He's not an elite pitcher.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1024070096975736833

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Lance Lynn sucks. Austin is a starting 1B for like 15 teams at least. Terrible trade.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

mcmagic posted:

Lance Lynn sucks. Austin is a starting 1B for like 15 teams at least. Terrible trade.

Tyler " career .230/.287/.459" Austin is a top half starting 1B, alright lol. this might be your worst take to date

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

Tyler " career .230/.287/.459" Austin is a top half starting 1B, alright lol. this might be your worst take to date

I would bet that Austin will hit 30 homers in the majors multiple times. He's a good player and they got back garbage for him.

https://twitter.com/DomenicLanza/status/1024073661270163457

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 31, 2018

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

did you forget that he got embarrassed at the plate by every right handed pitcher who threw harder than 91?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

did you forget that he got embarrassed at the plate by every right handed pitcher who threw harder than 91?

It's not uncommon for a young player to have trouble with L/R splits... He has less than 250 MLB AB's and he clearly has great power. I hate giving him away for nothing.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

His July actually is decent overall, his ERA is just inflated for the month because he gave up 7 runs in 1 inning against the Cubs. Also, Tyler Austin sucks and is a platoon bat against lefties at the very best. He was striking out at almost 50% of his at bats against RHP.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Even if you hate Austin as a player, compare Adam Warren's stats this year to Lance Lynn's. Ridiculous.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Even if you hate Austin as a player, compare Adam Warren's stats this year to Lance Lynn's. Ridiculous.

This is nothing but speculation, but I have a sinking feeling that they traded for Lynn because they need to DL Severino. I don't really like the trade, either, but it wasn't absolutely awful because Austin is out of options after this year anyway.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Tyler Austin loving sucks but he is not as poo poo as mcmagics takes

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ihatepants posted:

This is nothing but speculation, but I have a sinking feeling that they traded for Lynn because they need to DL Severino. I don't really like the trade, either, but it wasn't absolutely awful because Austin is out of options after this year anyway.

If Severino is out they are hosed no matter what.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Oh poo poo, Lance Lynn's interview style in the New York media. Holy poo poo, this could be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/1024080087606599680

Can't say I agree with any of this.

• Locked thread