Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He put in more effort to save that kid that. He did getting back to his wife and son. If you wanted to you could read that as either being him taking over his father's obsession or by giving himself up to a greater cause. That cause being the us military however makes me uncomfortable, even if Edwards makes the military out to be complete chumps all film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This is why you need to have the aliens of Pacific Rim open a rift between Rim Earth and Legendary Earth

They try sending Kaiju into Legendary Earth

poo poo their pants and flee

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Arcsquad12 posted:

He put in more effort to save that kid that. He did getting back to his wife and son. If you wanted to you could read that as either being him taking over his father's obsession or by giving himself up to a greater cause. That cause being the us military however makes me uncomfortable, even if Edwards makes the military out to be complete chumps all film.

I read that as the guy not being the type to try to do the impossible, like crossing the Pacific on his own or trying to make a bureaucratic machine like the military (or FEMA) care about him more than everyone else affected by the disaster. It's a counterpoint to the military repeatedly trying and failing to do anything about the MUTOs and Godzilla (see also: "let them fight"). He could stop that kid from falling from the train and watch over him for a while, though.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Shin Godzilla milieu seems to be "utterly mundane current world but with an awakened Lovecraftian Great Old One running amok" and it'd be really really difficult to introduce MechaGodzilla into that without changing it too much and having to skip ahead a few decades in technologic advancements or introduce crazy alien tech. We couldn't even build anything like the Gotengo using current technology and MechaGodzilla is quite a few steps beyond that. But a story about dozens of layers of Japanese bureaucracy working together to develop a Godzilla-fighting machine would be pretty wonderful. :allears:

I think the Legendary Monsterverse might have the same problems, their setting is a bit too 'grounded' for Monarch to suddenly start rolling out Jaegers.

Yea, that was one of my hold ups in that MechaG would kind of come out of nowhere, even if you exposition out that humans learned to use Godzilla's special elements and other handwaving. But then of all the monsters, the giant robot is right in both directors wheel well.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
MechaG to me also feels a bit out of place next to the awe-inspiring forces of nature that Legendary seems to be going for with its kaiju. I think I'd much rather have Hedorah, Biollante, maybe SpaceGodzilla.

Though if you want to go the Kiryu route, Monarch does have an intact Godzilla skeleton already at hand.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

The Shin Godzilla milieu seems to be "utterly mundane current world but with an awakened Lovecraftian Great Old One running amok" and it'd be really really difficult to introduce MechaGodzilla into that without changing it too much and having to skip ahead a few decades in technologic advancements or introduce crazy alien tech. We couldn't even build anything like the Gotengo using current technology and MechaGodzilla is quite a few steps beyond that. But a story about dozens of layers of Japanese bureaucracy working together to develop a Godzilla-fighting machine would be pretty wonderful. :allears:

So the movie "Pentagon Wars" but with a giant robot? I'd pay to see that.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I'm interested to see how the Legendary world itself evolves if these movies continue. Society couldn't continue as normal now that the giant rabbits are out of the giant hats.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Vintersorg posted:

I thought he was fine. He kept things moving and had his good moments. I don't want anyone taking attention away from the monsters by being over the top.

There's a middle ground between "over the top" and "blank to the point of invisibility."

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

K. Waste posted:

I just don't see a fundamental difference between Brody's characterization and Taylor-Johnson's acting and what we mostly get out of Godzilla movies. I liked that reserved, observant quality - it helps in the context of films about puny humans facing god-like forces.

Agreed. It was a choice but I can see how it wouldn't be as great or as compelling as if they did something else. For what it is, it works, and it's NOT bad, but it may not have been ideal past Bryan Cranston's performance for the humans. The rest of the acting and what plays out is kind of subdued compared to the ruckus/spectacle that was Godzilla vs the MUTOs.

It is almost exactly as you say, reserved and humbling in the face of Titans or forces of nature clashing which spoke for itself. The humans in this case are simply assisting and trying to support or get by to survive cause for what they did muster, it isn't much.

In Transformers you went the opposite with humanity and the military being incredibly effective and eventually overtook the Transformers themselves in advancement, control, understanding and humbled them. But then again, fanboys bitched about that too. "OMG why can't it all be robots? WTF is the humans? Why are they there? Why do they look like that? Why does it suck? Why does Bay suck? Where's my bottle? GHLURRGGGHHHH WAAA!"

Gatts fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 28, 2018

Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

I think the Legendary Monsterverse might have the same problems, their setting is a bit too 'grounded' for Monarch to suddenly start rolling out Jaegers.

Shin Godzilla and Monsterverse are kinda in opposite positions at least in terms with dealing with kaiju. Shin is all about how because Godzilla is a monster, it can be stopped unlike a natural disaster. Meanwhlie Monsterverse is all like, you can't do anything about these kaiju. Let nature solve its own problems.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I feel like there wasn't much that anyone could say in the face of Godzilla so I was fine with the lack of dialog from Ford. Ford also goes through a hell of a lot helping Godzilla which makes him the only person Godzilla actually acknowledges. His family is in San Francisco and he has to beg an officer to be allowed to go on the mission to SF and he also realizes that in order to see/save his family he has to stop the MUTOs. He never abandons his family he just changes tactics.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 28, 2018

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So after watching the Godzilla anime(s) on Netflix and Shin Godzilla (which was loving super dope and I loved it), I've been wanting to watch some of the other movies and don't know where to start. I've seen the original one a bunch as well as the old Mothra and Gamera, but thats it. Whats a good place to start watching the I guess what would be called monsterverse ones?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I feel like there wasn't much that anyone could say in the face of Godzilla so I was fine with the lack of dialog from Ford. Ford also goes through a hell of a lot helping Godzilla which makes him the only person Godzilla actually acknowledges. His family is in San Francisco and he has to beg an officer to be allowed to go on the mission to SF and he also realizes that in order to see/save his family he has to stop the MUTOs. He never abandons his family he just changes tactics.

Godzilla is also his dad so of course he keeps running off to screw around with him instead of being at home, that’s what he’s used to. Then his Dad God kills the concept of the nuclear family

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Frog Act posted:

So after watching the Godzilla anime(s) on Netflix and Shin Godzilla (which was loving super dope and I loved it), I've been wanting to watch some of the other movies and don't know where to start. I've seen the original one a bunch as well as the old Mothra and Gamera, but thats it. Whats a good place to start watching the I guess what would be called monsterverse ones?

You saw the old Gamera? Not the insanely good 90s ones?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Monsterverse is easy to get caught up on because there's only two movies so far. The 2014 Godzilla is first, then Kong Skull Island.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Frog Act posted:

Godzilla; Rodan; Mothra; Mothra vs Godzilla; Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster; and Invasion of Astro-Monster make a nice hexalogy of sorts. The current MonsterVerse is only 2 films so far.

DeimosRising posted:

You saw the old Gamera? Not the insanely good 90s ones?

Showa-era Gamera is Very Good.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You can throw King Kong VS Godzilla onto that pile if you WANT, but I'd save that for when the remake is coming out

also it's not actually a good movie had to be said

One interesting thing to me is, there's no reason NOT to watch Mothra VS Godzilla 1964 dubbed. Not only is the dub pretty good for the time, it also has an ENTIRE EXTRA SCENE of the military throwing down with Godzilla that's actually really cool and doesn't exist at all in the Japanese version

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

The fact that Godzilla doesn't win against Kong is bullshit, electricity powers or no.

Edit: I watched Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster last night for the first time, and it was extremely good.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Godzilla's kinda being a dick, so he deserved the humiliating, deus ex machina loss.

For the longest time Godzilla was the villain. It took King Ghidorah coming in and seeing that little worm stand up to him that made his small heart grow three times.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 29, 2018

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Frog Act posted:

Rodan (1956) is a stone cold classic, if you haven't seen it yet.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Rodan (1956) is a stone cold classic, if you haven't seen it yet.

As opposed to mothra VS Godzilla or Monster Zero, however

DO NOT WATCH THE DUB

The dub is poo poo.

I am a proponent of dubs by and large, but the Rodan dub is awful. Not as bad as Gigantis, but up there. They add this horrible narration to the whole movie that strangles the story and the characters and makes you stop giving a poo poo super quick

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

K. Waste posted:

Godzilla's kinda being a dick, so he deserved the humiliating, deus ex machina loss.

For the longest time Godzilla was the villain. It took King Ghidorah coming in and seeing that little worm stand up to him that made his small heart grow three times.

I did enjoy how the first thing Godzilla did on screen was just randomly gently caress up a boat.

Also, Mothra Owns. Mothrowns

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

cptn_dr posted:

I did enjoy how the first thing Godzilla did on screen was just randomly gently caress up a boat.

Also, Mothra Owns. Mothrowns

I mean, it was literally a nuclear sub so he can't be blamed for that one, it probably gave him vietnam flashbacks just seeing that thing.

But, yeah, Godzilla's just kind of a crush first/ask questions later kind of scamp. I mean, he more or less stayed like that, but eventually he an Anguirus became buddies even though one killed the other, maybe having a kid gave him something to live for.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I don't know the threads opinions on this but if you want a good mostly serious Godzilla movie you can't go wrong with Returns.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Nroo posted:

Godzilla; Rodan; Mothra; Mothra vs Godzilla; Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster; and Invasion of Astro-Monster make a nice hexalogy of sorts. The current MonsterVerse is only 2 films so far.

Showa-era Gamera is Very Good.

I quite like them but the 90s trilogy is incredible. Anyway I was mostly surprised st someone just dipping their toe into these movies and going for like, Gamera vs Jiger blind

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

In the Heisei Ghidorah movie Godzilla has a little heart to heart moment with the business guy and then destroys the building anyways.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

K. Waste posted:

I mean, it was literally a nuclear sub so he can't be blamed for that one, it probably gave him vietnam flashbacks just seeing that thing.

Nah, I mean in Ghidorah, THM, where it's just an innocent boat on its way to Infant Island.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The first thing he does in the original Gojira is destroy a bunch of freighters too.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

What can I say, godzilla just fuckin hates boats

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Zilla, too, hates boats. Sinks four of them before ever making landfall.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

I quite like them but the 90s trilogy is incredible. Anyway I was mostly surprised st someone just dipping their toe into these movies and going for like, Gamera vs Jiger blind

I've just started the Heisei Godzilla series and the Gamera trilogy will be next, so I'm looking forward to that.

And anyone who hasnt seen Gamera vs Jiger should, it's a top tier Gamera film from the original series. Can't hate a kaiju film that becomes Fantastic Voyage -- in a kaiju! as its third act twist.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
How does Gamera the Brave (2006) compare to the 90's films, by the way? Is it worth watching?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Cythereal posted:

Zilla, too, hates boats. Sinks four of them before ever making landfall.

Technically made landfall in Panama

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

cptn_dr posted:

Nah, I mean in Ghidorah, THM, where it's just an innocent boat on its way to Infant Island.

Ah, yeah.

I mean, they killed him once, guy's probably still a little more than upset about that one. He is being a dick, though, relatively speaking.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The funny thing is, Godzilla didn't start being a full blown hero in these movies until

Well honestly, Godzilla VS Hedorah

While he acted a bit sillier in the movies following Ghidorah, dude didn't just do a 180.

He was used to actively attack Japan in both Monster Zero and DAM, he was actively antagonistic towards the human cast in Sea Monster with one single exception, fought the military in Son of Godzilla, and tried to kill the lead kid in Godzilla's Revenge

Godzilla VS Hedorah is the movie where Godzilla stopped actively attacking other people for no good reason and that only lasted for three, maybe four movies. By Terror of MechaGodzilla, he's back to his more ambiguous nature where he is personally responsible for a lot of destruction and loss of life.

Dylazodelan
Nov 9, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

How does Gamera the Brave (2006) compare to the 90's films, by the way? Is it worth watching?

It's a fun little movie more in the spirit of the original series rather than the 90s movies. The main character is a kid and Gamera is a little baby boy.

By the way, is there a general consensus on what's the worst dub dub in a kaiju movie? I'm thinking Gamera vs. Guiron, that one especially sounds like the voice actors were being forced to read their lines with guns to their heads.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gatts posted:

In Transformers you went the opposite with humanity and the military being incredibly effective and eventually overtook the Transformers themselves in advancement, control, understanding and humbled them. But then again, fanboys bitched about that too. "OMG why can't it all be robots? WTF is the humans? Why are they there? Why do they look like that? Why does it suck? Why does Bay suck? Where's my bottle? GHLURRGGGHHHH WAAA!"

...have you seen what the human plots are like in the Bayformers movies?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Watched a bunch of Godzilla and wants to get stuck in t the classics ?

I like Godzilla v Ebirah/The Sea Monster for the antics of the human characters. Any time someone says "I have an idea ! Let's wake up Godzilla !" and it's actually a reasonable plan given their situation, you know you're in for a good time. Also it has Infant Island and Mothra in it.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Terrible Opinions posted:

In the Heisei Ghidorah movie Godzilla has a little heart to heart moment with the business guy and then destroys the building anyways.

I've started watching random Godzilla films recently because it turns out they're brilliant, and just watched this one the other day.

White people, holy fucken lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mllaneza posted:

Watched a bunch of Godzilla and wants to get stuck in t the classics ?

I like Godzilla v Ebirah/The Sea Monster for the antics of the human characters. Any time someone says "I have an idea ! Let's wake up Godzilla !" and it's actually a reasonable plan given their situation, you know you're in for a good time. Also it has Infant Island and Mothra in it.

That's pretty much the source of that 'Godzilla Threshold' thing in tvtropes; when the situation has degraded to the point where awakening a sleeping Godzilla has become a reasonable response. It seems rather fitting given the themes of nuclear weapons the franchise is rooted in.