Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

sharrrk posted:

they should get christian whitehead and his team to make a new sonic spinball. mostly i just want new spinball music i'll be honest, i've had toxic caves in my head for 25 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Toxic caves is my ringtone and also probably a top 5 Sonic song

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Get Tee Lopes to remix the options theme.:suicide:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'd trust Tee Lopes to make Sonic Eraser music sound great at this point.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sharrrk posted:

they should get christian whitehead and his team to make a new sonic spinball. mostly i just want new spinball music i'll be honest, i've had toxic caves in my head all day

I never knew how much I wanted this until reading this post.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Get Tee Lopes to remix the options theme.:suicide:

I think it should be included, untouched, unremixed. Beautiful the way it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT3TVP5lqHA

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

SEGA!!!!!!!!

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Let's talk about Sega logos/intros. I really like their most recent one with the close-up of the eye and that nice chord plays, but it seems like they almost never use their most recent logo in modern games. The one with the swirly colors that formed the word "SEGA" was good too.

Never really liked the gamegear-era one where it's just a guy screaming "SEGA!" but I appreciate his enthusiasm.

Xad fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 28, 2018

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The current one is great. I disliked the previous one from the 360/PS3 era. It was always 10x louder than the rest of the game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

since you brought it up here's a sick remix of lava powerhouse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PixDpcO9vG8

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sonic Spinball owned hard.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

I love [the first 3 levels of] Sonic Spinball

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's more than one level in Sonic Spinball??

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

If you don't love me at my Lava Powerhouse you don't deserve me at my Toxic Caves

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sonic Spinball has the unique property of being the only game my entire family played together when I was a kid. My father and I played chess, my mother has always and is to this day interested in puzzles.

The only game the three of us played was Sonic Spinball, for a lot of days our Genesis would be on day and night as people took turns on it.

It was great.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Do pinball games play good on phones? That seems like it's be the only platform for it in this day and age

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

There's two or something big pinball franchises on steam and you can still find the machines in the wild.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Amppelix posted:

Sorry but that's actually garbage

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
e: wrong thread that's life

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Can't get that stupid pinball bonus game music out of my head

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Frankston posted:

you'll have to write a few more words to convince me

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Frankston posted:

Well I mean it's not god's gift to remixes, but it's better than the original. The original always felt a little too subdued, this mix fixes that up nicely.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Amppelix posted:

Thanks for the reminder that these games have some ridiculously good soundtracks. Haven't listened to them in awhile.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rorac posted:

Well I mean it's not god's gift to remixes, but it's better than the original. The original always felt a little too subdued, this mix fixes that up nicely.

I really prefer the original, to be quite honest. Or AtS's original tracks for that matter.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Mania Plus is fantastic and Encore Mode is perfect. Switching characters keeps things fresh, and the remixed levels are really fun, and Ray and Mighty are very cool and good.

Press Garden 1 feels way more dynamic now. Studiopolis 1's changes are great as well. Sometimes a few small tweaks can really breathe new life into a level.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Thanks for the reminder that these games have some ridiculously good soundtracks. Haven't listened to them in awhile.

Speaking of that, I actually just learned that this song and another in Mania Plus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5A61wowcEQ

Were actually composed by Falk, also known as basically the main composer in BtS and AtS. I knew he got work but I'm pretty sure this is the first he got an actual composition in.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Weirdly, I love Mania but I actually really don't like Encore mode.

Enemy placement is a nightmare now and feels like it punishes speed a tonne more than in the original. Also the replaced Giant Rings means that they feel like they're in much more unintuitive locations now.

The other side is that if you lose all your dudes, your stuck with a single life for a boss. Specifically a nightmare on the new Metal Sonic fight where you can bounce off the back into a death pit.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

The question of life is not,
"Are you a catgirl?"
but rather, it is in fact,
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Amppelix posted:

Speaking of that, I actually just learned that this song and another in Mania Plus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5A61wowcEQ

Were actually composed by Falk, also known as basically the main composer in BtS and AtS. I knew he got work but I'm pretty sure this is the first he got an actual composition in.

Falk is also involved with Freedom Planet 2. It's kinda interesting how much cross-over there's been in that way. Love it or hate it, Freedom Planet has definitely had some part in reviving 2d Sonic, I'd say.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Not really, Sonic Mania is just the end result of Retro Engine making Sega money. Whitehead proved himself over and over again before FP came out.

If Freedom Planet never existed I doubt the end result would look much different.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Natural 20 posted:

Weirdly, I love Mania but I actually really don't like Encore mode.

Enemy placement is a nightmare now and feels like it punishes speed a tonne more than in the original. Also the replaced Giant Rings means that they feel like they're in much more unintuitive locations now.

The other side is that if you lose all your dudes, your stuck with a single life for a boss. Specifically a nightmare on the new Metal Sonic fight where you can bounce off the back into a death pit.

Yeah I almost got a game over there and there was one time I ended up killing him, but got bounced into the pit behind him so I had to kill him again. Then Hydrocity happened where I got Mighty only to lose him due carelessness because he was about to drown and it switched me over to Ray who still retained the drown counter and I couldn't make it to an air bubble in time. :(

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Freedom Planet had good ideas, really good music, and fun stage designs. It completely squandered all of it with an atrocious difficulty curve, a final boss that was nothing but unfair bullshit, and random grimdark story scenes full of cringe.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I got outrageously lucky on the Metal Sonic boss - I got trapped behind him in the death plane, but managed to maintain the smallest possible height in my panicked jump to sustain eight hits and land back in the platform.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Freedom Planet reminded me of my misspent preteen youth, squandered reading bad fanfiction on SonicFoundation.net.

But in a good way.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
https://twitter.com/SEGAForever/status/1025045975134609408

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Not even for free you fucks.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I read that and my interest went from 0 to 0.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Freedom Planet had good ideas, really good music, and fun stage designs. It completely squandered all of it with an atrocious difficulty curve, a final boss that was nothing but unfair bullshit, and random grimdark story scenes full of cringe.

I actually kinda like that final boss - it did feel like a big jump in difficulty, but it also made me appreciate the game’s mechanics more? Like you pretty much need to abuse the move that gives you invincibility - it quickly felt like an execution challenge to me that had me feeling like it was my mistakes loving me up.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The final boss of Freedom Planet follows a pretty simple pattern that’s not hard to learn?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Filthy Haiku posted:

Not even for free you fucks.

The only thing worse than Sonic 4 is playing Sonic 4 with a touch screen.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I still regret actually buying Sonic 4 Episode 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Why are the widescreen versions of Sonic 1&2 not on Steam/console yet? Sega what the gently caress are you doing.