Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Progress moving Sunday 25th November to Monday 26th November date. That's a bit of a oval office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Anyone else watching World of Sport? Not bad production values actually.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
The setup is bloody awesome and they’ve got a good mix of talent on the roster.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Harry and Ospreay is pretty good. (Not surprising, obviously)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is Bennett injured or has he just decided to retire from wrestling, because this almost feels like they're going to build to him vs Grado at the end of the series.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

First time I have ever watched Ospreay and he was great. I've enjoyed this.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Gaz-L posted:

Is Bennett injured or has he just decided to retire from wrestling, because this almost feels like they're going to build to him vs Grado at the end of the series.

I don’t think he’s on the show in a wrestling role, I believe they have Doug Williams in a non-wrestling role as well.

Show was good, it being a quick hour definitely helps.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That was a nice easy watch with decent if not mindblowing wrestling and some of the right names if you're wanting to catch a casual audience (Grado, Hendry, Harry, Ospreay, Maxted, Sabian)

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Said never say never when it came to Wrestling again. But it has gone past time where if he was going to do it would have already. Don't hold your breath basically.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I caught up with World of Sport. The camera work is proper shite and makes it difficult to follow what's happening. The superhero dude really botched that suicide dive in the first match, it was hilarious. I had a lot of fun with Ospreay/DBS and the tag match. I used to see Joe Hendrie as presenter on Youtube vids so seeing him wrestle is a bit of a headfuck but I really liked him. Grado irritates me like Dusty Rhodes irritates me. Overall, it was a pretty easy watch but didn't promote the UK style of wrestling as much as I was hoping. Next week looks like it's gonna be pretty ace though.

Oh yeah, and one of these dudes was on Love Island? The hell?

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Rarity posted:

I caught up with World of Sport. The camera work is proper shite and makes it difficult to follow what's happening. The superhero dude really botched that suicide dive in the first match, it was hilarious. I had a lot of fun with Ospreay/DBS and the tag match. I used to see Joe Hendrie as presenter on Youtube vids so seeing him wrestle is a bit of a headfuck but I really liked him. Grado irritates me like Dusty Rhodes irritates me. Overall, it was a pretty easy watch but didn't promote the UK style of wrestling as much as I was hoping. Next week looks like it's gonna be pretty ace though.

Oh yeah, and one of these dudes was on Love Island? The hell?

Adam “Flex” Maxstead he’s actually a really nice dude and a fun wrestler.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/the_watw/status/1023488857843683328?s=19

Not a great start. The Chase averaged 1.5 million with a 2.3 million peak in the same timeslot the week before.

At least now we know that Bradley Walsh is a bigger draw than Will Ospreay.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Gaz2k21 posted:

Adam “Flex” Maxstead he’s actually a really nice dude and a fun wrestler.

Yeah I saw him after a show and he came over to ask what I thought he could improve and what I liked it didn't like. Very nice and humble.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

https://twitter.com/the_watw/status/1023488857843683328?s=19

Not a great start. The Chase averaged 1.5 million with a 2.3 million peak in the same timeslot the week before.

At least now we know that Bradley Walsh is a bigger draw than Will Ospreay.

Ospreay had like... 15th billing on the show.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

britishbornandbread posted:

First time I have ever watched Ospreay and he was great. I've enjoyed this.

holy poo poo your account is old.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Raeg posted:

Ospreay had like... 15th billing on the show.

I suspect they only had him for like one day because otherwise you cut together highlights of him doing flips and poo poo and build your marketing around that.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
This show certainly has caused some opinions amongst the wrestling community a lot of people who were fans of/involved in WAW are obviously pretty salty with it essentially taking their venue etc etc.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And I doubt ITV are comparing WOS's figures to The Chase which is a proven commodity and one of their more popular shows. It's more likely to be compared to, say, Ninja Warrior or something like that. Next week's the real test. If it stays steady or increases even slightly, I think they get a second series. If it drops noticeably, they're gone.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

man i loved watching The Cha$e after ecw

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Gaz2k21 posted:

This show certainly has caused some opinions amongst the wrestling community a lot of people who were fans of/involved in WAW are obviously pretty salty with it essentially taking their venue etc etc.

Just feels like another Alex Shane attempt to build a WWE light rather than a legit UK experience. He's been trying for 20 years and has never learned this doesn't seem to be the best pathway yet.

The minute Grado said "we're sports entertainment" in the don't try this at home spot was my lightbulb moment.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's a tricky thing to balance, though, because you need some level of production value or the show will have some of the negative connotations of the old World Of Sport. The heel GM thing is probably a bad idea, though. They'd probably have been better served presenting something more akin to the CWC or MYC. A polished, clean set-up like they have, but with promo packages to introduce the guys and girls so the audience gets to know them.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

It's a tricky thing to balance, though, because you need some level of production value or the show will have some of the negative connotations of the old World Of Sport. The heel GM thing is probably a bad idea, though. They'd probably have been better served presenting something more akin to the CWC or MYC. A polished, clean set-up like they have, but with promo packages to introduce the guys and girls so the audience gets to know them.

I mean production values is one thing, proudly branding yourself under sports entertainment says you want to be WWE UK.

I mean Ospreay/DBSJr was the only match without some form of overbooked bullshit. If this was an Impact show, the internet would be ablaze with "Is Russo back?"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Eh, the tag match was fine, even if the heel turn doesn't mean much coming on the first episode.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

STONE COLD 64 posted:

holy poo poo your account is old.

My account is too old for Jerry Lawler to gently caress.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
I thought the show was ok.

They should do picture in picture so wrestlers can explain what they're about a bit while the match is going, like in Superstars back in the 80s. Get some character over. Cut down on the camerawork.

That Crater lad is big, is he anyone in particular? I've never heard of Justin Sysum before. I'd have thought Ospreay would be the better choice to focus on, he's been the top face of promotions before and carried it well, and he's dynamic to watch.

I don't mind the heel GM thing. He wasn't too overbearing. Commentary wasn't great mind.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I still gotta catch up on World of Sport, but I just wanna say not being able to beat The Chase shouldn't be held against it, because The Chase is awesome.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Crater is aka Alex Cyanide. Great big man in future shock.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

What are some good WXW shows to start off with? I skipped around Superstars of Wrestling a bit because I didn't really want to see nostalgia matches, instead wanting to see the mainstays of the promotion.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Phenix Rising posted:

What are some good WXW shows to start off with? I skipped around Superstars of Wrestling a bit because I didn't really want to see nostalgia matches, instead wanting to see the mainstays of the promotion.

16 Carat Gold? That was an amazing show and their regular shotgun show is good too.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Yeah, the last two 16 Carats have been really good, especially if you want to watch the rise of Ilja Dragunov.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Thanks!

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Probably the World Tag League would be good too. It's got a lot of domestically produced wrestlers.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Phenix Rising posted:

Now's a good time to jump in if you want to keep up with what's going on without having to play catch up because they just had their first Shotgun episode of the season after the summer break.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Now's a good time to jump in if you want to keep up with what's going on without having to play catch up because they just had their first Shotgun episode of the season after the summer break.

Do you know if they're going to be putting Shotgun episodes up on Highspots again? I'd like to keep up with them on a regular basis, but the wXwNow interface on Roku is legitimately terrible.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I couldn't tell you but I know they put them on Powerbomb.TV. (so if you have Highspots and Powerbomb then you get the same new content that wXw Now gets.)

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Speaking of Shotgun, Pete Dunne vs. WALTER was absolutely incredible and Alpha Female vs. Millie McKenzie is being aired next week so it's well worth going out of your way to see it.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Command Bolshoi and Emi Sakura are over in Dublin on Oct 14th, along with Jordynne Grace, for the all women Defiant 2 show. Never seen them but they'll probably pop up in Revpro or somewhere too.

Command Bolshoi is a great name tbh.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
WWE UK have pulled El Ligero and Joseph Conners from a Southside show, the reason Southside gave is WWE don't want to risk their wrestlers within a week of a WWE live show.

This casts a bit of a shadow on Kamikaze Pro, and OTT who have events the same weekend Conners and Ligero were pulled from.

Jordan vs. Walter is the main of Wrestlerama, so I'm worried about that.

there's 4-5 WWE guys on for Kamikaze. It poo poo.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Southside promoters/owners are spoofers and stroke pullers. Question the source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

rovert posted:

Southside promoters/owners are spoofers and stroke pullers. Question the source.

Yeah a dude was saying that but there's been nothing to the contrary. Cheers dude.