Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Nodosaur posted:

eh, I don't really like using Appmon in Digimon lines.

I'll agree with you for 99% of those, but Mirrormon is too adorable and fitting for me to really take umbrage with imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
For the Corrupted Darkness Spirits, I like SoundBirdmon* as the Child stage, and for the Ultimate stage, I forget the name, but it's that one Digimon that's the result of all seven Demon Lords being jogressed together

*technically that one doesn't have an official level yet as it debuted in Xros Wars, but I'll bet you it will be a Child stage if it ever gets an official designation

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

SoundBirdmon works better as MailBirdramon’s Child form in my opinion. There’s not really anything about it that ties into “Darkness”.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

drrockso20 posted:

Most Armor stage Digimon count as Adult stage too, outside of a couple that count as Perfect

The original Digimon card game didn't have Child or Adult digimon officially, instead they're "Level III" and "Level IV" (Perfect and Ultimate are called as such) for whatever reason. Worked pretty well once 02 rolled around because they just made every armor digimon a level IV, including Magnamon and Gold Rapidmon.

Meanwhile Hybrids were broadly kind of funky all around when they started showing up in the card game. For instance most of the earliest printings of the H-Hybrids were actually meant to be equivalent to Ultimate digimon in terms of combat results. Also for some reason you could use Spirits in lieu of many Digimentals, IE The H Spirit of Fire had an effect where it could be used instead of the Digimental of Courage, the H Spirit of Ice could be used instead of Friendship, and so forth. The game eventually pulling way back and making it so you could find Hybrids as regular evolutions was probably inevitable for the sake of sanity.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 23, 2018

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The original card game actually came before Adventure. Armor evolutions wouldn’t be invented for at least another year or so.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

quote:

Rafflesimon

An Ultimate level Fairy Digimon said to be the largest flower in the Digital World. While its appearance is so beautiful that it enraptures all who lay eyes upon it, the stench it emits is out of this world. There are a number of people who fell for Rafflesimon's beauty at first sight and sought to find it again after a single glance. However, Rafflesimon's lifespan is short, and its life processes will cease after just several days have passed. Because of the extremely low likelihood of being able to catch sight of a Rafflesimon, it is also known as the 'Miraculous Flower'. Despite its circumstances, Rafflesimon never expresses any pessimism about its looming death, constantly yearning to live a normal life and dancing elegantly till its very last.

Its Special Move is firing its sleeve like a cannon (Ballet Gun). It utilises the large flower petals that dance around it as reflectors, reflecting its shots so that no enemy can escape. Not only that, it can also shed scales from its body (Wisselen). These scales cause anyone whose body they have latched onto to lose consciousness and turn into Rafflesimon's servants.

also, Agumon Hakase got a sidekick; Terriermon Intern

https://twitter.com/bandai_digimon/status/1021962833871822848

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Agomon PhD. and TA Terriermon.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Wonder if we'll get get a similar version of Lopmon for Nisei Agumon Hakase

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Rafflesimon is, like most new Digimon, incredibly busy. I like the way they incorporated the rafflesia into the design though, using it as a collar rather than a hat/head. I’m also shocked at the lack of visible cleavage.

Also Terriermon Assistant is the best thing.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 25, 2018

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Rafflesimon looks cool as hell

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I realize it's literally "Assistant Terriermon", but "Terriermon Intern" flows better and gets the point across more elegantly, in my opinion.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nodosaur posted:

I realize it's literally "Assistant Terriermon", but "Terriermon Intern" flows better and gets the point across more elegantly, in my opinion.

yeah but Terriermon Assistant is a TA

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

By the way, in case nobody’s posted it yet, the artist for Survive is Kumori ufo and the composer is Tomoki Miyoshi, Who did the Soul Calibur V and I Am Setsuna soundtracks.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

thetoughestbean posted:

yeah but Terriermon Assistant is a TA

dammit

I didn't realize the joke

EDIT - though I doubt it's intentional since the Japanese name is "Terriermon Joshu"

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jul 25, 2018

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
http://www.b-boys.jp/special/digimon_vote/

They're holding an event fans get to select from a number of digimon who will be getting X-antibody forms. The two digi's with the most votes will be getting them and the winners will be revealed during the digimon thanksgiving livestream

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Voted Hououmon because it has a chance of being great, and Lilithmon because it has a very good chance of being terrible.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The red button twice is to vote, right? I can't read Japanese, but I did that for Justimon, my personal favourite and who deserves a super mode because c'mon, he's a Kamen Rider.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Leraika posted:

Voted Hououmon because it has a chance of being great, and Lilithmon because it has a very good chance of being terrible.

same but justimon and minervamon

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Anyway here's Tri2

https://twitter.com/WithTheWill/status/1023557823014170624?s=19

https://twitter.com/WithTheWill/status/1023558031588511745?s=19

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hiromi Seki and Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru bring back is nice at least.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
A 5 year time gap... so they like... have to explain where the 02 kids are now, right?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hell, even a series in a similar vein to Adventure only with a new cast would have been perferable.

I'll probably still end up watching this but my interest has kind of dwindled a bit (seriously Toei, you have 7 other shows worth of characters to draw on, you don't have to keep milking the originals over and over).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Taichi is just absolutely determined to have something tied to his head at all times, isn't he? What's he going to do in the digital future when all wearable electronics are replaced by ambient holography?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Rand Brittain posted:

Taichi is just absolutely determined to have something tied to his head at all times, isn't he? What's he going to do in the digital future when all wearable electronics are replaced by ambient holography?

scouter, probably

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Hell, even a series in a similar vein to Adventure only with a new cast would have been perferable.

I'll probably still end up watching this but my interest has kind of dwindled a bit (seriously Toei, you have 7 other shows worth of characters to draw on, you don't have to keep milking the originals over and over).

No other series can milk nostalgia as hard as Adventure. Even when they have Konaka ready to make a Tamers sequel that'll likely be better than every series in years (because Tamers, which is already the best series by itself), they won't take it, because Toei only knows how to milk nostalgia lately. Sometimes it works (Dragon Ball Super), sometimes it does not (Tri).

We also have the first PV for Digimon Survive, and even if the gameplay's still unclear, I love the mood the PV has.
https://www.facebook.com/Digisoul.net/videos/1803184953051977/

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
some more gameplay here

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1023531623646732288

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On the bright side, the new movie seems to be helmed by much of the same crew that worked on Adventure so maybe it won't be a total disaster like Tri was at the very least. I still would like a new TV series one day though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I have a question

Is this like, a horrible monkey paw situation

Like you know how in almost every KIDS SHOW WHERE THE FANS GROW UP AND THEY WANT THE SHOW TO GROW UP WITH THEM situation

IE almost any drat property from the 80s to the 2000s

Did someone find a working monkey's paw and do that here? Like, is that what's going on? Oh, yeah, now the show is exclusively for you older fans! Have loving fun with that and don't let the door hit you in the rear end on the way out

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Onmi posted:

A 5 year time gap... so they like... have to explain where the 02 kids are now, right?

... they already did?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

... they already did?

I mean, have them actually be part of the story

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
This kinda rustles my jimmies because my jimmies have been rustled over at Pokemon for the constant Gen 1 pandering. But this hits me a lil extra because we even have a voiced script of how the entry after Adventure could get a revival.

Gimme Digimon Tamers 2018, you loving cowards.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Looking at it from a purely business point of view, you have a movie series that made a ton of money up to the very end versus the sales of a BD set that made less money than both the sets that came before it.

I mean even Konaka was realistic about his expectations there.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Burkion posted:

I mean, have them actually be part of the story

Let's see the process for gaining a license for a food cart!

Nodosaur posted:

Looking at it from a purely business point of view, you have a movie series that made a ton of money up to the very end versus the sales of a BD set that made less money than both the sets that came before it.

I mean even Konaka was realistic about his expectations there.

YES GIVE ME MORE OMEGAMON FORMS!

Edit: No, I'm saying I'm the "bad" fan who helped make Tri successful and all I need is Omegamon v4 with a bigger sword.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 30, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean that's not what I said but alright.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, they wouldn't keep making Adventure revisits if the weren't still selling.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I don't like what "Digimon Tamers 2018" was building up towards. My biggest points of contention are that putting Jian in the NSA of all things comes with a lot of real world baggage that feels very out of character for him, given he was a character defined by his ethics and sense of right and wrong, and future!Takato leaving his fiance to travel the world and find himself just draws out and reminds me of everything else that's frustrating about how he and Juri are written all over again.

Pretty much the only thing I still like about it is motocross Ruki.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D28RUH4Zwe4

Oh, Survive is coming to Bone and steam.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh, poo poo, I might actually get to play a new Digimon game for the first time in years.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
And confirmed for the west

https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoEU/status/1023935738956705792

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress

Sure fine