Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Those bikeshare companies we're also part of a huge bubble in China so there were way more bikes than possible riders. By quite a lot, as it turned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Control Volume posted:

The kicker is that driving is also faster than trains

Ahh, but if your infrastructure isn't poo poo, Trains are MUCH faster than trains. Even the standard trains on the Danish main lines reach 160+ km/h. And even if the highway speed limit is technically 130 km/h, that's not everywhere, large chunks of the network is limited to 110 km/h.

And that's not counting the usually issues roads have.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I remember in China those bike share startups have a big problem with people signing up once then literally throwing the bike away when they're done with it.

In Melbourne it was more picking up a locked bike and throwing it in the river, up a tree, on the train tracks, on a roof etc. They got a big barge and went down the river fishing them out, they stopped after a few km when there was no more room on the barge

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
This discussion reminded me of when I visited Nashville and learned what Bird is

This about sums it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU6WSFG8CIA

kumba has a new favorite as of 14:54 on Jul 27, 2018

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That scooter looks like just the thing for when I want to visit Santa Monica, the California Space Museum, and UCB Franklin all on the same day.

What do you mean it's not highway legal?

Catboy Autonomist
Jun 23, 2018

IS IT SUPWISING THAT PWISONS WESEMBWE FACTOWIES, SCHOOWS, WHICH AWW WESEMBWE PWISONS?

EoinCannon posted:

[oBike] launched in Singapore in February 2017, and ceased operation on 25 June 2018 in Singapore

jesus loving christ so they were barely around for over a year yet were active in over 20 countries somehow?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Catboy Autonomist posted:

jesus loving christ so they were barely around for over a year yet were active in over 20 countries somehow?

~disruption~

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I remember in China those bike share startups have a big problem with people signing up once then literally throwing the bike away when they're done with it.

In an actual dumpster? That sounds like a Simpsons/Family Guy gag.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ofecks posted:

In an actual dumpster? That sounds like a Simpsons/Family Guy gag.

There were literal gigantic piles of discarded bicycles.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
They have a scooter share now in the US:

http://www.wlwt.com/article/ride-share-electric-scooters-arrive-in-cincinnati/22559740

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Hey not all of those bikes end up in giant heaps! Some of them use combination locks and aren't equipped with gps so you can just slap your own lock on it.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

We've really used up all the good surface resources, so nothing will ever return to our technology level.

uh what about in 50 millions years bro

sun ain't gonna explode for another couple billion

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I read somewhere that old cities like London and Rome are just layers and layers of generational material. To the extent that there's more copper buried under these cities than there is still un-mined in the ground.

No idea how true that is, but future civilizations will literally mine past civilizations. They won't have a lot of oil, but nerds will get their steam punk future after-all because there will still be loads of coal.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Krispy Wafer posted:

I read somewhere that old cities like London and Rome are just layers and layers of generational material. To the extent that there's more copper buried under these cities than there is still un-mined in the ground.

No idea how true that is, but future civilizations will literally mine past civilizations. They won't have a lot of oil, but nerds will get their steam punk future after-all because there will still be loads of coal.

Dunno about London but for Rome that's definitely true, whenever Rome was attacked and buildings burned instead of clearing the rubble they'd just compact it down and build on top of it

There's a church I visited that is literally the 4th church built in that exact spot, with 3 layers of churches/catacombs beneath it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

kumba posted:

Dunno about London but for Rome that's definitely true, whenever Rome was attacked and buildings burned instead of clearing the rubble they'd just compact it down and build on top of it

There's a church I visited that is literally the 4th church built in that exact spot, with 3 layers of churches/catacombs beneath it

That and a lot of old Roman ruins had the marble taken off them for new buildings.

See also the Pyramids.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That and a lot of old Roman ruins had the marble taken off them for new buildings.

See also the Pyramids.
Apparently the Colosseum used to be completely clad with a marble facade. It must have been majestic looking.
Whenever you see old buildings with relatively regularly spaced chunks missing from the bricks, those were the attachment points for a stone exterior.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

We've had those for a while in San Diego. The dockless bikes have been a huge issue for the NIMBY capital of the US (Coronado Island), so much that they banned them:

http://www.cbs8.com/story/37771242/coronado-to-declare-dockless-bikes-a-public-nuisance

I'm pro-bikeshare, but I've started spotted them abandoned in ditches and on the sides of freeways, so I don't know how long this will last. It can't be profitable.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rotten Red Rod posted:

We've had those for a while in San Diego. The dockless bikes have been a huge issue for the NIMBY capital of the US (Coronado Island), so much that they banned them:

http://www.cbs8.com/story/37771242/coronado-to-declare-dockless-bikes-a-public-nuisance

I'm pro-bikeshare, but I've started spotted them abandoned in ditches and on the sides of freeways, so I don't know how long this will last. It can't be profitable.

NIMBY hive or not it's hard to blame Coronado for banning the things. I nearly backed into one that someone had abandoned outside my garage door one morning.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Papa John sues Papa John's

quote:

In a lawsuit filed in Delaware Chancery Court on Thursday, Schnatter's lawyers say he is seeking to inspect company documents "because of the unexplained and heavy-handed way in which the company has treated him since the publication of a story that falsely accused him of using a racial slur."

Later, in the same article...

quote:

Schnatter has admitted he said the N-word on a conference call with a marketing firm.

:chloe:

Also in the news, MoviePass couldn't afford to pay for movie tickets on Thursday

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

RagnarokZ posted:

Ahh, but if your infrastructure isn't poo poo, Trains are MUCH faster than trains.

Wow, really? That’s amazing!

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I was walking my dog in a hotel parking lot in Virginia and stumbled across one of those big Blockbuster signs that become obscured in the dense foliage like some kind of ancient burial tomb.

When the building became a Verizon store, the Blockbuster branding faded away. They took down the signpole out front but not the huge marquee sign. And, as you saw, the trees ate it.

EDIT: late but no regrets

I brought my Drake has a new favorite as of 18:14 on Jul 27, 2018

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Don’t worry, they just borrowed $5 million, that should last... roughly a week. It’s almost poetic that Moviepass is crashing and burning almost exactly a year after they started with their crazy idea.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

I don't why, but I just assumed they had worked out some sort of up front bulk or discount with the theater companies to pay for those tickets but I guess they were just paying for tickets one at a time? :roflolmao:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rotten Red Rod posted:

There was an article about roving gangs of e-scooter truckguys in sF that would grab the discarded scoots and charge them. The company paid them to do it in a kind of Uberesque anyone can sidegig this.

I imagine there would be a similar service for those bikes, but its harder to stow a few bikes in your back seat.

Greatbacon posted:

I don't why, but I just assumed they had worked out some sort of up front bulk or discount with the theater companies to pay for those tickets but I guess they were just paying for tickets one at a time? :roflolmao:
You can barely get a discount as an employee of a large company and i think the best you can get is one of those Costco packs of like 5 films for 2 or 3 dollars off. No way the theatre chains were going to steeply discount a middleman service.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

kumba posted:

Is that safe? I don’t know why but it feels like building on top of compacted old buildings would be risky.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Also I’m a huge fan of dockless bike sharing systems. There’re a lot of problems for sure but to me it’s an integral part of a public transit system.

For instance, you might have been choosing between driving to work and taking a combination of a train ride and a long walk. Dockless bikes make the latter so much more reasonable of a choice.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Greatbacon posted:

I also don't know why they didn't think that theaters would just go 'yeah, nah...we don't need a middleman' and just do it themselves, like AMC is doing with their 'see up to 3 movies a week in any format' thing.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

Vegetable posted:

Is that safe? I don’t know why but it feels like building on top of compacted old buildings would be risky.

Germany has a lot of scenic and built-on "hills" that are actually dirt and trees over World War 2 rubble.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schuttberg

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

I think a San Francisco subway line goes through an old ship that had long ago been sunk and buried over to create more land in the harbor. There's all kinds of stuff people build on.

Ground conditions vary greatly and there are tricks to bury foundations in softer earth. Most of the time it works. Sometimes it's like that new high rise in San Fran that's uneven so people's stuff rolls to one side.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Vegetable posted:

Also I’m a huge fan of dockless bike sharing systems. There’re a lot of problems for sure but to me it’s an integral part of a public transit system.

For instance, you might have been choosing between driving to work and taking a combination of a train ride and a long walk. Dockless bikes make the latter so much more reasonable of a choice.
If you're somewhere with reasonable train transit, chances are you're also somewhere with reasonable bus transit. Alternatively, if having a bike is so convenient, you can bring your own, as people have somehow managed to do for decades.

I really can't consider dockless bike sharing an integral part of anything when by all accounts, it just results in a shitload of bikes-as-litter:

https://www.wired.com/story/the-bike-share-war-is-shaking-up-seattle-like-nowhere-else/ posted:

The city’s rules on where to park these bikes are strict and clear. Bikes should not be left on corners, driveways, or ramps, nor blocking building entrances, benches, bus stops, or fire hydrants, and they should always leave six feet clear for pedestrians on sidewalks. Companies have two hours to move bikes that are reported as being incorrectly parked. But while the smartphone apps communicate these restrictions to users, nothing prevents riders from leaving a bike wherever they want, nor are there currently any penalties for doing so.

Bikes started to pile up at popular places like the ferry dock and light rail stations, clogging up the walkways and obstructing commuters. They were also showing up in more worrying places. Bikes left in the road were getting hit by cars, and a mangled Spin bike was found near a train track, presumably damaged by a passing locomotive.

They were also getting tossed into lakes. "As soon as I saw the bikes on the roads, that same week we started seeing them in the water," says scuba instructor Mike Hemion, who teaches commercial divers in Seattle's bays and lakes. "Three out of four times when we dive downtown on the waterfront now, there's a bike in the water." In the early days of these water retrievals, workers were expected to fish them out themselves; LimeBike workers even cobbled together a makeshift grappling hook to snare them. Now the three bike share companies just call Hemion.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/innovation/dockless-bikes-promise-future-transportation-litter-city-dallas-n866351 posted:

Hassle-free rentable bikes lead to fewer cars on the road, which leads to shorter commutes for drivers, which leads to less pollution — especially good, since Dallas is the 13th-most polluted city in the U.S.

But when people see the well-intentioned bikes pushed into creeks and blocking sidewalks, it’s hard not to wonder if perhaps technology hasn’t contributed to this aspect of human behavior: the irresistible urge some people have to kick over a standing bike, or the desire to throw five into a creek.

A few Instagram accounts, like @dallasbikemess and @bikesharenightmare, are dedicated solely to sharing photos and videos of bike-share bicycles that have been knocked over or left in strange places: the side of a highway, behind a dumpster, in a tree. Not long ago someone sawed one in half and turned it into street art in the Deep Ellum neighborhood. And everyone has heard stories about kids who hacked the bikes — literally hacking off the black boxes locking the back wheel — to ride them free.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr-gridlock/wp/2017/10/05/abandoned-vandalized-and-illegally-parked-bike-share-bikes-now-a-d-c-problem/?utm_term=.a4b79f373985 posted:

There it was, a neon-orange Spin bike parked on the very edge of a busy sidewalk, perfectly positioned to block the pedestrian traffic from the crosswalk in the northeastern corner of 14th and K streets. Anyone crossing and rushing to work Tuesday morning had to go around it.

In the two weeks since Spin and other dockless bike-share operations launched in Washington, the colorful bikes are proving popular — but also showing up in unwanted and inappropriate places.

They have been spotted badly parked against poles and trees, left strewn in the middle of sidewalks. Blocking home entrances. Taking over Capital Bikeshare docks.

The National Park Service has seized more than a dozen found abandoned inside memorials, sidewalks and parking lots.

A LimeBike was left inside a Metro station.

Another one was abandoned on the edge of the Arlington side of the Memorial Bridge.

And the bike sharing companies whine when cities try to implement common-sense measures that try to avoid that:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-dockless-bike-lock-debate-20180503-story.html posted:

The city’s new dockless bike share program mandates that rental bikes be capable of being locked to some physical object — like a bike rack or signpost — by July 1.

But China-based Ofo and California-based LimeBike, which use wheel locks rather than cables or U-locks to secure bikes between rentals, say they hope to change the city’s mind on the “lock-to” requirement in the next two months.

“We are hoping to show the city that it’s not necessary — no other city has required this,” said Chris Nakutis Taylor, Ofo’s North American head. He said Ofo educates its riders on correct parking, and that employees make sure bikes are evenly distributed, kept in good repair and out of the public’s way.

In some other cities, dockless bikes have posed problems and cluttered sidewalks when parked carelessly.

“We really think locking to something is a policy that should be pushed forward by cities,” said Dave Reed, Chicago market manager for Zagster. He said bikes not locked to fixed objects like bike racks can become a “public nuisance.”

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Krispy Wafer posted:

Ground conditions vary greatly and there are tricks to bury foundations in softer earth. Most of the time it works. Sometimes it's like that new high rise in San Fran that's uneven so people's stuff rolls to one side.
It's not uneven. It's actively sinking like an inch a year and these folks' million dollar condos are effectively worthless.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

It's not uneven. It's actively sinking like an inch a year and these folks' million dollar condos are effectively worthless.

You say sinking, I say progressively uneven.

You get the most amazing Dutch angels in this place.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
ESA used the Sentinel 1 SAR Satellites to do some interferrometry and saw the displacement well enough to publish an article on it.
http://m.esa.int/spaceinimages/Images/2016/11/Millennium_Tower_sinking

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Krispy Wafer posted:

You say sinking, I say progressively uneven.

You get the most amazing Dutch angels in this place.

Short arm of the law: Top Cop Angle tells it to the kids.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Dockless bike companies' business model is based around flooding cities with cheap, lovely bikes and externalizing the costs of dealing with bike litter to the city governments. I'm glad cities aren't taking their poo poo.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

ryonguy posted:

Also, the downside for the industry having a only small segment of the population buying guns and poo poo like crazy is that word of mouth spreads real fast, and across the board Remington ammunition is basically considered unusable garbage.

To add on to this, about 70% of Americans own 0 guns, about 27% own ∼2 guns, and about 3% own ∼17 guns.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sure seems like MoviePass is done

https://twitter.com/grahamflanagan/status/1024042444713807872

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

“We are now Old Movie Pass.”

“You mean the older version of Movie Pass we all loved?”

“No. You can now only see old movies.”

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Krispy Wafer posted:

“We are now Old Movie Pass.”

“You mean the older version of Movie Pass we all loved?”

“No. You can now only see old movies.”

"For 9.99 a month you can pick out 2 DVDs from the Dollar Tree DVD rack!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
They’ve also taken to making every showing past the first showing of the day a “premium” showing where you have to pay like $6 extra to see it. That finally pushed me to cancel though I had been having fun watching movies on the venture capitalists’ dime.