Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Swap out the HDMI cables real quick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Swap out the HDMI cables real quick?

Nothing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Have you unplugged it then plugged it back in? I've had similar happen.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

As well as the above, the remote has a lot of lesser known features. The holding play/pause for audio output ofc being the best one

But you could maybe try rebooting it?

quote:

To force restart the new Apple TV, press and hold both the Menu and Home buttons. (The Home button has the silhouette of a TV or monitor on it.)

After holding in both buttons for roughly 10 seconds, the white light on the Apple TV box will begin flashing. Once that happens, let go of both buttons and the Apple TV will restart..

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Dumb question o clock but maybe I'm just going about it the wrong way...

I want to stream :filez: from my PC to my AppleTV.

Previously, I'd been using Universal Media Server on my PC to stream to my PS4, but I'd like to use the fancy new AppleTV in place of the PS4.

I'm using Infuse on my AppleTV. It sees UMS just fine, lets me save folders. Everything is good, media is playing.

So far, so good.

I shut everything down for the night. Start everything up again a day later, Infuse sees the server but now shows "Empty folders". If I delete the favorite folders and set it up again, everything works again but once again, if I stop and start the UMS, I get empty folders again.

I get that I'm not really using UMS "as intended" as I really only start the server when I want to watch something, stopping it when I'm done. This isn't a dedicated server.

I don't have this problem with my PS4, but I'd really like to use the AppleTV for movie/TV watching because the interface is so much nicer.

Any ideas? Is there a better application for my AppleTV or PC to do this?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Plex

E: you can even use Infuse as a client.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Plex

You beat me to it.

Use plex.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

Plex

MarcusSA posted:

You beat me to it.

Use plex.

I'd always written Plex off as something I had to run on a dedicated server, but it looks like it suits my needs perfectly!

Thanks! :)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I use plex primarily, but also have VLC installed for quick network access to a normal file path.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I found infuse buggy as hell connecting to AFP and SMB shares for some reason. SSH was the only reliable way I could browse files but even that had problems reconnecting some time.

So VLC is reliable enough playing from network shares?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don’t use it very often but generally seems fine. It’s free, so no biggy if it can’t do what you need.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

phosdex posted:

Looks like my ATV 4k is dead. Light just blinks and my tv isn't receiving any input at all from it. Gonna schedule an appt with the apple store.

I had a similar issue earlier this year and was able to resolve it by connecting it to my computer and running a restore in iTunes: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203028

Just a heads up, you’ll have to manually download all your apps to the AppleTV again.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

duffmensch posted:

Just a heads up, you’ll have to manually download all your apps to the AppleTV again.

It should offer up a screen asking if you want a unified TV homepage, and if you say Yes it’ll bring down all the apps again.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
I don’t have the 4K version and didn’t see that pop up :(

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I had it on my 4th Gen before I bought my 4K. Maybe I’ve got something enabled in settings but I can’t think what...

E: https://m.imore.com/how-sync-your-apple-tv-home-screen-across-all-apple-tvs

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Thwomp posted:

tvOS 11.4 is out which brings AirPlay 2 to the AppleTV models.

The biggest upside is that the AppleTVs themselves become AirPlay 2 targets. So any speaker hooked up to any AppleTV running 11.4 can play anything you tell Siri to play from any device (which I wasn't completely aware of until today).

First and second gen got left behind. I tried to get my AppleTV (I think version 2) to show up in home in a room and no dice.

I want an ATV4K just so I can airplay 2 with it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I got my 4K on the directv now deal for $105. I have no use for the tv service sadly, but the price was good enough for the hardware.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I got my 4K on the directv now deal for $105. I have no use for the tv service sadly, but the price was good enough for the hardware.

I’ve been using DTnow for a while and I really like it.

It’s probably the best of the TV services IMO.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

My dad has DirecTV Now and the interface seemed really nice. My brother and I share a YouTube TV sub but I can't remember why DTV Now wasn't an option. Maybe something to do with simultaneous streams.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

DTVN also gives you access to shitloads of third party apps which all feed into tv.app

I rarely open DTVN aside from sports now. I just wish they'd get RedZone.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

PSVue was always more stable for me and the DVR was dead simple to use. I always had issues with DTVNow freezing. But that may have been down to the local CDN since my parents use DTVNow and have zero issues.

However, since Comcast swooped in and gave me a killer deal, I use an HD Home Run Prime with a cable card. Channels app to watch live TV and PLEX to DVR stuff.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I have all bar about 2 channels already on my cable account, so not much incentive to use. Seems ok tho. The Apple TV app seems a lot smoother than the Roku version too, to no surprise.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I have all bar about 2 channels already on my cable account, so not much incentive to use. Seems ok tho. The Apple TV app seems a lot smoother than the Roku version too, to no surprise.

Part of the reason I made the switch from the Roku was because of how poo poo the app was on the device.

The ATV is more expensive but gently caress if it isn’t worth it on every level haha

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'll never understand people calling out the Apple TV as being expensive, paying $80 more for something that actually works, has real software support and will probably last 4 or 5 years doesn't seem like that much of an "Apple tax," at least not compared to the rest of their products.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

qirex posted:

I'll never understand people calling out the Apple TV as being expensive, paying $80 more for something that actually works, has real software support and will probably last 4 or 5 years doesn't seem like that much of an "Apple tax," at least not compared to the rest of their products.
It’s just the most expensive of the bunch but you absolutely get what you pay for. I had the top of the Roku and that thing didn’t really work like it should have.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I bought the Roku as a $30 bedroom box a while back and it’s pretty good at being that. It has an Xfinity app that the ATV doesn’t have which mimics a cable box and doesn’t use external data which is really good. That and Plex are my main uses, and while the ATV is better in most ways it was a good buy for the money.

I then bought an ATV 4K so have a 4th gen up to nothing at the moment, but will probably end up as the guest bedroom box that’s never used.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Adding HBO for $5/month is p. cool

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Adding HBO for $5/month is p. cool

Yeah for real.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DTVN decided I'm an AT&T Unlimited customer (I'm not) and decided I only have to pay $11/month, so that was pretty cool.

G5ANDY
Sep 19, 2004
How easy is it to use AirPods / beats with the latest aTV?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

G5ANDY posted:

How easy is it to use AirPods / beats with the latest aTV?

Swipe down, swipe over, select output.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

qirex posted:

The remote is garbage and the platform is clearly a second tier concern for many content providers. I’ve been without mine for a month and using the Fire Stick in the meantime, and while you can watch it struggle with Kodi + Addons, most of the time I can’t tell the difference.

I think the best thing Apple TV has is the TV app, but unless you pay for networks you aren’t gonna see it doing it’s thing.

G5ANDY
Sep 19, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

Swipe down, swipe over, select output.

Thank you, I will shortly be £179 poorer, but better for it. Makes sense to get the latest even w/o 4K tv? It looks faster in every way.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Extremely easy to use airpods and all those with the same chip

I’ll just repeat the pro-tip. Once the headphones are on If they don’t auto sync then hold play/pause at the home menu and it’ll bring up audio outputs you can switch to. Much faster than fussing in settings

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

The remote is garbage and the platform is clearly a second tier concern for many content providers. I’ve been without mine for a month and using the Fire Stick in the meantime, and while you can watch it struggle with Kodi + Addons, most of the time I can’t tell the difference.

I think the best thing Apple TV has is the TV app, but unless you pay for networks you aren’t gonna see it doing it’s thing.

I'm not sure I've read a less true post in my life.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Yeah you haven’t seen or heard all the bitching about the remote, which is up there with that turn-over-to-charge mouse in “what the hell, Apple” hardware ideas. You missed the complaints about how YouTube and a couple networks can’t be assed to make a decent app.

I use it largely for Channels and Plex, and it’s fine. But if I had cable I’d be jealous of that Roku app, and as someone without cable I like being able to sideload poo poo onto Amazon’s similar doohickeys. The ATV has good horsepower and a nice video filter/renderer, so its a great video player but the surrounding stuff disappoints.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

G5ANDY posted:

Thank you, I will shortly be £179 poorer, but better for it. Makes sense to get the latest even w/o 4K tv? It looks faster in every way.

yes, get the 4K. Better specs and it's better at transcoding if you use plex. Then when you upgrade you're ahead of the game. Th wonky reason to get a non4k at this point is if you get a screaming deal on the used market. I just picked up a second 4K for the bedroom tv which isn't 4K.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

The Kimoa Kid posted:

If he mostly uses it for Kodi, then I don't think he's all that wrong. If you're just using Kodi/Plex then there's a lot of other devices that are cheaper and better.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

Yeah you haven’t seen or heard all the bitching about the remote, which is up there with that turn-over-to-charge mouse in “what the hell, Apple” hardware ideas. You missed the complaints about how YouTube and a couple networks can’t be assed to make a decent app.

I use it largely for Channels and Plex, and it’s fine. But if I had cable I’d be jealous of that Roku app, and as someone without cable I like being able to sideload poo poo onto Amazon’s similar doohickeys. The ATV has good horsepower and a nice video filter/renderer, so its a great video player but the surrounding stuff disappoints.

The remote is fine (certainly orders of magnitude better than the cheap plastic poo poo you get with other devices) and it's extremely obvious that most companies prioritize tvOS. You use YouTube as an example despite the fact that Google literally JUST completely revamped that app a few months ago. Again: could not possibly be less true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

AppleTV + DirecvNow + 3rd party apps = perfect for me. Add in plex and infuse and I've got all the bases covered and it's wife friendly.

My only complaint is Netflix doesn't feed into the TV app.