Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Why Burger King? At least settle for pub food or random kebab or Indian place.

Like I love burger as well and go crazy for my king in china, but London has way more options, heck even a tesco express cold sandwich or marks and spencer do well。

oh yeah I’m gonna try pret to see if it’s better here

caberham fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jul 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Prepare for disappointment.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The reason for Subway is because while I took a break after the hop on hop off to go gift shopping and have a cappuccino at a cafe, the rest of the family did a walking tour that ran 30min over, and we were late for the hop on hop off to Guinness.

The reason for Burger King is because we overslept for the Musical Pub Crawl thing after coming back from Guinness and we had to rush across the river within 10 minutes. In case you were wondering, no, the crawl did not include drinks.

The reason for breakfast being self cooked grey scrambled eggs is because dad is cheap and fry ups are too many calories also because we have 1 hour before we need to call a cab/get the car/do our next tour c’mon let’s go let’s go!!!!!!!

Not much of a “vacation”, but I’m not one to look a gift horse in the mouth I guess. :shrug:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
gently caress black pudding is so good I never knew

It’s was always too try whenever I had it, even the few times I was in UK

caberham fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jul 24, 2018

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

The reason for Subway is because while I took a break after the hop on hop off to go gift shopping and have a cappuccino at a cafe, the rest of the family did a walking tour that ran 30min over, and we were late for the hop on hop off to Guinness.

The reason for Burger King is because we overslept for the Musical Pub Crawl thing after coming back from Guinness and we had to rush across the river within 10 minutes. In case you were wondering, no, the crawl did not include drinks.

The reason for breakfast being self cooked grey scrambled eggs is because dad is cheap and fry ups are too many calories also because we have 1 hour before we need to call a cab/get the car/do our next tour c’mon let’s go let’s go!!!!!!!

Not much of a “vacation”, but I’m not one to look a gift horse in the mouth I guess. :shrug:

Jesus your holiday sounds rubbish.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

caberham posted:

gently caress black pudding is so good I never knew

It’s was always too try whenever I had it, even the few times I was in UK

try? do you mean dry?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Steakandchips posted:

try? do you mean dry?

Yeah, sorry about the typo.
I guess the ones in Asia are normally shipped from UK or some frozen variety

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Isn’t the one you just ate from the UK too? :)

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It’s made fresh though!

Anyone have a Knightsbridge food recommendation?

Man London is a little too hot for the museums and having so much stuff to see I think I will come back another time. Really loving the V and A

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeah, we haven’t really needed air-conditioning over here ever before. But with our summers getting hotter and hotter (and longer, it seems), the need is definitely growing.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Thursday/Friday have decent odds to be the hottest single days across the south-east - ever. So ya you came at an interesting time.

As for food I don't know much around there but there is a weird pub called the Churchill arms filled with insane memorabilia and an attached Thai restaurant which is pretty decent and cheap if relatively basic.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

caberham posted:

Anyone have a Knightsbridge food recommendation?

Burger And Lobster

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Steakandchips posted:

Burger And Lobster

I like this. Never had the burger. Lobster roll is excellent.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

ineptmule posted:

I like this. Never had the burger. Lobster roll is excellent.

Lobster roll is legit! The bread roll is a little soft and goes well with the lobster.

The burger is alright but the bun is more euro style being a softer brioche.

Still it’s a good restaurant recommendation thanks goons.

At salt yard again and it’s nice to try a late night meal.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

You're welcome.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I hope you get better and we can go out and eat some food. It would be nice :shobon:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks man I hope so too! :)

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Saros posted:

Thursday/Friday have decent odds to be the hottest single days across the south-east - ever. So ya you came at an interesting time.

As for food I don't know much around there but there is a weird pub called the Churchill arms filled with insane memorabilia and an attached Thai restaurant which is pretty decent and cheap if relatively basic.

Assuming its not changed too much in the last 5-6 years, Churchill Arms is a cracking little place.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I agree, it's great. A feast for the eyes and a chilled place to be. Not eaten there but the food smells amazing.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Has anyone else been to Galvin La Chapelle? Took our dad there for his 80th recently. It was loving incredible, not just the insane food and wine but the whole experience. I went once before a number of years ago and I honestly had forgotten how good it was.
Then again I've not been to many really nice restaurants so I could be over egging it. But if anyone is looking for a great place to go for a special occasion it's one to bear in mind. Also not too crazy expensive if you book set menu places.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Huh, I've never been in a Burger and Lobster but I work close to the Bank one, so I thought I'd look at the menu. Dang that's a lot for a lobster roll.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

El Grillo posted:

Has anyone else been to Galvin La Chapelle? Took our dad there for his 80th recently. It was loving incredible, not just the insane food and wine but the whole experience. I went once before a number of years ago and I honestly had forgotten how good it was.
Then again I've not been to many really nice restaurants so I could be over egging it. But if anyone is looking for a great place to go for a special occasion it's one to bear in mind. Also not too crazy expensive if you book set menu places.

Yeah me and a friend had a very decadent night out a few months back which involved barafina for first dinner and La chapelle for second dinner and yes absolutely loved it. Thought it was really fantastic food and great service so can definitely second your recommendation.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

The_Doctor posted:

Huh, I've never been in a Burger and Lobster but I work close to the Bank one, so I thought I'd look at the menu. Dang that's a lot for a lobster roll.

I’ve not been for ages. What’s the price these days?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ineptmule posted:

I’ve not been for ages. What’s the price these days?

£25 :negative:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

wtf. it used to be 20 quid about 4 years ago.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

There's Smack on Dean Street that does them for £16, or the lobster and shrimp for £12. That's far more reasonable.

EDIT: Huh, looking at the Smack website, it's actually an offshoot of Burger & Lobster, Didn't realise that.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 28, 2018

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I finally walked by dishoom in covent garden. The line was insane and went across the other building

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh yeah, the no reservations thing is honestly ridiculous. You can make a reservation for breakfast or lunch.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Going to end up having a few meals around Paddington station to wrap up our trip in a week or so. Any recommendations for restaurants that won't be mad we've got a 1 year old while also having decent food?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress

Hawksmoor Sunday roast is humbling. Thank you thank you goons

The layers of fat, meat, oil, salt, pepper, juice, raw meat, well done meat, in different layers blanketed on each other, like layers of flavor upon layers of tradition, history, texture

I may be eating in som dingy basement on a wet Sunday but my heart is elevated!

You guys brought me salt yard and hawksmoor.

This place beats savoy grill hands down in terms of price, food, just not service but who cares it’s cheaper

And any of you goons want to go to Hong Kong, shanghai, Tokyo, Bangkok

Hit me up. Hong Kong I can host and others I know pretty well

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
gently caress I need new pants

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Glad you enjoyed it! I’m not sure I’d describe Hawksmoor as a dingy basement though. :P

My BF and I are planning on doing a tour of Japan, with a couple of stops in HK and Singapore as well, so I might hit you up!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I really want to go to Hawksmoor for Sunday lunch but my wife is vegetarian and she wouldn’t go and I don’t think she’d be delighted if i trotted off one Sunday and left her with my son most of the afternoon.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

I really want to go to Hawksmoor for Sunday lunch but my wife is vegetarian and she wouldn’t go and I don’t think she’d be delighted if i trotted off one Sunday and left her with my son most of the afternoon.

:sever:

I’m sure there’s a vegetarian menu in there.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

Glad you enjoyed it! I’m not sure I’d describe Hawksmoor as a dingy basement though. :P

My BF and I are planning on doing a tour of Japan, with a couple of stops in HK and Singapore as well, so I might hit you up!

Yeah sounds great, just skip Osaka and I know some Tokyo goons and food goons there. if it’s a weekend in japan I don’t mind going. But a lot of the sushi places require a month in advance booking. Singapore goons are cool as well

Baaaahhh so much for dieting. Anyways going to another curry place tonight

caberham fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 29, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

caberham posted:

Yeah sounds great, just skip Osaka and I know some Tokyo goons and food goons there, if it’s a weekend in japan I don’t mind going.

Baaaahhh so much for dieting. Anyways going to another curry place tonight

Well my friend lives in Ashiya by Osaka, so I have to go there...

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

Well my friend lives in Ashiya by Osaka, so I have to go there...

:rip:

Just have your friend take a train to Kyoto and meet you there :downsrim:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
What's wrong with Osaka?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Just walked to dishoom in covent garden and we waited from 830 to 905pm. The staff was nice to offer hot ginger milk tea.

Ordered the ruby chicken, lamb biriyani, lamb samosa, paneer tikka, and a salted lassi.

The food was really good, and I’m surprised at the biriyani technique, not oily yet aromatic and the chunks of lamb are evenly spread yet perfect without much gristle and sinew. The portion between the ruby chicken sauce and biriyani is a perfect ratio. Only salted lassi was a bit meh but whatever.

I think going in there at 10pm or sometime near closing would be better because it’s not that fun to wait in line and management is not smart at organizing people. Maybe I’m just being Asian or used to busy places dealing with crowds. Customers after waiting over 30 minutes still take another 10 minutes looking at the menu and being indecisive when seated. management put two of us into a 4 man table.

They also made everyone line in one giant line instead of sorting into multiple lines of different groups like 2,3-4,5+

We spent 35 minutes waiting for a 30 minute meal but staff were happy to see us ready with our orders, eat , chit chat a bit and then gtfo instead of lingering forever when there’s still a big line waiting outside 930pm. Anyways it’s a great restaurant but I don’t think it’s a place you should go out of your way. We were really tired and didn’t want to be too lazy after a week so it’s nice to do something laid back and wait (and then complain about the wait like typical city assholes)

It’s an inside joke in the japan lan and travel threads that I really hate Osaka, on multiple occasions goons get me new avatars.

Osaka is a really average city without much culture and its street food is really hohum compared to its surrounding countries. If you spend time in Osaka, you might as well spend the same amount of time in Tokyo where you get better variety, taste, quality. The only great thing about Osaka is its proximity to Kyoto and staying in Osaka is really a waste of time especially when you have less than 2 weeks.

Osaka is like the Frankfurt of japan, yes it’s a big city but there’s not that much to offer.

I keep on hammering to people that Osaka is bad and people don’t really understand me until they go to Osaka and realize “yeah Osaka is pretty bad I guess”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
The Frankfurt of Japan is very descriptive, thanks.